“Big and Beautiful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa

You added Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal-Puerto Juarez Km, 256-100 | Municipio Solidaridad, Akumal 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Hamilton, Canada
“Big and Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

This was our 5th trip to this part of Mexico but this time with our whole and extended family. 7 in total ranging in ages from 4 years old to 25-excluding me and the wife. My wife has mobility issues so choosing this resort took alot of research. Surprised as I was if you can hold a detailed map of this resort you will find all of the short cuts. Its is BIG, when you consider 4 resorts in 1.

To be honest, there is not alot to complain about. The buffet was good with great selection daily, the resort clean, the pool is huge and rooms clean and comfortable.

The Palladium group does a good job here. All in all this is good family resort with great value. Having come to Mexico, my wife and I keep to the smaller and adult only type resorts. This by far is good family location.

Room Tip: to get the best room close to all the action if you have mobility issues let them know they will tak...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Dear crazymark2006,

On behalf of the Grand Palladium team, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your comments following your stay with us.

All comments are very importan for us.

Kind regards,

dtor.colonialkantenah@fiestahotelgroup.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
  • Polish first
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Let me start me by saying this was a fabulous trip. We used Apple Vacations Dawns Vacations and everything from Air Travel to Transportation went perfectly. We arrived in Cancun around 11:00 and by 1:00 be were at the pool sipping on cocktails.
Requested Colonial (with Apple you get either Col/Kan) and got it building 20 a perfect location. Easy access to the pool and a straight shot to the beach bar.

Food-Japanese was our favorite (make sure to get a show table) our Chef was so fun and I have never seen someone work a spatula the way he did and we have been to quite a few restaurants like this. Second favorite was Portofino, we also did Mexican which was really good, Disappointed with the Brazilian which was our favorite in Punta Cana but most of the food was overcooked and dry this time-could have just been a bad night for them. We also did the steakhouse which was surprisingly good and finished the week at Mare Nostrum (the Salmon was to die for) we ate at the Beach bar a few times for Lunch enjoying the pizzas and wings.

Salt water pool is a must to check out-we saw so many cool fish and enjoyed hours snorkeling and laying in a Bali Bed enjoying the incredible view.

The beach as others have described is beautiful but rocky in areas which kind of forces everyone into one general area, the snorkeling however was great right off the beach, but I will take the beaches in Punta Cana over RM

The grounds are great once again the Palladium does a wonderful job of keeping everything very clean and well maintained. Saw lots of wildlife especially during early morning walks. Grounds are very pretty-huge, like others say be prepared to walk a lot if you enjoy walking which we do it will help burn all the calories from eating and drinking toooo much all day.

Segway Tour-this was so much fun a big shout out to “G” he was a blast, this was well worth the $. Fun to ride and saw things on the property we would have never seen if we had not (the underground water tunnels) forget the name, the orchid gardens, the nursery for the resort and lots of other cool points of interest. (Make sure you wear bug spray for this trip “G” has you back in the woods)

All in all a very good trip no real complaints that I can think of other than the time goes by too fast.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear rwethereyetMaryland,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor about your experience regarding your recent visit to Grand Palladium Resort & Spa.

We appreciate your good comments about our Restaurants and other facilities.

I take note about your comment of the Brazilian Restaurant and I will check this with our executive chef.

With best regards,

Dallas TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Buyer beware: this resort is going green and they are saving some green on electricity.
I want everyone to know before you go that they regulate the temp in the rooms to 78 degrees.
If you are use to cold temps when in doors you will not be satisfied at this resort.
All of the restraunts are hot as well...
Service and Resort are average but I will not return.. if you like taking a risk then this is your place....

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

This was my wife's and mine second visit to the Palladium Colonial resort in the last 3 years. This time we brought my brother with his girlfriend. We absolutely love this resort. 5 resorts in 1, you have the option of using all the restaurants. No need to book in advance. You just go and get your name put on the list if its busy and you're given a buzzer. This gives you enough time to go over to the lobby and enjoy a tropical drink while listening to live music. Resort has 7 pools in total. Two main pools where all the entertainment takes place, two adult pools (smaller in size but nice and quite), salt lake pool, spa pool and a VIP pool (you need to by staying at the royal suites to use this pool). The grounds are kept nice and clean. The landscaping crew is always out there working and keeping the place gorgeous. Shows are fantastic. There are two each nigh. First one is at 9pm at the Colonial theater and the second one is at the Riviera theater at 10:15pm. I highly recommend the Mayan show on Wednesday and the Pirates show on Friday night. Beach is very nice as well. Whatever sea-weed washes up over night, its cleaned off each morning by the landscaping crew.
We had one small dilemma but it was taken care of within 24 hrs.... my brother and his girlfriend did not get the room that they requested. The front-desk and current manager on duty was not helpful whatsoever. They kept telling us that there is no more rooms available, which was a lie... We told our vacation reps. which are stationed at the resort and they took care of the matter for us. Thank you Apple Vacation reps.
Overall the resort is big and beautiful, I truly don't have any thing negative to say. Rooms are kept nice and clean, mini fridge is refilled every day.... Great resort, friendly stuff.... I highly recommend it... We will be returning to this resort for sure. If you have any question, please feel free to email.

