“Customer Service? Not likely.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Akumal

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Akumal to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Akumal
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa AventurasCtra. Chetumal - Cancun, km. 250, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 21 hotels in Akumal
“Customer Service? Not likely.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Stayed frist 2 weeks in August, 2014.

Let's get the good done first. It's a lovely looking hotel which has lots of options for things to do. That's about as good as it got for us. The beach is ok. Nowhere near as good as the ones further North in Playacar, but ok.

Rooms - spacious but we found lots of non-working parts - aircon, door locks, phones etc. Mostly not fixed despite being reported. As for cleanliness, after getting out of the shower, I expect to be able to get to the balcony without getting dirty feet (and I mean black). One day the aircon leaked into the wardrobe. They're renovating some blocks around blocks 80/79/78. Expect drilling sawing and hammering.

Bars - the guys working the bars were generally great, but why have one person serving and 8 folks watching? One bar (outside Akumal lobby) actually took the cushions we were sat on @ 22:30 one night. Inside we were told (once) "we stop serving that drink at 23:00". They'd actually packed it away and couldn't be bothered.

Restaurants - ran out of stuff, including the "show" restaurants. Never bothered tonreplenish what they were out of from one of the other 17? Restaurants on site. This wasn't very specific stuff, itvwas things like main course beef, wine off the wine list. Oh and tea bags in the buffet. Lost countof how many times they didn't have English Breakfast tea and it was too much hassle to go and get some more.

Room service. Bad. Got it right one night, another they sent toothpaste instead of pasta, third night took 3 hours. Quicker to get your own. Then they told us we didn't have room service..

Anniversary dinner, cart never turned up and didn't do the room up.

There are much better hotels than this in Playa Del Carmen.

Oh and as one other guy mentioned, they have the timeshare sellers parkend on the way to the buffet restaurants. They're a pain.

Would rather poke my eyes out with cocktails sticks than stay here again, but they've probably run out.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

5,057 people have reviewed this hotel

1984
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (928)
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I chose this hotel based on all the positive reviews and it was absolutely the right decision.

We stay in Akumal, block 68 of the Golden Club section. What a perfect location, right near the beach, near the Akumal golden club reception with computer room, by the 24 hour snack bar which served fantastic lunches and the activities pool where we all had great fun every day sipping strawberry daquaries between snorkelling on the beach or playing games.

The food at this resort is very good, the a la carte restaurants do make a change, the best ones were Mikado, Gran Tortuga and Arlequin. The buffets also offer a wide selection of good quality food.

Transport is fun and frequent, on the golf cart trollies around to the other resorts. This resort offers excellent value for money, we did a few day trips but were always pleased to return to our resort. We would definitely return, however, I've heard Akumal is becoming an adult only resort, which will be a shame. Tulum section is a good alternative, also on the beach.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
RRPP A, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Guest:

What a fantastic comment you have given us!!! We are extremely happy to see we reached our main goal, which is the you total satisfaction due to the warm and personal attention of our staff, thank you so much for giving us the honor to host you.

We feel proud that you are satisfied with our food and our a la carte restaurants, products are carefully selected to please our clients' taste, and our hotel is committed to provide a great variety in services and gastronomic selections. Thank you so much for your kind words about our Golden Club Section and our staff.

We deeply hope to welcome you all back in our facilities, and enjoy our paradise in a relaxing atmosphere.

Kind regards from your home away from home!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel on the Mayan Riviera
Mississauga, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I have visited this resort about 6-8 times in my life and stayed at the Grand Bahia Pricipe Akumal resort every time I went. I went with my boyfriend at the time approx. 5 years ago... We returned back 3 years ago as this is the trip he proposed to me on. My husband brought me back again to celebrate our 1 year anniversary this July 2014.

When we first went to this resort together apprx. 5 years ago, we had an amazing trip together. The staff were happy and very friendly. Our only issue was that I got terribly ill upon returning home.

Our 2nd trip back which was approx. 3 years ago when my husband proposed to me was a fabulous vacation. It had the same staff as the last time we had gone... Everyone remembered us and it felt like a second home, Our issues we encountered that time was the time shares. They wasted one full day of our vacation and we almost made a huge mistake purchasing.

