“If you are there for the ocean, you're coming to the right place!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Akumal Beach Resort

You added Akumal Beach Resort to your Saves list
Akumal Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km. 104 Carretera Federal Cancun-Chetumal, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Saskatchewan
“If you are there for the ocean, you're coming to the right place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We had wanted to try out Akumal Beach Resort for some time because we heard it was a 3 star hotel on a 5 star beach - and for the most part, we found this was an accurate description. The beach is just wonderful and the snorkeling to be done right off the beach is amazing! There is a reef just off the beach resort that has beautiful coral and a lovely array of fish. The further out you swim (within reason) the better. But if you swim north of the resort (not far) there are turtles - some big sea grass grazers on the bottom and smaller ones that will swim with you. Unlike Half Moon Bay, which we also stayed at for 5 days and is just up the shore from Akumal, you can also go into the water just for a dip and a float, without snorkeling. I also loved strolling the beach into the little beach town of Akumal. Lolha restaurant and beach bar is worth a stop, as is Turtle Bakery and Cafe. I also love the gallery on the beach - some really beautiful work from artists all over Mexico. There are other little shops and cafes as well, including a grocery store.
The resort's big plus, besides location, is that everything is a stone's throw from the beach because it is so small. The restaurant has some of the best views of any resort I have been at, large or small. The buffet food is good - nothing spectacular - but lots of fresh, tasty choices. The fresh grill selections were always good. But do not bother with the a la cartes. The ice-cream at the beach bar (which thankfully I did not discover until near the end of our stay) is really good - love the lime one! The drinks were okay (cappacino at the bar is very good) but the wine was horrible! This was my one major complaint because while I am not a big drinker, I do love a glass of wine with dinner (and maybe a couple more in the evening) and I found it wasn't drinkable. I am not a wine snob by any means but lean towards a dry red - no need for a good one to be really expensive but this wine was absolutely horrible! Some days sweet like kool-aid and other days watered down. If I came again I would purchase a couple of $12 wines at the grocery store and ask if I could drink that with my dinner instead! Also, while the rooms were modest, they were clean - which is just fine, except the linens on the bed were worn and thin. Just a few small upgrades - some new linens and a decent wine and this would be my idea of heaven! The entire area, from Half Moon Bay, Akumal and Akumal South is wonderful.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good and close to everything but if possible get a second or third floor room for...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
Burnaby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This Review is long overdue and stayed here in January 2012, The secret to this hotel is the BEACH and the SEA LIFE in Akumal Bay. Just jump in and snorkle/swim for about 25 ft out and you can see not one but many sea turtles, stingrays, and if your lucky you can even see an eagle ray (we did). This is the beach where the tours bring eveyone to view the turtles and fish. This is our second time to the area of Akumal. First time was Half Moon Bay which is about an hour's walk from here at Akumal Bay .
This hotel is clean,quiet and not alot of entertainment happens here. If you like that go to Playa Del Carmen.
this is a Great value hotel and you won't be disapointed. Nice happy staff. Food is buffet style and the burgars at the snack bar are great. We cetaintly would go back. We found this to be a central point to Tulum, Coba, Chichen Itza Ek Balam, the cenotes Xel-Ha,YalKu Lagoon.
If you want to try something adventurous like I did go to Rio Secreto for a wonderful natural caving experience. Can't say enough about that. Wow. Lots to do in this area and I and my husband enjoyed ourselves and felt very happy and safe with the community.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the building away from the hotel which was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

This was our 4th time at Akumal Beach Resort and we had another excellent time. There are changes coming to ABR as they sold some of their property on the north side of the resort area and we were worried it would affect our experience. It did not. The Moonrise Bar in that part of the resort is no longer there but there are two other bars on the resort and the wait time was just a few minutes longer. The beach and bay is one of the best in the Rivera Maya area and a person can snorkel right off the beach which is rare. We were always able to find a beach chair to use though getting a palapya was difficult at times. You had to reserve it with your towel by 7 to 8am. The food continues to improve and we enjoyed the a la carte twice while there. You have to make a reservation for the a la carte at 10am. The rooms are basic but they all face the beach and everyone has an oceanview. We'd sleep with the patio door opened a bit so that we could listen to the waves. The weather during February is always windy and one day it was more than windy and we had to sit by the pool otherwise we got sandblasted sitting on the beach. Weatherwise, we liked our November trip better.

