“Nice upgrades, won't be back” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort

You added Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort to your Saves list
Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km. 104 Carretera Federal Cancun-Chetumal, Akumal 77760, Mexico (Formerly Akumal Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Kansas City, Missouri
“Nice upgrades, won't be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed for our second time April 18-26. I know the title is confusing, so let me explain. The check in was the fastest we have ever received at a resort. They were ready for us and got us our room immediately. The room however was a huge disappointment. They gave my wife and I a room with two beds which were way too small to sleep together in. If they were queen size we could have made it work but the beds were much smaller. We asked to be switched to a king but were told to come back day after tomorrow. I asked to speak to a manager. I was told I would have to come back in the morning. We stayed the first night which was a little uncomfortable because the air didn't work very good. I spoke to the manager (Raul) the next morning and he switched us to a king. He gave us a room that was reserved for another customer coming in that day. Not sure how that worked out for them. The room was 3012, which had the king but the air didn't work very good either. It seems they upgraded the building but not the air. We made the most of it since we spend most of the time at the beach.

We loved the additions of the new restaurants. We ate at the Gourmet and Mexican twice and the Japanese once. Each meal was very good. We liked the Mexican the best. Edwin, Armando and Concepcion were excellent staff and even remembered what my wife and I were drinking the second visit which was three days later. I do not mean any disrespect to the staff in the other restaurants as they were very good also. It's just that the those three were very, very good. We didn't eat at the Brazilian so I can't comment on that.

The buffet was very good. Always had good seafood and the steaks were very good. The lobster on Saturday night was a nice bonus. We melted butter over the lobster, that seemed to help with the taste. I would recommend that if you go for breakfast and lunch that you sit on the north side, closest to the entrance. We found the service much better. Twice on the far side we had to go to the bar to get our coffee and water. The north side had it to our table before we even headed to the buffet. We tried the snack bar once for lunch but found the food to be a little on the cold side so we stuck with the main buffet after that.

We enjoyed the upgrades at the bars and the service was excellent. The addition of better whiskey and Tequila was nice. Although I will now have to buy 1800 for my wife's margaritas. It was a big plus that they added beach service. The waitresses worked really hard and were always around to ask for drinks.

We liked that they added more palapas but we weren't a big fan of the style. It also seemed to make the beach feel more crowded. Yes, the towel game was in full effect. It didn't bother us much because we were usually on the beach by 6:30. However, I did noticed one lady saving 4 palapas one morning at 7. Nobody used any of them until 10:30 and that was just one. The rest weren't used until after 11:30. We also like not having to use towel cards but we believed it added another problem. People would leave in the afternoon but not take their towels. This made it look like the chairs were still be used. We noticed one morning that a guy grabbed twelve towels, leaving just one as a lady was walking up to get two. Nice.

Now for the reason we probably will not be back. We have snorkeled at Akumal Bay every time we have went to Mexico(12 times). Everything has really went down. We only snorkeled once in 8 days. We saw a couple of turtles and not much else. Maybe the timing was off but it was disappointing. We like the resort but if the snorkeling isn't any good then we will stay at place that the beach is bigger with better swimming. You really can't enter the water south of the buffet. It's not fun when you sit in front of building 3&4 and have to walk to the north end of the beach just to get in the water. It's only going to get worse when the new Secrets opens up. The beach and the bay is going to be overcrowded in my opinion and its going to ruin the bay.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Polish first
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Most of what I've read on the reviews are spot on target. You are exposed to a bit each review. I will do a pro and con list as I think it is easier to do that way.

Pros:
Getting into restaurants easy
No real dress code ... did see flip flops and t-shirts in the only one that required dress up...
Food was so so
Wifi pretty much all over and at NO COST
They are constantly cleaning and well kept
Plenty of drinks by pool
Snorkeling is the good but not the best in the world.
No smoking in food areas
Great steak at snack bar...
Friendly staff
Rooms clean
Walmart near in case you need air fresheners or something.