Just a note... there is a BBQ dinner that takes place on the beach on Friday night... for this you need to reserve a table a day before... so make sure you reserve first thing Thursday morning in the lobby. Also, visit the spa... the use of the infinity-pool, sauna, hot-tub, gym is all for free. Also, the Colonial lobby offers free wifi so make sure you bring your laptop or ipod if you wanna use it (not sure about the other lobbies if they have free WiFi.. I never checked).

Enjoy your vacation!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
ColonialKantenah, Gerente at Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2011
Dear jag99,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on Trip Advisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

Please, if you decide to visit us in the furture, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Best regards,

Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

What a great place to stay!! My family and I had a fabulous holiday here. Location, accommodation and amenities were perfect. The staff was friendly, helpful and courteous. The beach and pools were clean and sun beds were always available. Great choice of restaurants and the buffet ones were excellent too. The snorkeling is great and there are so many activities you can get involved in if you so choose. I would definitely recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear Mrs_DouglasLeeds,

On behalf of the Gran Palladium team, I wish to thank you for sharing your comments about your stay with other Trip Advisor’s readers.

If you decide to visit us in the future, don't hesitate to contact with us.

Whit best regards,

Cranston, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

My stay at the Grand Palladium Colonial resort was from 6/25/11 until 7/03/11. I will talk first about the postives of the trip then I will tackle the not so great things.

THE POSITIVES-

NATURE- The resort is beautiful, luscious with vegetation, wildlife is everywhere. Because of the size of the resort I did alot of walking (by choice) and got to see so many animals that people getting rides probably did not see. Iguana's are EVERYWHERE ! The are pretty friendly so don't be alarmed. The maintenance is done daily so all of the bushes, plants, etc are all trimmed neatly and look great.
STAFF- Everyone there was as friendly as can be. I never had a problem with someone being rude or not being able to speak english. They would do whatever they could to get you what you need. It does help if you tip them!
DRINKS- Drinks were plentyful ! Whatever you wanted you can have. There are bars everywhere so you can refill as soon as you finish your drink.
STRUCTURE- I really liked the way all of the buildings were set up and looked. For such a large place everything was very well placed. All of the buildings seemed like they were well built.
FOOD- The food was good (at times). I'll save the negative parts for the negative view of the trip below. There was plenty of selection at the buffets. The a la cart restaurants were very tasty. I really enjoyed the mexican (burrito) and the mediterranean restaurant.
ENTERTAINMENT- If you hang by the two main pools there are staff run events going on througout the day (water polo, aerobics, dancing, belly flops,etc..) There is a beach volleyball net near the beach bar that is always being played on. Plenty of water sports if you want to pay extra. The pool has volleyball, basketball, swim up bars! They also have nightly shows in both theaters if you want to see a show. Very cruise-like shows if you know what I mean.

THE NEGATIVES-

CHECK IN- When we first got to the resort and checked in our reservation was not found by the clerk. I showed her our printout from orbitz but she said that they often "misplace" reservations. We waited about 25 minutes for them to find us a room and finally we were on our way.

OUR ROOM- Our room was pretty good for the most part. Air conditioning was cold, housekeeping came daily. The part I did not like was the constant ants that I kept seeing in the bathroom. I have no idea where they were coming from but they were constant. On one night we found a nice big roach in the bathroom. That was exciting.

THE FOOD/WATER- Upon check in I asked what the filtration was like with the water. I was told we'll be fine as long as we didn't drink the water from the sink or the shower. We'll that was not exactly the case. We had alot of mixed drinks (ice) and occasionally drank the water put on the table for us at dinner. Well, we had stomach issues all week ! We constantly were running to find a bathroom. As far as the food goes, I found that most food at the buffet was warm at best. I don't think they have the same food safety standards that we have here. Every morning for breakfast I wanted to microwave the food on my plate.

SPEED OF SERVICE IN A LA CARTE RESTAURANTS- This was a big issue with me. The service was awful. Not because of the staff but because they were understaffed. On average it would take almost an hour and a half to two hours to have dinner. On our last night there we would leave the table to go to the bar to get drinks, we waited 45 minutes between our salad and our entree. It was really bad. I'm very patient normally but I just could not handle it. It was the Brazilian steakhouse where they would come to your table to slice meat on your plate. We would wait 10 minutes at times before we would see a gaucho and he would slice a small piece of meat on your plate then we would wait another 10 minutes. We left before seeing the dessert menu and we left still hungry.

CHECK OUT- I called the bellboy staff the day before we left to have them pick up our bags at 5am at our room. I was told yes, no problem but the next day there was no one there. Try walking 15 minutes to the lobby with two 50 pound bags. Not fun.

