“Wheelchair Accessibility of Akumal Beach Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Akumal Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Akumal Beach Resort to your Saves list
Akumal Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km. 104 Carretera Federal Cancun-Chetumal, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
“Wheelchair Accessibility of Akumal Beach Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I've stayed at this resort many times and can't say enough about the incredible beach, snorkeling opportunities and amazing views from the rooms, which run along the beach. There are many changes happening at ABR but I'll leave that subject alone for this review. This trip was a bit of a risk because my husband is a C5-6 incomplete quad in a manual wheelchair. I knew that we could manage most any situation, including ABR but I want to give some info for anyone wondering if this will be doable for them.
We breezed through the airport and immigration. Tip the guy well for speeding you through. Those without wheelchairs wait in very long lines! We've always found that they quickly scoop up our luggage and push the wheelchair to the front of all lines.
We booked Amstar for transfers from the airport to resort, paid $150 for a wheelchair van with ramp. We also rented a shower transfer chair from Accessible Cancun. I wanted to use Cancun Accessible for transfers but it would have been $80 more than Amstar. I should have used them and paid the extra money!! Cancun Accessible was at the airport waiting for our arrival and turned over the shower chair to us in exchange for a $50 refundable deposit. Amstar was waiting for us but did not bring a van with ramp. After about 30 minutes of phone calls and confusion they told us their wheelchair van had broken down that day and wouldn't be available. They took seats out of the regular van and had about six guys lift my husband, wheelchair and all, into the van. There was no way to lock down the wheelchair so he had to wrap his arms around the headrest of a front seat. NOT SAFE! We are still working to get a refund. Cancun Accessible provided our transfer back to the airport, very professional and helpful.
ABR refused to guarantee a wheelchair accessible room despite booking 6 months in advance. Even 2 days before arrival they continued to say there was no guarantee we'd get the accessible room. STRESSFUL if you are wheelchair dependent! There is no reason to not reserve the accessible room so you know you'll be in a safe situation on arrival.
The accessible room 610 was fine. Beds were at a good level, on a box spring and able to attach pull up ropes or other needed adaptive equipment. The shower was accessible, although the small curved shower bench wouldn't be safe for our needs. As mentioned previously, we rented a transfer chair.
Ramps are often steep and walkways are rough and crooked at ABR. We managed it in a manual wheelchair with assistance and an electric scooter or chair would be even easier. The wheelchair accessible walkways in front of the accessible rooms is not lite up at night. We had brought a flashlight and needed it to negotiate the uneven and narrow walkway.
My husband loved being able to be so close to the beach for meals, at the bar and in our room. It was much better beach access than larger resorts that are built away from the beach instead of along the beach.
Shows were mostly held in the bar area of ABR but be aware that the theater is not wheelchair accessible. There are many steps to get into that building.
Bathrooms in the lobby are accessible but the ones by the bar are not.
If you're looking for an amazing beach and a low key resort then by all means consider ABR. It is workable. If you're looking for first class, amazing food and totally accessible grounds then look else where.
I'll post pictures of accessibility and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Room Tip: 609 and 610 are accessible rooms and have a nice view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We just returned from another week at Akumal Beach Resort---something we look forward to all year long. It was a wonderful vacation, as usual. The same wonderful staff, great food, and slightly funky buildings (little things always seem to be broken in the rooms--this time we had to close the drain plug by reaching underneath the sink and moving the lever by hand). But who cares! The view from our balcony was wonderful and the snorkeling was great--saw turtles and rays and lots of fish (and a "donkey dung sea cucumber"--who knew!). We're already looking forward to returning next year. It feels like home to us now.

Room Tip: We stay on the 3rd floor of building #7--it's quiet and offers a fantastic balcony view. There...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

I have come to this resort in the past and it has changed so much this year. They sold a bunch of the land so the moon bar is closed and the al carte restaurants are gone with one now that is attached to the buffet. It also seems that to make more money now they are selling day trips to cruises that take over the Beach chairs and snorkeling during the day. It will only be so long until the reef is ruined and this place closes. No where near as good as it used to be. Won't be coming back again, that's for sure.

• Stayed December 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

This review is a little late - we stayed at the ABR the last week of May 2012. However, we had such a wonderful stay here, I felt I have been remiss in not writing a review. We stayed in the building just south of the lobby. If you like quiet on the beach, this is the area for you. The beach is all rock in front of this part of the hotel, so when we wanted to swim or snorkel, we would walk down to the area in front of the pool. There were large palapas in front that could provide shade for 4 beach chairs. Our room was on the third floor and it overlooked the ocean as I think most rooms do. Our room was in good repair - I have no complaints. It was clean, tiled, and had spacious closets, flat screen TV and a balcony with a view that you would pay 2-3 times more for at any other resort in the Riviera Maya. The food in the buffet was very much to our liking. It was prepared simply and it was always fresh tasting. Several times they had different carved roasts that were delicious. They know how to cook vegetables here - they were always crisp tender, never mushy, and the salads were also amazing. We never went hungry. We snorkeled twice a day, everyday and could not get enough. We saw all sorts of sea life. The staff was friendly and helpful. There is wonderful shopping and restaurants just a short walk down the beach in Akumal. The shops have really good art - not the tourist stuff that you see in Playa. Turtles were coming up to the beach at night and laying eggs. The staff was very vigilant in protecting these eggs, sometimes moving them to a safer area.It was very interesting and educational. All of this for bargain prices. I would rate this all-inclusive resort the Riviera Maya's Best Buy.

