“Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Swindon, England, United Kingdom
“Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

We went to the Grand Palladium Colonial Resort and Spa for our Honeymoon in March 2012. The pictures in the brochure did not do this place justice! When we arrived having booked through Thomson, we were amazed, this place is truly spectacular and I cannot recommend enough. We arrived to the warmest of welcomes and when we go there we were informed that we had been upgraded to a suite. Our room was stunning, all Marbled inside with an outside shower and hammock. The hotel has won awards for its conservation, and it is evident to see why. Everyday we saw wildlife wondering around the resort, and often shared our patio with the animals who are harmless. There was a wide variety of restaurants each of which served truly gorgeous food. There were also buffets available and the fact that service was 24 hours was an added bonus. Beautiful beach, beautiful resort, fantastic variety and great staff! This place can accommodate a variety of tastes and families of all ages

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 20, 2012
Dear Emma D.,

I appreciate your comments about your honeymoon in Grand Palladium. I am glad to know that you have had a nice moment with us.

Regards,

Resident Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
  • Polish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Myself and my husband went here on our honeymoon in March 2012. Having read some of the reviews we were slightly worried but we shouldn't have been. This hotel is amazing, the staff are wonderful and cannot do enough for you. It doesn't seem to matter if you tip them or not, you get excellent service either way. As an example, one day we were waiting at the lobby for the train to go to the spa, one of the golf buggy's pulled up next to us and asked where we were going, we told them we wanted to go to the spa, so they offered us a lift, we tried to decline as we didn't have any money to tip them (which we told them), but they still insisted on taking us there anyway, very impressed! Same with the photographers on the beach, I saw people trying to tip them but they refused the money. Of course we did tip our cleaner (who was excellent), the bar staff (occassionally) and we tipped in the a la carte restaurants but didn't feel that we had to which was nice, we tipped because we wanted to because the service was so good, not because we had to.

We had absolutely no problem with our room whatsoever, yes the rooms could do with updating slightly but they were kept extremely clean and we had no problems with leaks, insects, pillows or beds and the mini bar was restocked daily.

We checked in promptly with no problems and completed the check in questionnaire, our cases were brought to our room within minutes, we unpacked and had dinner and by the time we got back to our room there was a fruit bowl, bottle of tequila and an invitation to a honeymoon dinner which was lovely. This was done by the hotel not Thomson who we booked with.

The restaurants are great, I think there are 8 in total, but yes, some are better than others. Our favourites were the italian and ribs and more, but I've seen other reviews saying that they are the worst. Whatever you prefer there is something here for everyone. The buffet restaurants have, if anything, too much choice, but you can always have something freshly cooked so I don't see how anyone can complain about the food. I'm really fussy with food but I managed to eat just fine.

The only tip I would give (and this is nothing to do with the hotel) would be to change any english money when you get to Mexico, don't change in the UK before you go. We were massively ripped off losing 20p in every pound for every pound we changed (quite a lot considering we changed £600 before we went)! Also take Pesos not Dollars, everything is slightly cheaper in Pesos.

All in all, we had an amazing holiday, I cannot find fault with this hotel or the staff, wherever you go there is always someone cleaning or tidying, we were amazed at how clean it was. We had no problems with our room or with the resort being so large, the trains run so frequently you can get about just fine and it was nice to have different places to go/walk.

I've never written a review for a hotel before but am shocked at the bad reviews on here and thought it was the least I could do for the hotel as we had such a wonderful time. I would go back tomorrow if I could!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Michelle D,

I would like to give you thank you in behalf of Grand Palladium team for share with us your comments.

Thank you.

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

We just came back from 10 days vacation, our family of 5, plus our friends who were also return customers. We visited GP year ago and this time decided to bring a baby. Were little worried about it, but had no problems with him, he liked to sleep on the beach, there was a lot of shade, I even did not used sunscreen on him because it was too early for him and he was OK. Property is kids friendly, there were a lot families with kids. Colonial side is ideal for families, as it is central to everything, plus it is stroller friendly, not like White Sand that has a lot of tall bridges.
This time we noticed that service had improved compared to the last year. There are a lot of trainees at buffets and bars.We booked Jr.suite and were given 2 double beds, but after I asked nicely they gave us king bed room. I e-mailed a request week before our vacation, don't know if it was a reason why they gave me king. Room was clean, spacious, no musty smell, housekeeping did a good job, always stocked refrigerator. My friends were given room at Kantenah, upgrade to Jr. suite, but I liked our room much better, heard that they will renovate rooms at Kantenah. Also, my friend friends received a fruit basket in their room as return customers, we did not get ours.
Food was the same, like last year every night is different theme. Liked pastry at breakfast, it was delicious, a lot of fresh fruits every meal, especially liked that they grill fish and meat for you on request, plus make tacos for you, just choose a topping, crapes at evening were a hit for our family. We went couple time to eat at buffet on Riviera side. Food the same ( friend thought that there were more food and choices), buffet is bigger and much quieter than on Colonial side, service was much better because there was less people for them to serve. My friends prefered this buffet.
Tried some restaurants, Ribs and more was our favorite this year. My daughter ordered "happy baked chicken" from kids menu at this restaurant and liked it so much, that she begged me to came back to Ribs and More for it. Ordered same chicken at other a- la-carte, but it tested different. Also went to Punta Emilia Seafood restaurant, liked it, racoons were fun, but please, CHANGE THE MUSIC that was playing, it was driving us crazy and as I heard other people too. There was a post about it on grandpalladiumaddicts's forum. Change it to something romantic, because atmosphere at this restaurant is definitely romantic, but not music.
Our kids loved a big trampoline in the sea, last year there was no trampoline.Don't miss water aerobics in the sea at noon, it wasn't every day, but was such a fun! Kids enjoyed kids club, activities, evening shows. Girls do a good job there.We and kids also loved drinks such as "Bamboo" , "Banana Mama", etc Drinks taste much better at the lobby's and restaurant's bars. We asked barmen to do Mohitos without alcohol, it was no problem for them, tasted delicious.

