“mrs p denford grimsby” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

You added Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“mrs p denford grimsby”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

we went for my partners 50th and when we got there they had upgraded us to a junior suite the resort is big but bar staff make you feel special resort is very clean and maids in room kept it immaculate we will go to any grand palladium but i will return to this hotel again and food was good lots of fish and japanese and steak house was good steaks was to die for and ribs and more was good too lots of a la cartes and you can go as many times as you like i think we only are in buffet for dinner twice

Room Tip: i would book a junior suite beds are massive and a jacuzzi bath and lots of room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear patty0608,

Thank you for your time and good comments.

Cordially,

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
  • Polish first
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have never felt the urge to write a review before although I do always read them before we go away ourselves.We have just returned home from a two week stay over Christmas and New year we arrived on 22/12/12 and sadly had to leave on 05/01/13. Our room was 1214 and our two older children were in 1130 both blocks are located not far from the lobby so in our opinion the perfect location,within walking distance of the bar, restaurants and pool.
The main reason for writing this review was to highlight the staff from checking in with Ana at reception, the bell boys ,Edwin our maid ,Bar staff, Restaurant staff, pool and Towel staff, Entertainment team, Maintenance men and Groundsmen. Sorry the list is so long and that I forgotten names but every single one of the staff had a smile a "Hola" and always willing to help.
To sum it up without going on and on.. This hotel is one of if not the cleanest we have ever stayed in. Very well maintained. The food was great and I usually always get a tummy bug of some sort but NOT HERE. For all the above reasons we are booking again for this Christmas and it can't come soon enough. So a big GRACIAS to everyone at The Grand Palladium Colonial team and see you on the 23/12/13.

Room Tip: Higher floors and block 1-3 are closer to the lobby which we found helpful.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you bulabambinos03.

For me and for the rest of the team, it's a pleasure to know that you have had a great time with us. Thank you for give us your opinion.

See you in december!!

Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Colonial 28th Feb-13th March 2012. We had previously stayed many times at the Iberostar Tucan, but when we booked with Firstchoice the Tucan was almost £900 more for the two of us, so having read the great reviews,we decided to give it a try.
Firstly, may I say we had such great time we have booked a return trip April 18th for 2 weeks.
However we did get off to a very shakey start and was on the verge of leaving. I had emailed the hotel about 1 week before we left to say hello and to ask for a quiet, top floor room nearest to the beach in either the Kantennah or Colonial. Also we let them know it was or 30th, Pearl, wedding anniversary. Eduardo Ledesma Valdes, emailed me back and said they would do their best to meet our wishes, but no guarantees. Now thats completely fair, and I didnt expect to get all of our wishes met, but had my fingers crossed. When we arrived It was odd when we checked in, as we had been in a queue and watched everyine else have to fill out their family details onto hotel paperwork. But with us the guy gazed at the computer for a few minutes and then gave us a key card with no paperwork or passport details needing to be recorded. Odd I thought, but off we went in the little buggy to the room. Well it was right at the back of the complex and not on the top floor. We had to 2 twin beds, not what you want on your special wedding anniversary for goodness sake! From our balcony we faced the main back hotel road, so we could see the resort carts and mini train trundling past our room :( Also on the coffee table was a welcoming basket of fruit, but the accompanying card had another couples name on it! Their name also began with an R like ours, so we assumed there had been a room mix up. There were also several big ants in the room. So back to reception we went and met with quite an unhelpful girl who refused to help and said the hotel was full and that was that. We asked to be moved to a quieter room and one with a king size bed. She said to come back tomorrow and they would try and in the mean time they would spray the room, she reminded me we were in the Mexican jungle aftyer all. To which I said, we had travelled all over the world, 27 countries infact and even in Sri Lanka and Thailand in cheaper lower star hotels, we had never had ants marching around the room! Not a great start, but we try to be glass full not glass empty, after all we were were back in in Mexico, our firm favorite paradise and so resolved to stay positive. We got changed for dinner and went our for a few cocktails. When we returned to the room the huge monster ants were everywhere. It was sickening, I had opened my case to get some toiletries out and my case had several in it, the wardrobe was horrendous, huge ants everwhere. My husband rang reception, but they refused or were unable to move us again, and said they would send maintenace out a 2nd time. They did come very quickly and we waited outside room 1325. Well we went to bed in our seperate beds, with me snivelling and crying, saying, "I knew we should have gone to the Tucan!" in the morning, having slept with the lights on all night as I really dont like those big jungle ants, I awoke and made it clear to my husband, either we were moved to another room or we asked Firstchoice if we could pay the extra and move to the Iberostar Tucan. Thankfully, by lunchtime we were moved to 1427. Yes it wasnt top floor, yes it was still right at the back of the complex. But we accepted that.
From there on we had a great time, we rarely sat on the balcony, so the train frequently trundling past didnt bother us, as you couldnt hear it with the aircon on. Very quickly we grew to like the position of the room, it was easy to get to everything. And I didnt mind that we we got the basic purple wristbands, as its my fave colour, apparenlty as it was our 30th weeding anniversary, we should have been upgraded to another colour?
Anyway we had a fab time, we saw amazing birds or our early morning 6am strolls when the place was empty. If there is sea weed washed up the gardeners sweep and bag it all up at sunrise. The choice of eating spots is great. We really prefered the system of ala cartes they have, much better then the Tucans.
It was very windy whilst we were there and couldnt stay on the beach in the afternoon, but thats not the hotels fault, there was usually space by the pool. We prefer the beach as its more tranquil. We would really reccomend the kitchen tour, it was fascinating, it was raining that lunctimes, so seemed a good idea. The kitchens were spotless. If you do the kitchen tour you must wear long trousers and closed in shoes ie trainers.
We enjoyed the space the hotel has to offer and the varied ease of booking ala cartes compared to the Tucan. However we did feel, maybe due to its size, the hotel restaurant staff were less friendly, they were not rude, just not friendly. Sometimes they would huddle and chat, which was irratating when you wanted coffee in the morning or water with the eveing meal.
Anyway, we ended up having a great time, and so yes, we have booked to rerturn mid April.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear weloveholidays,