Room Tip: All the buildings are oceanview. Bldg 7 is further away from the main buffet/bar area and is quiet...
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed at Akumal Beach Resort from 2/4-14. What a wonderful resort! When we arrived in the mid afternoon, the reception desk was so quick to get us checked in so that we could get out and enjoy the beach and resort. NO WAITING IN LINE! What a pleasant surprise for us. I had e-mailed ABR prior to arrival to request building 7 top floor and we got exactly what we requested! The staff were incredible the entire time we were there. The beach guys, the waiters, the bartenders, front desk, and manager are to be commended for their attention to detail and making sure all the guests were taken care of and happy! We loved Carlos at the pool bar. His ability to take care of the bar, bus tables, run for ice, take care of empty tap beer, and make the greatest blended drinks was amazing, all while smiling the whole time!

I have read reviews on the hard beds. We found the bed to be very comfortable, and in fact, I usually have neck problems after sleeping on different beds/pillows, and the whole time I was at ABR, my neck never felt stiff and sore in the morning. The cleaning staff does a great job, I noticed after they finished our room that any trace of sand on the floor was gone.

The beach is amazing. There is so much space for everyone to lounge under palapas and in the sun that you never felt crowded, even when the resort had more guests. The best thing about this resort is the square footage of beach and grounds for just over 200 rooms. We have been to numerous resorts and always looked for a quiet place to lay in the sun, and we definitely had that here.

The food at the buffet was very flavorful. Sure, not a gigantic variety but what was served was delicious and fresh. Every night there was a different featured meat that the chef served and of course the morning omelets were one of my favorites. I have been to many other all inclusives and the omelet bar was the fastest service I have ever seen. Also, the kitchen staff always was switching out pans if any food selection was running low. I never saw a near-empty serving dish the entire time I was there for 10 days.

The snorkeling was amazing. My husband and I have snorkeled at the Oasis just south of this resort, and we couldn't believe how many fish and turtles were in Akumal Bay. We bring our own gear and we couldn't resist snorkeling every day sometimes twice a day. The coral is in very good condition and very colorful compared to other areas we have been.

All in all, Akumal Beach Resort surpassed our expectations, and we will return again next year!

Room Tip: Building 6 or 7 top floor for a great view of the ocean, just steps away. Building 7 is extremely q...
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had a fabulous time at Akumal Beach Resort. The staff was super friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and comfortable, the food was great, other vacationers were friendly and many of them were many times repeat customers. The scenery and the beach was absolutely gorgeous and well kept and there were tons of things to keep us entertained. This was our 25th Anniversary trip and the first to warm climate and we will be back!! Thanks

Benicia, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I had hoped that ABR would continue to improve, but I am sorry to say that it seems to be in transition. The buildings to the north ( swingbar, former ala carte dining room, a couple of the older standard room wings) are empty and roped off, as they have been sold. Word is that a new Secrets resort will begin construction there within the month. While we were there last week, it was the entry point for a constant stream of snorkeling tours coming to Akumal Bay. The groups would gather at least every hour or so on some of the loungers starting about 9 am and continuing throughout the day. Some groups then continued on to the dining hall for lunch and drinks. As a result, it felt quite crowded on that end of the beach and in the water. We were able to avoid them for the most part while snorkeling, given the large territory to explore. I was happy to hear the guides giving explicit instructions about snorkeling near turtles and avoiding contact with the reef.
It was a windy week overall, but the turtles were numerous. On a calm day we were able to venture pretty far and saw a few GIANT parrotfish. There were also rays, angelfish, a barracuda, and many other colorful reef fish to be seen.
Once again, we were in building 6, third floor as requested. A foam pad made the bed more comfortable and there were more pillows than I remember from prior visits. The towels are thin and the bed linens are worn. The room was in good repair. One of the best features of this resort is the proximity of the rooms to the ocean-- we like to leave the patio door open to hear the waves and get the breeze throughout the night.
Breakfast was the most consistent meal, with plenty of choices and alternating bacon and sausage each day, both of which were delicious. Dinners didn't seem to be as varied or as interesting as last year, except for the Mexican night. The pozole is something I had particularly enjoyed on our last visit-- this year the manager went out of his way to print me a copy. The soup is amazing. Another standout is the guacamole, although it was missing from the snack bar a few days . We also reserved the Italian ala carte dinner one night, which was a nice change. Both choices-- the steak and the squid/fish were well-prepared and the side dishes were interesting. The staff were all very friendly and helpful.
While we enjoyed our week, we are not sure what the future holds for this resort. With the popularity of the area and the imminent construction, I have doubts that we will return. We have wonderful memories of Akumal, but have begun to research other destinations for our next snorkel vacation.

