I've stayed at this resort many times and can't say enough about the incredible beach, snorkeling opportunities and amazing views from the rooms, which run along the beach. There are many changes happening at ABR but I'll leave that subject alone for this review. This trip was a bit of a risk because my husband is a C5-6 incomplete quad in a manual wheelchair. I knew that we could manage most any situation, including ABR but I want to give some info for anyone wondering if this will be doable for them.
We breezed through the airport and immigration. Tip the guy well for speeding you through. Those without wheelchairs wait in very long lines! We've always found that they quickly scoop up our luggage and push the wheelchair to the front of all lines.
We booked Amstar for transfers from the airport to resort, paid $150 for a wheelchair van with ramp. We also rented a shower transfer chair from Accessible Cancun. I wanted to use Cancun Accessible for transfers but it would have been $80 more than Amstar. I should have used them and paid the extra money!! Cancun Accessible was at the airport waiting for our arrival and turned over the shower chair to us in exchange for a $50 refundable deposit. Amstar was waiting for us but did not bring a van with ramp. After about 30 minutes of phone calls and confusion they told us their wheelchair van had broken down that day and wouldn't be available. They took seats out of the regular van and had about six guys lift my husband, wheelchair and all, into the van. There was no way to lock down the wheelchair so he had to wrap his arms around the headrest of a front seat. NOT SAFE! We are still working to get a refund. Cancun Accessible provided our transfer back to the airport, very professional and helpful.
ABR refused to guarantee a wheelchair accessible room despite booking 6 months in advance. Even 2 days before arrival they continued to say there was no guarantee we'd get the accessible room. STRESSFUL if you are wheelchair dependent! There is no reason to not reserve the accessible room so you know you'll be in a safe situation on arrival.
The accessible room 610 was fine. Beds were at a good level, on a box spring and able to attach pull up ropes or other needed adaptive equipment. The shower was accessible, although the small curved shower bench wouldn't be safe for our needs. As mentioned previously, we rented a transfer chair.
Ramps are often steep and walkways are rough and crooked at ABR. We managed it in a manual wheelchair with assistance and an electric scooter or chair would be even easier. The wheelchair accessible walkways in front of the accessible rooms is not lite up at night. We had brought a flashlight and needed it to negotiate the uneven and narrow walkway.
My husband loved being able to be so close to the beach for meals, at the bar and in our room. It was much better beach access than larger resorts that are built away from the beach instead of along the beach.
Shows were mostly held in the bar area of ABR but be aware that the theater is not wheelchair accessible. There are many steps to get into that building.
Bathrooms in the lobby are accessible but the ones by the bar are not.
If you're looking for an amazing beach and a low key resort then by all means consider ABR. It is workable. If you're looking for first class, amazing food and totally accessible grounds then look else where.
I'll post pictures of accessibility and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the ancient language of the Mayas, long before Cancun, there was a magic place called Akumal "Place of Turtles"Between Playa del Carmen and Tulum, Akumal Beach Resort offers one of the best beaches anywhere, with over a mile of white sandy powder beach, world-class snorkeling with sea turtles and top diving with a great variety of life that thrives within the live coral reef just steps from our guest room.The relaxed atmosphere in Akumal captivates the spirit of a laid back Mayan Riviera beachside town. Akumal Beach Resort offers a truly unique experience for guests seeking the best possible beach vacation. All guest rooms are located in buildings within steps of the ocean and feature breathtaking views of Akumal Bay. With the convenience of an All-Inclusive, we provide our guests with a sophisticated simplicity and friendly service in the intimate atmosphere of a small resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Otel, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Akumal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Akumal Beach Hotel Akumal
- Beach Resort Akumal
- Akumal Beach Resort Mexico
- Akumal Beach Resort Riviera Maya, Mexico