“A week of enjoyment” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

You added Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Mississauga, Canada
“A week of enjoyment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Me and my wife stayed at this hotel one week between Mar. 23 and Mar. 30. This is truly wonderful resort. Transfer to the hotel was smooth and check-in was also swift. The hotel complex is very large with 4 lobbies. It seems to be overwhelming at the beginning but once you find your favorite spot and get to know how to go about moving with provided shuttles it is only advantageous. You can relax in various surroundings, spend evenings in different lobbies which at night offer great atmosphere, often with life music. The hotel is extremely picturesque, beautifully laid out, and literately located in the jungle. The compound is teaming with wildlife; colorful birds and animals present everywhere. Great spot for bird watchers. The beach is wonderful with sufficient amount of chairs, shade and drinking holes. Nobody bothers you on the beach, no vendors or any other distractions. Salt water pool area offers some privacy and alternative beach experience. Gorgeous large pools with bars, bubble springs, water sits. Adults only pool very nice, with its own bar.

Great room with large size jacuzzi, seating area, king size bed, balcony and safe for valuables. Spacious, clean with great service. If you wish you can have your sheets changed daily. If you leave a request on bed, your sheets will automatically be changed.

Food was very good, great variety at the buffets. Fresh squeezed juices were just wonderful. Great variety of restaurants which were really nice, everyone we went to was classy and delicious.

We were really taken aback by the service and work ethic of people working there. It was truly pleasure observing people like Eric in the Brazilian restaurant who simply is one of the best assets a hotel restaurant can dream about. This great waiter was so attentive and at the same time so efficient at muti-tasking that I even took time to find a manager and compliment him about the service. Similar experience in the Mediterranean restaurant where Julio made our time really enjoyable. Wonderful, hard working people, very friendly, engaging and helpful with our meager attempts to speak beautiful Spanish.

Lots to do. I took some scuba diving, which is offered right in the compound with boats leaving directly from the beach. We also took trips to Playa Del Carmen and Tulum. The hotel offers many attractive excursions but we took local taxis and small buses to travel between destinations. Small vans travel very often from a stop just few steps away from the main lobby. One way ticket to Playa Del Carmen or Tulum is $ 3.50 US. These so called Collectivo buses are easy to find but I should say the operators of those services find you faster. Both locations worthy of visiting, great sightseeing, restaurants and shopping. We felt very safe and appreciated.

I really recommend this hotel. It offers comfort, bit of luxury and so much variety of leisure that is great for families, couples or larger parties.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Frank P,

Thank you for taking time to share with us your comments. It's a pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your vacation.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a special place, based in a natural tropical forest which boasts plenty of nature and wildlife it really does feel like you're staying in luxury in the middle of the jungle. The wooden boardwalk pathways are endless and are beautifully lit at night time but its so easy to get lost!
When we first arrived we were given a map which it took days to work out! Im not a world champion in orienreering but it's not very clear. When we eventually found out feet, and worked out the way in to the buffet restaurants and figured out that the a la carte restaurants are spread out between the 4 hotels in the resort, we were more than fine! I went with my wife and my 2 year old son who all like a good stroll but for people who get tired there is a marvellous little train that commutes frequently between each lobby of the 4 hotels, great for when you need to catch the main show.
The rooms are really nice which get cleaned daily but a little tiny disappointed that there were no towel decorations made for us at any point during our stay which in other resorts had been one of many little touches that had made our holiday so unique. We were a little bit out of the way but as this resort is so big that is to be expected and the walk through the grounds is lovely anyway.
The beach in my opinion was a real let down as we are real beachies. Now this is not in anyway the hotels fault as its a protected part of the coastline for the turtles to come and nest. The sea is full of coral which makes it almost impossible to bathe bare foot. However there is one part of the sea which is clearly visible from the beach that is safe to enter as there is no coral, but this area is understandablly really packed so be prepared to get cosy with your fellow holiday makers.
The main pool in the colonial side is SO DEEP!! I am 5'10" and the water was at my chin when I stood up straight. This is the standard depth so just be aware of that one. The pool bar was great, although it does get quite crowded in the afternoon and my boy cut his arm on a broken tile but the bar staff were apologetic when they saw what happened and the next day it was fixed.
The restaurants are all top notch even the buffet restaurants, very clean with hand sanitiser on entry but everyone raved about the steak house, if I'm honest I've had better. Now in my opinion the restaurant reservation system is the best I've ever seen in an all inclusive resort. Go and ask for a table between 6 and 7.30 and you will probably sit down straight away. But 7.30 onwards they will tell you there is a 1 hour to 90 minute wait and they give you a buzzer. The most we waited was 40 minutes but we weren't really waited as we either took a stroll through all the arts and crafts that were on sale every night or went for a drink. No queuing- perfect. However, the system for reserving the Japanese restaurant needs looking at. 5 mornings in a row I queued up at the desk to reserve for the following night and only the 5th morning when I went down at 6am was I first in line for the 7am opening time. The problem is that most of the people in the line are a representative for multiple family's so one person will go down and reserve 1 tepenyaki table for 10 people based across 4 or 5 room numbers. So because there are only 5 or 6 tepenyaki tables in the restaurant, unless you are quite close to the front you will not get a table. It wasn't just me who was frustrated by this. It was worth the wait though it is the best restaurant in the resort.
The animals around this resort are free roaming there are racoons, coatis, endless iguanas. There are also flamingos, crocodiles (caged obviously) and parrots and monkeys you can have photos with. Watch out for the Mosquitos the repellant and wristbands out there are the only thing that seems to stop them. The stuff you buy at home they seem to love!
We also went on the boat ride through the lake in the middle of the resort which was great. There is a collectivo stop right outside the hotel on the main road to go to playa del Carmen which is about 2 dollars each. Or you have to go under a subway to the other side of the road to go to Akumel and Tulum. Definately worth doing on your own without the need for an excursion.
Overall this hotel is a fantastic place, oozing beauty and charm. A few cons don't quite get it to five out of five for me but it comes really close. You will definately enjoy it here.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear magicnic23,