Room Tip: Building 6 is quiet yet not far. Higher floors have good views and secure balconies.
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My family just returned from ABR after a 1 week. My kids are 4yo and 16mo. The vacation was phenomenal and we will definitely plan on returning. We decided on this resort because it was small and simple. The staff was wonderful and responsive whether food servers, housekeeping or front desk. All our requests were met (and there were many) and were met promptly. The area felt completely safe and the hotel definitely takes steps to ensure guests' safety and comfort.

The rooms were exceptionally clean as were the overall grounds of the hotel, including the beach and pool. The pool area is divided into several smaller pools and one larger pool with depths varying. We loved this with the kids because they could go from one kid pool to the whirl pool area and still stand. It also helped divide the demographics at the pool, which worked out really well. The pool bar was great (Carlos makes great drinks).

The beach itself is unbelievable. We stayed in building 6 and had a direct ocean view. It was great being in that building because everything was conveniently located from there. I went for a daily run on the beach in the morning to the south and north of the resort; ABR hands down had the best maintained beaches of the villas (to the south) and the smaller hotels/rentals to the north. The sand was considerably softer and more fine than the other areas. The snorkeling was amazing; within minutes of swimming, I saw several sea turtles, as did my husband. I also saw rays, schools of tang, parrot fish, and many other types of fish. The reefs are within a 1 min swim from the beach and the area where the sea turtles are similarly close.

While I did not put my kids in the Kids Club (one was too young), the kids seemed happy and the parents had great things to say about it. My 4yo enjoyed watching the 6:30 movie in the dining hall a few times, giving us time to chase after our toddler.

The food was good to outstanding; my husband raved about a soup being served out of big clay pot & the freshly roasted meats; I loved the fish, the fresh tacos & tostadas, and the fruit. The few desserts we tried (coconut mousse & Paris "brest") were wonderful. The food service staff and management (Alejandro particularly) work extremely hard to please. The swimming area has a grill (burgers & hot dogs) and fries & chips with guacamole or pico de gallo.

We tipped our two main servers & housekeeping at the end of the week but we saw some tipping nightly. We tipped anyone who brought us something (crib, mattress toppers, luggage) when the service was provided.

There are only 2 complaints I have: 1 is the beds and 2 is the significantly watered down wine (and some drinks in general). As for the beds, they are not comfortable. The pillows were fine, but after 2 nights on the mattress, I asked for a mattress topper, which made a world of difference. With that said, we asked for a king-sized room in building 6 or 7, a crib and a roll away bed, all of which was accommodated before we arrived. The AC also had an issue the first 2 nights but I played with the vent and the room was considerably cooler after doing so. The first 2 nights also were in the high 80s and the rest of the week was in the mid-70s to low 80s, which made a significant difference in the temperature of the room, too. Overall, I just had to get used to the room as it is simple, but more than adequate in its furnishings & storage. It should be noted - the hotel safe does not fit an iPad or Kindle; it wasn't an issue as theft clearly was not a problem. To that end, on the resort, there are people hired to watch over the area.

Room Tip: Ask for building 6 or 7 if you have children. Building 6 is ideal because it is still very close to...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Akumal Beach Resort? Share your experiences!