You added Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - Cancun Km 250, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Special Summer Sales
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Great time at this resort. Daniel our butler was so helpful and Augusto in the animation was also helpful. Can't wait to go again. I understand that Thomson have now changed things and you can no longer use the facilities at the Sian Khan

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,221)
  • Polish first
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

just returned from a week at the akumal. I was absolutely dreading the journey there, having never been long haul before. I needn't of worried. The Dreamliner was great, the drinks trolley came round regularly but you could also go the the "bar" at the back of the plane if you needed extra, food was fine, normal plane food. Cancun airport is a bit chaotic but just keep walking towards the exit until you get outside. The REAL Thomson rep is the guy wearing a Thomson shirt and TIE, not all the Mexicans shouting Thomson at you, they just want to grab your bag and then want money.
Hotel was super, greeted on arrival by a bellboy that takes your cases off the coach and to your room while you go into the lobby to check in. Receptionist gives you a blue cocktail while you fill in the check in forms and then another gentleman takes you to your room in a private golf buggy and explains everything in your room to you. We asked for a carton of milk to be bought to our room to use with the coffee machine and it arrived a couple of hours later, so there for the next morning.
There is a lot of talk about having a 'butler' but we never saw one. The guy that showed us to our room gave us a telephone number for one and told us our butler was busy with someone else, but that he would come and see us, but he never came. We never saw anything like a rooms butler all week.. There was also a constant loud buzzer noise in the room 24/7 which became like a white noise torture so didn't sleep great, couldn't find where it was coming from!!
The food buffet was perfectly adequate for us and didn't feel the need to go elsewhere although we did book the tequila bar Mexican restaurant one night, the staff were great but food only o.k
The 2 beach sections at the akumal were far better than the other hotel sections, great lagoons with warm calm water and lots of fish.
Cocktails were fab, recommend the strawberry daiquiri and Miami vice. They did have alcohol in but you never felt drunk, just nice and cooling.
Walked along the beach to see the dolphin show, think it's at the coba but not sure. It didn't seem far away.
Nipped into playa del Carmel but didn't like the hassle you got and the shop keepers keep offering you drugs (Charlie, weed,blow) even though we are a couple in our early 50's and don't look like ravers :), the big supermarket shops sold the best stuff.
All in all we really enjoyed our stay at the akumal and would recommend it to our friends

Room Tip: Doesn't really matter where you are, the buggy are everywhere all the time
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This is a very good hotel, the food is great but the staff are very much on the ball for helping you. I had only one issue but that will not stop me visiting again as it was resolved straight away. Our butler was Daniel and he was especially good at his job. He went the extra mile. Hope he's our butler next time we visit. We have been to Mexico many times, this resort was by far the best.

Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Just returned from this hotel after a 2 week holiday with adult members of the family. I had already done some significant pre work on what to expect and mainly our holiday met these expectations. More detail below but as an overview I can say that this hotel offers a good standard of bedrooms and restaurants, has a good location on the beach, and the people who work there are usually helpful and efficient however some things of a less that expected standards ie evening entertainment. More detail follows.
Dreamliner flights: Great improvements over older planes, more leg room and a better feel about the overall cabin, plenty of drinks offered and more than one drink per person available at each trolley run, food better than previously seen but only slightly, noticeably quieter on take off and in flight.
Cancun Airport and transfer: Arrival and passage through Cancun airport was "interesting" it was a little chaotic and very busy and our bags were searched having been given a red light on the random security check option, I was also checked on leaving the airport as a Police dog had smelled something in one of my pockets/ Transfer to the Hotel took about an hour and a half
The Hotel:
Check-in was fast and efficient and I recommend booking your a la cartes on arrival. Butler (Daniel) was introduced to us and took us to our rooms and checked all was OK before wishing us a great holiday and leaving his contact details.
Bedrooms were very clean and well equipped and remained so for the duration of our holiday (thanks to Paulina), bed was very comfortable and air con worked fine. No towel art and only one turndown received but hey that's not important is it. All 3 rooms were on the top floor as requested but we didn't get the sea view we asked for, block 59 was fine, easy to get to all amenities quickly.
Beach wasn't the best we've seen however the Akumal section is the best at this very large collection of hotels within the Grand Bahia group. It is sandy (man made?), but also rocky in parts and the sea is retained in a lagoon area that is no more than chest height and warm at all times, plenty of fish to see as well. No trouble getting beds although as an early riser I was also able to choose.
Pools were good, we stayed around the relaxing pool and this looks fab with its canal formation and many jacuzzi baths and bridges, again beds were in good supply at all times.
Food was a mixed bag, some of the a la carte restaurants do not offer a wide choice and some meals were disappointing (Dolce Vita), buffet was good but by the second week had become predictable. Food at breakfast and lunchtime was good with again choices of the buffet and some of the a la carte restaurants offering meals. Service generally was hit and miss with the a la cartes offering a good overall service but entrance to the buffet was often subject to queueing despite many free tables in the restaurants simply needing clearing - more people needed here to remedy this. A big thank you to Eronica though for her work especially at breakfast and lunchtime.
Butler service was wonderful with both Andres and Daniel always asking how things were and offering to help us with services to make our holiday run well, they are very friendly and would often stop and have a chat with us. A real bonus this and a plus point for the Hotel, these two guys were superb throughout our stay.
Evening entertainment was the prime low point, it is a little amateurish and also the Hotel need to change their policy of stopping all entertainment at 22:00 with no music afterwards and closing bars on site at 23:00 with the bar staff starting to collect cushions etc at 22:45 and lights going out at this time too. When you are on holiday and looking for a great time in the evening this is unacceptable, we make the effort of getting ready for the evening and to party only to be told that at 23:00 it's bed time! This is something that would prevent me from returning to this Hotel. the Hacienda didn't offer a real alternative, it's of a poor overall quality and is too far removed from the Akumal Hotel even allowing for the great transport across all 4 hotels to be viable.
Bars etc are good especially the White Sands pool bar where Miguel works so hard to please and serve his customers, drink service in the restaurants and lobby area are OK but I'd have preferred the lobby bar to have been more of a lively area in the evening however the stopping of all entertainment at 22:00 prevented this.
All in all we enjoyed the holiday but as there were 6 of us we could, to some degree, make our own entertainment when needed in the evening. If this Hotel wants people to really enjoy their holiday then they do need to make more of an effort in the evenings, I'd suggest music for dancing till c23:00 and bars open until midnight at least.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

I just got back from a solo week of relaxation! this place is pure heaven. I stahed in Akumal & had access to all the other hotels in the resort. All staff were lovely, very helpful & polite. free 24 hour room service was great. I highly recommend this place, although I was alone I felt very safe here & met some lovely people. also went swimming with turtles & seen 2 sting rays in Tulum beach. looking to go back here in October wish I'd have booked for 2 weeks. lots of wildlife & animals around & I love the fact the pools were right next to the beach!

Stayed May 2015, traveled solo
perthshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Firstly, we booked on line through Thomson's, which was easy, we booked extra leg room and we paid for a taxi, all on line, easy peasy. We travelled on the Dreamliner, which was great although there is a defined difference between "premium" and standard class within the cabin, and if you are not in premium, you certainly know about it and there are only 4 toilets for the standard class passengers, this can be a problem. remember it is a fairly long flight. Both landings at Cancun and back at Glasgow were less than impressive, in fact Cancun was positively scary with the plane going up and down like a yo-yo. I can accept the weather was not good on our arrival, but even Glasgow was pretty awful, and yes, I have flown a lot. The cabin crew on the return journey were disinterested at best and quite rude at times, calling a halt to the departure to let half sleeping premium passengers disembark first. Also daft remarks over the PA system about "stealing" blankets and duvets (premium class only), did not go down well with some of the folks around us, particularly when you are all very tired. The food and drinks on the plane were very good with the exception of the breakfast Panini, which was awful.

We had originally booked the Coba part of the hotel and had emailed several times to ask for an upgrade to the Akumal. We had been advised to request the upgrade on arrival. I had also asked (on the same emails) if a top floor apartment could be made available. We had no issue about additional costs, you have to expect this if you are asking?. On arrival at he Coba (Golden). The receptionist (Geraldine). could find an email requesting the top floor apartment, but strangely, no request for an upgrade to the Akumal. I didn't understand this, as it was all part of the same email?. You have to appreciate the size of this place and when you do send an email, and do get a response, as you will fairly rapidly, it is seldom from the same person, and a lot of double handling happens, this needs fixing. Geraldine stuck with it and I have to say, she was excellent, and although could not arrange an immediate upgrade, she sorted it for the next day. We had one night at the Coba, the food at the buffet was excellent and the room was good.

We arrived, second day, at the Akumal. Greeted by Romina. She is First Class and very good at her job, she understood our situation and tried her best to accommodate our room requests. In our opinion, Romina is the face of the Akumal, she is professional, polite, friendly, oozes class, and appears to put her customers first all the time.

