“Great Snorkeling Close By” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Akumal Beach Resort

You added Akumal Beach Resort to your Saves list
Akumal Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km. 104 Carretera Federal Cancun-Chetumal, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
The Woodlands, Texas
“Great Snorkeling Close By”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We just got back from Akumal Beach Resort & the snorkeling was great close by the beach. You really didn't need to go on a boat! We saw lots of turtles and beautiful birds. Also saw native wildlife. The food was delicious! Fresh vegetables & a healthy buffet! I totally recommend it. It is isolated enough & the dinning is beach view! unlike other hotels.

Room Tip: Building 700 is farthest from the night events & very quiet, the walk may be long but worth it.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The most beautiful beach in the world! ABR has an amazing staff, good food and great drinks! The rooms are adequate, but don't come here for the room. The beach and snorkeling with the turtles, only minutes away, is unrivaled! We went for 2 weeks in May, 2013 for our Honeymoon and are going back in September for our Birthdays! :)

Room Tip: Building 6, 3rd floor...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Henderson, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We loved everything about our vacation here. Tips:
(1) bring your own snorkel equipment because we did and we snorkeled at least 3 times every day, after breakfast, before lunch, and afternoon.
(2) invest in some good mosquito repellant. That was the one big down-side to the whole vacation. We got eaten alive, probably since we were there in late June.
(3) Tip. We tipped everyone, but never saw others tipping. It's so sad. If you can afford to go here, you can affort a little extra each day to show the bartenders, omellette person, housekeeping, waiters, etc. some appreciation.
(4) go on the CEA Turtle Walk. We did an we saw two Green Sea Turtles nest and lay their eggs. It's not a luxury excursion. There's lots of walking through the sand with mosquitos and waiting, and it doesn't start till 9pm. We were out there until midnight and were the first to call it a night. Their staff are serious about protecting the turtles. It was a rewarding experience, and only $15/pp.
(5) If you can, visit The Jungle Place, the spider monkey sanctuary. It was a unique and amazing 2 hours, at a donation of $80/pp (see our review of it for June 28, 2013).
(6) Order 2 drinks at a time since the glasses are so small, or take your own mug. We took large Bubba's, but I found the drinks weren't very strong; they still used the same amount of alcohol, just added extra ice and other stuff to fill my mug. Either ask them for a double/triple, or just get two in their glasses.
(7) We were in room 656. No smoke smell, great view, freezing A/C. We got there to find only one King, so we had them bring in a twin for our son. It worked great. Bldg. 6 is quieter at night but still not too far away. We asked for the top floor and a bed topper and got both.
(8) after snorkeling, dip into the pool to kill any jellyfish larvae that may be on your skin or any other slimy parasites....just sayin it's not a bad idea.
(9) we mostly walked down to just past the Moonrise, then went straight out beyond the bouyes (sp?) to see turtles, and went out further to the reef and fish life galore. My new LocoGringo friend WaterBaby took me out one afternoon to the reef by the far end of the Akumal Bay and we say a large lobster, two lionfish, a large puffer, some exotic live coral, and beatiful fish that I didn't see out by the Moonrise, if you feel more adventurous. But I did see the very large Barracuda above a lone corral rock closer in from the Moonrise, and say mantas, sting rays, turtles, eels, a huge tuna, lots of schools, and gorgeous parrot fish.
(10) We looooved the food, especially the guac which we ate every day, the Chilequiles, omelettes, carne asada, and variety of desserts. We loved the Mexican buffet night. The mexican soup with garbanzos was to die for.
(11) Go to Locogringo.com and do research to get the straight scoop from the experts.
All in all, I'd say if you aren't the type that like room service or butler service on the beach, then this is the perfect Riviera Maya destination.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was my first time traveling to an all inclusive resort and ABR far surpassed my expectations prior to the trip. When we arrived, we were greeted by a very kind front desk staff and a welcome cocktail. Our room was on the first floor which meant we didn't have much of a view but that didn't matter because we were one the beach or at the pool most of the day!

The food was pretty good but it could've been better a few days. But they have a snack bar on the other side of the pool from the dining area that serves hot dogs and hamburgers all day which is very convenient.

The beach could not have been any more beautiful! The sand was white as can be, the water was crystal clear, and it is the perfect place for snorkeling. We were able to see turtles, stingrays, manta rays, and a huge variety of tropical fish.

