“Fantastic !!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

You added Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Los Boliches
“Fantastic !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

It's taken me months to write this review. We enjoyed our holiday so much we have booked to go back again this year. Ok, initially I was disappointed that we were so far away from the main town, normally we like to go for long walks and mooch around shops, stop in a few bars etc etc. however, once we did go into playa del carmen I was quite pleased that we were so far away. This was the first holiday resort we have stayed in where we were both able to totally switch off from work and home worries. We stayed at the white sands last year, which was great, but we basically paid the extra money to have a bath tub in the middle of the room. This year we are off to colonial or kantena can't remember, but for us it's going to be better as we used the beach at the colonial end and used the bars at that side of the complex. It truly is a hotel I fell in love with and can't wait to get back there. The only thing I struggled with was the wine, not the nicest but add a few blocks of ice and we were ready to rock and roll. Restaurants, the Italian was the best we went to, we never got to the steak house so can't comment but that's our personal choice. Oh, wasn't overly keen on the cats that roamed the lobby in white sands, but again, personal preference. Roll on December !!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear barlation,

For us, the opinion of our guest it's very important. Thank you for your time and comments.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Polish first
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I read a lot of reviews before our trip, both the bad and good are true. The resort is huge and beautiful, if you want to do nothing this is your place. If you want to eat great food, this is not your place! Our room was clean and nice size (kantenah villa 45 standard room), which they moved us from the colonial side because the cable was out. I am glad I asked because we all got sick, my son 11 got the worst of it, 36+ hours in bed, I wine tot the lobby to try to get his some crackers and rice but your are not allowed to bring food in the rooms which I can understand (ants in our room) but under this situation I was really not happy. I went to the gift store and got some pretzels and Gatorade ($17) finally Omar called the manager and got us some rice. The in house doctor will cost you $129 for the visit....the point is that if you get sick from the food ( no water other than bottle was consumed) I think the hotel should do everything they can to make you feel like you matter, not this place. The Italian restaurant was good, that was our favorite, all others including the buffet are average. I did see a buss boy rinse teaspoons in water and put them back out!! The transportation was having issues over Father's Day weekend so it took us 45 minutes to get from one lobby to another, walking was out since my son still was not well and the Mosquitos where everywhere. The resort itself is nice,the shows are great, the pools are clean and big and the beach is beautiful. Our fridge/minibar did not work, i called the reception and the lady said it is not suppose to be cold....The staff... The ones that wait for a tip are just there, the ground keepers are very friendly and always had a smile. Bring your pillows you will thank me, and don't forget mosquito repellent. Also, bring shampoo and soap. No need to bring beach towels. Don't forget pepto and diarrhea meds.

Room Tip: Kantenah is great, villas under 45 are the closest to the lobby. Colonial is in the middle of all t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear GA71Atlanta,

I would like to offer you our apologies for the incidents that you have had during your vacation. In every moment, we have staff for help our guest and for us it's very important that we have the information in the moment. I will take note about your comments and I will share this with the rest of the team for improve our work every day.

If we can help you with anything in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a wedding and the resort is huge. Make sure you stay at the central resort otherwise you will be riding the train they have all day to get back and fourth to your room. The resort itself is beautiful though and the staff are friendly! It's about a 15 min ride to plays del carmin. Overall good experience here

• Stayed November 2012
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Sarah5599,

Thank you for your comments.

charlotte
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was my second time to this resort. My first visit was July 2002 when the property only contained 2 resorts called Fiesta Grand Colonial and Fiesta Grand Kantenah Resort and Spa. My mom and two children were also on that trip and it was the most amazing brand new property. At that time we stayed on the colonial side. Everything about that trip was awesome. Fast forward to 2013 and my 5th trip to Mexico. My children really wanted to go back to this resort because we had such wonderful memories there with their grandmother before she passed away. I was excited about the expansion and only slightly concerned about some of the negative reviews on TA. This time we stayed on the Kantenah side from June 6-10. The Resort changed management 7 years earlier and boy does it show. This particular visit was less than pleasant. If you want just read about the worst, skip to the next to last paragraph of this review. Otherwise, here it goes: an honest in depth review.