Cons:
Washers and dryers not available yet... will be .. at somepoint
Left with stomach issues... but I did eat off premises.
Was moved from original room and promised to have new room at 9... then 12... then 3.... all the while having all my bags pack and not able to do much
The towel game is at a max... what a joke and really annoying
Seaweed
No air in any of the food areas except the dress up one
Not much for decorated rooms or cabinets (rooms sparse)
Elevator in bldg. 2 not working
Smell of sewage gas
Tv did not work
Bldg 2 loud from 24 hour bar noise makers and band
No hot water
Getting double team tagged on sales pitch BTW: $27,000 for 1000 hours and $17,000 for 500 hours and only special deal for one time only and for you only.....
No toilet paper in room
Bar was not restocked
No place to clean sand off from body around bldg. 3 and 4.

In a nutshell... I was moved to a new room because of the issues I had with no elevator, tv not working, no hot water, smell of sewage, and noise all night long. After that it was quiet. I bought an air freshener to help with the smell in the next room. For the price and flight time non stop... it was a great price and worth every penny. it is a great place to just relax and do very little... very pretty... great staff... attention to detail lacking... Pain in the butt tag team sales pitch... Would not go back only because I would like to try other places....

Room Tip: Bldg 3 and 4 are good if you want away from the noise.
St. Louis, MIssouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My wife and I recently returned home after a 1 week stay at the Akumal Bay Beach and Wellness Resort. We have travelled often to the Riveria Maya region and this trip was one of our favorites. The beach is beautiful with snorkelling right off of the beach. The food at the buffet and the specialty restaurants was alway good. Excellent drink service at the beach. All the staff were very friendly. The resort was spotlessly clean. All rooms are ocean front. The only things that could be improved upon is to provide shampoo in the room and to add some beach loungers around the pool instead of only bed type things. We did visit the Cenote Santa Cruz and loved, loved, loved it.
You need to book it on the Cenote Santa Cruz website. It was one of our favorite activities we have ever done in the area. Every afternoon a "one man band" entertains around the resort. He is a very talented and nice man. Call him over to play a few songs. Very enjoyable.

Hackettstown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I stayed at this resort towards the end of April for a total of 6 nights and we could not have been happier! We have stayed at several all inclusives and in Mexico several times and this ended up being the classiest all inclusive we've ever been to with understated elegance that was not in any way pretentious or uncomfortable (still has the relaxed beach vibe). Would definitely recommend for a girls trip or even a wedding (one took place while we were there). Our criteria when selecting a place was great off beach snorkeling and varied dining options (I'm a vegetarian).

Highlights:
- Great snorkeling with turtles, stink rays,etc
-Several types of Yoga (beginner,etc) plus Pilates offered daily in beach hut buildings facing the ocean.
-Excellent, hard working, committed staff (loved the Pilates and Yoga teachers)
-Beautiful grounds - always people cleaning, including the relentless beach cleaners that remove sea weed
-Comfortable hammocks, beautiful outdoor chairs and beds to relax in
-Fantastic dining options including different restaurants that don't require reservations.
-High end buffet (you are served drinks) that varies between meals
-Fantastic bars with extensive drink menus (virgin and alcoholic)
-Close to Xel Ha and other excursions
-Pool options
-Beautiful, pristine looking dining areas - white table clothes, indoor and outdoor dining

Considerations:
-I hear that they remove the beach canopies when turtles start laying eggs (end of May - June?) Given it is an 'eco' resort, not sure what areas of the beach remain accessible at that time of year.
-I would not recommend for young kids as there doesn't seem to be a lot of kids activities going on. We did see children but not many.
- There is sea weed laden water that you have to get through when entering the ocean before getting into clear snorkel water
-Like most other resorts, you need to stake out chairs/canopy very early in the morning for prime spots

Room Tip: Garden Suite (bottom level floor) is worth the slight up charge given beach front access. We origina...
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

No sooner we checked in and received our Welcome Drinks, a woman approached us trying to sell stuff. Very annoying. Never encountered this at other resorts. We had to tell her twice to go away. Like all places it had it's pros and cons.

Pro's

Snorkeling was fantastic, it's about 1/2km from building 4 part of hotel.

Very clean resort, room spotless daily and people were all around the resort cleaning floors etc.

If you forget something the town of Akumal is only about a 5-7 minute walk depending on what building you are in.

We were in building 4 in a penthouse. Building 4 is absolutely the most quiet.

Cons

Seaweed worst I ever saw. The staff does work hard to remove it, but it's impossible.

