“2012 Akumal Adult Spring Break loves Akumal Beach Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Akumal Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Akumal Beach Resort to your Saves list
Akumal Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km. 104 Carretera Federal Cancun-Chetumal, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Fort Worth
“2012 Akumal Adult Spring Break loves Akumal Beach Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Once again people from all over the US, Canada, and Italy decended on Akumal Beach Resort (ABR) to celebrate a decidedly non-college Spring Break. The staff is top notch. The food is very good. The location is WORLD CLASS! And every year we come back again and again. AKumal is not Cancun or Playa del Carmen. It is slower paced. It is what you make it. Fishing, relaxing, eating and drinking. Enjoying the local towns like Akumal and Chemuyil. These are the strengths of Akumal. NOT body shots and drunken teenagers. ABR is as close to home as I get when I'm on the Riviera Maya. Thank you ABR! (SAVE ME 301)

Room Tip: I prefer 401 or 301. I know these are standard rooms but nothing beats opening the sliding glass and...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
Sheboygan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

we visited the abr again in feb. of 2011 and the place was different than before but in a good way.
the new management was painting and making changes to make the place look very nice.
we knew we would meet with some obstacles due to construction but we really were not disturbed at all. we love the staff , especially wilbert at the bar outside the dinner hall , he always remembers you even after a year away and he remembers what you drink....in my case it was espresso. the staff is excellent and works hard to make you feel at home and welcomed.
we especially love the area , the beach and the dive shops and we have made a few freinds there so it gets to be more like home with every visit.
it is not posh but has just what you need and the atmosphere is great.
this year we went to belize and had a private condo on the beach which was weedy and it just wasnt like akumal beach, we spent the whole week missing our adopted home in akumal and will return next feb from the 12th to the 21st. to all the staff and our freinds at the akumal dive shop as well as gynna at gynn ak, we miss you and will be back soon

Room Tip: i personally prefer building 6 and 7 (third floor for the view) away from the pool and quiet but if...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Kenosha, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

If you are a beach person which we are this place is perfect.Everywere you go at the resort you can see the beach and every room is oceanview.I recommend building 6 or 7 they are the newest,quietest and have the best view,which i belive these are the superior rooms.
Rooms are very basic "no frils"no coffee pot or mini fridge but u can get one for 5 dollars a day
staff is amazing wilbert in the main bar is awsome he remembered our name within 5 min of being there and called us by name the whole time but we are also very good tippers lol
Food is fine very bland the italian resturant not very good but no major complaints,as far as the town of akumal safe,safe,safe the safest place in mexico you can go right now and one of the best beaches in riviera maya

