“Our best experience on the Mayan Coast -- Minutes to Akumal Beach to swim with the sea turtles” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

You added Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Hi vacationers,
We were just at the Grand Palladium Colonial during March Break 2013. We selected the older suites to be central (Villa 19 was where we were) and it was an excellent choice. The rooms were perfectly fine and we never walked more than 10 minutes to get to any pool, restaurant, etc in any direction.. In fact we only went on their "funny train" once. This was our 4th trip to the area and its the largest resort we have ever stayed at, which is a bit intimiating at first. We vacation throughout the Carribean so have a good idea of what works and what doesn't work and value for money.

What I liked about the place was the huge great beach, somewhat of a good reef but it was very choppy when we were there, a la carte restaurants/with first come first serve for the most part that were very good by resort standards, staff were very friendly and effective, and the abundance of nature all around. The birds, iquanas, funny mexcican racoons etc, were everywhere. I hate lining up to get chits for restaurants so this resort, nailed it perfectly!

Plus location. If you are a snorkelling buff, Akumal bay is a 10 minute cab drive away. We paid $20 each way plus tip and went twice. It is by far one of the best and most popular places to snorkle we have been to. It's up there with Turks and Caicos and i thought better than St. Lucia, but clearly a notch down from the Hawaiian islands. We once stayed at the Akumal Beach Resort right on the Akumal Bay, 7-8 years ago and Akumal was sleepy. Now its on the list for the eco-tour people. On our first day there, I counted 200 hundred snorklers in one area -- I kid you not. But that's okay because those 200 people saw between 10- 20 turtles plus the reef fish. Further out I saw a beautiful manta ray with wide wings - it was fantastic.. Here's my advice about Akumal beach: 1) bring your own gear or rent at the dive shot; 2) where a safety vest to inflate if tired for visibilitiy; 3) bring a water proof camera but tape the door shut with black electrical tape (i've gone through many cameras so take my advice here), be in a cab at 8.30, be in the water at 9 am, be out by 10 am and back at the pool by 1030. Do not, I repeat, go on an organized tour that stretchs it into a day trip. The boat from the resort at $40 each is a good alternative if you don't want to go by taxi. The main part of the bay is where most of the turtles are and as you swim south you hit the reef, etc. You need to have a plan for your valuables. Leave someone to guard, rent a locker at the dive shop or take it with you. The picture attached is of me swimming down. Curiously, my daughter took the picture and she was down 10-15 feet or so to capture the angle. Do not touch the turtles or bother them. My wife gave these two idiots heck who were trying to ride one! Lastly, remember that people drown in the bay. There is a lifeguard on a kyak but you need flippers and an inflatable vest. Just blow it up a bit and you will float. The risk is getting a cramp, panicking and drowning.

The other really good excursion is Telum which is more like 45 mins south by cab. I don't know the cost from the Paladium. if you go, do not go on a tour unless you enjoy standing in heat for hours and been taken to places to get your money, and use up a whole day. You paid good money to get to the Palladium, so why waste time elsewhere? Here's my advice: arrange a taxi and structure your departure so you arrive at about 7.45 AM. Gates open at 8 Am so you get to see the ruins without hoards of people in your pictures. An hour or so is enough time (skip the guide unless you are a history buff) and then hit one of the best beaches in the whole world right at the ruin. The Mexican tourist people use THAT beach in their promos all the time. I There is not WC or change rooms there so you need to be innovative with a towel. It's a grand experience. Bring drinks with you. I've been 3 times over the years and enjoyed it a lot.

Back to the hotel, the Colonial pool is great but was bit cold. The buffet for breakfast was really good but busy after 8 AM. My only complaint was the coffee. It was truck stop coffee. The beach bar (24hrs) makes a nice coffee. The machines in the lobby were terrible. I just had my one beach coffee a day and that was it. The Japanese and Asian a la cartes were good. In fact all were good. At the a la cartes, the idea is you wait for you turn, if busy the host gives you a beeper, have a drink, and then once you get a table you have a salad bar before the a la carte kicks in. They have a revolving adult night plan so check first if you have kids. Also, the paperwork to describe the restaurants at the resort is very poor, so if you can print it out in advance it would help.

There were lots of handicrafts for sale in the evenings at the hotel which was nice. The shows were so-so but who cares. I found it easy to get drinks always, tips help but the staff were respectful about it (unlike Cuba where tips make a huge difference in service levels).

If you are prone to bugs, bring bug juice and walk back to your room on the road not the paths (less bugs). Watch the raised walkways and some of the boards look like they are about to give way. Try to hitchhike a ride on a golf cart.