Rooms are in blocks, three levels and 4 rooms per level. rooms can be converted to family rooms if required, with a fold down settee area. Jacuzzi baths/shower and a fridge/cooler, not really a fridge. The views are generally garden/jungle and are great. don't expect a sea view, they are few and far between, but in my view not really required, the alternatives are lovely. Beds are tremendous and you will find sleep quality hard to beat. We did hear voices from the vents in the bathroom which seemed to be from neighbours within the block, nothing serious, could even have been a TV in another room. Just turn your Jacuzzi on if you are having a squabble (only kidding)..!. Room was always immaculately cleaned. As part of the Don Pablo collection service, we were allocated a butler (Daniel). He was the ultimate professional, he made us very welcome, booked speciality restaurants for us, advised on places of interest, seen to any additional requirements and was a friendly face at reception any time we were there. Brilliant service and no doubt Daniel will be a great future asset to the Grand Bahia group. We had a problem with our Air Con in our room. I reported it and "William" was round in minutes and sorted it. He was first class and kept us updated on what he was doing to rectify the problem, (Well done), great service.

The Grounds are immaculate and an army of people work every day to keep it that way. Please remember to say "Ola" to everyone you see and if you feel appreciative of the hard work they put in, then don't be shy to offer a tip, particularly to the guys constantly fighting the seaweed. This must be a soul destroying job, but they carry on regardless to try to keep the swimming area clear. The seaweed certainly didn't pose a problem for us and we were snorkelling every day, it was brilliant.

Entertainment is repetitive, and if you really like "Elvis" or Michael Jackson", he is likely to be on at the Coba, Tullum or any of the resorts within the complex on any given day. The entertainment IS good and it offers an alternative to all tastes.

Talking of tastes, the food at the Buffets, we tried the Coba and the Akumal was excellent, could not be faulted for choice, although they do have an issue with the food being sometimes a bit cold (warm). We tried the Italian restaurant, it was awful, we tried the Mexican, it too was awful, our last throw of the dice was the Brazilian, it was excellent, great food, great service. Please note Akumal, although "Dress code" is noted as being required. This is not being policed, and several young lads, and some adults, at all of the above noted venues were in shorts and flip flops, some were clearly in swimming gear. This needs sorting, although not easy to turn folk away, it needs doing, otherwise standards will fall. The food in general was excellent. I have a very dodgy stomach, and I am please to say, for the first time ever, I have had no ill effects (Brilliant). The drink at the beach bars, etc, is not full strength Vodka, Bacardi, Gin, etc, it simply couldn't be or people would be falling about all over the place. However, it is pleasant, and the cocktails are good. The Beer is also pleasant, and you can drink it all day with no adverse effect. Beware the Tequila, its Not watered down and you can easily lose a day of your Hols. You can play a game if you wish, watching for the first day Tequila Tipplers, you may well not see them again for a couple of days. Easy done, and I speak from experience. The house wine is fine. If you are wine buff, then don't moan about it, there is a wine list available, but you will pay. (be warned).

The trolley cars (buses), are a laugh, no one seems to know what is going anywhere. I asked three separate drivers if they were going to the Coba and each one pointed to the other. Its brilliant. After all, you are on holiday. Best idea, get on one and you will eventually get to your destination, just don't always expect it to be the same way or take the same time. The drivers are a good laugh, I asked one where he was going, he said Acapulco, I said, that's good, that's where we want to go. From then on in, every time he seen me, he said "Acapulco?..Remember, you are on holiday..

All told, the Grand Bahia Principe complex is great, the Akumal was excellent. It is a great place for a holiday. There are lots of places and fun parks (Nature themed), to visit not far from the resort. We were at the resort for 2 weeks and did not leave the complex, it is so nice and people are so welcoming. We travelled far enough to get there, why would we want to go any further. I dozed at the beach most days, and I find it very hard to relax at the best of times. What are holidays for? There are some issues that they do need to address but I hope I have noted these in a positive and light-hearted way. After all, I do want to return here next year.
PS. More toilets are required near to Beach and Jacuzzi pool at Akumal. Thanks.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This place really was amazing!! We stayed at Akumal and had access to all the other amazing fine dining at the other locations and I think Akumal had the most entertainment and beautiful beach! It's a must!! I was just blown away at how much you can do there!! I definitely recommend adventuring out to snorkel at Akumal beach. I've never seen so many sea turtles in my life! I've been a lot of places but this was the best bar far!!

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!