Thank you for your comments and for your time. We appreciate this information.

With best regards,

Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We just came back from Grand Colonial - it was probably our best vacation at Caribbean. This hotel has it all - nice rooms, immaculate grounds, good food and drinks, very friendly and helpful stuff and great beach. We've been to Dominican, Cuba, Jamaica and Riviera Maya on several occasions before. I do like in general Dominican, but in Mexico level of resorts and food a little bit higher. The problem with Mexico always been rocks in the water and depending on the wind ocean can be rough. In this hotel, however, because of underwater reef even at strong wind the ocean is calm. There are rocks, but there are two quite big stretches at the beach where you enter and swim without any problems. I would still recommend bringing water shoes, but you don't always need them. Next door Barcelo where we've been two times and liked it a lot is probably a bit better hotel (but the difference is very-very small in appearance and food) doesn't have a beach like Palladium, so in our eyes Palladium is a clear winner.
I'm sure we will be back. Everybody in our family loved this resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear ITaveler,

Thank you for your good comments.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything in the future,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for Christmas 2012 and new year. It was our first time to Mexico and we had such a good time we would go back tomorrow. All was great really friendly helpful staff, extremely clean everywhere the staff seemed to constantly be cleaning, huge variety of food with the buffet restaurants and book able restaurants and it was all really lovely. The hotel is right by the beautiful white sand beach and is set in lots of green jungle it's set in huge grounds and u can go between all hotels apart from the suites area but so much to walk round, and plenty of beach and pools to choose from. It's good to get out and about and use the collectivo bus which picks u up from outside the hotel, it's cheap and gets u out and mixing with the locals. Playa del carmen is only a 15 min ride away and is great lots shops and beach is good. This was just the tip so much to do snorkelling with turtles, swimming with dolphins at xel ha, an amazing place to go. We will definitely stay at this hotel again can not recommend it enough!

• Stayed December 2012
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Boof22,

I am glad to know that you have had a great vacation with us.

With best regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Palladium Colonial from February 17th to March 3rd and there were 8 of us ranging in age from 30 to 64. We travelled for the first time on Air Transat and both flights were good and the flight staff were very pleasant. We booked USA Transfers (did seperate review for USA Transfers) so we wouldn’t have to take the bus since it is about an hour and 10 minutes away from the airport. We were happy with our service from USA transfers. When we got to the hotel there was no line up, we were served a cold and tasty drink, and were checked in quickly. The only thing I would say about check in is that the front desk staff could speak a little slower as we did miss a few things.

So off we go to our rooms and found they did not meet even half of our room requests. This is not a deal breaker for me but keep in mind that we booked 9 months in advance. We had asked to be in the same building and that request ended up with one couple 3 buildings away and 3 couples in the same building. We went on a waiting list and the couple was moved within a couple days to our building. We were in Villa 2 and had rooms on all three floors. The rooms are very dated. I have heard rumors about renovations starting on the colonial section this summer. All in all Villa 2 was extremely central for OUR needs. We didn’t mind the walk to the beach but were closer to the lobby for when we wanted to eat and for leaving the resort. Also, the bellboys took our us and our luggage to our room when we arrived and picked it and us up when we left which we really appreciated. Something that may be an issue for some people is the fact that none of the buildings have elevators.