We enjoyed our vacation so much, Grand Palladium did an awesome job again. For sure, there were some minor flaws, not everything was perfect but for price we paid it was nothing. Kids stayed free there, so this hotel met our budget, plus they allow to book room with 2 adults and 3 kids, not many hotels have a room for family of 5.
Want to try another hotel next year, but we will come back to Palladium for sure. We recommended this hotel to our friends and they were blown away.

Room Tip: We were at bld. 9, room 1930. Nice corner room, non-smoking, king size bed, jungle view, second floo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you cocolocopa for taking time to share with us your comments about your vacation. I appreciate you opinion.

Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Let me first start by saying that we are traveling to Mexico (Cancun & Rivera Maya) every year. This resort is WORST EVER I stayed at!

1. Lobby and grounds – a little big, but good and fairly clean
2. Room – tired and need upgrades. Pillows like a rocks
3. Restaurants & Bars – this is THE WORST part of this place. Service – forget about! There is no such thing. First of all there are seriously short on staff at a la card restaurants and bars and looks like waiters (restaurants, buffets and lobby bar) start working yesterday. I’m not talking about language barrier. Oh, and forget about smile even if you tip them.
4. Beach – 85% rocky (good for snorkeling). A sandy spot is very crowded. There are MUCH better beaches in Rivera Maya. Oh, most important – there are NO waiter service on the beach and around the pool. If you want a drink – get up and go to the bar, wait 5-7 min. get your drink and go back and relax 

I’ll defiantly go to Rivera Maya again, but NOT to G. Palladium 100%

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear VivaCancun007,

I am sorry that our complex has not fulfilled your expectations. We are working every day for that our guest have a great time with us. In this case, it was not possible.

If you change your opinion and decide to visit the hotel in the future, we help you with anything that you can need.

Best regard,

Pekin, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Well where to start, we were told we wold get a smoking room, that has not happened, made a simple request to have diet soda placed in fridge 3 days later still calling the front desk trying to get that to happen. Walked in our room the second night here had water coming frm the ceiling and through the light fixture called the front desk for maintenance, after 2 hours they arrived, what a way to spend your vacation waiting on a maintenance man to show up, tonight i walk out on the balcony to smoke a cig because we still do not have a smoking room and the screen door falls off. My wife who is a petite woman sat on the love seat in room and it it falls through she is curently sitting on a pillow on the floor. I would not recommend this place to anyone. Go to a sandals resort may cost alittle more but they treat you right and the people are friendly and they rooms are nice, looking forward to friday to head back to home how bad is that.

Room Tip: Don't come here even if you request something you don't get it anyway
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Erik S,

I would like to give you our apologies for the incidents that you can have had during your vacation. We try in every moment that our guest have a nice vacation.

All request are subject to the availability to the resort and with every request, we try the find the best option.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

The only comparison I have of this resort in Mexico is to the Bahia Principe Coba, which my Wife and I loved. Unfortunately, we couldn't say the same about the Colonial. Pros: Gorgeous grounds, beautiful pool, right next to the beach, free wifi in the lobby and no limits on the al la cartes. Cons: the buffet and most of the al carts are absolutely terrible (we enjoyed the Brazilian and the Japanese the most), the service at the bars is slow (especially the swim ups), 80% of the phones were broken and a lot of the furniture and fixtures in our room were damaged (admittedly, not a big deal).

Most of these cons are somewhat avoidable given the variety of amenities available, but the fact that we paid more than at the Bahia, we were really turned off. I would not return to this resort even though we have been told it is very easy to get a free room upgrade if you contact the front desk before arrival.

Room Tip: Email the front desk before your arrival and you may get a free upgrade. We heard of ants in the roo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Canadian4444,

I am sorry to know that you and your wife have not had a good holiday with us,

I appreciate you time for give your opinion and I will share this with our team. All comments are help for improve our service.

galloway nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

great place, good food and just nice to look at. the grounds were perfect. clean, landscaped nice, fish ponds all over and lots of pools and bars. we went in may 2012. friendly people everywhere. loads of beach chairs on the beach and nice snorkeling off the beach. theres animals walking around the resort and on the beach. to many restaurants to try in a week. theres trams {golf carts with trailers}that will take you all over the resorts. theres also a train that runs all over thats takes you around the lobbys. saves you some walking. there is a lot of walking. we stayed in villa 6. perfect location. top floor. close to everything. we emailed the week before and got what we wanted. we have to go back to finish. we will be back.

Room Tip: email a week before to get what you want. brings dollar bills for tips. we booked with apple and got...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear gradyGallowayNj,

In behalf of Grand Palladium team, I would like to give you thank you for share with us your opinion about your vacation.

Resident Manager

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!