“Our first trip anywhere and in paradise we landed.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort

You added Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort to your Saves list
Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km. 104 Carretera Federal Cancun-Chetumal, Akumal 77760, Mexico (Formerly Akumal Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
“Our first trip anywhere and in paradise we landed.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

My family and I just came home over a week ago from paradise (Akumal Bay Beach and Wellness resort). There were 11of us, and we could not have had a better time. The view from our room was absolutely stunning. Snorkeling with the turtles in the warm, blue waters was magical. Digging my toes in the soft, white sand and breathing the warm air was soul soothing.
I have never in my life been somewhere where the staff work so hard. Every single person there worked so hard every single day and they always had a beautiful smile to share. They took thensuch good care of my family and I. They treated my 9 year old son with just as much respect as they did us adults (even when he'd constantly go and order "mickey mouse" drinks for himself and his cousins). I think about my magical trip everyday and look forward to the time when I'll be once again digging my toes into that stunning sand and swimming in paradise. Thank you Akumel for making my families first trip a most wonderful, life changing event! !

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I'll start my review by saying I can't compare the newly renovated ABBWR to the old ABR. First impression was awesome open air lobby with a direct view of the ocean so far a plus. We stayed from May 16/15 to May 23/15

Check in was smooth our room wasn't ready since we were there before 3pm and they gave us a room one floor below what we requested but in building 3 so that was all fine. Upon entering the room the first thing you see is the ocean. Buildings 3 & 4 have direct beach view where you can expect to pay big $$$ more for this at other resorts if they even have beachfront views. Buildings 1 & 2 overlook the pool or other amenities but you can still can see and hear the ocean. Some people in building 1 complained about construction noise at the new resort being built next door.

Room: It was cleaned daily and the fridge was also stocked daily. Our last AI in DR only stocked the fridge twice during the week. Towel art daily as you come in was a nice touch and never a shortage of towels. A/C and ceiling fan worked great on the hot days and at night we only used the screen patio door and slept by the sound of the ocean waves crashing against the shore, paradise. Room was clean and had a fridge that actually cooled above room temperature something that fails at other AI's. WiFi was free and worked well in our room it was pretty spotty elsewhere.

Food: Buffet is your standard fair. Omelette station in the morning and dinner you could always find something you would like. Food is something that is subjective based on the person. The buffet food was average the steak was the only thing for dinner that made say wow that was good and went for seconds at dinner. We only tired 2 ala carts the Brazilian and the Mexician both were good. The rest of the time we ate at the snack bar since we aren't big foodies and just like quick eats and then get on the go. I should mention the snack bar is 24 hours and had snack food like hot dogs, hamburgers etc. 24 hour room service is also available. Overall food rating is a 3/5 it's not terrible but not overly exciting or knock your socks off great. This is not the reason you come to this excellent resort.

Resort/beach: This is why you came. Snorkiling and beaches almost 2nd to none. Akumal Bay offers the best of both. Calm waters for the most part and snorkiling with sealife and turtles can't be beat. The south end of the resort doesn't have suitable entry for swimming or snorkiling so many swarm to the north and the towel game is in full swing there but if you want that prime location set your alarm early. Anywhere else you can claim anytime with no issues. The size of this resort is what I consider small to medium range, everything is with in a 5 minute walk. There are NO crazy trams taking you all over the place like some of those Disney sized resorts (not going to mention the names but seasoned travellers know the ones I speak of) so if you like those sprawling mega resorts then this might not be the place for you

Possible beach con: The new resort next door may impact the usable snorkiling area as we headed there a lot for snorkiling. While the beach is public the new 400 room resort may impact this area both for the sealife and ABR guests and time will tell but I think this was a bad move to build this new resort on the small bay.

Wellness: We didn't really partake in any of the wellness amenities since we are beach / swimming people so they have the spa, yoga and all the other related activities going on but if that's not a focal part of your vacation you can still chill and relax like no other. This is a quiet resort. If you like resorts with animation teams that are chanting with bikini contests and other like activities this is not the resort for you.

Minor cons all that do not lose a star:
1) Our balcony only had one chair but had a jacuzzi nice touch but we never used it (except to hang our swimsuits to dry over)
2) The main pool only has bali Beds around it, no loungers. Whoever thought this was a good idea needs their head examined. Having loungers around the pool may take some pressure of the beach loungers and the towel game.
3) Nightlife is limited at ends around 11 but there is a disco after that I didn't even find it because by that time after day of sun, drinks, food and water activities I was too wiped to consider that,

Final Thoughts: This is probably one of the best resorts for the money. Ocean view rooms and the staff is some of the friendliest people I've seen based on my extensive travels. There is not many resorts I would ever consider a second trip to and not because they are bad there is just so many places to explore. This is one of the few resorts I would consider for a second visit EXCEPT that the new resort next door will have a negative impact on this area and ABR, shame. If you can visit before the new resort opens do it, after only time will tell.