What else, lots of tennis and other activities.
Also, the outdoor pool provides a great vantage of the coast. It is quiet and the first ones there in the morning get the "outdoor beds".
Free wifi in the lobby which worked fine. If coffee was served before 10 Am in the lobby, the experience would have been complete for me.

Also, if you are in a large group, think about rechargeable walkie talkies. it's a big place so you won't randomly find them if lost, and walkies are way cheaper then cell phones and less valuable. $50 at Walmart gets you 2. A lot of people have them there (plus staff) so you need to find a less popular channel. We swear by them.

Bottom line, is its a perfectly fine place, just figure out whether location of room is more important to you than quality of room. I would definitely go back. It's not perfect, but what is in life? I'd say of all the 15-20 different resorts I've been to its much closer to the top than the bottom.

Enjoy whereever you go - you're lucky to be able to get away!

Best
Steveadventureguy

Room Tip: Try to get into 19 20 or 21 which are between the two pool/restaurant areas.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you Steveadventureguy.

It's a pleasure to know that your have had a great vacation with us. If we can help you with anything in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

With best regards,

Banesa Maria Burque
Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed at Colonial after 22 February 2013 for one week.
The resort is big and beautiful. That is a good point. You will definitely find one spot on your taste. Effort to protect the natural space, another good point.
The reception staff is Pro, but not too friendly and not warm. Generally I felt a cold politeness and not welcoming warmth throughout.
Very good and varied food at buffet. Japanese restaurant is a joke if you don't eat at Teppan.
The cocktails are tasty but beer and coffee are not. Cuban beer's is tasty but it is subjective. (my opinion)
The room was clean but nothing special. AIr conditioning is noisy and the refrigerator not working. I hadn't my best sleep because of a generator or something, who gave me constant audible sound all night. I could hear the highway from the balcony in the evening and night but i heard also the birds too sometimes.
Beach was a little crowded for my taste and the sea is full of rocks. Water shoes are recommended.I almost always find a place in the shade. Toilets near the beach are clean but crowded for women.
In conclusion holiday was ok even if it was overpriced. (1550)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ColonialKantenah, Manager at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you ionstancoi, for taking time to give us your feedback about your last holidays in the Palladium. All comments are very important for us and for improving our service and facilities every day.

Thank you again and please, don't hesitate to contact with us if you decide to visit us in the future.

Cordially,
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband and I just returned from the Grand Palladium Colonial; we had 26 friends and family members with us for our wedding there. This review will mostly focus on our wedding as I found an extreme lack of reviews containing actual content on weddings when I was doing my research for ours.

Brides - if you are a control freak, stop right now, a destination wedding is not for you! I chose a destination wedding because I didn't want to have to spend hours fretting over ribbon colours, making centre pieces, favours, ect. I wanted to have a fun and stress free wedding, and that is exactly what I got :) despite some worrying IT WAS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started off by emailing the wedding dept. at the resort and they hooked me up with Grace, who was fantastic and put together a wonderful day for us. Start the dialogue with the wedding dept. as soon as you choose this resort, as times book quickly for ceremonies, and they won't do 2 at the same time, even if you have chosen different venues. We were at the resort for 2 weeks and there were at least 10 weddings during that time.

The ceremony:

We decided that until we got to the resort and actually took a look at the different options for locations, that we wouldn't be able to choose our ceremony site. I am very happy that we didn't commit to something from home because pictures can be.... misleading. As the date got closer I started to feel that privacy for the ceremony was going to be important, and as I was browsing photographers websites I was getting a better look at the GPC's main wedding gazebo, and privacy wasn't looking promising (lots of rando tourists photobombing in the background). Looking at the pictures of the garden gazebo, and the beach pergola on the resorts' website though I felt that they might be better options for privacy. When we got to the resort and looked at the 3 different sites I was admittedly a little in shock that none of them offered privacy. No matter where you choose to wed you WILL have looky-loo's. taking pictures.
-the main beach gazebo (our pick):
It is located on the far side of the beach where it is too rocky to swim. The loungers aren't very close but there is a restaurant very close, with bathrooms to the side where the wedding party walks past. There is also a path that runs behind the gazebo that leads to the salt water pool. During the actual ceremony they stop people from using the path but they are free to walk along the shore. All that aside once we weighed our options this was the best one.
-the garden gazebo:
It is located near the colonial lobby, and there is a busy path leading to the rooms that runs near it. I guess it would have been more private than both beach options, and we debated this option for a while as it is lovely but really, if you are going all the way to Mexico to wed it just feels right on the beach.
-the beach pergola:
this is on the opposite side of the beach from the big gazebo, where the swimming is good. There are loungers extremely close to this location, a beach bar directly behind it, and the parasailing operation runs right near it. This would honestly be the least private option of all. As soon as we saw it we both agreed it would be the last choice.
The ceremony was at the beach gazebo in the end, and it was fabulous. It went by in a blur as I was on an "omg i'm getting married this is so exciting I look like a pricess lalalala" high so I barely noticed the gawking tourists. We had a non-legal wedding due to our flight times being changed last minute. I was a bit worried that the ceremony was going to end up sounding like a vow renewal, but after reminding Grace a few times that it had to look and sound just like a legal wedding - it did. The non-denominational minister was AMAZING. We didn't know what he was going to say beforehand and were amazed by how wonderfully it went. just beautiful.