The best part about the resort though is the staff. They always greet you with a smile, even if you don't speak spanish and they don't speak english. They were always more than happy to help us out with anything we needed! The entertainment staff was awesome as well. We became good friends with them by the end of our trip because they do such a good job of keeping you entertained with their multiple activities each day and their want for your participation.

I will definitely be coming back to ABR

Room Tip: 3rd floor of any building has the best view
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Yes, the beds are hard, the linens a bit thread-bare, and the rooms spare (but clean and in good condition). Don't go here if you demand 5-star accommodations. However, if your surroundings and accessible activities matter to you, this is the place. The staff are wonderful, the buffet/restaurant/bars excellent, and the location out of this world. Seriously people--you can snorkel with turtles, sting rays, and a reasonable selection of fish at will from their beautiful beach. My husband has been diving for 30 some odd years and was thoroughly impressed--this was our kids introduction to snorkeling and they will be spoiled for good. Plus if you come with a rented car you are easy driving distance to the ruins at Tulum and Coba (definitely go here), and various nature parks (Aktun Chen is virtually across the street), and the hotel is well-integrated into its surroundings (not a Las Vegas-style monstrosity--though bring bug spray). We would definitely go back, we had a fabulous time (though were very glad to see our soft beds when we got home).

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room in building 6, away from the pool and near the dining area.
Milton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Loved--the food ,beach ,hospitality ,cleanliness, massages,security---Not so loved---dining room was HOT---we ate all our meals at the bar palapa to cool down-- trying to rent a car from the resort(you have to transport---by your own means, to Tulum & find a rental company) We had 2 rooms on separate floors in Bldg. 5 (noisy) not so great for 2 women w/ 2 kids.-no elevators. Pool closes at 7 PM.
ABR has the potential to be a really great small resort with just a little more updating & understanding of their clients needs & to be able to build repeat customers that will return year after year.PS--I've been visiting this area since 1985---JM & crew

Room Tip: Bldg. 6& 7 quieter---end units larger
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

AKUMAL BEACH RESORT – June 5-12, 2013
LOS AGUACHILES - Tulum – June 8

Arrived in CUN at 10:15am to a very crowded immigration area. Got the green light after a one half hour wait and exited with my travel documents in hand – big mistake. Was immediately approached by one of the sharks who insisted she verify my documents. “No you don’t!” I glared from behind my sunglasses and haughtily brushed past.

There were puddles outside from a recent shower but the sun was trying to come out, a good sign judging from the reports of 5 days of almost steady rain. We easily found our Vacation Express guide and waited for about 10 mins for the van. As it turned out, we were the only passengers. Our trip went smoothly but at one point a shower overtook us and 307 became swamped. I noticed the large Xel-Ha sign a previous poster had put up on Loco Gringo; its bottom was still inundated.
Arrived at Akumal Beach Resort approximately at 12:50. Our room wasn’t ready so we decided on a drink at the bar and then lunch.

FOOD: At lunch I soon realized that the food was a definite improvement over my trip of last September. I actually had soup, which I hardly touch in the tropics. Henceforth, soup became my first course: cream of mushroom, chicken vegetable (yeah, like the one served at the Loncheria, just add a squeeze of lime), black bean, potato and leek, et al. Dinner always presented something at the carving board, whether fish or meat. Big surprise was a huge roast beef on Saturday night; it looked great and tasted even better. It was well seasoned and tender and its various “doneness” gave every one a treat.

I never eat desserts but Crema Catalan, coconut mousse cake and papaya or pineapple in syrup was wonderful. I asked the chef how the fruit in syrup was prepared and he mentioned that it was slowly boiled in a mixture of orange juice and sugar until it became dark brown. Yes, at the outset they don’t look appetizing but are delicious – and a great way of using left-over fruit. I would pair them with ice cream. The chef is doing a good job.

The snack bar has the usual offerings of hamburgers, franks,chips, guacamole, fries and pizza. They’ll do the job if you don’t want to go to the dining hall. One note: I love guacamole but ABR’s lacked a key ingredient – cilantro. I realize cilantro is a specific taste and some people might not like it. Perhaps a side tray of chopped cilantro could be presented to be mixed in to one’s taste.

