“Awesome beach and area, decent ammenities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Akumal Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Akumal Beach Resort to your Saves list
Akumal Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km. 104 Carretera Federal Cancun-Chetumal, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 20 hotels in Akumal
Marietta, Ohio
“Awesome beach and area, decent ammenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

First off, this is a 3.5 star resort in a 5 star setting. The people trashing this place need to get a clue and should learn to read the description of a resort before being shocked it doesn't have this or that upon arrival. Also to the other negative reviewers, you're in a third world country in the caribbean, it is hot, humid and there are bugs, don't go if you don't like that. I travel alot and really enjoyed this resort. As stated in other reviews, it is under construction and improvements, so it should be nicer next year. The construction never really bothered us much. The resort is small and doesn't offer all the options bigger resorts do, like multiple restaurants and bars, but what it lacks with those it makes up for it because of that with ALOT fewer people and much more personalized service and relaxation. Not having to hop a "train" to get around the resort, its all within a few minutes walk. Plus, the beach is HUGE and you're not piled on top of people like other bigger resorts.

The best part of the resort is Obviously the beach. Top notch, great sand, plenty of shade. Trip from any room to laying on the beach is less than 75 yards. Turtles, barracuda, urchins, coral reef, stingrays, etc etc all within 50 yards of the beach in less than 10 feet of water that is very calm and easy to snorkle.

Akumal beach is just down the way a short walk and offers a nice bar and restaurant, with alot of shops and markets for supplies, although its pretty pricey.

Playa de Carmen is about a 25 minute ride away and offers all the touristy things you could hope for including ALOT cheaper knick knacks, supplies, beer, etc. I'd highly recommend going. My boy had his picture taken with monkeys, tiger and lion clubs and snakes. But be prepared to get hounded by people trying to sell you everything from food to cigars to drugs. Just smile and keep walking, no big deal.

Plenty of excursions within a short distance. I wish I had known the swimming with whale sharks was only $199, but will do next time.

As stated, this is a smaller resort so don't expect the big resort luxuries. It only has 1 main buffet which was really good and had plenty of vegetarian options. It was the same basic set up each day, but has alot of variety. Breakfast was great. I'd highly recommend making reservations for the private resataruant for dinner, food was different and really good, it alternates between italian and mexican. The snack bar is just that and offers basic food like chips, burgers, hot dogs and pizza, The guacamole is AMAZING though. The main bar is great although I wish they had more liquor and beer options. Entertainment is limited but fun. But I like that, the beauty of the resort would be over run if there was loud entertainment all day and would detract from it. Alex and Alejandro were great at offering things to do all day and are excellent for advice. Wilbert and Felipe were amazing bar tenders. All those guys really made it feel like a family and made the trip very easy and relaxing. The local marine biologist was very knowledgable. We got to watch a turtle laying her eggs, albeit from a distance.

Things to know.
Snorkel early and late, the tours make it a bit crowded between 11-2, but not bad. Turtles are everywhere, so not a big deal.
Need a ride somewhere, walk to the road and get a collectivo, safe and only $3 a person.
Take a big insulated cup, theirs are small and drinks get warm quick.
Beds are HARD, request a pad ASAP
Rent equipment by the week, only $45, although we took our own
check in and out was QUICK and easy.

All in all, as stated, this resort is small and relaxing, don't expect big resort ammenitiies, but do expect relaxation and nature. I loved it and will return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