Fast forward to now July 2014. From the moment arriving to this resort we encountered problems. they are listed below to make things more visual:

1) my husband tried very hard to make this a sweet honeymoon. We made arrangements to have ocean front view. We were told we couldn't have it and that it Is not guaranteed even though we were apart of the Royal Golden club. Finally we got the room we wanted

2) the lady at reception in the golden decided to change our bracelets to a dark gold colour due to the fact we are returning customers numerous times. We asked what this bracelet does. She said we will get better service and Champaign in our room etc... we received no Champaign and worse service etc...

3) we were booking our 4 reserved dinners we are guaranteed as Royal Golden members with our concierge. He told us everything is booked and the times we could eat at was 10 and 10:30 pm! He said to avoid this problem and to be treated better and to ensure all your dinners for appropriate times, we should become time share members!!!!!!! so now they are getting staff throughout the whole resort to push for their customers to become time share owners in order to be treated better even though we are returning customers and already payed a fee to come and have an enjoyable vacation.

4) The food... I am a vegetarian... I do not eat fish or meat. I found it very difficult to even find food for myself to keep me energized and satisfied. The buffets were the same every morning every lunch and every dinner... the same... vegetarian dishes were garnished with bacon or mixed with meat... there was nothing! other than potatoes everyday, pizza and pasta which all tasted awful. Then I get excited to go to our 4 reserved dinners. The food in my opinion was worse! No taste... I should be considered a famous 5 star chef compared to these people.

5) children everywhere! I love children I work with them... But this resort has become so family oriented that it is not so enjoyable when your there with partner only... on our past vacations to this resort they had a lot of games that included adults... this time everything was based around the kids.. the adults could not take part...

6) children and adults getting hurt. everyday another child would slice their foot open in the pool on a tile that was not fixed.. the water would not be cleaned which leaves It very contaminated. After witnessing this I kept the rest of my vacation on the beach.

7) Getting extremely sick. Last 2 days of our vacation we spent in bed. I got very ill and even took dukorol prior to coming to this resort to ensure I would not get sick. by the mid week of the vacation I was so sick of their food I could not take one more bite and found myself eating bread. I did not drink the water but I am assuming I got sick from the un cleanliness of this resort and their daceries which has their ice In them.

8) cleaniness. We were grabbing a drink at the pool bar close to the 24 hour snack bar. The bar tender had said "I will be back, no more cups" 5 minutes go by and I see one of his other workers call him over... they walk to the bushes on the beach and grab cups!!!! they come back and rinse them under their contaminated water! and serve us! we all walked away and went to a different bar!

9) Customer service. There was only 2 of us waiting at the counter to be served and there were 5 workers behind the desk. They look up and continue doing what they are doing. My husband said "excuse me but we are all waiting here" and they say oh yes what can I do?

10) Time share.. We got a little surprise in our room saying we won free gifts for being returning customers... It ended up having to do with the time share. We spoke with them and said we already dealt with this on our last vacation and will not do it again. The guy insisted it was not a time share and that because we are returning guests we will be upgraded to black bracelets and get to stay at the times shares with the butler and be treated better without paying the time share fee. We paraphrased everything he said back to him to make sure we heard him correctly.. we did. and we thought hey! maybe they are telling the truth. We go to this "free breakfast" with the man who would be delivering his sales pitch to us (Although this is an all inclusive resort). My husband made it clear that if he is going to try to get us to purchase anything he will not be happy. this guy as well insisted it was not what we thought and not a time share. but behold the truth. we get back to the sales office and we demand to speak to the boss. He comes and says "nothing is free and this is what you think its a time share" the whole time the other guys kept saying he needs to look good in front of his boss and to let him finish his sales pitch and we said no! We requested to speak to the head management. She came and all she could offer was a massage for 20 minutes for a day wasted.

11) some sneaky business. The two days my husband and I stayed in bed sick we get a knock at the door around lunch time... As we go to open the door the man behind had already opened it. he was very shocked to see us and he had an umbrella in his hand and said "oh here is an umbrella!" and quickly ran out. Why would we need an umbrella? we already had one in the room? did you really come to give us an umbrella? or was that a cover up in case we were in our room?

12) the maids. The maids or the people who stock the bar had stolen the keys to the locks for our suitcase which means we could not lock our suitcases as we wouldn't have keys to open them. I went to purchase new locks at their convenience store. They only sold the pad locks. We put them on as we left the resort... We arrive back to the Toronto airport and get our luggage to find our locks are off!!!!! we open our bags and our things have been tossed around all zipped bags un zipped and dumped everywhere! everything was a disaster!!!!! no one at the airport could help us.. We arrive home to find things were actually stolen and the locks that someone had cut off where thrown and left in our suitcase as a little slap in the face.