Logan, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I had done a lot of research & read a lot of reviews before traveling to the cancun area. Me & my husband chose akumal because it was little, the snorkeling had good reviews, and we wanted some quiet relaxing time. I was very disappointed with our room, it was very run down. We had little bugs all over the bathroom area, they were in my toiletry bag, toothbrushes, and in my face soap. I went down to the desk the next morning & were told there were no rooms to move us to & said they would let the maid know. We did have fewer bugs, but they were still there. (I suggest spending the extra money to upgrade) we had just a standard room, which only had double size beds (not queens like we thought) After walking past some of the "newer" buildings they did look a bit nicer, I think our room was probably some of the original buildings. The bathroom area was kind of gross & scary. We were expecting the beds to be hard after reading the reviews, and yes...They are hard! My husband likes a little harder bed, and he even complained, the pillows were even hard! There is a little gap between the air conditioner & the door jamb for little critters to get in the room...Like lizards, we had a couple in our room here & there. The last night we had 3 of them in our room, but I never saw those kinds on the floor, only on the walls & ceilings. We knew we wouldn't be spending much time in the room, so we dealt with it. Our air conditioner was the best thing of the room, it always kept the temperature we set it on, sometimes too cold. The food was kind of bland, I'm usually not a picky eater, but the variety was not very good. We just made sure we ate a big breakfast every morning, so we could skip lunch...the breakfast was the best. The drinks were great! After reading the reviews of the drinks not being very strong, I was happy with the quality of drink. We would tip the bartender $5 right from the get go & they always took good care of us. I did see other people tipping $1 everytime they got a drink. They have very few covered huts at the beach, and people go down early in the morning & leave there stuff to reserve...even though there are signs posted about doing that. One day we didn't see anyone come & sit at the hut, but they had stuff there all day & I never saw the staff move it. The staff is awesome!!! I cannot say enough good things about them, they were all very friendly. Amelia at the front desk greeted us and she was awesome, she gave us the whole low down of the resort with maps, and marked all the bars, restaurants, extras for us. We booked a excursion with a girl there, I can't remember her name, but she was awesome also. We were interested in going to see some ruins & she steered us towards a particular one that had ziplines, rappelling, snorkeling, and lunch, it was the best day we had there. They had a very cool "black light" show the first night we were there, that we thourougly enjoyed. They had a "Miss Akumal" & "Mr Akumal" competition, we only got to see the "Mr Akumal" but it was very hillarious & entertaining. They also had a live band one night, with the entertainment staff getting everyone to dance (They do this in the main bar area, so if you want to watch get there early for a table) other wise you will be standing. They had some sort of nightly entertainment, always something going on. The snorkeling was awesome!! We saw lots of turtles & stingrays, and we didn't even have to go far from the beach. I would of liked to snorkel out farther, but when we went to rent lifejackets they didn't have anymore. We did get to see a turtle nest, but no turtles on the beach, I believe those turtles are supposed to hatch around the 9th of June. We took a golf cart into akumal, and there was some cool snorkeling at the end of the path, but not much else to see on the road. This was our first all-inclusive, we have done cruises...I think next time I will find something with more restaurants and more entertainment. We really had a fantastic time though!

