My husband and I went to ABR at the beginning of January. My intentions were to spend the majority of our time snorkeling, however this did not happen as it was very windy and red flags were up every day on the beach :(. The resort itself is very lovely and very laid back. I initially envisioned that I would be able to rent a golf cart and take it into the town of Akumal, but this is not the case. By car, the only way you can access the resort is through the main highway. To walk to the town of Akumal you walk to the beach and take a left. There, it is about a 15 minute walk to Akumal. You can access the town by reaching the dive shop and taking a left (you will pass a small dive shop first, but it is the second larger shop). There will be a few flags that will lead the way to town. You can check out the locogringo website for more info about Akumal. Please be advised that if you are staying at ABR you will not be able to rent golf carts overnight as you are not allowed to go past the Arches that go to the shops in Akumal. Some helpful suggestions for staying at ABR are as follows:
Bring a thermo mug- the cups there are very tiny.
Exchange low denomination bills for tips.
Because the resort is so far from the airport if you book tours it is very frustrating sharing transportation. You may spend an additional 45 to 60 minute (one way) in the car just picking or dropping others off at their resort. You are better off getting a taxi and saving a couple hours of your day. And please note that it is NOT customary to tip Taxi drivers. Below are some prices for cab fare from the resort in Mexican Pesos
Tulum ruins 270, Dos Ojos 220 Xel-Ha 200, Aktun Chen 250, Villas Akumal 70, Yal-Ku 150 Xcaret 290
To check out current exchange rates I go to the coinmill website and print out the going rate.
Please make sure if you are using a credit card internationally , let your bank or credit card Company know otherwise they may freeze your card.
Request mattress pad ahead of time, as you have probably already read, beds are very hard.
They do have free use of internet that you can use to check email, however they block social media such as Facebook on their 2 computers they have in the lobby.
They do not have an atm at the resort, but you can find them in the stores around Akumal. However, it can be hit or miss if they work.
The office does have a money exchange there, but they do not have a lot of small denomination bills at the resort. Your best bet is to exchange at the airport , however your exchange rate is higher. My frustration was that the ATM spits out high denomination bills and some of the smaller towns or areas did not want to break them.
Some cool places near the resort are Yal-Ku lagoon, Dos Ojos, Tulum, The jungle place, Aktun Chen and Xel-Ha.
If you are looking for an all inclusive resort with beautiful beaches and not a lot of nightlife, just a relaxing vacation ABR is a great place!
- Also Known As:
- Akumal Beach Hotel Akumal
- Akumal Beach Hotel
- Beach Resort Akumal
- Akumal Beach Resort Mexico
- Akumal Beach Resort Riviera Maya, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the ancient language of the Mayas, long before Cancun, there was a magic place called Akumal "Place of Turtles"Between Playa del Carmen and Tulum, Akumal Beach Resort offers one of the best beaches anywhere, with over a mile of white sandy powder beach, world-class snorkeling with sea turtles and top diving with a great variety of life that thrives within the live coral reef just steps from our guest room.The relaxed atmosphere in Akumal captivates the spirit of a laid back Mayan Riviera beachside town. Akumal Beach Resort offers a truly unique experience for guests seeking the best possible beach vacation. All guest rooms are located in buildings within steps of the ocean and feature breathtaking views of Akumal Bay. With the convenience of an All-Inclusive, we provide our guests with a sophisticated simplicity and friendly service in the intimate atmosphere of a small resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Otel, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Akumal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.