“Wellness retreat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort

You added Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort to your Saves list
Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km. 104 Carretera Federal Cancun-Chetumal, Akumal 77760, Mexico (Formerly Akumal Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Montreal, Quebec
“Wellness retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We have just arrived from a wonderful week. We feel like we were on a wellness retreat because of the yoga classes we received from Hiram and Claudio, the sauna and the excellent food. They were such GREAT yoga classes. amazing teachers! we love you Hiram! I did not practice yoga before and almost became an addict to the morning classes !..2 per day on average! and my wife too. don't miss the live music yoga classes on Friday with both teachers!
The resort is very clean. The staff is truly awesome too - we had the pleasure to meet Karla and Omar from the animation team in particular - so nice meeting you! - everyone is super welcoming and kind. There are some construction going on next to the resort, but it did not bother us.
tip: definitely bring your googles since you will be amazed at what you can see by simply swimming in the beach area of the hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms have oceanview. If you like sleeping during the day request a room on building number 4 fa...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Polish first
Rutland, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Resort is beautiful and clean and well maintained. Staff obviously works hard to keep it that way. The staff are friendly and helpful. Miguel at the tour desk was wonderful and had some great recommendations. He was also very helpful in trying to get our shuttle to the airport changed since we had a flight change. The beach is okay... there is alot of reef so it is not your typical beach swimming and you should wear water shoes. Tons! of snorkeling groups in the area to see the turtles. Not all of the resorts beach area is swimming friendly. Our problem was with the rooms. The rooms are nice, except the bathrooms are weird and don't allow for much privacy. We requested a room with 2 double beds because it was me and my husband and our 17 y.o.daughter. We were given a room with a king bed and a small sofa like thing that was hard as a rock and about 5 ft. long. Our daughter is 5'7". Not very comfortable sleeping. We were allowed to change rooms the next day but had to check out at noon and check back in at 3pm. One vacation day ruined. In the new room (4008) we noticed a sewer smell, but it went away when we opened all patio doors and windows, but 2 days later it kept us awake all night because the smell was so bad. We told the front desk about it before we left for a day long excursion and when we returned they said they had fixed it. Also the deadbolt did not work and they had not fixed that yet. 10pm that night we packed our suitcases and went to the front desk to ask for different room. The smell was so bad it was like crawling through a sewer hole! They tried again to put us in a room with a king sized bed and said we could change the next day. After creating a bit of seen they were able to locate a room with 2 double beds that had to be cleaned. Apparently it was okay to inconvenience us but not the housekeeping staff. The next day we had to call because the toilet seat was not even attached to the toilet! When you are cleaning the bathroom you don't notice these things and the water ran all night in the toilet. They fixed the seat but not the toilet. Some of these things are small but when you continue to add them up it makes for a not so pleasant stay.
The food is so, so. Very bland. We did enjoy the Asian and the Gourmet restaraunt, but get there early or expect to wait.
The dive shop staff are very friendly and helpful and our daughter enjoyed her first scuba experience with them. You can also get snorkel equipment there for free for 2 hours or for 3-5 dollars for the whole day.
People play the towel game and start at 630 Am with saving lounge chairs despite the signs that say you can't the staff doesn't do anything about it. The lounge chairs in front of blds 4 & 5 are mostly pulled so far back you are tilted at an angle and it feels like you are slipping out of the chair all day. Also the beach at that end is not swimmable.
Great excursions to Kantun Chi and Mayan ruins in Coba

Probably would not go back to this resort.

Room Tip: Buildings 1 &2 are right in the middle of the action. Enjoyed Building 3 & 4, more peaceful...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Bowmanville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We just returned on April 28, 2015. We cannot wait to go back!! Yes, we can sit and pick apart a few things, but why when there were so many excellent things to enjoy. The employees surpass themselves. Friendly and go well beyond. Explained we had a severe nut allergy and it was sent to all areas of the resort for a heads up and all servers went out of their way to accommodate. Snorkelling is amazing. There are a few things that need to be critiqued to complete the all inclusive provided. If you are looking for small, intimate, quiet and serene vacation...this is the place!!!! Thank you Akumel Bay Beach for putting our worries of travelling to Mexico at rest.

Room Tip: building #2 is right in the hub of the resort.
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Just returned last night from a wonderful vacation at Akumal Bay. I had a great time, very relaxing, just what the doctor ordered after a long, cold & snowy Canadian winter.

