We stayed for our second time April 18-26. I know the title is confusing, so let me explain. The check in was the fastest we have ever received at a resort. They were ready for us and got us our room immediately. The room however was a huge disappointment. They gave my wife and I a room with two beds which were way too small to sleep together in. If they were queen size we could have made it work but the beds were much smaller. We asked to be switched to a king but were told to come back day after tomorrow. I asked to speak to a manager. I was told I would have to come back in the morning. We stayed the first night which was a little uncomfortable because the air didn't work very good. I spoke to the manager (Raul) the next morning and he switched us to a king. He gave us a room that was reserved for another customer coming in that day. Not sure how that worked out for them. The room was 3012, which had the king but the air didn't work very good either. It seems they upgraded the building but not the air. We made the most of it since we spend most of the time at the beach.
We loved the additions of the new restaurants. We ate at the Gourmet and Mexican twice and the Japanese once. Each meal was very good. We liked the Mexican the best. Edwin, Armando and Concepcion were excellent staff and even remembered what my wife and I were drinking the second visit which was three days later. I do not mean any disrespect to the staff in the other restaurants as they were very good also. It's just that the those three were very, very good. We didn't eat at the Brazilian so I can't comment on that.
The buffet was very good. Always had good seafood and the steaks were very good. The lobster on Saturday night was a nice bonus. We melted butter over the lobster, that seemed to help with the taste. I would recommend that if you go for breakfast and lunch that you sit on the north side, closest to the entrance. We found the service much better. Twice on the far side we had to go to the bar to get our coffee and water. The north side had it to our table before we even headed to the buffet. We tried the snack bar once for lunch but found the food to be a little on the cold side so we stuck with the main buffet after that.
We enjoyed the upgrades at the bars and the service was excellent. The addition of better whiskey and Tequila was nice. Although I will now have to buy 1800 for my wife's margaritas. It was a big plus that they added beach service. The waitresses worked really hard and were always around to ask for drinks.
We liked that they added more palapas but we weren't a big fan of the style. It also seemed to make the beach feel more crowded. Yes, the towel game was in full effect. It didn't bother us much because we were usually on the beach by 6:30. However, I did noticed one lady saving 4 palapas one morning at 7. Nobody used any of them until 10:30 and that was just one. The rest weren't used until after 11:30. We also like not having to use towel cards but we believed it added another problem. People would leave in the afternoon but not take their towels. This made it look like the chairs were still be used. We noticed one morning that a guy grabbed twelve towels, leaving just one as a lady was walking up to get two. Nice.
Now for the reason we probably will not be back. We have snorkeled at Akumal Bay every time we have went to Mexico(12 times). Everything has really went down. We only snorkeled once in 8 days. We saw a couple of turtles and not much else. Maybe the timing was off but it was disappointing. We like the resort but if the snorkeling isn't any good then we will stay at place that the beach is bigger with better swimming. You really can't enter the water south of the buffet. It's not fun when you sit in front of building 3&4 and have to walk to the north end of the beach just to get in the water. It's only going to get worse when the new Secrets opens up. The beach and the bay is going to be overcrowded in my opinion and its going to ruin the bay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the ancient language of the Mayas, long before Cancun, there was a magic place called Akumal "Place of Turtles". Between Playa del Carmen and Tulum, Akumal Bay - Beach & Wellness Resort offers one of the best beaches anywhere, with almost a mile of white sandy powder beach, world-class snorkeling with sea turtles and top diving with a great variety of life that thrives within the live coral reef just steps from our guest room. The relaxed atmosphere in Akumal captivates the spirit of a laid back Mayan Riviera beachside town. Akumal Bay - Beach & Wellness Resort offers a truly unique experience for guests seeking the best possible beach vacation. All guest rooms are located in 4 buildings within steps of the ocean and feature breathtaking views of Akumal Bay. With the convenience of an All-Inclusive, we provide our guests with a sophisticated simplicity and friendly service in the intimate atmosphere of a small resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, BookIt.com, getaroom.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Akumal Beach Hotel Akumal
- Beach Resort Akumal
- Akumal Beach Resort Mexico
- Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort Riviera Maya, Mexico