The room: Clean but lacking on comfort. The Junior suite at Kantenah was clean an nicely decorated following the renovation. We had housekeeping service until the last 48 hours. We had to flag down a housekeeper on day 2 down for extra bath cloths and towels because the front desk told us with a junior suite we only get 2, no more. There were 3 people assigned to our room, so I found that to be weird that we each could not have a bath towel and wash cloth. The mattresses and pillows are stiff. You could pay for upgraded pillows for a fee. What a joke. The television had a few Spanglish channels and a Florida news channel, but we didn’t watch much TV until the last 24 hours or late at night. The internet was free only in lobby. Internet in the room was 11 per day, per device and supposedly you pay for first device and second is half off, but this turned out to be a lie upon viewing my bill. I paid full price for both ipads. If you need hourly usage, just go to the lobby.

The grounds: Overall still well maintained. The various plant and animal life (iguanas) are interesting. Be mindful of the snakes, roaches, and huge spiders. The beach is better than we remember. Still lots of seaweed as you go out into the ocean but not nearly as much as the first trip. We African American and do not need to tan so we looked shady spots at the pool but there still weren’t enough. Many of the unoccupied pool chairs had bird poop but we managed. We also noticed the water in the surrounding aquatic lakes was murky and often gave off a gassy moldy aroma. I guess the fish could tolerate the water since they were still swimming and not dead. LOL. But the water was clearly the main breeding ground for the ferocious mosquitos. Speaking of which, be sure to bring everything you can and need to repel them. Bug spray was ridiculously expensive in the generally store something like $20. I think this is a setup, so BE PREPARED for the prices. Small bag of chips $4. Toothbrush $6. Just CRAZY from our observation!

The food and food staff: Staff in the in the buffets appeared tired and overworked. Very rarely did one happily great us with a smile. Many seemed preoccupied with their 2way radios to greet, give help or answer questions from guests. Some would offer to get you a drink and never come back with it. I guess they were so busy they kept forgetting. We have a less than positive overall experience with the food this second trip. First trip to Sumptori 11 years ago was awesome. This time, the service from Felipe at Sumptori was friendly but super slow. We were not allowed to reserve a hibachi table because upon arrival, the staff stated the restaurant was already booked for every night we would be onsite. My salmon had a bad odor indicating it was not fresh. My daughter’s steak was tough, overcooked and tasteless. We did not like our soup nor appetizers and we waited 45 minutes for dessert before finally leaving with none. On the other hand, we enjoyed fresh, tender steaks, appetizers, and dessert at El Dorado. Victor was great, had us laughing and was very friendly. Our desserts were so cute. At hacienda, neither the breakfast buffets nor lunches were tasty although there were countless choices. We didn’t know what a lot of the food was. The food was often bland and tasteless. The breakfast bacon was greasy and pancakes were rubbery, chewy in texture. The syrup was weird. The fruit was not sweet like I’ve come to expect from the Caribbean. We spotted roaches around one of the food stations containing bread, yuck! I finally settled on fresh omelets for breakfast since it was cooked well and I was sure to pray over every meal that it would not harm me. LOL. We did enjoy a few of the cooked foods at Gran Azul and this became our choice buffet spot for the best meals and drinks. The wide variety of dishes including rice, chicken, pork, veal, turkey, steamed veges, etc. were good, but I wouldn’t dare touch those weird open air salads with all the bugs jumping on and off. The biggest thing I did not like at gran azul was the birds. They were swooping and pooping all over the place. Either the staff did not grab left behind food fast enough or children kept feeding the birds drawing them in. My daughters are old enough to drink alcohol. We tried different ones, some good and some not. I believe in tipping, but never tipped because but that did not seem to change the mood of any of the servers from what we observed. The bar tenders seemed to be rushing all the time and never took time to really great you or smile or say thank you to those who did give tips. Ungrateful and plain rude, so they did not get a dime from me.
Entertainment: We did not participate in any pool or motor sports on the beach and we observed that no one else was either. It was way too hot for tennis. We looked at the entertainment board but saw nothing interesting. We found it hard to stay entertained. My daughters and I did see a couple shows after dinner to pass the time. We were not expecting anything Broadway like or what you’d see on a RC cruise and you should not either. Look out for the vendors that set up in the walkways in the evening. They are looking to make $$ so spend if you like. Other than the weak shows, there really is NOTHING MUCH TO DO HERE. There is no interaction from staff with guests (except a few pool games). There was a private party on the beach one night. The music was current and it seemed like fun from what we peeped. It would be so much fun if the hotel could host a big beach party like that for all the guests like they do in Jamaica.