Thank you for your comments and for your time. I would like to comment that all the request are subject to the availability of the resort and all the time we are trying to complete each request but sometimes it's difficult but we always give alternatives during the stay.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything in the future.

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Third visit to Mexico. we went over Christmas and New year

1) Liked the buffets more than the a la cartes. We have kids who wanted to do the mini shows so liked the freedom of the buffet. Great food. Plenty of choice. Xmas and New Year buffet very good,

2) Yellina (sorry if I spelt her name wrong) in the buffets was outstanding as a hostess. Very friendly, super efficient and only one of 2 or 3 staff who ensure that hands of customers were alcohol gelled before seating. That said no-one got ill and they kept the place very clean.

3) No waiting for drinks at bars, always with a smiling face. I was happy to tip but it was not expected or requested.

4) Plenty of loungers if you got to pool before 9.30am.

5) Liked the ATM one in colonial is dollars..One in Kantenah is Mexican pesos. I was charged £1.50 for the service which is very cheap and was given the inter-bank rate £1 = 20.74 pesos..sweet! Some have said they were charged 30p in the pound. God knows what card they were using. I used a debit card.

6) The kids club is outstanding. I cannot praise the quality of the place highly enough. The staff seem genuinely enthusiastic around the children. Yet keep them in check! I am sure the management know how good they are but if they read this. If I return to the resort it will be mainly due to the wonderful Anna, Alejandra, Karen and Karla and Augustin.
The kids are signed in and out and have as much freedom as the parents dictate. Perfect. My 10 year old came and went. my 5 year old did'nt. TOP MARKS. They had a wonderful time with lots of great fun things to do.

5) resort is huge. I ran in the mornings and my GPS shows the perimeter paths at just under 2.5 miles. Took me a day or so to get my bearings and then used the shortcuts through the complex. No problems and did not use the golf carts once...Neither did the kids.