Room Tip: The buildings south of the lobby are quieter, the beach is quiet there - great for reading and relax...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
bemidji minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My sister and I stayed at ABR December 1-8, 2012. This trip was geared toward snorkeling and relaxing and the ABR was perfect for that. We had requested two beds ahead of time but at check-in they had us in a room with one king. They switched us and we had to wait briefly for the room to be ready. We had a funny little incident at check-in where we both got bit by many tiny little ants. Itchy bites lasted about an hour, not a big deal and the next day they had some kind of electronic bug thing set up near the front desk. We jokingly refer to it as the fire ant welcome and remember it fondly. :) No other bug issues the rest of the vacation. We were in room 633 which met all of our needs with minor glitches. The shower door would not stay shut so we wedged the bath mat under the door to keep it closed. Our patio door would not lock so we got a stick as a previous poster had recommended. Our air conditioner dripped occasionally but it didn't turn into an issue. Loved the location of our room. Two minutes to anywhere we wanted to be. Roomy balcony and beautiful view. Quiet as could be although sometimes we heard the upstairs guests moving furniture (?) Not sure exactly what they could be moving as all we had was one chair that was movable, but they must have moved that chair to a lot of different spots. :)
We snorkeled once or twice a day and were never disappointed. Usually a two hour morning snorkel then an hour and a half afternoon snorkel. Loved the ability to get in whenever we wanted to. We brought life jackets from home and enjoyed taking them off and using them as chairs to float out near the reef and enjoy the absolute beauty of it all. I bought a laminated fish sheet at the dive shop next to Lol-ha so we could learn to identify fish and we had a great time checking what we had seen each day. We had no problem getting a palapa right in front of our room most days so it was one minute to go back up to the room for anything we needed there.
And now for the food. This was only my second all-inclusive in 19 trips to Mexico, so I am not an expert on food. We ate at the buffet every meal (except two...La Buena Vida in Half Moon Bay and Carboncito's in Playa) and were pleased with pretty much everything. I gained four pounds on vacation. We had coffee and two (or three.....) warm pastries most mornings in the bar at 6 am and shot the breeze with other guests. Great leisurely way to start the day. Then delicious breakfast of oatmeal with yogurt and granola followed by an omelet or other egg dish and some bacon or sausage and maybe a little hashbowns. There were usually three juice options and OJ was always good. Lunch for me was usually a nice salad with cheese and olives and tomatoes followed by a walk through the steam lines choosing a little bit of a lot of things. Almost everything was seasoned so that I didn't have to add any salt or anything. Very flavorful food. Many vegetable options and I tried anything I had never had before. I got into the awful habit of having three or four small desserts every meal. We just don't ever have dessert out at home so it was fun for me. Dinner was much the same and it's a wonder I didn't gain 10 pounds. That's why I shouldn't stay at all-inclusives, I certainly don't NEED to eat all that I did.
For me the only thing lacking was perhaps the drinks. I am not much of a drinker, but do look forward to having a nice fru-fru drink once in awhile. I tried a pina colada and a strawberry daquiri. Neither of them was anything I enjoyed drinking (didn't even finish them) so I stuck to water after that. No big deal. I never heard anyone complain about the drinks, so it may just be me. I did have some nice drinks off site though.
I would go back to ABR in a heart beat. I looked into it for my family vacation at the end of February into early March and they are all booked up. Looked into January for just my dad and me to go and that is booked as well. I might have to wait until April but I don't usually like to go that late. I WILL get back there. It is a lovely place.

Room Tip: I would stay in any room in building 6 or 7 on the second or third floor. Building 5 by the pool lo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

