My husband and I stayed at this resort towards the end of April for a total of 6 nights and we could not have been happier! We have stayed at several all inclusives and in Mexico several times and this ended up being the classiest all inclusive we've ever been to with understated elegance that was not in any way pretentious or uncomfortable (still has the relaxed beach vibe). Would definitely recommend for a girls trip or even a wedding (one took place while we were there). Our criteria when selecting a place was great off beach snorkeling and varied dining options (I'm a vegetarian).
- Great snorkeling with turtles, stink rays,etc
-Several types of Yoga (beginner,etc) plus Pilates offered daily in beach hut buildings facing the ocean.
-Excellent, hard working, committed staff (loved the Pilates and Yoga teachers)
-Beautiful grounds - always people cleaning, including the relentless beach cleaners that remove sea weed
-Comfortable hammocks, beautiful outdoor chairs and beds to relax in
-Fantastic dining options including different restaurants that don't require reservations.
-High end buffet (you are served drinks) that varies between meals
-Fantastic bars with extensive drink menus (virgin and alcoholic)
-Close to Xel Ha and other excursions
-Beautiful, pristine looking dining areas - white table clothes, indoor and outdoor dining
-I hear that they remove the beach canopies when turtles start laying eggs (end of May - June?) Given it is an 'eco' resort, not sure what areas of the beach remain accessible at that time of year.
-I would not recommend for young kids as there doesn't seem to be a lot of kids activities going on. We did see children but not many.
- There is sea weed laden water that you have to get through when entering the ocean before getting into clear snorkel water
-Like most other resorts, you need to stake out chairs/canopy very early in the morning for prime spots
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the ancient language of the Mayas, long before Cancun, there was a magic place called Akumal "Place of Turtles". Between Playa del Carmen and Tulum, Akumal Bay - Beach & Wellness Resort offers one of the best beaches anywhere, with almost a mile of white sandy powder beach, world-class snorkeling with sea turtles and top diving with a great variety of life that thrives within the live coral reef just steps from our guest room. The relaxed atmosphere in Akumal captivates the spirit of a laid back Mayan Riviera beachside town. Akumal Bay - Beach & Wellness Resort offers a truly unique experience for guests seeking the best possible beach vacation. All guest rooms are located in 4 buildings within steps of the ocean and feature breathtaking views of Akumal Bay. With the convenience of an All-Inclusive, we provide our guests with a sophisticated simplicity and friendly service in the intimate atmosphere of a small resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, BookIt.com, Hotels.com and getaroom.com so you can book your Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Akumal Beach Hotel Akumal
- Beach Resort Akumal
- Akumal Beach Resort Mexico
- Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort Riviera Maya, Mexico