The beach is extremely rocky, especially near buildings 3 and 4 and not very easy to walk or swim in, even if you have water shoes.

No conditioner in the rooms, bring your own the conditioning shampoo sucks.

There is not really alot to do there in the evening other than drink and watch so so entertainment.

Be careful what you eat, I did end up with stomach issues the day before we left. We have been home 5 days now and I am just now feeling better.

Food was average. There were 4 places to eat, a snack bar and also a buffet.

Rodizio - Let's just say we have been to Brazilian style buffets before, and always left full. If you eat here plan to have a second dinner.

Buffet - Mornings extremely crowded very hard to find a seat. They have a large selection of food, just be careful what you choose. The yogurt is runny.

Mexican - No complaints very good and service was tops.

Japanese - I liked, my husband is a type 2 diabetic, in very good control. However his blood sugar did go a little higher than normal, when we ate here. Other than that we enjoyed it.

Gourmet- was a nice experience. Food good it takes about and 1 1/2 hours to eat there, not including desert. So get there early if you can.

Snack Bar - Nice location. Salads were good. Other than that, wasn't very good.

Room Tip: Building 1 if you want to be close to everything. Building 4 far from everything, but quiet.
Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Sierra Madre, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My husband and I traveled to this report for our 25th wedding anniversary. We were there from April 8th until April 18th. We had been here 13 years ago and had the best vacation ever. We loved the simplicity of the resort and the snorkeling was beyond compare.
We had requested builing 3 or 4 because we preferred the quiet side. Like many other travelors when we arrived we were in building 1. They did tell us to come back on Friday and that they may be able to change our room. And they did upgrade us to a penthouse room. The room was nice but I was concerned about the noise but we thought we would just see how things went and surely we wouldnt be spending much time in doors during the day.
On the third day of our trip I took a yoga class ( great instructor). There were two women in the class that had family members who had been ill for four days and not seeming to be getting any better, Fever and various stomach issues.
The next day, my day 4, I started to feel bad. On the third day into this illness I had a doctor come to my room. Hoping to save some of my vacation. At this time my temperature was 102 and there was no way I could go out on the beach or enjoy any meals. The Dr. gave me an anti biotic and several other pills. Total cost $250. I never got much better while I was there and the noise not only from the new resort construction but from the continued contruction in Building 1 was an annoyance but at this point I was not able to switch rooms.
My husband became ill on the trip home. We have both seen Doctors since we have been home. And it is some sort of bacterial infection probably ecoli. We have been home for two weeks and are still on the mend.
There have been several other reviews from people that were here at the same time with similar issues. So as nice as the staff is and as wonderful as the snorkeling is I would never return. Totally ruined our vacation. And as a side note we only drank bottled water.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Whitby, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We have traveled to many countries over the years but we have always shied away from Mexico in light of the occasional unfavorable news of tourists falling victim to foul play and of police corruption.
This time we took the leap and chose to go to Akumal Bay beach and wellness hotel in the middle of the Maya riviera.
We were pleasently surprised.
The hotel was not huge but it had undergone recent renovations so that everything looked new. The room was very spacious with a shower large enough for two. Every room had a round jacuzzy on the balcony and all suits faced the ocean.
There was a large buffet with lots of food choices with a special section for kids.
It also seemed to be a family destination as we saw several kids on the resort as well as a destination for weddings. It offered a 24 hour snack bar with many more choices where sometimes we would have lunch right after our suim, and 4 restaurants: Mexican, French, Brazilian and Japanese which required no reservation.
Drinks were good and the bar service included all " top shelf" liquors at no extra cost. They had staff continously walking all areas of the hotel with tray in hand asking if you wanted a drink, so you never had to get up from wherever you were.
The best part for us, as we enjoy snorkeling, was that there was coral reefs right off the beach with a great variety of fish some I never seen before as well as a feeding grounds for turtles, wich many groups came to see on excursions from other resorts .
We did take one excursion to see the Coba piramid and ruins, This also included a swim in an underground river which was both mesmerizing and refreshing.
Just one warning: use suntan lotion two to three times a day as the sun is unforgiving.
P.S. the only nightly entertainment was a group by the main bar area til 11:pm after which there was the option of a disco bar.
Glad we went.

Room Tip: Hotel had 4 floors, higher suites offered a better view.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort? Share your experiences!