6) Colonial room was poor.Beds small and damp smell. The wooden cupboards are rotting but that is what you get in a warm climate. we were on ground floor, bit dark but as mrs said at least cooler. Air con and fan were great. Honestly though our 3rd visit to Mexico and it was the worst room we have stayed in.......the power goes off after 10 mins unless your card is in the slot. One night got back at 11.45pm having been out for 6 hours. Lights on. Freaked me out a bit. I used the safe and never left anything out so nothing nicked. Someone had been in the room. If it was innocent then they should have left a note. Either way puts me totally off returning here.

7) Pillows are awful, though they know this and will rent you nice ones. Not good just give nice ones to start with!!

8) A la cartes. Overall bit disappointing. First time we tried it had an hour wait. we were given a pager but the battery ran out! Ended up in the buffet. But the buffets were fine. After that we got to the a la cartes at 5.30. Still had a few minutes wait. What I could not understand is that the restaurants would be 40% full till 6.45pm with a huge queue out the door. This was not just down to tables being reserved for large groups. Really wierd.
Also for large groups they would have to reserve a day in advance at 8am. Well the queue for that started at 6.30am.......wow!
Food was ok not great, certainly not worth getting up at 6.15am for and queuing 2 hours. That said the Risotto in the Italian was the best I have ever had...Mrs said so too......I don't even like Risotto. The Fillet Mignon was also very good at the steak place.

8) Spa was great. Nice and quiet, Great treatments. Good steam room and sauna. Gym a bit dated and equipment not well maintained. Lovely pool area.

9) some of the scummy people smoked around the kids in the Theatres and lobbies. The stink from the cigarettes and cigars at times in the theatre was disgusting.

10) Entertainment staff worked very hard. The pirates of the Carribean show was great. The fellow who did the cocktail tasting by the main pool..Hilarious.
Sergios quizzes were fun. He looks like Chris Moyles. He was fantastic.

11) The chap who did the Michael Jackson impersonation. I did not get his name. I had a problem one night. Mrs not happy! He sorted it out with absolutley no fuss. A real credit to the Palladium. Thank you so much.

12) Wifi in lobby great even my UK spotify account downloaded music there.

First Choice Issues:

1) The rep told us the departure coach was 12.30. I got there at 1200. No rep, No coach. Mrs went to get kids and feed them. I did'nt go with her thank god and went to find FC rep. No rep probably day off and there were no cover staff.. Walked back to lobby to find the coach wanting to leave at 12.20 with an angry little coach rep chap berating me for being late. I explained we were told 1230 but he was having none of it. Pure luck I got my family on the bus I suspect other families less lucky. Rep was thoroughly obnoxious over this. They denied telling us that it was 12.30 departure. I have it in writing. Outrageous abandoning familes and leaving early. As it was the bus left at 12.28. If anyone was affected by this and are trying to claim refunds for taxis from First Choice please feel free to get in touch.

2) despite being assured of their value most trips if not all are more expensive through FC than booking on the Wifi

3) Booked VIP lounge through FC. A week later was told that the contract had been cancelled and that I would get a refund next day. Was then told that it was actually overbooked. Not fussed but don't like being lied to. Despite asking for refund 5 times, each time I was sent away with an "I don't have any money". Eventually got a refund 3 days later. I checked on-line the VIP lounge was not overbooked and cheaper to do direct.

In any event don't bother Cancun airport is quietish upstairs with lots of nice places to eat and drink cheaper than VIP and better. TGI is nice as is the Bohemia beer there.

4) Using FC you have to pay for drinks on board flight

5) You have to pay Airport departure Tax at the airport with FC £180 for a fanily of 4. If you book through say kenwood travel who use virgin and ba schedule flights the APD is included in the ticket.....which is already cheaper.

6) Likewise most holidays through fc are between £1,000 and £2,500 more expensive than other travel companies who are ATOL and ABTA registered with good reviews and 30 years experience behind them.

7) FC use Birmingham and Newcastle Airports whose runways are too short. That means stopping off at Manchester en-route. That means a 10 hour flight can easily get to be 14 hours..Nice! The pilot used his guide dog to land the plane at Manchester. A wheel that was busted had to be repaired adding to delay!!