After months of reading reviews I have decided that the pillow situation gets its own paragraph...lol. And quite simply…they sucked. The whole pillow menu thing is just a stupid way to generate some extra income for the hotel. I feel pretty confident that the Kantenah, White Sands, Riviera and Royal Sections do not have people grumbling about pillows. I don’t think it is too much to expect that any hotel which labels itself as 5 Star should not have thin and lumpy pillows. So rather than pay $3.00 per night on the pillow menu, we went into town and bought some and just left them there at the end of our trip. I have never read so many reviews where people were so unimpressed with the pillows. Our Mega Store pillows were perfectly acceptable and were 2 for $14.00US. If I can afford that than so can a huge hotel chain like the Grand Palladium.

Our maid cleaned our rooms in between 3pm and 5pm every day. That tells me that they maybe need a few more cleaning people on staff. We leave the room by 7am and are ready for a shower and some AC come 4pm. But the cleaner did an acceptable job and was quite pleased when he knocked on our door and we told him to just switch out the towels and don’t worry about cleaning the room. As a side note, there was a tip left every day. If we came back to the room and it was not done, the tip was put back in my wallet.

Another thing that hotel management needs to address happened in our friends room. They left money in the fridge and money on the bed. That way the barmen and the cleaners both get a tip. When we came back to the rooms, of course they were not cleaned but the mini bar was stocked and the money was gone from the fridge and the bed. Looks like the barmen think the tip on the bed is for them. Please tell them it is NOT!!!

The grounds are just gorgeous at this hotel. So much to do and see. No one in our group had any walking issues and the map was VERY easy to follow and we didn’t get lost at all. In fact, the walk was always enjoyable as there was so much to see. There were pretty birds, guinea pig looking things, iguana’s, coatis, racoon’s, cats, flamingos, alligators, the Koi pond and not to mention all the flowers and trees and foliage in general. And there were always carts and trains to take you elsewhere if you didn’t feel like walking. We saw an older lady slip on the marble walk way near the Colonial breakfast buffet and smash her face. Lot’s of blood so just a reminder to folks to be careful walking at any resort in Mexico as marble is very common and slippery.

There are 2 huge pools, 2 adult pools, a kids area, and a salt water pool. We checked them all out and thought they were great. We had no issues with pool temperatures. It was above 30 degrees Celsius every day so I wanted to go into cool water, not warm. The salt water pool was great for snorkelling but the bottom was very rocky so use water shoes.

The beach is absolutely stunning. I loved loved loved just sitting in my lounger and staring at the water. The sand is like flour and the water is clear and clean and completely turquoise. As a side note, we only had a couple days where we had problems getting loungers by the pool but the rest of the time it was no problem and we were out there around 9ish. The water was super warm and the waves were fun to play in. It would be a great idea to bring water shoes as the area is quite rocky in spots.

The food was perfectly fine. We did the buffet most times and had lunch at pretty much every place possible and tried one alacarte…the steakhouse and it was good. The presentation was lovely. As for the buffet, I can’t believe that parents watch their kid drop a bun on the floor and tell them to put it back in the dish. We saw many things like this take place throughout our stay. But we did see one of the managers tell a guest that fingers are not allowed and that is what the tongs are for. It is nice to see that they will chastise people for being pigs. They make you use hand sanitizer before you are seated at the buffet which is awesome. The wait staff work hard and treated us well.

A couple people in our group did the Segway tour and loved it. There is a weight limit of 220lbs they said so keep that in mind.

We did not utilize any spa treatments as we felt they were quite overpriced. However, you can use many areas of the spa for free. They have a lazy river with circle spa’s every 20 feet or so and once you go inside after the lazy river there is a hot tub, a super cold dunk pool, steam room, sauna, rock beds for your feet, showers, massaging jets, fruit juice, etc. There is also a small square pool with a few loungers beside that is maybe 20’x40’ and has a totally Zen view. I swear I was expecting a mama deer to step out with her twin fawns at any moment. Bottom line…take advantage of the spa. It was lovely.

There is also a little sports area for soccer, tennis, shooting and mini golf. We did the mini golf and holy crap is it hard. That made it an actual challenge and we enjoyed our game. Not that we ever cheated or anything (wink, wink).

We also wanted to make a comment that that Rock of Ages show on Thursday night at the Riviera Theatre was super good and played awesome music. The bartender there, Antonio, did an amazing job. Would highly recommend this show for some great evening entertainment. They also did nightly shows at the Colonial theatre as well so there was lots of choice for guests.

We left the resort multiple times and went to the places below:

1. Playa Del Carmen: Shopping and Dining - huge variety for both.
2. Tulum Ruins: Unbelievably pretty at the top.
3. Xplor Park: Zip lining, amphibious vehicles, cave rafting=fun!!!
4. Fishing: Caught barracuda and trigger fish. Was a little rough on the water but fun.