I have to agree with many of the other reviews on here. The snorkelling was great, saw many turtles, barracudas sting rays, and eagle ray and the most beautiful fish - it was like swimming in an aquarium. The snorkelling was definitely my favourite part of the vacation, I brought my own snorkelling gear, but rented a life jacket from the resort. You don't really need one, but I felt more comfortable as I'm not a great swimmer. I do recommend a long sleeve shirt so you don't burn.

The beach, as others have stated,is rocky in front of buildings 3 & 4 - no swimming there! Down a little further is a nice beach, this is where you snorkel. But be careful in the evening as the sting rays get very close to the beach, and hide well! Wouldn't want to be stung.

Staff is wonderful, drinks are wonderful, resort is wonderful! Food is ok, I never went hungry, but had a hard time finding things to eat. My favourite was the snack bar for lunch, the guacamole was amazing! The beef, no matter where I ate it, was the best beef I ever had (except the leftover fajita in the breakfast buffet, dry). The sushi bar was really good. The a la carte were good, no reservations which has its pros & cons - had to wait 1.5 hour for the gourmet restaurant, was 9:30 pm by the time we got in and were very hungry! So I think reservations would be a good thing.

I was in building 4, the penthouse. The penthouse was nice, but I wouldn't get it again, roof is too hot in the day time and I only used the hot tub once as it was full of bird poop. I'd get a room on floor 2 or 3 unless I had my son with me, I'd get the first floor so he could just come & go to the pool. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, and the room was very clean. Antonio did a great job! I loved my towel animals

I did however get sick my 2nd last day at the resort, Imodium didn't even help! I didn't need a doctor as others have mentioned, by the next morning I was feeling better, just stomach pains still but was able to eat at least. Unfortunately gastroenteritis is contagious, so all it takes is one person with dirty hands to spread it, just like the cruise ships. I did watch a lady one day leave the washroom without washing her hands - disgusting.

The time share people did approach me on day 8, very irritating!

I didn't do any excursions except Talum, on the collectivo $3USD/person and it's an experience! Went to the ruins where it was very hot, do it first thing in the morning if you can. I also spent another morning shopping in Talum instead of Playa, this time with a taxi that waited for us while we shopped and we bartered a matching price of the collectivo, you can barter in the shops as well! Akumal is a great little town to shop in too, bought a beautiful silver ring in the silver store. You can barter with him too if you pay cash.

I don't think this resort is a 5 star, the food is meh, the beach is rocky and unswimmable. Building a new 800 room Secrets Resort next door, this will definitely impact the beach and the turtles. It's a shame really as the turtles will be gone one day due to the influx of people.

If the price stays the same, I'll be back, if it goes up, I will not be back.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed for our second time April 18-26. I know the title is confusing, so let me explain. The check in was the fastest we have ever received at a resort. They were ready for us and got us our room immediately. The room however was a huge disappointment. They gave my wife and I a room with two beds which were way too small to sleep together in. If they were queen size we could have made it work but the beds were much smaller. We asked to be switched to a king but were told to come back day after tomorrow. I asked to speak to a manager. I was told I would have to come back in the morning. We stayed the first night which was a little uncomfortable because the air didn't work very good. I spoke to the manager (Raul) the next morning and he switched us to a king. He gave us a room that was reserved for another customer coming in that day. Not sure how that worked out for them. The room was 3012, which had the king but the air didn't work very good either. It seems they upgraded the building but not the air. We made the most of it since we spend most of the time at the beach.

We loved the additions of the new restaurants. We ate at the Gourmet and Mexican twice and the Japanese once. Each meal was very good. We liked the Mexican the best. Edwin, Armando and Concepcion were excellent staff and even remembered what my wife and I were drinking the second visit which was three days later. I do not mean any disrespect to the staff in the other restaurants as they were very good also. It's just that the those three were very, very good. We didn't eat at the Brazilian so I can't comment on that.

The buffet was very good. Always had good seafood and the steaks were very good. The lobster on Saturday night was a nice bonus. We melted butter over the lobster, that seemed to help with the taste. I would recommend that if you go for breakfast and lunch that you sit on the north side, closest to the entrance. We found the service much better. Twice on the far side we had to go to the bar to get our coffee and water. The north side had it to our table before we even headed to the buffet. We tried the snack bar once for lunch but found the food to be a little on the cold side so we stuck with the main buffet after that.

We enjoyed the upgrades at the bars and the service was excellent. The addition of better whiskey and Tequila was nice. Although I will now have to buy 1800 for my wife's margaritas. It was a big plus that they added beach service. The waitresses worked really hard and were always around to ask for drinks.