The reception:
We had our reception at the Gran Azul, and were BLOWN AWAY by how nicely it was decorated and how much fun we all had. We opted for the 4 hour gala dinner - the cost was $50 per plate, but that covered the entire cost of the reception. The decor, drinks, private area, our own (amazing) wait staff, and use of sound system. I had no idea that it was going to be as decorated as it was, I was expecting not alot as I didn't pay for any extra. The 4 course meal was REALLY GOOD. The cake was so nice too! I wasn't expecting there to have been so much effort put into it so I was shocked when they brought it out. They had one of the ladies from the wedding dept. there the entire time too, to ensure everything went smoothly.

Random tips and info:
- if you choose the beach gazebo talk to the driver that takes you and your wedding party there for the ceremony, they dropped us off too close so all the guests could see us get off the golf cart, and wait for our turn to walk down the aisle. I missed that 'wow' moment of walking into view.
- it is windy. The beach was very windy the entire 2 weeks that we were there, so take that into consideration. (a large wedding the same day as us had their reception set up on the beach, and I can't imagine it went well considering how windy it was)
- the flowers were amazing. and not very costly. I was THRILLED with them :)
-some of the wedding charges have to be paid in cash at the resort, the rest when you check out. there are also deposits to be paid in advance.
-after our time was up for the 4 hour reception we were gently given the boot, but no worries as we moved to the Colonial lobby and continued dancing to the live band, and had just as much fun there! After jumping in a conga line I thought to myself I can't believe how much fun I'm having on my wedding night! I thought it would be great, wasn't expecting WOWW!!!!

The Resort:
It's huge, has lots for a big group to see and do, and was a good choice for us. It really isn't far to walk anywhere on the resort despite some people complaining about that. Ladies - unless they have a wedge leave your heels at home! I didn't wear any of the heels I brought as there was a lot of wooden walkways everywhere. The Mediterranean, Brazilian, and Japanese restaurants were our favourite.
The BEST BARTENDERS were Miguel and Alfredo at the Kantenah lobby bar. Thank you guys for being so wonderful to us :)

Our Room - Mayan Suite:
we loved it. If booking one make sure to get the top floor - there are only 2 levels but there are some big differences. Despite pre requesting a top floor room away from the inlaws we received a bottom floor room under theirs! After spending one night in it we got switched to a top floor room in a different building. The top floor rooms are less musty, and have an extra window that opens so they have a lot more light. Also if you are interested in using the outdoor shower the top floor is a must! You can see down into the bottom levels showers from a slight lean over the edge of a top floor balcony! no joke. The showers on the bottom floor have fancier tile work, but if you can't shower in privacy then what does that matter?

Lastly a BIG THANK YOU to Grace and every single person who helped make our wedding the most special day of our lives. The cooks did an amazing job on the meal and the servers were so sweet and attentive.

Message me if you have any questions about the wedding, I would be happy to answer them for you!

Room Tip: Go with a Mayan suite! worth it - so nice and their location is the best
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear SarahEN,

Thank you for your comments about our resort and staff, especially about the wedding as we understand is a very unique moment and every detail is essential. We are really glad to realize that you bring home good memories from such a special occasion.

Thanks again and please, do not hesitate to contact us for any further comment or for your next visit.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

As a returning customer I was disappointed this time around, it seemed that no one acknowledged the fact it was our second visit. I understand as booking under a different surname they may have not known, but the fact I told three members of staff and we still received nothing as a small gesture was very gutting! The hotel was still lovely, although the view wasn't as good as first time, and also there were a lot of repairs taking place or the bridges seemed to stay broken the 11 nights we were there. Also got to speak to q few guests and a lot had been upgraded on their first trip!!! One young couple told me that the whole coach load were upgraded to suites on their arrival! Even though when I asked I was told they were at full capacity and to come back tomorrow, which I did along with a hint to the guest relations manager! But nothing! And If I am honest, an upgrade would have been a huge gesture, we were more expecting a bottle or fruit basket, which others had in their rooms when upgrading or returning! Also we were informed the band colours were changed for returning customers which meant they were given 'better' service (not sure what that they got exactly tho when saying this)

Although very disappointed, we had a fantastic time regardless, food is great (altho I had an upset tummy for 2 days) staff are so friendly! And the hotel is huge so lots to do. Rooms could to with a revamp!

