Stayed frist 2 weeks in August, 2014.
Let's get the good done first. It's a lovely looking hotel which has lots of options for things to do. That's about as good as it got for us. The beach is ok. Nowhere near as good as the ones further North in Playacar, but ok.
Rooms - spacious but we found lots of non-working parts - aircon, door locks, phones etc. Mostly not fixed despite being reported. As for cleanliness, after getting out of the shower, I expect to be able to get to the balcony without getting dirty feet (and I mean black). One day the aircon leaked into the wardrobe. They're renovating some blocks around blocks 80/79/78. Expect drilling sawing and hammering.
Bars - the guys working the bars were generally great, but why have one person serving and 8 folks watching? One bar (outside Akumal lobby) actually took the cushions we were sat on @ 22:30 one night. Inside we were told (once) "we stop serving that drink at 23:00". They'd actually packed it away and couldn't be bothered.
Restaurants - ran out of stuff, including the "show" restaurants. Never bothered tonreplenish what they were out of from one of the other 17? Restaurants on site. This wasn't very specific stuff, itvwas things like main course beef, wine off the wine list. Oh and tea bags in the buffet. Lost countof how many times they didn't have English Breakfast tea and it was too much hassle to go and get some more.
Room service. Bad. Got it right one night, another they sent toothpaste instead of pasta, third night took 3 hours. Quicker to get your own. Then they told us we didn't have room service..
Anniversary dinner, cart never turned up and didn't do the room up.
There are much better hotels than this in Playa Del Carmen.
Oh and as one other guy mentioned, they have the timeshare sellers parkend on the way to the buffet restaurants. They're a pain.
Would rather poke my eyes out with cocktails sticks than stay here again, but they've probably run out.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com and BookingOdigeoWL so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Akumal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principle
- Bahia Principe Mexico
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel Akumal
- Mexico Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Bahia Mexico Principe
- Akumal Gran Bahia Principe
- Grand Bahia Principe Akumal Riviera Maya, Mexico