1,283 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
Troy, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This is the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. If you are looking for a great snorkeling experience this place is amazing. I do however have mixed feelings,making it a difficult decision on whether to return. Upon arrival,we were not allowed to check into our room early,although the resort was not at all crowded much to our surprise.we were exhausted from traveling and just wanted to drop our bags and freshen up.we stayed in building 6,which was perfect.The ocean was right there. The rooms were just as we expected,very outdated yet clean.The air conditioner didn't work very well so we were always a little sticky.The toilet broke twice,once causing quite a bit of water on the floor but they did fix it. Onto the food.that was the worst part.we are not picky eaters at all,however it.was.not.good.Not even breakfast.Everything was bland, Luke warm and the same thing over and over.Thankfully the town of Akumal is a. 5-10 minuite walk along the beach,and we enjoyed a fabulous meal In town each day. It would have been harder had we not had other dining options. The staff was great.very friendly.5 stars there. We also expected the beach to be crowded with snorkeling tours and were pleased that it wasn't.we never had a problem getting a chair.I should have stated,we were there the first week of June. The resort is very quiet.very peaceful which we like but we would have liked it to be a little more lively.As much as we enjoyed being there,good and bad,after 7 days we were ready to go. Bottom line is,do we go back to the most beautiful beach and settle for less in a resort,or stay in a better resort and take a cab to the beach? Don't know.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I enjoyed my week at the Akamal Beach Resort. This is not a place where you will get sheets with counted threads and pillow top mattresses, if that's the type of vacation you are looking for - stay elsewhere; If you don't like buffets - stay elsewhere; if you need top shelf liquor - stay elsewhere - you will not be happy here. If you ARE looking for a down-to-earth, relaxing vacation, with the opportunity to meet some new friends,or are looking for a family oriented vacation, then this place is for you. The staff, especially the entertainment group (Alex and Alex) are exceptional. The food is OK, the rooms were CLEAN but old, and the beach and pool are wonderful. I would have loved to have ice machines, a clock in my room, and a coffee maker (without being charged), but shut off your computer, your phone, and your tablet, forget about what time it is, and really enjoy the vacation. I left feeling relaxed and recharged! Keep in mind it is hot and humid here, but there's plenty of water to cool off. Make your dinner reservation in the "sit down" restaurant same day to have a change from the buffet! The food there on "Italian night" was really good.( I didn't do the Mexican night.) They are getting ready for a major renovation and the hotel will close in Sept. through Jan. is what they told me. And be prepared for about an hour's drive from the airport, set up your transportation before you leave - it's worth it.

Room Tip: Get a mattress topper. Rent a coffee pot if you don't want to go to the buffet first thing in t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed here for part of our honeymoon to Mexico. The beach was amazing and the pools were good. The staff weren't overly friendly and we weren't allowed an early checkin at midday on our arrival. This was disappointing as it was our honeymoon.

The beds were a little uncomfortable and the quality of the drinks was mediocre as was the food but good enough. There was no wifi in the rooms which was annoying.

We saw stingrays and turtles whilst snorkelling which was amazing. Buy your snorkel gear at the convenience store in the backstreets.

Stayed July 2014
Lawrenceburg, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

Sadly, the Akumal Beach Resort I visited won't be around much longer. Major changes are in the works, the cranes were working overtime while we were there (the construction never woke us up, however) and evidently in September it will shut down for a few months to renovate the common areas. Hopefully what emerges will retain its relaxing soul because we had a great time. I'm confident that will be the case because most of that soul came from the people. They were quick with a smile and eager to please.

Thanks to other reviewers we knew the flaws (and yes, the beds were hard) but what is much harder to convey are the positives. Eating at a table literally a few feet from the surf, starting and ending the day snorkeling on a reef with sea turtles, the smiles of the workers, the unhurried pace of being on vacation, grabbing chips and guacamole at the snack bar all afternoon... I read back through my description and it pales in comparison to actually being there. Technically we flew back yesterday, but part of me is still there watching the waves endlessly break on the beach (and heading back to the serve-yourself beer tap for another cold one).

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

There is a review on yelp that sums up he resort perfectly. From the moment you arrive you are blown away by the beauty of the outdoor lobby, bar, crystal clear ocean view and even the cleanest if pools. The food is above good but you do get tired of eating it after 3 days. The staff is ever so friendly. The rooms are adequate and clean although I did have a funny smell in one of my 2 rooms when I ran the air. The hotel offered to let me change rooms but I chose to stay. I stayed in July and the temperature is so moderate especially with the pleasant ocean breeze you don't need the a/c. The hotel is doing a big renovation so I hate to say more about the level of the rooms because they are fine as is but are improving surely. The beds are harder than you probably are used to but I slept fine. I do hate you have to pay $35 per device for internet and only get it in the lobby area. There are good excursions from the hotel and you really do swim with sea turtles here.

Room Tip: Ask for oceanfront to stay away from construction is you come this summer.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We just returned from 8nights at ABR. I cried when I left. The rooms are nothing great, but who spends time in the room when the most beautiful beach is outside your door. The AC worked great in the rooms tho.
The staff was excellent, felt like family by the end if the trip. We are already planning out next trip next summer to ABR for 2 weeks this time.

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Akumal Beach Resort? Share your experiences!