“2nd Time a ABR” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Akumal Beach Resort

You added Akumal Beach Resort to your Saves list
Akumal Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km. 104 Carretera Federal Cancun-Chetumal, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Elk River, MN
“2nd Time a ABR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

First off... This is a VERY laid back resort. If you want to party, stay in Cancun or Playa Del Carmen!!! This is my second trip to this resort, and I have to say that nothing has changed, and by that I mean that everything is just as wonderful as the first time!! I can't say enough good things about this property. The people are friendly, the service is amazing, everything is clean, and the beach is beyond compare. When I go on vacation, I want to relax. I want to sit on a beach in a chair and make my husband go get drinks for me. If I want to go on tours I can go to the front desk and arrange them. I don't like to be run ragged by an agenda. This property is a little older and there are a few things that could use work. The rooms could use to be updated a bit which I believe they are working on, and It would be nice to be able to access Wi-Fi in my room, but those are small things. My room was spotless every day. The food is very good and I never had any trouble finding plenty to eat. The burgers and fries at the snack bar are really good!! I would like to give a huge thank you to Samuel who was our server at dinner. He always made sure we had wine or coffee or whatever we needed. Alejandro is the Food and Beverage manager, and I must say he works hard to make sure everything is just right. Wilbert at the bar is super friendly and does his job with a smile. Shy and the crew are very entertaining, and really get people involved in the activities. ALL the staff go above and beyond, but these people especially made my stay wonderful. My housekeeper did an excellent job. She always made little towel animals every day. (I just love that). Security is always around. It's nice to know that should anything happen they are there. ( although there was never any reason to worry). I will tell you that I tip. These people work very hard 6 days a week so that you have a good stay, and although it's all inclusive, I don't think they get nearly enough. I don't know if the service is better because of it, I would think probably not, but I just like to show appreciation for a job well done. I heard they are putting another resort in next door. I hope it doesn't ruin the charm of the area. It would be a shame to have it spoiled in any way. I had a wonderful time, and will stay 10 days next time.

Room Tip: Bring a big cup, 50 or better sunscreen "just in case", and order a pad for the bed. The...

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
Maple Park, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

The Akumal Beach Resort was beautiful and very clean. It is right on the beach. Our room was # 532 which overlooked the pool. Right after the pool was the beach. There were some rooms that were closer to the beach so if you book and want one of those, make sure you ask. There were 2 buildings (with rooms) on the north side of the resort that looked much older than the rest. Though I only saw them from the outside, they didn't look as nice as the others. The staff was very friendly. Great snorkeling from the beach. We saw several green turtles, rays, LOTS of fish and even a squid. It is within walking distance to the town of Akumal which had a few small stores and a few shops for soveniers. The only negative thing I have to say about it is how hard the beds were. I mean really hard. They have 2 computers where you can check email and print boarding passes. They do have wifi but you had to pay for it which we didn't do because, I thought, the cost was to high. The food buffet was great and had a lot of selection. If you like snorkeling, this is a great place. I would also visit a place on the north side of Akumal called "The Lagoon" for snorkeling. It was $14 per person plus the cost of renting the equipment (we had our own so I'm not sure of the rental cost). This is a must if you like snorkeling. You can catch a cab in Akumal.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side of the resort looked older.
Folsom, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I've been fortunate to have traveled a great deal in my life( S.Pacific, Asia, Orient, Europe, Australia, South & Central America…) and The Akumal Beach Resort is by far my and my teenage son's favorite!..and the repeat vacationeers-my son and myself included, are further evidence to it's popularity~ My 16 year old son and I spent 8 amazing days this past Feb13-21,2014 as well as a week in 2012 at ABR~ many of the guest we met (again) have returned to ABR year after year- some as many as 14 consecutive years and for up to 30 days each year!! That alone tells you there is something very special about "our home away from home" in paradise, and when I use the term "our" that is how it feels-as if we have partial ownership of our resort(ABR), we love it and care for it...~ the scenery of the approx. mile long white powder sand beach with easy access to the turquoise warm & clear water, lined with palm trees and shade cabanas, and the beautiful and full of life reef that sits within an easy swim from the comfort of your lounge chair on the beach, the activities -beach volleyball, beach bocci-ball (my son and I played hours daily in between our snorkeling to and from the reef to swim with 100's of tropical fish and many sea turtles and our trips to the beach snack bar with adult & soft drinks,ice cream, pizza, burgers, fries, nachos…yumm), dance classes at the pool, water aerobics in the pool, shuffle board, nightly music and fun games and entertainment~speaking of nightly entertainment which this time included karaoke, "Name that tune or movie" contests, music & dancing, "MS & MR Akumal Resort" contests, and authentic Mexican Dancers-were all a blast and a lot of fun(my son won the Mr Akumal contest 2 yrs ago)! However, this trip did not have the shows-dance and skits that the "entertainers/employees" put on last trip~ especially the dance and "glow" show that was performed and choreographed by "Shy" and the rest of her fellow entertainers including "Alex" (Alejandro)-that show was terrific! Please bring it back Señor Ortiz!!…Speaking of Señor Ortiz, he is the owner, a visionary, a very intelligent, and caring man-not only does he care for his vacationeers and his(our) resort but he cares for his employees whom he hires based on their personalities(as he told me- they can be trained to perform their duties but genuine & friendly & happy personality is the primary basis for their gaining employment and what a wonderful place to "work"!! prime example is Carlos the Beach bartender-he is not only a wonderful and joyous character but he is also a true Mayan(fascinating people-do some research) he always kept me and my son laughing…the entire staff at ABR are wonderful folks especially Shy (what a dancer!), both Alejandros(food Mgr and entertainer-very funny), both Carlos'(food server and aforementioned beach bartender, tu es mi amigo Carlos), Sergio at the front desk(very helpful and always smiling), Felipe at the dance/music hall bar(great drinks) and all of them really wonderful people~you all made our trip fantastic!…finally, there have been numerous rumors about the proposed expansion of our beloved ABR~ I had the pleasure of sitting and speaking with the owner Señor Ortiz on 3 occasions during our trip~the 1st time I approached him to let him know what a wonderful time my son and I were having (again) the next 2 time upon his invitation~ we spoke of many things but the topic of expansion was the focus~as previously mentioned Señor Ortiz is a visionary & an honorable man and he confirmed the the resort will be closed for expansion sometime between May thru Dec to accommodate building updates including all larger rooms with the enclosure of the balconies and the addition of new balconies, the addition of 2 small swim/wading pools in front of bldgs 6 & 7 & between the bldgs and the beach, adding an upper level of rooms to all bldgs, addition a 3 new a-la-carte restaurants and increasing the resort's status from a 3.5 star to a 5 star~ all with the goal to further preserve the natural beauty of the resort including the beach, reef, and the gorgeous surrounding grounds/jungle and all at a minimal increase in the cost to the vacationeers (approx 15%) ~what was once my deep concern and even fear due this expansion is now tempered with a great deal of excitement and anticipation to return to ABR next year and see and experience the updates and improvements and the wonderful staff at Señor Ortiz's resort and our home away from home in paradise.~ Curt & Hunter