All in all, we were happy with our stay. We would definitely come back to this resort and would recommend to others. The few gripes we have are just some concerns that we would like management to be aware of and address. None of the issues I mentioned ever have been or ever will be deal breakers for us. If you are truly disappointed with your stay then I might be inclined to believe that no one will make you happy…lol.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear SilverBullet11,

Thank you for your comments. I would like to comment that all the request are subject to the disponibility of the resort. We always try to do our best effort. I am sorry that in this case this was not possible.

I will take note of all your observations and I will share this with the rest of the team for improve our work.

hereford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The hotel was superb. The a la carte restaurants were all exceptional. It is hard to believe the high standartd of food which you consistently receive on an all inclusive basis. The attention to detail was amazing. A simple example, related to breakfast, many varieties of homemade bread and pastries etc The a la carte restaurants served food of a high standard.The steaks were heaven!

Rooms. Gorgeous. Each room has a great coffee machine. It was always great to brew coffee and sit on the warm balcony at 8am before breakfast.

Pools wonderful. Entertaiment was available if you wanted to join in. I played a Pirate game to entertain my 9 year old son. I was not initially keen but ended up having a great laugh.

Beach lovely. Swam with fish.

Jason rep - First Choice. The best rep I have ever encountered. My son liked milkshake at night. I just enquired if I could buy it. He went and bought it for me. A rep who does your shopping!!

Grounds gorgeous.
Regards
Diana , James and Jean Jan13

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear HerefordCrunch,

It's a pleasure to know that you have had a great stay with us.

Thank you for your comments and your time.

Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The second time at this resort was not a Charm, I am not a chronic complainer and there are good points to this resort but I likely wouldn't stay here again.
This was my second time at this resort , the first time was in April of 2009 and at the end of my stay I wrote the resort about some of my concerns, let's just say at that time there were no apologies made, just excuses.
One of my concerns in 2009 was the under age drinking, believe me I'm no prude but kids atleast as you as 14 being served is ridiculous, I saw kids in groups ranging from 14-18 being served and not a little bit, A LOT! To the point I saw one girl being carried by two of her friends. Did they have parents there Yes and the parents are just as guilty but that doesn't make it ok in my books. This is dangerous, especially when you have staff egging it on. Beyond the dangers...its also annoying and disruptive to people who just want to enjoy their vacation,nobody wants to be around that.
The Rooms,the food and everything about this resort is becoming out dated, everything about this place from the crappy gym equipment, to the Buffet is essentially the same and often lined up to get in , if you want reservations for Japanese or the Fish restaurant you had better be waiting in line everyday at 7am....its 2013 folks! Speaking of the same...the lack lustre customer service is the same too the front line staff from the bell hops , to the front desk are unfriendly and you'd have to pry a smile on their face...not a good first impression, I work in the service industry and this is just a poor effort, a smile goes a long way, the saving grace for staff here is truely the Servers and Bar tenders, The Colonial should be thankful for them because they are truely their best people.
I will say the hotel did upgrade me because of the problems I had the first time but when you don't make an effort to change and become better when the same problems still exist then it really means nothing...we had one day of heavy rain and for some reason the room stunk REALLY bad after, I don't know why and maybe I don't want to know...I did wait a day to see if it would go away but it didn't, so I left a maintenance sheet on my rooms door "Musty Smell after the rain please freshen up" this was provided by the resort,first day...nothing...still smelled maintenance sheet not touched, second day...the same ...so I called and was told maintenance would be by...no one showed...ok...I told myself I'd live with it. That same evening I went to use my phone and no dial tone, I thought it was strange then I looked at the phone cord and it appeared as though a Rodent or animal of some sort chewed through the phone cord!!! I was upset and called the front desk from my brothers room, I told them about the phone and about the smell, I was told maintenance would be right there , NO ONE showed!!!
The next morning I was angry took the phone to the front desk and complained, not even an apology!needless to say the phone got fixed but the smell did not.
Upon check out I decided to ask for a late check out since our flight didn't leave till 9pm and my wife was sick,sunburnt and pregnant , the front desk agent said he would check if the room was available which it was...I was told I would be charged $10 an HOUR!!! For late check out, 10 BUCKS an HOUR?ludacris! Even after I explained my wife was sick, and pregnant,that she shouldn't be out in the heat, he was still wanting to charge, what kind of customer service is that!? That is certainly not above and beyond, infact she probably could have been dying and it still wouldn't have mattered...they still would have milked us for the 40 bucks!
All in all aside from the issues I had my vacation was good but it was good because I made it good, it had nothing to do with what the resort did, its a great spot ,but needs serious upgrading in both the rooms and customer service areas, funny enough...Fiesta Group wants to open another resort...why don't you tune up the one you have first!
I would not stay here again!"

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear bigdaddyeddy,

I have gave you a answer by mail to your comments. I would like to offer you our apologies again, and if in the future we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Resident Manager

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!