Spa: My daughters and I enjoyed the nearly vacant spa pool for an hour. Then we each had a 30 minute back massage. It was such a relaxing environment. I cannot remember the name of the young lady who gave my massage, but she was wonderful! The staff was very kind over there and the price was reasonable.

Reasons I will NEVER return: THE POOR SERVICE!! The Colonial front desk staff, resort management, and some of the trolley/golf cart are rude, unhelpful and insincere. Even though we stayed at Kantenah, check-in was done on the colonial side for some reason. The process was not slow likely because we arrived during a less than busy day and time, but the lady checking us in was rude and she had a slight attitude. No one greeted us with cold drinks as usual when we have come to other resorts in Mexico. What a cold welcome. Now here is the kicker, on Friday morning, I booked a Sunday excursion to Xcaret with my credit card with no issue. On Saturday afternoon, I attempted to pay for spa services and later photos services only to discover that my card was declined. I immediately knew that my bank did not make the proper notes as requested that I would be travelling internationally. So I approached the front desk, explained my situation, and requested to make 1 – international call to my bank. I was refused no matter who I asked or how many times I explained that I could not settle my charges without someone allowing me a call as I only own 1 credit card. I was told there was no supervisor or manager when I asked to escalate. A very nice lady from a third party company onsite overheard my pleas and was able to take us to use the phone at her manager’s office at white sands. I settled the credit card matter in 3 minutes. On the way out to get on the trolley back to Colonial, one of my daughter’s twisted her ankle on the uneven concrete which caused her to slip and fall into the dirty water fountain at white sands. Her knee was skinned very badly and she needed immediate medical attention to prevent infection from that nasty water. Upon arrival back to Colonial lobby, the nice lady who helped us requested medical assistance for my daughter. Within moments, hotel security and a manager named Alberto came out. At his request, I explained how my daughter’s injuries occurred and why we had to go next door to white sands. He had me to write a statement of these events. I told Alberto if we had been allowed to make 1 quick call, my daughter would not have been injured. Instead he tried to blame the lady who escorted us to white sands. It was ridiculous how he lied almost got her fired for no reason. Alberto said his staff should have called him when I asked for a manager instead of refusing to assist us and that he would talk to them about their behavior. This seemed like the ‘typical response around here’ and I didn’t believe him because he eventually disappeared doing nothing more to make up for my daughter’s injury except to say that they will pay for the medical bill. Of course you will because the uneven pavement that caused the fall was not our fault! Later that Saturday evening we just happened to pass by another property manager named Eduardo, who told us that my daughter’s antibiotic had arrived. I guess he recognized us from my daughter’s bandaged leg. I stopped to converse with him. I explained that I recognized his name from the online TA reviews and proceeded to tell him how disappointed I was in how we’d be treated thus far by Ricardo, Mario and the other staff. Silly me for thinking he’d be sympathetic. Eduardo said he felt any efforts on his part to help me would be pointless because he felt nothing he’d do would make me happy. Ironically, this was before he even tried. At this moment, I knew I knew the rest of my stay would feel like an eternity and by golly it did! Long story short, Eduardo did allow us to use the fax machine to communicate with our insurance company regarding my daughter’s injury, and he allowed us to print our airline tickets before leaving the hotel. But these things did not occur before battling with the resort front staff each time. It was like a never ending saga. The other thing that I noticed is that never once did Eduardo smile or seem sincere. He had the most piercing eyes that appeared to say “I’m only helping you because I want to get you the hell out of my face and off my property”. This is how I felt each time when dealing with him, but he was my only hope to get anything done. I was very kind to Eduardo, yet he like the other manager did nothing to make any amends for what had happened. Now, the doctor onsite Miguel, who was employed by third party company was very kind to me and my daughter and he took very good care of her injury while there. He was very gentle and checked my daughter thoroughly. Golf cart drivers on the other hand, would not give us a ride on a few occasions even after seeing my daughter’s leg in bandages. We just waited around for a driver who had a heart. Sadly, my daughter’s injury also prevented us from going to Xcaret on Sunday where we were to meet up with my best friend and her family who we had not seen in a very long time. We were very lucky to get a refund from our tour company. On Sunday, we attempted to go home early since Xcaret was cancelled, but it took so many hours between fighting with the front staff for service and working with our insurance company. By the time we got the approval notice to change our flights, we’d missed the last transfer to the airport to catch the last flight out. So we wasted an entire morning and afternoon thanks to the horrible front staff at colonial once again. I finally called for Eduardo, settled my spa and internet charges and retired to the room to try and sleep away the rest of my evening hours, but I tossed and turned all night long. I was so irritated and thrilled to leave that I didn’t even realize until returning home that I was overcharged by Eduardo. Luckily, it wasn’t enough to worry about disputing though, I was just happy to be home.

