“Great Hotel with Great Food Choices a Fantastic beach holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

You added Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Plymouth
“Great Hotel with Great Food Choices a Fantastic beach holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

First my gripe - We bought a 200 Pesos Eurocarte phone card from the Hotel's lobby machine. We used it once successfully to phone the UK then could not get thro' despite repeated attempts. The customer services associated with the card are useless ....blaming me all the time.

Be Advised and beware of this rip off, don't use this method, the card is operated by BTEL

Not that the phones in the rooms are any better .. simply a rip off pricing per minute @ £3.50

Most people seemed to be using their mobiles happily but they must have a far better cost plan than us with Mobil 3.

The hotel was great and everything is laid on for a fantastic holiday. We certainly considered it to be of 5 star quality. Entertainment was to frenetic for us but the people tried v.hard to please.

Weather if anything was too hot 30 to 32 degrees centigrade, also beware that this is a huge site and you do need to be fit and able to walk around in the sun.Sports activity access is great.

Food is really good with 7 A La Carte Restaurants, no need to book, just register and they will call you when a table is ready. Every bar had recognizable UK drinks, if you asked for a bacardi and coke .............that's exactly what you got. However, no free wine choice at meals, it is house wines only.

Staff are helpful and willing to please, we had minor problems but it was always sorted out to our satisfaction. Room was clean and v.well serviced.

A very enjoyable all inclusive escape to a sunny beach resort destination.

Room Tip: We stayed in block 7 on the third floor and this was excellent
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Luck_Logic,

Thank you for your time. I will take note about your comments and please, if we can help you with anything, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Best regards,

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Polish first
ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

May 19-26
36 Guests Total - Family and Friends
Room Type: Mayan Suite

Background:
We travelled here along with 34 of our closest friends and family for our destination wedding. We have been to Mexico 5 times (3 to the Mayan/Cancun area (Bahia, Azul, Riu), and once to Puerto Vallarta (Riu). We have also been to Jamaica twice, and Punta Cana once. So we are fairly well travelled. Our travel supplier was Air Transat.

Transportation:
It took about an hour to an hour and a half to get to the resort. The transfer went smoothly with no stops. They did sell cans of Carona on Board for $3.00. We were lucky enough to have all the wedding party group on one full bus!

Hotel Arrival: They greeted us with all with a nice fruity cold punch and a cold refreshing towel. When we arrived they were very well prepared for our whole group. They called us all up to the desk at one time, and informed us all that we were upgraded. My guests were upgraded from a standard room to junior suites, and we were upgraded from a standard room to a mayan suite.

Rooms:Both rooms were wonderful and spacious. We loved our outdoor shower . It was very private but nice to shower in the morning sun! The room was extremely spacious. It was great for getting ready the morning of the wedding. Plenty of room for my dress, and all us girls to get ready. EVeryone was happy with their upgrades. One couple had to request to be relocated as they were on a ground floor and did have some bugs visit them (this is life when being on a ground floor in the carribean) but they were accomodated immediately.

Pools: We are pool people. We love the pool for swimming and activities. We found the temperature of the pool to be very nice (refreshing but not take your breath away cold). A lot of our guests that often don't swim, loved the hot tub shallow area conected to the pool (accross from the swim up bar). This allowed them to cool off from the May heat, but didn't require them so come right in the pool area. They could also still socialize with members of our group near the swim up bar. The water in the pool from the shallow area to the swim up bar is quite deep, so be warned. It you are five foot 7 or shorter it is hard to keep your head above the water when walking from one point to the other. We also never had an issue finding loungers around the pool.

Beach: The beach was nice for walking. We love to walk along the beach, and lay out on the beach to watch the water and people. I can't comment on the snorkeling or swimming as I did not do either. But it is a lovely beach to walk along (no Punta Cana or Negril but still a nice beach), with plenty of lounge chairs. The water was also pretty clear and clean.

Dinning: One thing I absolutely loved about this resort is the dinning options. There is so much to choose from with no restraints. Only 2 resturants require reservations, the Punta Emelia seafood on the beach (I am not a seafood eater, so I passed on this option), and the Tepanaki (my appologies for the spelling). The rest you may go to and from as you please. We never really waited for longer than 10 minutes.

The Buffet: The buffet had a good selection. I personally don't care for buffet dinning. We often used the buffet for the morning breakfast.

Beach Bar Food: We loved enjoing lunch and snacks here. Do not eat the food they have sitting out as a mini buffet. They have a fresh made to order menu here. Many members in our party loved the chicken wings. I loved the fajitas, and Quesadillas as well. Great lunch spot!

Dietary Restratints: This was handled incredably well for my group. I had one lady with several allergies, and dietary issues. She was always handled very well in each restaurants. The only one being a problem would be the Tepanaki since it is cooked all on one grill.

Evening Entertainment: We didn't watch many of the shows. We preffered wo watch and listen to the bands. we had a great time dancing with the entertainemnt crew, and the muscians were fun and entertaining.

