The hotel is broken into two sections really. The new section which looks like a small resort by itself and the old section which has 3 or 4 hotel room buildings, an older lobby, swimming pool, restaurant etc. Because of the special rate we received we were put in the old section, which is adjoining the new section. Typical older seaside rooms in mexico, missing tiles, some things work, some not so much. We have been to Mexico numerous times and know what to expect from older hotel rooms when you are seaside. We only sleep in the room anyway, we are up early and outside, room is to shower and sleep in so it didn't bother us.
For an AI and at this price what is worth mentioning is the excellent quality of the food. There is only one ala carte restaurant, if you can call it that, which we didn't get motivated enough to try because the buffet was so good. We go to Mexcio to wear sandals and shorts, not to dress up in long pants and closed toe shoes.
The typical day would consist of beakfast, beach, bloody Mary, snorkel, cervesa, lunch, cervesa, snorkel, cervesa, dinner, bed. We would wonder down the beach each day, going to the North takes you to a tiny village center with a few small shops and restaurants, oh and the beach cam. Going South takes you away from the nice sandy beach and into sand and rock coves along the way. Best beach is right in front of the older section of the resort.
We met lots of regulars who come to this location once or twice per year. Some were called by name which tells you how big the place is.
If you are looking for night life, party scene, youngs singles, look elsewhere. If your looking for a very relaxing, sit by pool, sit on beach and BS vacation, this is your place.
Tip, if you get a chance go into the tiny village square and rent a golf cart and drive the back road north to the pay snorkel cove (can't remember it's name). We had a great time stopping at the different restaurants on one rainy day.
- Also Known As:
- Akumal Beach Hotel Akumal
- Akumal Beach Hotel
- Beach Resort Akumal
- Akumal Beach Resort Mexico
- Akumal Beach Resort Riviera Maya, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the ancient language of the Mayas, long before Cancun, there was a magic place called Akumal "Place of Turtles"Between Playa del Carmen and Tulum, Akumal Beach Resort offers one of the best beaches anywhere, with over a mile of white sandy powder beach, world-class snorkeling with sea turtles and top diving with a great variety of life that thrives within the live coral reef just steps from our guest room.The relaxed atmosphere in Akumal captivates the spirit of a laid back Mayan Riviera beachside town. Akumal Beach Resort offers a truly unique experience for guests seeking the best possible beach vacation. All guest rooms are located in buildings within steps of the ocean and feature breathtaking views of Akumal Bay. With the convenience of an All-Inclusive, we provide our guests with a sophisticated simplicity and friendly service in the intimate atmosphere of a small resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Tingo, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Otel, Cheap Tickets, Venere, Agoda and Fareportal so you can book your Akumal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.