8) The food on FC is disgusting. breakfast is yoghurt and a stale bit of dough with chocolate turd running through it.
The kids breakfast is pure junk sugar filled junk.

9) Apart from tea no water is offered throughout 14 hour flight......unless you pay.. Pure Purgatory. They will give you a small cup of water if you ask.

10) The films are limited and you have to pay to watch anything decent. So much for all-inclusive
Virgin nor BA do this.

11) First choice stewardess got into a row with a difficult customer. Yes he was difficult but not very professional to mutter that he was a tw@t as you walked off in a huff.....even though he probably was a tw@t....

12) Apart from her rant the stewardess and other staff were perfectly pleasant and gave me requested water albeit a small cup with no fuss.

So apart from the holiday being more expensive, of lower quality, much longer and having awful reps FC were fine!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear BorisLucy,

I appreciate your time and your complete review. For us, the opinion of our guest it's very important because is help for improve our service.

If we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

East Northport, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We spent 14 days at the Grand Palladium 12/04/2012 - 12/18/2012 .We have been to the Rivera May many time and I have to say this is one of our favorites.Everything has been said by other travelers therefore I will keep it brief. Overall the hotel is large beautiful and very well maintained.We had a lovely refurbished room in block 46 on the first floor.The beach is white sand and the water is quite calm and warm.The food is very good we ate at the Ala cart restaurants every night and really enjoyed the no reservation concept.it was a delight not to spend vacation time standing on line making reservations and being limited to a few Ala carts per stay. Don't hesitate to go to the Grand Palladium you will have a great stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear cyberglo,

Thank you so much for your time and your excellent comments.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Brasov, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I spent 1 week vacation in December, from 15.12.2012-24.12.2012.
Have to say that me and my husband enjoyed very much the resort. Food was very tasty and different every day. It is impossible not to find something on each taste. We were very pleased about services and rooms, and concerts&events organized by the hotel, each evening.
Beach is nice, with fishes around. And you can choose to go to snorkel with turtles, 25 minutes away from the beach hotel, just ask the diving center from the beach. It is amazing, we seen
There are very beautiful views to be seen around.
Resort is very close to Tulum and Playa del Carmen. Just 30 minutes away by bus, which stops in front of the hotel. I recommend to go visit Tulum. It is very nice!
We would for sure come back again and recommend this resort.
P.S. We loved the animals arround the hotels : raccoons, iguanas, tlacuache, etc

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Adina84,

It's a pleasure for us to know that you have had a great vacation with us. Thank you.

Regards from Riviera Maya,

York,England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

To start with let me just say we've just today booked to go back again in February this year 2013 so it must have been a good 'un eh?
We stayed in Colonial Block 2, 3rd floor last February (2012) and having previously been a great fan of the Riu's (both standard and Palace) we have definitely been converted.The whole scope of this giant resort complex offers so much variety you can truly have an all-inclusive experience. There's so much to do that we didn't even find the sumptuous Spa until the day we were leaving. What a waste but we'll be there next month for sure.
Great pools especially the adult and the seawater ones. Fantastic bar service and such a phenomenal choice of eating options means you might never leave the resort....and we Brits tend to go for 14 nights !!
The only downside for us is, as we prefer wine to beer and spirits, we just wish they'd spend a little more on the house wines. They are pretty poor. I know it's possible to spend more on better wines but I just wonder whether that is a factor in the house wine being not good. Is it to get more revenue?.
But that's a tiny point in what otherwise was a great holiday and let's just hope when we get there next month it will be as good as before
Thanks to all the hardworking staff who contributed to this and hope to see you all soon.
Rob and Mary from Yorkshire

Room Tip: As everyone says, if you have the energy, a higher floor feels more "open". We liked the l...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear MrT1610,

Thank you for your comments and for choose Grand Palladium for your vacation this february.

Please, if we can help you with your reservation, don't hesitate to contact with us.

See you in February!!

Resident Manager

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!