Overall it was a good trip. If you are not too picky for small details then you will love this place. I am on the fence about whether I would come back or not.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

We called this resort "an amazing maze" in the jungle. Overall, we had a good vacation; the resort has a lot of offer: it's clean, big, new, great architecture, abundant pools and restaurants, great spa, mini golf, gym, tennis courts. We enjoyed the live music in the lobby, the night shows, and the wildlife (iguanas, crocodiles, flamingos, birds, raccoons). Everything there is grand. Here are a few things to consider however:

Jungle setting:
This huge resort is set in a tropical jungle. What it really means is that you will have to walk through a thick bush a lot to get anywhere. Sometimes you will get lost and will be going in circles, sometimes you'll end up somewhere else. You cannot see anything around, except the jungle. The buildings are surrounded by vegetation, and are not really in the open. Some paths are wider than others, some are covered, some are elevated wood paths (those get slippery when wet) with swamp underneath; most of them are lit at night. Personally, I did not enjoy walking through the woods in the dark.

Food:
The food was a hit or miss. Big emphasis on quantity, not quality. Lettuce on the buffet was wet and brown, the tomatoes were unripe, and the guacamole was soupy. Big plates of salads are prepared well in advance, and by the time they put them out on the buffet, everything is soggy and watery. Lots of pizza-burger-fries kind of food. The buffets are identical at Colonial, Kantennah and White Sands. You can't select your own table at the buffet: at the entrance you'll be met with a grumpy hostess who will try to squirt your hands with a disinfectant, and then take you to the table of her choice. If you ask for a different table (eg, by the window), she'll re-assign you reluctantly, but with such an attitude, that the mood will be spoiled for the rest of the dinner. After a while, we didn't even bother talking to the "Soup Nazi." The buffet is understaffed.

I like to eat Mexican food when I travel to Mexico. There was a small Mexican station at the dinner buffet, but nothing interesting, the food didn't seem as authentic as I had at other resorts.

We ate at the Mexican (which had the best salad bar), Mediterranean, and Steak a la carte restaurants. They were good but not great; you don't need a reservation for a la carte restaurants, but prepare to wait for at least 45 minutes. The servers' English was poor. The only restaurant with adequate food, service, and atmosphere, was PUNTA EMILIA on the beach; it's also the only one that requires a reservation with the concierge - have to be there at 8 am to make a reservation for the next day, but worth it. We wished we had discovered it earlier; we would have made a reservation for that restaurant for every day of the week! There is a resident raccoon family at that restaurant, some diners were terrified by them, others were hand-feeding them, I thought it was super-cute, but I still have mixed feelings about it...

Drinks were good, no Corona, but the house beer was ok. I stopped drinking mohitos after I looked at the mint in my glass, and it was all brown and rotten.

Beach:
The beach is beautiful and great for walking, but not so much for swimming. The bottom of the ocean is rather rocky, and the rocks and waives don't mix well.

Pools:
The main pool is very big and VERY DEEP. As soon as you enter the pool, it becomes 160 cm (about 5'3") deep. I am 5'4" and an ok swimmer, and I couldn't touch the bottom of that pool most of the times, which was scary. The swim-up bar area of the pool is rather deep as well, considering all the drinking - I see a serious water safety issue here. The adult pool and the spa pool are a must-visit: they are wonderful and are not as deep; they offer a truly 5-star experience; kids under 18 are not allowed in those pools.

Rooms:
The standard room was well... standard. It was good size, similar to those in other resorts of the same rating. We never watched TV (older style, not flat screen), as the TV remote didn't work, which was ok with us, we didn't come to Mexico to watch TV.

Towels:
There is an abundance of beach towels, however the maid was consistently leaving only 1 bath towel per person per day (2 total per room). We left her a note asking for 4 towels and got them, but next day we got only 2. We called the front desk and got extra towels delivered promptly, but next day we were down to 2 towels again. Daily tipping didn't help. In the climate where nothing ever dries out, it was becoming annoying.

Other:
The marble floor at the lobby is shiny and beautiful, but gets very slippery when wet. After the rain, the workers are wiping it off non-stop. One day, the workers dragged a big potted plant across the lobby, leaving a wet trail behind. My boyfriend slipped and almost fell, but fortunately managed to balance. For an older person a slip like that could be devastating. We went to the lobby to tell them about it, and to put a sign, the response was "so did you fall or not?" Seriously...

Bring your own umbrellas, unless you are staying in the premier room, in which case it is included.

We stayed in a building closest to the lobby. Usually I prefer to be as close to the beach as possible, but in this resort I would probably recommend staying closer to the lobby, as it's more central, closer to the restaurants and an easier walk at night.

Service:
This was my fourth visit to Mexico, and I have to say that I have never encountered such unfriendly staff at any other resort before as I did at Grand Palladium. The staff is very hard working and, with a few exceptions, looks rather miserable or maybe shy. Most neither smile nor say "Hola" easily, and at times we didn't want to bother them. Even in the end of our vacation, there was a long line to check out at noon handled by one slow moving person, while the other receptionists were standing around and just wouldn't step in to speed things up. When our checkout was complete, we said "Gracias" and she said "De Nada" which means "it's nothing". De Nada indeed...

All things considered, I will not be rushing back to that resort, even though there are a lot of good things about it. I suggest going to that resort if you get a good deal on it. I would recommend this resort for active adults and couples. I wouldn't recommend this resort to families with children or teenagers, singles (unless they like hiking through the jungle alone), or elderly people.

Room Tip: Bring an umbrella
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Palladium Colonial Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!