We have visited this resort countless times and will always return for the natural beauty of Akumal Bay and the perfect beach. We are happy with the recent remodel but they are not quite 5 star yet.
REEF SAFE SUNSCREEN available in the gift shop.
LOW LIGHT in consideration of the Sea Turtles.
NO HASSLE BEACH TOWELS: no towel cards to manage, just endless towels available in several areas near the beach.
PLENTY OF BEACH PALAPAS with adequate lounges.
NO HASSLE A LA CARTE DINING: Unlimited access and no need to make reservations in advance which helps you stay in the schedule free vacation spirit.
IMPROVED DINING OPTIONS AND FOOD QUALITY
COVERED WALKWAYS allow you to walk almost completely the entire length of the resort and stay dry during a rain storm.
BEDS AT POOL SIDE AND BEACH SIDE with no additional fees.
BEACH SIDE DRINK SERVICE was excellent.
BEACH FRONT beverage stations.
24/7 BEACH SIDE SNACK BAR
LIVE MUSICIANS roaming the beach and MARIACHIS in the Dining Room.
BEST STAFF IN THE RIVIERA MAYA. We are so happy that they kept their previous employees. They are genuinely friendly, happy and eager to please.
The reef, sea turtles and snorkeling are the greatest asset of this resort. The management needs to educate the guests regarding protection of the reef and sea turtles. I suggest some literature in all the rooms and perhaps a sign near the beach or snack bar with simple instructions not to stand on or touch the reef, wear reef safe sunscreen and never touch the turtles. I saw a life guard blow his whistle when someone stood on the reef but the offender appeared to have no idea why the life guard was blowing his whistle and continued to stand on the reef.
The food quality improved in variety of animal proteins (seafood, meats) but decreased the amount of vegetables. In previous years the quality and quantity of vegetable options was better. They also had better yogurt available. Now they have the highly sweetened and preserved Yoplait. This change is not consistent with the title, “…Wellness Resort”.
The PUBLIC BATHROOM stalls are too small. When you sit down your knees hit the door and the toilet seat is too flexible and slips off the bowl.
5 star resorts usually have cushions on the beach lounges.
The covered walkway was oiled daily with a product that smelled of gasoline and made me cough. It was slippery.
PENTHOUSE SUITE not worth the extra money. We paid extra for the penthouse suite which was advertised as having twice the square feet. The roof top patio was the only extra square feet. The room itself had less usable square feet than the standard rooms. The stairs to the roof top patio consumed areas previously used for closets, dressers, etc. Consequently there was limited area to put your personal items, clothing etc. We asked for an extra table, dresser or luggage rack multiple times for 3 days. Management told us they did not have any available. The only place to sit was on the bed. They did not have adequate electric outlets. We had to unplug the TV to charge our phones and computer. The unit needed many finishing touches, towel hooks, dressers, tables. The roof top patio was not a pleasant place to relax. The patio umbrella would tip or blow over with frequent Caribbean breezes. I suggest a permanent shaded area, perhaps in the upper back level. The patio also needs some additional furniture such as a table and chairs. The roof patio wall would look better with some turtles painted on it. At the top of the roof patio stairs they need a table/cabinet stocked with towels and bath salts and hooks for the bath robes.
We asked for extra hangers to try to help with the storage problem and they had none available. Not something you usually hear from a 5 star resort.
No railings in the stairwells.
The public bathroom doors swung so forcibly they could injure someone or knock over a small child.
Walkways slippery after being oiled.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the ancient language of the Mayas, long before Cancun, there was a magic place called Akumal "Place of Turtles". Between Playa del Carmen and Tulum, Akumal Bay - Beach & Wellness Resort offers one of the best beaches anywhere, with almost a mile of white sandy powder beach, world-class snorkeling with sea turtles and top diving with a great variety of life that thrives within the live coral reef just steps from our guest room. The relaxed atmosphere in Akumal captivates the spirit of a laid back Mayan Riviera beachside town. Akumal Bay - Beach & Wellness Resort offers a truly unique experience for guests seeking the best possible beach vacation. All guest rooms are located in 4 buildings within steps of the ocean and feature breathtaking views of Akumal Bay. With the convenience of an All-Inclusive, we provide our guests with a sophisticated simplicity and friendly service in the intimate atmosphere of a small resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and EasyToBook so you can book your Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Akumal Beach Hotel Akumal
- Beach Resort Akumal
- Akumal Beach Resort Mexico
- Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort Riviera Maya, Mexico