As an end note, I unfortunately don't think we will be returning mainly due to not being acknowledged as a returning customer!

Georgie
x

Room Tip: Adult pool is lovely and chilled and great bar tender Freddy! Also, best to go for dinner around 730...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
ColonialKantenah, Manager at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Georgieb753,

First and foremost, thank you for your comments about your holidays in our resort and in particular about our staff and service. About the issues that you said in your trip report, I would like to mention that it is important for us as a hotel to know how and where we fall short and what we need to do to better meet our guests’ expectations.

Concerning your comment about the second time visit, we really regret not to be aware about it in order to offer you a especial attention, but as you said, if you reserve with a different name, is difficult for us to track your history, that’s why we request always to contact us directly in advance to make sure we have the information.

I hope you can give us another opportunity and come back to let us show you the Palladium hospitality. If there is anything else that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
Cobble Hill, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We had our 6th trip to the Grand Palladium Colonial (Feb.14 to 28th) and again we were treated to an upgrade to the Mayan Suites, complete with outdoor shower. Many thanks to Eduardo Valdes, front desk manager. We continue to revisit this resort as it is a large and lush spot. My wife Linda and I really enjoy the live dancing music in the lobby every night, 3 hrs. The staff here are very warm and friendly. If you interact with them and get to know a bit about them you will have made a friend for life. They have great memories and many remember us year after year. There are many shuttles to move people with walking issues around the grounds. There are two very large pools and three adult pools. Our favorite is the secret pool, very lush and secluded, a good place to meet people. There are many a la carte restaurants and three large buffets. We prefer the excellent food at the buffets, as I would have to wear long pants(which I refuse to do in Mexico) to the a la cartes. We noticed that the wooden lounge chairs at the secret pool are in need of maintenance. Many were wobbly and some had broken back supports. The raised walkway to the Colonial lobby had a few missing hand rails, which were tied off with yellow tape. This needs attention asap. We had a great time and will continue to revisit as long as we can. Gary C.

Room Tip: We like a junior suite as it has more room. Mayan suite even better, with outdoor shower, no foggy m...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear gary c,

Thank you so much for your excellent comments about your last stay with us and especially about our staff. For us is really important to know the opinion of our guests and particularly when you have come so many times, as our goal is not only to make guests return but to make them feel more comfortable each time and to notice the improvements in our services.

We take very seriously your observations about maintenance at that spot, in fact we are already repairing the walkway and preparing the lounge chairs.

Thanks again and please, feel free to contact us for your next visit, so we can do our best to take care about your reservation.

Southend-on-sea,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Just spent 14 days at the Grand Palladium and could not fault any part of this hotel.
We E-mailed the hotel prior to our arrival as I was celebrating my 50th and we had also stayed at other Grand Palladium hotels we received a free upgrade to a villa, the room was lovely, room boy excellent service, mini bar filled each day,.
Choice of restaurants from Buffet, Chinese , steak house, Ribs&more , Italian are just a few to name all excellent service and food.
Loved the champagne for breakfast .
Main pools and adult pools , plenty of sun beds and entertainment if you we're feeling energetic..
The grounds are outstanding , well kept. Totally relaxing holiday. Would highly recommend

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ColonialKantenah, Manager at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear 926Debbiet102,

I would like to thank you for your excellent comments about your stay in our resort and especially about our staff and service. For us is very important to know the opinion of our visitors, particularly when is not the first time in Palladium, as our goal is not only to make guests return but to make them feel more comfortable each time and to notice the improvements in our services.

In the name of the Grand Palladium team, thank you very much and we look forward for your next visit.

Waltham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

A very large and a very nice resort. Friendly staff. Plenty of restaurants and bars and shops. I walked the grounds many times during my seven night stay. Rooms could benefit from having modern flat screen TVs. Wonderful, lush grounds. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: There are no elevators - at least not in the "Colonial Number 3" I was in. Nice balcony.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ariesgal04,

I would like to thank you for your nice comments about your holidays in Grand Palladium, it is really gratifying to realize that you enjoyed your stay and you could bring good memories from your vacation.

Thanks a lot and please do not hesitate to contact us for any further comment or if you decide to visit us again.

Best regards,

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!