Resort Size: We loved the size of this resort. even though it was large, each resort is self sufficient if you don't want to roam. There are trams that take you from lobby to lobby, but we found walking to be just fine. Learn the short cuts, it deginately helps! We found some of the signs confusing so carried our map the first day to learn our own route.

The Spa: Go here!! Use the free facilities. It was so relaxing. Many of our group started our day off here. It is also great for rainy days since it is enclosed and free to use. Highly recommend this to everyone. What a great ammenity to have and enjoy!

Spa Services: I had my hair and makeup done at the spa for my wedding. My Maid of honor also had both done, the other bridesmaids had just their hair done. All of our hair looked fantastic. I forgot to order a flower for my hair and the lady plucked one from an arrangement in the spa for my hair. How nice :) We had some unfortunate weather and all of our hair withheld the rain and humidity.
My make up looked great! Although by the end of our pictures I did need a touch up (which is understandable after 5 hours with rain, and humidity. So I recommend all destination brindes to keep some handy :)

I had a massage on the beach. This was my first massage ever, and I loved it! They were very professional, always checking to see if the pressure was ok. It was a perfect way to relax before the wedding day.

The Wedding: The wedding coordinator was amazing to deal with! I cannot say enough great things about how my wedding was handled. Everything I wanted was accomodated. I had allergies in my wedding group, and it was all dealt with (including one with major dietary restraints). Everything we wanted happened. We unfortunately was originally scheduled to be married on the beach. Everything was set up and ready to go, when a few minutes before we were scheduled to be picked up we were called by the coordinator. There were dark clouds coming in. She asked me what I wanted to do, try and squeeze it in or move to the back up location. I told her I can't make that call (I couldn't see how far out everything was). So she said she is going to bring all the guests over, and they can make the call for us (hubby was there as well). Knowing we wanted a beach wedding, they decided to give it a shot. When we arrived to the site (us girls) we stepped out on the beach to get ready to walk down the isle and opened up and poured down rain. The wedding coordinator had huge umbrellas for everyone! We then had to relocate to the back up location which they had set up looking fantastic in 30 minutes. Which was also very nice, near the waterfall with flamingos. It was truly amazing how well they handled the situation, kept all of us at ease, and my guests comfortable. It all ended up perfect :) One of the staff members got us a bucket of sand to place down by our feet, so we still had our feet in the sand! Truly amazing and caring staff here!

I definately would return to this resort. Many members of our party felt the same way, and were looking into going again later in the year or next year. Probably in our top 2 favorites, the first being couples Swept Away in Negril.

Location of the Resort: You are 30-40 minutes from the Tulum Ruins in one direction, and Playa Del Carmen in the other. Great location to do day trips :)

If you have any questions feel free to message me.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear wc123,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for your excellent comments. I am very glad to know that you and your group have had a nice wedding in Palladium.

If in the future you decide to visit us again, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Evansville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have stayed at over 20 hotels in Mexico and this is first class and for the people that have written bad reviews you need to go to a a Hilton and pay 3 times the price with the rest of your stuck up friends. The staff are fantastic and like I have always said you get out of your stay what you put into it. There was 6 of us my whole family and no one had anything bad to say about it the food was great the drinks wew great and the shows were vegas quality. I just want to thank all of the managers for everything we just got back 11, 3, 12 the only bad thing was frontier air which I will never use again even if it is cheap. To All BE AWARE of FRONTIER AIR.

Room Tip: If you don't like to walk you need to choose a building close to the lobbies because this place...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Tony37093,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for your good comments. I really appreciate your time because the opinion of our guest is very important for us.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Carlisle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed here from 5th-20th October and found the hotel to have everything we required. We were in villa 3 on the top floor. This was an ideal location for the adult pool which we didn't use as there was no breeze but always looked inviting. We walked along the walkways to the reception and the main pool. It was lovely being able to walk between all the areas but not feel as though you were in a hotel complex. You are able to use the train to go between each reception area but it is only at most a 5 minute walk between them.
Our only complaint was that 4 out of the 14 days we were missing towels and one day our room was not cleaned at all. Our friends in villa4 never had any problems at all.
The beach area is lovely at the colonial end but at the white sands it is rocky. There are no shades other than the trees. The salt water pool area Ida's cabanas as well as loungers. Well worth a visit but really just like swimming in the sea. Full of fish and if like me don't like snorkelling means you can see the fish without going into the sea.
We travelled by taxi from the airport taking just over 1 hour. We also used the hotel taxis to go to Tulum. The driver could not have been better.

The restaurants had plenty of variety for anyone no matter what time you went for your meals. You could eat 24 hrs a day if you wanted. We went to the steak restaurant twice once for my husbands birthday. I must admit the cake we had was a work of art. The food was lovely and cooked just right. We also went to the barbecue on the beach, unfortunately it rained just beforehand but it didn't stop everyone from enjoying it.

The area has so much wildlife that mingle with you as you walk around the hotel. The hotel shops could make more money if they had soft toys, key rings etc depicting the raccoons etc.