We liked that they added more palapas but we weren't a big fan of the style. It also seemed to make the beach feel more crowded. Yes, the towel game was in full effect. It didn't bother us much because we were usually on the beach by 6:30. However, I did noticed one lady saving 4 palapas one morning at 7. Nobody used any of them until 10:30 and that was just one. The rest weren't used until after 11:30. We also like not having to use towel cards but we believed it added another problem. People would leave in the afternoon but not take their towels. This made it look like the chairs were still be used. We noticed one morning that a guy grabbed twelve towels, leaving just one as a lady was walking up to get two. Nice.

Now for the reason we probably will not be back. We have snorkeled at Akumal Bay every time we have went to Mexico(12 times). Everything has really went down. We only snorkeled once in 8 days. We saw a couple of turtles and not much else. Maybe the timing was off but it was disappointing. We like the resort but if the snorkeling isn't any good then we will stay at place that the beach is bigger with better swimming. You really can't enter the water south of the buffet. It's not fun when you sit in front of building 3&4 and have to walk to the north end of the beach just to get in the water. It's only going to get worse when the new Secrets opens up. The beach and the bay is going to be overcrowded in my opinion and its going to ruin the bay.

Santa Fe Springs, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My wife and I just returned home after a wonderful week stay at this beautifully renovated resort. This has been our 6th visit and we where looking forward to the renovations.

The rooms were very nicely decorated with a mini fridge stocked with water, soda, beer, and snacks. There was a Jacuzzi in every room, and very comfortable beds and pillows, I slept like a baby. The food was to die for and the service was more than I expected. They also stock premium liquor which they never did before. We stayed in building 4, 2nd floor with an excellent view of the bay. They had mini pools in front of building 3 & 4 that we enjoyed very much since no one seemed to be in them and a mobile bar for cocktails. Wi-Fi service was free and we had excellent connection in our room and on the beach in front of our room. The connection was hit and miss as we walked around the resort.

Our only concern was all the palapas that where in front of the resort. We were afraid they would interfere with turtle nesting. Renaldo, Operation Manager took the time to explain what they were doing. He informed us that they have been monitoring the turtle activity in the past to see why there have been false crawls in certain section of the bay. They discovered that it was not that people frightened them, nor by them hitting a structure like a palapa, the turtle would just go around it. What they discovered was that it was dry sand, they couldn’t make an egg chamber, the sand kept caving in causing the false crawl.

What they did was create a eco friendly palapa out of bamboo which is not stationary and very light, they could be moved with little effort if needed to be. It was made so water can filter through and hit the sand not like the old ones that would prevent water from going through. What they did started doing on May 1st was stacking all the loungers at night to make it easier for the turtles. They will continue to monitor turtle activity and make necessary adjustments to the palapas, even if that means moving them.

So what you have now in Akumal is a 5 star resort on a 5 star beach, there's no better combination!

Room Tip: Building 1 is too close to construction, building 2 has the main pool in front and might be a little...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Most of what I've read on the reviews are spot on target. You are exposed to a bit each review. I will do a pro and con list as I think it is easier to do that way.

Pros:
Getting into restaurants easy
No real dress code ... did see flip flops and t-shirts in the only one that required dress up...
Food was so so
Wifi pretty much all over and at NO COST
They are constantly cleaning and well kept
Plenty of drinks by pool
Snorkeling is the good but not the best in the world.
No smoking in food areas
Great steak at snack bar...
Friendly staff
Rooms clean
Walmart near in case you need air fresheners or something.

Cons:
Washers and dryers not available yet... will be .. at somepoint
Left with stomach issues... but I did eat off premises.
Was moved from original room and promised to have new room at 9... then 12... then 3.... all the while having all my bags pack and not able to do much
The towel game is at a max... what a joke and really annoying
Seaweed
No air in any of the food areas except the dress up one
Not much for decorated rooms or cabinets (rooms sparse)
Elevator in bldg. 2 not working
Smell of sewage gas
Tv did not work
Bldg 2 loud from 24 hour bar noise makers and band
No hot water
Getting double team tagged on sales pitch BTW: $27,000 for 1000 hours and $17,000 for 500 hours and only special deal for one time only and for you only.....
No toilet paper in room
Bar was not restocked
No place to clean sand off from body around bldg. 3 and 4.

In a nutshell... I was moved to a new room because of the issues I had with no elevator, tv not working, no hot water, smell of sewage, and noise all night long. After that it was quiet. I bought an air freshener to help with the smell in the next room. For the price and flight time non stop... it was a great price and worth every penny. it is a great place to just relax and do very little... very pretty... great staff... attention to detail lacking... Pain in the butt tag team sales pitch... Would not go back only because I would like to try other places....

Room Tip: Bldg 3 and 4 are good if you want away from the noise.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort? Share your experiences!