To everyone reading this, I’m sorry to bore you all with such a lengthy, wordy review but I felt compelled to tell of our specific 2nd experience. This resort is NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE. We encountered several people from Mexico, US, and England who also felt the same as we did. The employees at this resort simply don’t know what it means to give even basic customer service. If management doesn’t know what service is, you certainly can’t expect employees to know. Don’t believe all the management response on TA reviews. They do not address customer satisfaction issues with the staff from what I can see. Please spend your money elsewhere….maybe check out Paradisus La Esmeralda in Playa Del Carmen…my friend loved it there and it’s about half hour closer to airport than this resort. PS, avoid the Royal Suite Time Share Presentation. It’s severely overpriced and a waste of time. Anyone know of an experience international attorney, please email me.

Room Tip: Kantenah is renovated, Colonial is not.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Lisa,

First of all, I would like to offer you our sincere apologies for any incident you and your family could have had during your vacations.
Anytime, we try to help our guests on what they may need during their stay and in your case, it wasn’t an exception.

We’ve helped you with phone calls you asked us but you told us you wanted to speak with your bank and we explained you the procedure to follow and that this call would generate an extra fee. I’m sorry that it upset you.

Further to your daughter’s accident, I’m really sorry that it happened and believes me that at anytime we have not acted in bad faith. Since we heard about it, we offered you as a courtesy, to take in charge the medical service and the medication.

Mr. Eduardo helped you with the process of the reimbursement of the Xcaret tour and also your airline.

I’m really sorry that everything we did wasn’t enough and believes me that we´ll take note of your feedback to try to improve our service day after day.

If in the future we can help you with anything, please contact us.