Room Tip: Upgrade, Upgrade, Upgrade your room, I definataly would of.
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week at beautiful Akumal Beach Resort. In general the experience was exactly what we were looking for. The resort is the perfect size and location for a nice, quiet, serene vacation. Our first all inclusive experience and we are hooked (for those who have never done all inclusive one tip we learned is to bring your own insulated mug). We enjoyed the buffet and found it to be satisfying for our needs and a large enough variety of foods. When we wanted something more "American" we were able to grab a hamburger, hot dog and fries from the snack bar. We tried the a-la-carte restaurant one night and the food was good, although you might want to verify the menu ahead as only fish and veal were the option for the evening we went - it was a nice change from the buffet and the atmosphere was more personal and private. The snorkeling was enjoyable and combined with the size of the resort one of the main reasons we chose this resort. We were not disappointed in seeing sea turtles and sting rays, what a pleasure to be with these animals in their natural environment. We aren't large on entertainment which was probably good since it appeared to be a bit limited in the evenings, the one show we went to was more the style you'd find at your local high school put on by the employees. We did enjoy a wonderful couples massage by Salvador and Gladys and cannot say enough praises about this, had I been able to I would have gotten a massage from them every day. We found the majority of the staff to be pleasant and helpful. Juan and Joaquin were both good assistants in the reception area. However, we found the maturity and bend over backward quality to be lacking in the reception area in general. I believe this must be due in part to the fact that is mainly manned by young people. If you asked for something you might get a sufficient answer but nothing was done above what was necessary. That was our only true negative and disappointment - lacking customer service. It's the little things in and details that make a large difference. For someone never having been at the resort before we assumed that they would inform us of the hours for the restaurant, bars and other services that were available automatically and make sure we were aware of how things worked. Not until we asked the next day were we presented with the brochure listing times for restaurants, bars and etc. Knowing that the beds would be a bit hard from previous reviews we twice asked for mattress pads to no avail. The bed was sufficient for my husband but I found it quite uncomfortable as I do not enjoy feeling the mattress springs. Our room was generally well maintained and we had no problems with the a/c except it wasn't as powerful as we would have preferred. Only once did we have insufficient supplies from the maid when we wished our towels changed - no bath mat (almost slipped on the wet tile!) and no hand towels or extra supplies. But the next day the maid left the room spotless, plenty of towels and supplies and an added bonus of towel art on the bed! We were in building seven, away from the hustle of the pool and for us this was the perfect building. You will have to walk to the other end of the beach to swim and snorkel but our end of the beach was quieter and nice. The grounds and buildings were well maintained and everything was clean and spotless. Overall we enjoyed being at the resort, it was quiet during the week and only got busy and noisy with families and lots of children on the weekend. Akumal was a nice walk away and we enjoyed a deep sea fishing trip with the local Pirates. It was easy to catch the colectivo to Playa Del Carmen or neighboring stops when we needed to go somewhere. The trip was what we had been looking for - beautiful, peaceful and serene.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Before I begin this review let me say that Akumal Beach Resort is clean, the staff (for the most part) is friendly and does a great job. And this place has the most beautiful beach.
Saying all that I feel I must tell it as I saw this. This is our 5th or 6th visit, we have been so many times, and enjoyed it so much we have lost count. This is our first visit in a little over 2 years.
We began coming here when this was run by a company out of Italy. There was a very large entertainment staff and the food was delightful. The staff was always with a smile, the rooms a bit rugged, but everything else made up for that. It was a fun beautiful place to visit. We loved it.
On our last visit we knew that the actual owners had taken over the resort. There were less entertainment staff and some of our old "friends' were no longer there. There was a change in the food and how it was presented. Still it was a place to be. We loved it, even with the changes.
As I wrote we had not been back in over 2 years as our travels had taken us elsewhere. We knew there had been some changes. We saw that all the buildings had been painted white, but who really goes for the building color. Little did we know that the color of the buildings kind of was and indication of the new tone of the resort.
What has changed? The entertainment staff is down to 2. They try really hard, but they probably are working their off times from another resort. There was nothing much to do in the evening after dinner. We used to love those bingo games.
The food is so bland, we ate it for fuel, but that is about it. We went in to town a few times to eat.
I wrote that the staff is for the most part wonderful. Some have been a ABR for more than 20 years. For them I want to see improvements.
Another thing, we had requested rooms by the pool. When we got there we were told our room was past the dining hall. I asked to be moved. I was told to no rooms were available but come back the next morning a 9 and they would work with us. We get to our room and it feels as though the a/c is not working well. We spend a slightly warm night in our room. I go down to check on our room and they tell me no. I make sure to tell them that our a/c is not working. They told me they had someone coming that really knew how to fix it. But if it does not get fixed they will move us. (our neighbors had already been moved) so we spent another warm night in our room. I again went down (had to go at 9 AM) and asked. Told them the a/c still is not working and we will take a Garden Room just move us. It took a good part of the morning, beach time, for me to get us moved. We did not get a room with a King bed as we wanted, and the a/c worked so well we had to turn it off at times.Also the bedding was frayed and kind of sad looking. But all this took way too much time of my vacation time to resolve. Especially since we are a return customer.
If you are a first time traveler to this part of the world, want wonderful snorkeling, and a very safe friendly place to get to know the area, by all means stay here. Just be aware of the short comings.
I wrote on my last review of ABR that we may try a new place. If we do travel to Akumal or area there abouts we will stay elsewhere. It is truly sad to see what was such a friendly wonderful place fall from grace
I

Room Tip: Beds are hard, bring your own wash cloths, and the garden rooms close to the beach are great.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
AKUMALBEACHRES, "ABR FRIENDS" WEB RELATIONS at Akumal Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Hola monkeytrashman Scovill,
thank you for posting your personal feedback about your 5th trip to ABR.
Since your last visit 2 years ago we had many improvements in every areas of the resort; food for example, according to a lot of repeaters like yourself and from many reviews on TA is much better compared to the past, the entertainment team it is 4 people, enough to present the same shows and activities as they were 20, leaving bingos for rainy days.
We are truly sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us,
best regards

I'NA YANA KIN
(my home under the sun)
friends@akumalbeachresort.com
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Thank you for another really awesome stay and all the great accommodations you made for AASB. The AC in building 5 is awesome; I actually got cold in the room! Food just keeps getting better and better...love all the new menu items not served before. Everything was so green could actually tell the ground were really being cared for. Bartenders still awesome as always and loved having Timhy at the Moonrise. Can't wait to plan another trip and it will definitely be back at ABR!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Akumal Beach Resort? Share your experiences!