We had wanted to try out Akumal Beach Resort for some time because we heard it was a 3 star hotel on a 5 star beach - and for the most part, we found this was an accurate description. The beach is just wonderful and the snorkeling to be done right off the beach is amazing! There is a reef just off the beach resort that has beautiful coral and a lovely array of fish. The further out you swim (within reason) the better. But if you swim north of the resort (not far) there are turtles - some big sea grass grazers on the bottom and smaller ones that will swim with you. Unlike Half Moon Bay, which we also stayed at for 5 days and is just up the shore from Akumal, you can also go into the water just for a dip and a float, without snorkeling. I also loved strolling the beach into the little beach town of Akumal. Lolha restaurant and beach bar is worth a stop, as is Turtle Bakery and Cafe. I also love the gallery on the beach - some really beautiful work from artists all over Mexico. There are other little shops and cafes as well, including a grocery store.
The resort's big plus, besides location, is that everything is a stone's throw from the beach because it is so small. The restaurant has some of the best views of any resort I have been at, large or small. The buffet food is good - nothing spectacular - but lots of fresh, tasty choices. The fresh grill selections were always good. But do not bother with the a la cartes. The ice-cream at the beach bar (which thankfully I did not discover until near the end of our stay) is really good - love the lime one! The drinks were okay (cappacino at the bar is very good) but the wine was horrible! This was my one major complaint because while I am not a big drinker, I do love a glass of wine with dinner (and maybe a couple more in the evening) and I found it wasn't drinkable. I am not a wine snob by any means but lean towards a dry red - no need for a good one to be really expensive but this wine was absolutely horrible! Some days sweet like kool-aid and other days watered down. If I came again I would purchase a couple of $12 wines at the grocery store and ask if I could drink that with my dinner instead! Also, while the rooms were modest, they were clean - which is just fine, except the linens on the bed were worn and thin. Just a few small upgrades - some new linens and a decent wine and this would be my idea of heaven! The entire area, from Half Moon Bay, Akumal and Akumal South is wonderful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the ancient language of the Mayas, long before Cancun, there was a magic place called Akumal "Place of Turtles"Between Playa del Carmen and Tulum, Akumal Beach Resort offers one of the best beaches anywhere, with over a mile of white sandy powder beach, world-class snorkeling with sea turtles and top diving with a great variety of life that thrives within the live coral reef just steps from our guest room.The relaxed atmosphere in Akumal captivates the spirit of a laid back Mayan Riviera beachside town. Akumal Beach Resort offers a truly unique experience for guests seeking the best possible beach vacation. All guest rooms are located in buildings within steps of the ocean and feature breathtaking views of Akumal Bay. With the convenience of an All-Inclusive, we provide our guests with a sophisticated simplicity and friendly service in the intimate atmosphere of a small resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Akumal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Akumal Beach Hotel Akumal
- Beach Resort Akumal
- Akumal Beach Resort Mexico
- Akumal Beach Resort Riviera Maya, Mexico