Kind regards,

dtor.colonialkantenah@palladiumhotelgroup.com
Swindon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

We traveled to the Palladium in July 2012 and had the best time ever, yes this resort is huge but getting around is easy using the little golf type trolley buses and carts, the beach is superb although is a little rocky in places so beach shoes are a good idea. We stayed in the Colonial section block 7 which was OK as it was close to the main pool and the beach, it would have been nice to have a little more than jungle as a view from the balcony but hey how long do you stay in your room.
THe food was amazing, we ate in the al a carte restaurants on most evenings and never had to wait for more than an hour at best for a table, the food was always very good, hot and served in good time, the wine was ok as well and as for the staff they were brilliant.
The pool areas are very nice, clean with plenty of activities during the day which are great fun, never had to search for a pool bed at any time of the day either we came down around 9.30 each day and there was hardly anyone around, take you pick.
All in all and baring in mind we have been to Mexico and various AI resorts before this was the best we have stayed in, so much that within. 2 weka of arriving home last year we have booked again for this Year and arrive in resort on the 11th July with two of our best friends in tow, I have seen many people posted on this site that have submitted negative feedback, well we all have our opinions but believe me you will not find a nicer, cleaner and more friendlier resort anywhere in my opinion and we are counting the days to when we arrive this year, just hope that we get an upgrade as most people seem to do, would be very nice and will just be the icing on the cake for what is going to be another truly great vacation. BTW already started to look at vacations for next Year and so far I am struggling to find one as nice as the Palladium so looks like 2014 will be our. 3rd time there.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Dave C,

Thank you for choose Grand Palladium again for enjoy your holiday. We appreciate your confidence in Grand Palladium.

If we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We arrived back a couple of days ago, had the most amazing time. It was our 25th Wedding Anniversary so decided to treat ourselves and go somewhere a bit special. we could not have picked anywhere better. The whole complex is amazing. Our room was lovely, one of the comfiest beds I have ever slept in, no problems with the pillows. The pool areas were lovely, plenty of sunbeds, some in the shade if that is what you want. They did come in handy as it did get really hot. The only problems we had once or twice there were with the younger Americans, who back home are not old enough to drink, were waiting for the pool bars to open at 10am and by lunch time were quite drunk and a few of them very loud!!
The restaurants we tried were excellent, our favourite was Sumptuori, the Japanese. The beef in the is to die for. One of our nights in there was almost ruined by the people sat at one of the show tables, they must have been having a competition of who could be the loudest and most irritating. There were 2 very loud American women talking so loud they could be heard all over the restaurant, and sat on the table with them was an English man with his family, who was louder and talked so much rubbish. In fact, he was so bad I was embarrassed to be English. There were people all around sat there shaking their heads, it really was awful. Luckily they left 15 minutes after we arrived, so everyone could then enjoy their meals in peace. There were audible sighs of relieve as they all left. I know they are on holiday too, and are entitled to enjoy themselves but a bit of decorum and consideration for others would be appreciated.

The lobbies are lovely, a cool breeze blows through them and are a really nice place to sit and enjoy a cocktail or two. There is 4 to chose from, all of them very pretty.

The wildlife is everywhere, we even saw a sea eagle fishing and pelicans too. The only wildlife we could have done without was the mosquitos. We were bitten beyond belief, nothing we used made a difference, so my advice is to take a piriton once a day and you won't feel any of the irritation, problem solved!!

Would we go back?? Yes, like a shot. We have read so many negative things on here but I can't understand why. The place is stunning, the staff are lovely, always got a smile and a "Hola", the food and drinks are quality. We even had a free room upgrade because it was our Anniversary, with a bottle of champagne in the room when we arrived. We have not been to Mexico before and this was our first all inclusive and it far exceeded our expectations.

We did a trip, organised by Thomson, to Chichen Itza. the tour guide, Martin, was from the Mexico tourism board, he was so informative and one very funny man. The trip was really very well organised, we were constantly being given drinks to keep us hydrated as it has so hot there.

If you are thinking of booking to stay here, do it. It is an wonderful place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear thebutlersManchester,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for share with us your comments.

If you decide to visit us again, don't hesitate to contact with us.