I could go on for pages about the resort and if you have any questions feel free to private message me and I'll do my best to answer.

Room Tip: Building 3 quieter, building 2 in front of main pool
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Excellent resort! You're surrounded by beauty everywhere you look - the ocean, beach, palm trees, rooms, pools, food, it's all like something from out of a movie. Ofelia in the spa gives an outstanding therapeutic massage. Thanks Ofelia!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Last week my family and some friends stayed at this resort. Several of them had stayed at this location before. They were very impressed with the remodeling that had been done over the last 2 years. During my stay I enjoyed the hospitality of all the associates that worked at the resort. Very friendly and very eager to help. One person stuck out though, his name is Wilbert. He is a bartender in the lobby bar. He was super friendly. We got to know alot about him and vise versa. I really enjoyed my stay there.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Lakewood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This resort was absolutely beautiful. The view of the ocean, the relaxed environment, the staff, the rooms, the pools and everything else in-between. I would recommend this place to anyone. I want to go back soooooo bad.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This is a great place for couples! There were 6 of us and it is safe to say we would go back. The staff was great! We loved Marbella in the lobby bar especially! Our room was great. We were on the bottom floor and walked right out to the beach and "boardwalk". The view was amazing. The outdoor beds and hammocks were also wonderful! We spent much of our time in one of the many small pools that were along the way. We loved the "one man band". He would come by our "pool" and entertain us. He is pretty amazing! We also went on an excursion zip lining, snorkeling and ATV ride. It was only $99 per person (which included lunch). Totally worth the $ for a 5 hour excursion. Transportation was very easy to use as well. There is a very cool bar/restaurant that is not too far off the resort called Buena Vida. You can climb up into a tree and hoist your drinks up in a bucket and overlook the ocean. The food there was really good and there were a couple of little shops across the street. The food on site ranged from casual to up scale. I would suggest getting your name of the list early if you are going to the Mexican or Brazilian restaurant's; great food; but limited on space. Overall I give it a "10".

Room Tip: Request a ground floor unit on the south side of the property if possible. It is away for the "...
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We were at this resort April 26-May 6 2015. The property is beautiful and much smaller than any other all inclusive resort we have stayed at. When we arrived, check in was quick and easy. They give you a woven bracelet instead of a wristband, which was a nice touch I think. We were upgraded to a Garden Room, which is on the ground floor, and we could walk right out onto the beach within 10 feet of our room. I usually request not to be on the ground floor, but at this resort I would recommend it for sure. The only issue being that if you were in building 1 or 2 you would definitely lack hot tub privacy, but we were in building 4 which was perfect for us. Kind of away from the lobby, but this resort is small so it was like a 5 minute walk, max. we would suggest building 3 or 4 for sure.
Rooms are great, spacious. Housekeeping did a fantastic job. Towel animals every day :) Bathrooms aren't very private, but fine for a couple. Maybe if you had kids it would be weird though.
Food was good overall. Though the service in the buffet was definitely hit or miss. Getting service in the morning was particularly difficult. We would stop in the lobby and grab our own coffee to take in with us because we could hardly ever get coffee from a server. However I think it was more because they were understaffed and not because they weren't trying. Dinner service was much much better. The buffet food was good, some nights better than others, maybe a little repetitive, but we always found something we liked. The A la Cartes were great, and I loved the no reservation system. The longest we waited was an hour, so we had a few lobby drinks. I hate having to get to a resort and sitting with a concierge and planning out the next two weeks of dinner reservations. You could eat what you wanted, when you wanted it. The Japanese was our least favorite, but still good. The Mexican was the best for sure.
Snorkeling right off of the beach was some of the best we've seen and you could walk right to Akumal Bay and walk around town, which was really great. There was a lot of seaweed on the beach, but they did their best to clean it up and honestly it was the entire coast that was getting too much seaweed, so there's nothing they could do about it. Not worth complaining about.
We hung out at the beach bar a lot with Oskar, who is the best. Always in a good mood and knew our drink orders by day 2! Talked to us about his family, and how much he loved working at this resort. What a great guy :)
You should definitely go to this resort before they finish the big one next door. Not sure how crowded it's gonna get soon.
Oh, and last thing. The towel game was ridiculous, but we just grabbed chairs, even with towels and nobody ever said anything. I don't think half of the people remember what chairs they even put towels on. They really should enforce the no reserving rule. Oh well. awesome vacation!

Room Tip: We loved the quiet of building 4, 3 would also be great. 1 and 2 is all the families. The ground flo...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort? Share your experiences!