There are a few more complaints such a feces being on every stair landing not being cleaned for the entire week to poor customer service to no room service and staff being utterly miserable etc... But I have named the most important.

I hope I have been of assistance to those who are looking for a true and honest review. To those people who have said this trip was fantastic! it may have been for their standards. I have been to sandals and los cobos and that is where my standrards are now at. I will sacrifice paying more to stay at a guaranteed true 5 star resort. I think this resort should change their rating or fix their management and staff. the food is a 3 at most! for me as a vegetarian the food is a 1 and everything else is a 1. I was very disappointed in this vacation as I gave so much business to this resort throughout my life. 1 more thing that really eats at me is that the workers look at us vacationers as privileged as if we are millionaires back home. Truth is we work harder than them all and we get treated like we should be supporting them with money and that we should feel sorry for them. You work in a vacation spot either cooking, cleaning or entertaining. You are living a pretty sweet life if you ask me.

A very disappointed guest who is still sick and recovering from Mexico over 2 weeks later. and who still has not received any apology or reimbursement.

One more thing... you should eliminate your Royal Golden clubs as they do nothing anyways. All you get is a possibility of having an ocean view. You will get room service that comes 2 hours later with the wrong order all cold and contaminated.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
edmonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed at Akumal this month, and we loved it!We did upgrade for the golden and we got the room with the ocean view.The room service was great, room cleaned every day, new towels twice a day! The beach was amazing, we swam with fish, fed them every time, unbelievable!
The food was pretty good, restaurants are good, too.(unfortunately I got sick on my last day- and still not great- who knows?)
I can't say enough about all employees, they are so eager to help, always with a smile -, incredible, hard working people
The trolleys are great, they go frequently all the time.
We will be back!!!!

Room Tip: Buidings 65,66 or 67 are by the beach!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear TripAdvisor Member:

On behalf of the entire team at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

We are grateful to read that you recognize the work of our staff, the cleanness of your room at the Golden Section and the quality of our food.

It has been our pleasure to be at your service and we hope to welcome you back in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact us before your next arrival.

Regards from Mexico,

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Riviera Maya
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed at this hotel in July and can't fault it in any way. We were over for a friends wedding and stayed for two weeks.
I booked flights and room independently. I opted for private transfer all arranged directly on hotels website.
I was given a room a stone's throw from the beach. Room was lovely and clean. My only very small complaint bar wasn't stocked every day. However if I had complained then it would have been sorted. Check in fast and receptionist took time to explain everything.

The staff are exceptional probably the best that I have ever experienced and I'm a regular traveller.
Couldn't fault any of the restaurants either although you have to be quick to get them booked.

Pools and grounds are immaculate. There's always someone cleaning!

Would thoroughly recommend this hotel although I heard rumours that they were going to make it adults only which would suit me. But a shame as the kids in the children club looked as if they were having a ball.

Swim with Dolphins or visit to Coco Bongo is a must

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The Best Holiday ever!!! We stayed at the Sian Kaan which was outstanding, but all other 3 hotels, Akumal, Tulum and Coba of excellent standard and you can use all of them. Room was very clean, spotless, air conditioning is an good condition, service was exceptional, they all very polite, friendly and helpful. We enjoyed food selection. It was yummy, fresh and well prepared. Entertainment was good, every day something new. This is an excellent place to spend quality time. Great, exciting tours, other activities, Snorkeling, scuba diving, etc.. 2 weeks is not even enough to try everything. You wont be disappointed.
Go there and have a good time.
We cant wait to go back again.
Thanks to everyone who tried so hard to make our vacation as a dream.

Room Tip: I don't know about other rooms, I'm sure they are good as well, but im positive they all in...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This hotel is located equally from the two large towns either side, both have tourist sites, such as temples, restaurants and shops. The hotel is very large with luxury rooms. All of the staff are very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
RRPP A, Public Relations at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Matthew:

First of all thank you very much for staying in the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya and taking the time to write your impressions.

It is great to know that you had a great time with us and it is a real pleasure to read your kind words.

Please, do not forget to contact us for your next visit; it will be my pleasure to help you with anything you may need.

Regards from The Mexican Caribbean!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in the Mayan Riviera
Mario Enrique Moreno

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Akumal? Share your experiences!