With best regards,

wilts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We are a 50+ couple and this was our 2nd Al Inc holiday, there are lots of hotels to choose from in Mexico but believe me you wont go wrong with this Resort, Firstly we travelled on the 16th May from Bristol via Manchester, no delays and the flight did pass pretty quickly, Cancun airport was swift, no delays, you can expect the usual hassle as you exit the airport for taxis, etc but nothing major, the road from Cancun through to Tulum is straight and fast, all along the route you see jungle, lime green euculiptus looking trees , entrances to hotels and little else.
On arrival at the Hotel we were given an upgrade to a junior suite, in the colonial section, we were in villa 21, there are covered and uncovered walkways and cobbled looking roads with old fashioned lamp stands, the noise from the birds is amazing, you can also hear the ocean in the distance, from our villa we could reach the buffet, pool, and beach in no time, and there is easy access for people with disabilities too, as well as a main pool each hotel has an adult pool, which was bliss, there was a small bar at each of these serving drinks, daytime activities are full on at the main pool, poolside had ample shade and sunbeds, you could even get a bed in the middle of the afternoon, there are also childrens sections in the pool, poolbeds, swim up bar, water jets, and a huge area for swimming,
Beach bars are busy and serve food all day,
There are traders in a small section selling souveniers, models advertising beach wear that you can buy, photographers, trips the list is endless. there is also a crocodile area.
At the white sand section there is a free boat trip which takes you around the lake, and on route the driver will point out birds fish etc.
The beach at the colonial section does shelve steeply and is not well covered, but entry into the sea at this section is the best, you can walk for miles either way on the beach, to the left and beyond the marriage point you will come to the salt water pool, i have to admit the chairs at this pool are not the most comfy,
There is a beautiful spa, with hot and cold pools ifinity pool and lazy river, its a shame people dont shower before entering the pool, and to be honest i couldnt see the point of taking drinks into the spa, the massage was good, my only complaint was that i could have done with a heated massage bed, i found the room to be very chilly!! we heared that there will be a charge for this facility next year.
Disappointingly we didnt see many fish in the sea whilst we were there, and there are signs on the beach warning of stringreys,
The weather was very hot during our first 10days, but very windy in the afternoon, dont be deceived you will still need high factor suncreams,
Access to all 4 hotels is easiest from the beach if you intend to cover all by foot,
Small buggies and a train transport you from one section to another, although we felt they did need more carriages at night after a show at the Riviera, and also after the white night, it was also a pain having only one ladies loo in this area.
We did do the BBQ, but for me it was far too windy and the food was just ok
On the whole our food was excellent, ok so we had a few not so good,but perhaps chef was having an off night, it happens,
There are shows at the Colonial and Riviera, and bands playing in the lobbies of each hotel.
In the evening I loved the Salsa, Bachata, Meringue, and the interaction of the animation team, great for people who enjoy latin american dance.
Segway is a must, do it sooner rather than later!
Playa del Carmen Fab beach, but it could have been anywhere in the world just one street of shops all wanting your business. Badly....
Akumal beach and swimming with the turtles amazing!
Tulum Fab and take your swim stuff, amazing waves.
Coba Fab you can still walk to the top and you get there by hiring a cycle and cycling through the trees.
Xplor park is the most amazing fun, check it out on you tube, take a pair of water proof shoes swim kit, towel and change of clothes,
Trips can be done easily by bus or taxi, the stop is directly outside the hotel,
The Wildlife at this hotel is awesome!!
A few tips : Take US Dollars, ladies take some comfy shoes or wedges, a good mossie spray (B1 and garlic capsules about 2 weeks before your holiday also help)
check out " palladium addicts " web site for more info on the resort
We had a 24 hour delay on our return and got moved to a villa in the whitesands section it was an ocean view room with a jacuzzi, spacious and lovely, with bath robes,
Loved Zumba at the pool, Salsa with Chuck, and George!!!
Every member of staff works really hard night and day to make this place special, so if you are looking for a different holiday experience one that you wont forget then book it today, you wont be disappointed. Thank you People of Palladium!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear WiltsSonia,

Thank you for taking time to share with us and other readers your good comments. It's a pleasure to know that you have had a great time with us.

Resident Manager

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!