30 November – 7 December 2012-12-17
We received great communications with the ABR regarding room requests and other questions.
Our room assignment was 540, 3rd floor in building 5 behind the pool. We had a lovely view from our balcony, but couldn’t sit out there if raining as the palapa was not covered in the center. The room is a previous reviews state – sparse but clean. Shower, no tub. Air conditioning worked well, but this is not the hot time of year. TV is a lovely flat screen with a slot for SD cards so you can check out your photos from the day. 1 bottle of water to be used for the week. We always had bath towels but not always hand towels. I have long hair and appreciate a towel for my hair and one for my body. We got an extra one when we asked. Our screen for the patio was awful the first 3 days. It did not roll on a track and left large gaps, it was also all ripped up. On the fourth day it was fixed without us requesting it. Nice.
The biggest complaint about our room is the appearance of two cockroaches in my suitcase (the first I have had after at least 20 tropical vacations). The reason the suitcase was open is because the ABR does not have any dressers. Luckily the first one was seen and killed and the second one was dead when we unpacked at our next hotel. This pair were about 1 ½ inches long. Yuck.
The lay out of the resort is lovely. Such a beautiful place. This resort is all about the location. Gorgeous! An easy trip over the sand and you are snorkeling with all sorts of fish and those amazing turtles. The Moonrise bar has been shut down as the resort is doing some renovating which also includes buildings 1 and 2. They were building fences around the work site when we were there.
The closure of Moonrise leaves only one bar and the snack bar. The self serve beer and lemonade is a nice touch. Food at the snack bar was fine and the service good.
In the evening there were often fairly long lines to get a drink – seemed to be two bartenders and only the one bar. A drink menu would have been helpful, I really don’t know that many and variety would have been nice. The cappuccinos in the morning were very good!
There are no showers on the south side of the buffet (near buildings 6 and 7) and we found the lack of showers caused us to sit on the north side for convenience.
We also felt that there were not enough public washrooms – there are a set behind the snack bar and a set behind the lobby bar. On the last day we discovered another set near the lobby – maybe if we found them sooner we wouldn’t have felt a lack of facilities.
The pool was immaculate with a young man (or two) working on it daily.
Lights around the resort are very low and where there are lights they are low wattage. I am sure the stated reason is for the turtles, but it was difficult to find a table to play cards (where we could see the cards). It was also quite dark in the room for reading a book at night.
Internet for checking emails was very good – we didn’t purchase internet so we used the computers the resort provided. Other travelers were very good at not overstaying their time on the computers.
Staff was generally excellent. The a la carte staff were very good, as were the staff in the buffet, snack bar and the bar. I found the front desk staff chilly, but professional.
Our big complaint centers around the buffet. To be clear, we were never hungry and always found something to eat. It was clean and well stocked. But the offerings were sparse. I put the food on par with a 2 ½ star hotel I stayed at on the Bay of Pigs in Cuba in 1997. If you have traveled to the Royal Decameron near Puerto Vallarta, the RDC beats the food here hands down.
There would often be 2 meats for dinner – something fresh grilled on a table near the steam table and something roasted. There were lots of veggies – though some were not overly appetizing (example pureed turnip and spinach or steamed celery) though they also offered beans, carrots and other items. Also available was pizza and pasta with fresh cheese. There were chips and wonderful guacamole, a salad table with some prepared salads and some items to make your own salad and 3 different dressings. There was a desert table with 4 or 5 deserts and fresh fruit. There were a good selection of tasty deserts. There was always a soup, and I enjoyed several bowls.
We found we forgot the first 3 days to get to the snack bar to make our a la carte reservations between 10:00 and noon. Our dissatisfaction with the buffet aided our memory and our last 3 nights we dined in the a la carte. Service was outstanding and the food was ok. There were two choices (one night I didn’t feel much like pork or fish ) with a fixed appetizer, soup and desert. Sometimes the food was cold – cold calamari and fried fish doesn’t cut it. We did appreciate sitting down and enjoyed the humour of our server.
While in Akumal we also ate out at Turtle Bay Bakery and Tequilaville – both were very good.
I am not sure that we would stay here again. Given the right circumstances, we might but I think if we stayed for a shorter length of time (3 or 4 nights) we might appreciate it more. I would recommend the place to people who love to snorkel .

Room Tip: We enjoyed building 5 for it's quick access to both the pool and the beach. Great view. We had 3...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MA, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

This was our 2nd visit to ABR and we loved it as much as the first time. Love all the staff here who work so hard and actually remembered us from last year! The beach is so beautiful and snorkeling with the turtles never gets old!
We requested a mattress topper that helped with the hardness if the beds. We brought our own pillows this time as well as a clock radio. Rooms were always spotless, which is all we needed. Slept with the sliding glass door open to listen to the waves. Awesome!
Sad that part of the resort was sold and the Moonrise bar closed down while we were there. We were able to get our sign from the bar and brought it home. A lot of the signs were saved for what they are hoping will be a new Moonrise bar at some point!

Enjoyed eating out in the little town of Akumal. Such friendly people and Never a safety concern. Rent a golf cart in town for $20 and go down to Yal Ku to snorkel. Gorgeous!

We also brought a bag of supplies for the Akumal library. Please go there if you visit and make a donation! They are funded only by donations and when you see the great things they do with local children you will want to give!

I really don't have anything negative to say. If you want 5 star and room service don't come here. If you want a clean small resort that makes you feel like family, you will love it!!! Beach can't be beat! You will make some great friend here too!

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Akumal Beach Resort? Share your experiences!