You know you had an awesome vacation when you remember most of the staff by name and they know you! Carlos in the main buffet would seat us for breakfast and lunch always with a smile and greeting, Max at night and a few other that alternated the buffet in the evening again would welcome us to sit with new friends or a nice table by ourselves. Every morning Wilbert (Willy) in the main bar would give us the Hola and ask if we wanted a cappuccino. You can’t forget Philippe, Clemente and Carlos in the Main Bar/Snack Bar area also. They knew how to make you feel that you were the only one they were serving. The entertainment staff of Shy and Alex (chocolate) always had the right words to get us motivated to do morning yoga, beach volleyball, coconut tasting, Mr/Mrs Akumal and dancing to the live entertainment at night. They were first class and interesting people to get to know. Elizabeth at the morning egg station was a joy to walk up to and see what kind of eggs we could create today. They all were such great hosts I wanted to cook for them!!! This is the kind of place that you bring home the warm smiles you met, the attention to you ... the customer and all the interesting conversation you had with the staff, and you consider them now a friend (some even on facebook) .
Akumal Beach Resort ABR has atmosphere, family feel, cozyness, warm and friendly written all over it. I hope that the new construction and progress does not change the face of this resort. The front desk staff and room maid staff we really did not see too much as we were always at the beach or within other areas of the facility. When we did see them, they were as you would suspect, awesome! It was also nice to see the owner and higher management walk around and take a hands on approach with the resort. It was also a nice surprise to see a sandwich/fruit plate waiting in our room for us after our late check-in. SWEET!
ABR has the nicest beach front and snorkeling we have found throughout the Caribbean. Water shoes are great to have but more for those that don’t really look where they are stepping. You can walk the 1 kilometer down the beach to the village and spend time in any of the many restaurants or the ice cream parlor or just soak up the sun, people watch and walk in the warm water as you stroll hand in hand. We haven’t been everywhere but this is a slice of heaven for sure. When tour companies bring in bus loads of vacationers who want to snorkel with the turtles or many species of fish, you know you found that slice of heaven.
Rooms at ABR were efficient and simple, so do not expect marble everywhere. We were in building 6 the second floor with a great view of the beach and stars every night from the balcony. Hint, bring a little clothes line and place on the balcony to hang your wet thing on, it helps.
Buffet were well laid out and stocked pretty good. Desserts my favourite! The Al A Carte was good, tasty and well presented but that night it was windy and our food cooled off maybe a little too fast. Nothing to complain about. Snack Bar by the pool was well used when we were on that end of the beach. Ice Cream was a favourite for me. Pool was big, well sectioned off and had something for everyone. Main bar was a virtual meeting place for early morning coffee, zen music, beautiful sunrises/sunsets, after meal specialties, or just talking with a new found friend about the different fish you just saw. Always a great vibe and I wish it was my back-yard.
All in all this resort might be rated a bit lower than what you strive for but it is the most relaxing, friendly, wish I could stay forever type of all inclusive. I can see and understand why we met so many return residents day after day.
I haven't said anything about the dive shops, town of Akumal, swimming in the turquoise water, watching sting rays, turtles and the abundance of varied fish get on with life with snorkle fans all over, but that is what this area is famous for.
I could just ramble on forever. Picture will follow.
- Also Known As:
- Akumal Beach Hotel Akumal
- Akumal Beach Hotel
- Beach Resort Akumal
- Akumal Beach Resort Mexico
- Akumal Beach Resort Riviera Maya, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the ancient language of the Mayas, long before Cancun, there was a magic place called Akumal "Place of Turtles"Between Playa del Carmen and Tulum, Akumal Beach Resort offers one of the best beaches anywhere, with over a mile of white sandy powder beach, world-class snorkeling with sea turtles and top diving with a great variety of life that thrives within the live coral reef just steps from our guest room.The relaxed atmosphere in Akumal captivates the spirit of a laid back Mayan Riviera beachside town. Akumal Beach Resort offers a truly unique experience for guests seeking the best possible beach vacation. All guest rooms are located in buildings within steps of the ocean and feature breathtaking views of Akumal Bay. With the convenience of an All-Inclusive, we provide our guests with a sophisticated simplicity and friendly service in the intimate atmosphere of a small resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Tingo, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Otel, Cheap Tickets, Venere, Agoda and Fareportal so you can book your Akumal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.