SERVICE: Have never complained, it’s always been very good. Cudos to Alejandro, Akumal Beach Resort’s Food and Beverage Manager. Since he arrived a few years ago, things have tightened up. He walks the floor of the dining hall, noticing what people prefer as he conducts his version of marketing research. He is ever helpful, pitching in to clear up a table here, making a suggestion there. He gave me a plate at the omelet station and indicated it was for my choice of fillings. Wilbert, Carlos, Timhy, Clemente, Felipe, Yeshua, Marianne and all others were in attendance, as usual. We were happy to see them again.

ROOM: I’d e-mailed a request for Building 6 or 7, 2nd or 3rd floor about a week and a half prior to arrival and was given keys to room 745. It was on the 3rd floor of Building 7, under one of the palapa roofs, with a fantastic view of the sea. I climb stairs at home so I didn’t mind the climb and the stairs are relatively shallow.
The first night, after dinner, walked along the back of Building 6 and heard the most incredible cacophony of trilling, squeaking, chirping, croaking and clacking emanating from the swamp that had formed from all that rain behind the building. Oh, yes, unlimited nature.

BEACH: Since the beach is now contracted ABR’s loungers are closer to each other minus those lined up in front of Building 3 for the use of specific snorkel tours. Because this was low season I didn’t have a problem with getting shade, whether under a palapa or palm tree and it didn’t feel that crowded. My preferred spot was directly south of the massage hut although one day a small snorkel tour gathered immediately in front of my lounger where its guide gave instructions.
SNORKELING: It was windy during the entire week of my stay and the water was quite kicked up so visibility wasn’t optimal. Because of that I didn’t go to Half Moon Bay. I saw turtles, rays and fish but the large schools of blue tang and other school fish were nowhere to be seen. The current was pretty strong and since I don’t swim with fins, I could feel it in my arms and legs. Good exercise, I convinced myself. I’ve always loved to snorkel the deeper water and beautiful corals heads near the mouth of the boat channel but this time I didn’t bother because the tours were usually headed to that area. My best snorkeling of the week was on my last morning when I went in at 7:30 am. What a difference! There were lots of fish and several turtles in the coral in front of the massage hut. The fish seemed to be – for wont of better words –relaxed and happy. Now I know when to snorkel.

LOS AGUACHILES, Tulum, June 8.
The wind blew strongly this Saturday and a heavy haze hung in the air so we decided to head for Tulum to celebrate my birthday. We hopped a colectivo that made a retorno turn when it saw us waiting across 307and enjoyed being the only passengers in the cool van. The fare was still $3 US per person. The van made a right turn into Chemuyil, picked up three more passengers and proceeded to Tulum Centro where El Loco withdrew pesos from Scotiabank. “Let’s walk to Aguachiles,” I suggested and off we went. Big mistake! Aguachiles is at the southernmost tip of Tulum pueblo and the walk became my “death march” in this heat and humidity. I am a northern European and humidity is a killer. I was sure I would faint and barely made it to the restaurant. An order of cold water and ice cubes which I stuffed into my bra and rubbed around my neck and wrists revived me. For good measure I put two cubes on my head and enjoyed the coolness as they slowly melted. Next time I’ll take the colectivo directly to the restaurant’s door.

Doug SR and others had recommended the mixed ceviche in their posts and we asked for it. In addition we ordered three Mango Diablo drinks as well as a Leche de Jaguar from the drinks menu. The ceviche was large enough for two, perfectly seasoned with lime and marinated onions and lived up to its advance billing. Thanks all! The 16 oz. mango drinks were refreshing, not too sweet and had a nice kick of tequila.
The Leche de Jaguar was a different thing entirely: It was white, the consistency of vichyssoise, topped with finely-minced fines herbes with a strong lime and ceviche marinade to its salty taste. A squirt of mezcal provided clout. It was served in a large shot glass with a short wide straw and a spoon. “Our secret recipe,” boasted its description. Definitely an acquired taste but it began to grow on me: a fishy type of Bloody Mary and probably a hangover remedy.
I love ABR and hope that it can retain its rustic character in a world of too many fountained, marbled, jacuzzied resorts. Camp for adults is always necessary, especially for those of us living in large stone cities.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Akumal Beach Resort? Share your experiences!