I would definitely go back to this hotel again and would recommend to anyone wanting a good base with plenty to do if you want or a relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Always ask for top floor as lots of ants also trees around all the villas so you have no views at al...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear valerieaugustina,

Thank you for your comments. I am very glad to know that you have had a great time with us.

California City, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

The hotel is great, especially the pools and the rooms, the rooms have fridges under the tv's full of drinks.... more for adults than kids although there is a kids club (i didn't go to) and water volleyball + water polo.

Room Tip: white sand are quieter, further away from main road...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Liam D,

Thank you for your excellent comments about your stay with us.

Don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Best regards,

basingstoke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

my partner and I had a wonderful holiday. on arrival we had twin double beds and we asked for a different room with a kingsize and we got moved in half an hour. i had found out they were at 60% occupancy so i was able when reception said we couldnt move as they were full (!!) to say that was not the case and they then agreed to move us. lots have been said about the star rating of this resort in other reviews - it is a 5 star resort in as much as there are extensive facilities but 4 star in terms of finesse - occasionally we had dirty table linen at breakfast and the duvet cover in the first room we were in had a hole in it - so not 5 star. i couldnt fault the

much has been said before about the size of the resort - but ok for us we walked off the food and drink and there are cut throughs if you look.
there are loads of animals on resort - flamingos, weasls who do tricks for food at breakfast time, huge iguanas and wonderful butterflies.
I'm a vegetarian and occasionally the mexicans dont understand this concept - spinach with bacon is NOT a vegetarian option nor is vegetarian quiche with bacon in it!
I took a haidryer from the uk - with an adaptor the voltage is altered to much lower so the hotel hairdryer was what i used. if going back I wont pack a hairdryer again.

what else can I add...

The hemmingway bar was lovely in the evening and is also a library where you can leave or borrow books (open from 6 pm daily)

Personally I didnt like the shows on site - comprise of a group of male and female dancers miming to pop songs. So it didnt work for me. better were the live singers/musicians in the bar areas nightly.

Go and watch the sunrise one morning on the beach. The bar that is open serves tea and cofffee and pastries first thing so its a lovely way to start the day.

and the SPA. this is the most under reviewed thing about this hotel and this was a 5 star experience.its beautiful with lovely flowing rivers and plants, the pool is a beautiful infinity pool and the lazy river for you to walk/swim around has jacuzzis at each bend. in the actual wellness part there are massages you can buy and all sorts of treatments but there is also for free, sauna, jacuzzi, steam room. my tip would be to go along in the late afternoon for some sun - especially the far end of the terrace. Faciing the pool from the entrance if you choose beds on the left watch out for bed number 5/6 as the lizard also comes to sunbath there. he or she is partial to a banana which you can get from the fruitbowl in reception :-)

we loved the adult pool and made lots of friends around there including yvonne and ian and the very lovely chuck from canada. it has a different vibe to the busier main pool.

best restaurant was the bamboo japanese restaurant for us although my partner loved the spagetti and pork in portofino meditteraanean restaurant. For us both Aurthuro the "captain" of the Bamboo resturant was especially nice member of staff but also Mariellea who seated us at breakfast daily. i also recommend Luis in the spa - have a vichy spearment body exfoliation and massage - $50 and well worth it. I came out smooth and moisturised.

The staff were great - much has been said that they are quiet but they are not if you engage with them.

so all in all one of the best holidays i have had !

would we go back - you bet. perhaps not next year as its a big world out there but we work hard and want to get value for money and I know i would get a lovely holiday.

Room Tip: Blocks 4,5,6 are great and really central to 2 lobbies, spa, adult pool and main pool and cut throug...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear cheryCola,

Thank you for your comments. I apreciate your time and I will share this information with the rest of the team.

Please, don't hesitate to contact with us if we can help you with anything.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

A group of us stayed at the Grand Palladium Resort for a week for fun, rest and relaxation. This was not my first trip to the Palladium, but it was for my friends. This is a huge resort that's really 5 resorts in one. It's great if you enjoy walking for exercise. The resort is beautiful and kept very clean.The flamingo ponds, crocodile enclosures and the orchid garden are great to explore. There are 2 super large pools, 2 kiddie pools, a salt water pool next to the ocean, and 3 adults-only pools. The rooms are clean and spacious with sofabeds in the junior suites.

The buffets are large with a large selection of food that changes daily.You can dine at all of the ala carte restaurants with no limit on the amount per length of stay. The evening buffets are themed as well, so it's different every night. There is a beach barbeque every Friday night and a big paella is served for Sunday lunch on the beach.

There are lots of bars to choose from and the bartenders are very willing to make whatever drink you want (and they have clamato juice to make caesars!) Be sure to visit Francisco at the La Jarra bar at the Kantenah beach for some of his special shooters, they are delicious!

The evening shows at the 2 theatres are very entertaining with a variety of singing, dancing and games. The fun team works very hard to make sure you have as much fun as you want.

All in all the service was excellent and we are already talking about another trip to the Grand Palladium

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear ilovevacations44,

I am glad to know that you have had a great vacation with us. Thank you for your time and for share with us your good comments.

Resident Manager

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!