Room Tip: Thank those who work so hard to make ABR paradise!!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Ridge, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

We were at the resort Feb16-23 2014. There were 13 of us ages ranging from 7-66. We all had a great time and the staff could not have been more friendly. The beach is beautiful, and snorkeling on the premesis is a big plus. The entertainment in the evenings was very nice. And lets not forget the delicious French fries, guacamole , hamburgers and ice cream at the outdoor grill area. Breakfast was always a great start to the day.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

My husband and I traveled here mid February, 2014. We came for our week long honeymoon. We paid extra for a private dinner on the beach (which was beautiful). We also booked a couple excursions while there, the ATV Jungle tour, swimming with Dolphins, and a day trip to the Coba Mayan Ruins. It was AMAZING. The beach is great- we didn't snorkel there so I can't speak to that, but the food was excellent & the room was a nice king size, ocean front room. We have decided we will be back. The staff was more than friendly. We were very pleased.

Room Tip: Room 649 was the perfect view & perfect distance from the dining room
Woodinville, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Perfect setting for a perfect tropical vacation! We had so much fun that we're coming back next year and bringing the kids. You can snorkel practically right outside your room! We saw tons of sea turtles, colorful fish, manta rays, sting rays, eels, barracuda, sea snakes (all safe I can assure you!) and the list goes on! Perfectly clear and warm water!
The food was excellent; always a huge variety for every preference. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. I read some previous trip advisor reviews where people were complaining about the beds?! Simply not true! The beds were soft and very comfortable. The swimming pool is the perfect size and not too crowded.
One of the best things about this resort is the staff! They are so friendly and helpful and they take the time to know your name! Special thanks to Alex, Shy, Jana, Raul, and Carlos (buffet) who helped make this resort outstanding!
Thanks again Akumal Beach Resort for making this the best vacation yet and we'll see you next year!
My Best,
David and Robyn Whitehead

Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Resort was nice and small. DEFINITELY NOT the type of place for a younger crowd that wants to have party. It was like a geriatric facility in the sense that everything was shut down by 11pm. You also don't have much around you to go for night time excursions within walking distance. Getting a taxi at night is very hard as well. Rooms were clean and the beach was great. Ladies cleaning the rooms and working the front desk were very efficient and seemed authentic. I watched the entertainment staff and to be very frank I only found one if the young men to be pleasant. I believe he was from Venezuela. The other one I found to come across as not liking his job. Managers did not appear to be treating the workers the way i would. I did not witness any gratitude for the job they are doing

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Akumal Beach Resort? Share your experiences!