“Summer holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Akumal

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Akumal to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Akumal
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa AventurasCtra. Chetumal - Cancun, km. 250, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 20 hotels in Akumal
Essex, United Kingdom
“Summer holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

Got back 30th July 2014 excellent hotel just a couple of things needs air con in the buffet restaurant,should not have to pay for safe in the room and could do with a supermarket for things like chocolate crisps biscuits there was shops but things like crisps was expensive a supermarket would take plenty of money and the bars shut to early could do with staying open till 12 a lot of people we spoke to while we was there said the same.Its like 3 hotels in 1 you can use them all and it's great the staff are so friendly we had a great time and would go back. We liked theAkumal the best and that's where we stayed it's on the beach, Coba is not on beach but is excellent for kids because it has a small water park and I think all 3 should have a better teens club.The buses to get you around are great and even take you down to your room,we stayed in a junior suite which was nice villa 72 a bit away from lobby but not that far about the rooms when we arrived we were put in villa 57 and villa 58 but we asked to be changed because we had asked for interconnecting rooms and they did move us after 2 nights we needed this room because I had my daughter and niece and wanted to be really near the but what I don't understand is the first room we was in didn't have bathrobes slippers pool towels but when we moved we had all of those things and more so had we of stayed in the first room was we going to miss out on things that we had payed for I don't know but as I said we had a great holiday and would go back we'll have already looked but at the moment the prices are through the roof but if we did I would like the same kind of room but nearer to the activity pool and beach but a villa number would be helpful so interconnecting room with everything.

4,987 people have reviewed this hotel

1965
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (907)
  • Polish first
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

Having traveled to various 4/5 start resorts we had high expectations for the GBP Akumal and for the most part we weren't disappointed.
We stayed in block 69 which was pretty central - 5 mins walk to the lobby and 5 mins walk to the beach with lots of wildlife to enjoy on the walk!
Ill start with the food.. the main buffet restaurant was lovely and cool although the staff were occasionally a bit inattentive - we often didn't even get offered coffee until we'd pretty much finished our breakfast - they were very busy and didn't seem to have enough staff so maybe hiring a few more people for the restaurant would solve this problem. The food itself was good by all inclusive standards, a little repetitive but it was tasty, the restaurant was clean and neither of us were ill so can't complain! The omelette station at breakfast was brilliant, we had one nearly every day. The Harlequin restaurant was beautiful, I had the duck and it was one of the nicest duck dishes I've had. We would also recommend a show table at the Mikado restaurant it was a lot of fun!
The room was big and spacious which was nice as we were there for two weeks so it would have gotten a bit claustrophobic if the room was small. The bed was huge and really comfortable and we had different towel art left by the maid every day. The bathroom was nice and clean and we had a jacuzzi bath which was a nice little addition to make our holiday even more relaxing. The maid did a brilliant job keeping the room clean and our mini fridge was always well stocked. The only issue with the room was that maybe as it was a ground floor it often felt quite musty and damp, the wardrobe made my clothes smell really awful and damp which isn't ideal when your clothes are hung in there for two weeks - we had to wash every single thing including the suitcases when we arrived home as they smelt horrendous this really needs to be sorted by the hotel.
The beach and pool areas were lovely the sea was nice and shallow for swimming but you could go around the wave breaks and swim on the corals if your preferred and the sea wasn't too rough.
The only real niggle we had was the the service on reception wasn't great and staff often seemed like they couldn't be bothered. On the first few days of our holiday it was raining and we found that there was no umbrella in our room. En route to the buffet on our first night we dropped by the reception to request an umbrella and they said they would have one sent to our room but this hadn't happened by the following day so we mentioned it again and they sent someone to check if we didn't have one - obviously he concluded that we didn't!!! We finally got an umbrella in our room on day 11 of our 14 day holiday despite asking 5-6 times, and we didn't need one by then as it only rained the first 3 days. Ridiculous that it took so long!

All that said I've given the hotel 4 starts as we had an amazing holiday and that was in large down to our experience at this hotel, we will be visiting again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Strengths:
Facilities - very good
Grounds - immaculately maintained
Rooms - good and very spacious with a well stocked inclusive mini-bar
Staff - very friendly and efficient
Food - very high quality with an excellent array to choose from. 'Le Gourmet' being an A La Carte restaurant worth particular mention and worthy of a determined visit.
Iguanas, coatis and colourful birds - numerous
Beaches - excellent
Snorkeling on site - surprisingly good
Wifi in lobby(ies) - I actually preferred this as it forces you off one's daily internet intake and makes you truly 'get away from it all'

Areas to improve on:
Bahia Privilege Club salespeople bottle-necking guests around lobby/buffet (it's a loyalty scheme with time-share-like sales methods, so to be avoided)
In spite of clear signage advising guests to not do so, many guests are reserving sunbeds - particularly in the pool areas - for whole days without actually making good use of them. Little the hotel can do about this, I would imagine, but vexing for the not-so-selfish guests, nevertheless. We observed three sunbeds by the smaller pool reserved for a whole day and nobody came near them once.

Top-tip: Go to the far South of the resort's beachfront and around the corner you will find a small section of beach with better sunbeds, an exclusive bar and a sheltered tide pool with good snorkeling (octopi, crabs, puffer fish, etc.) which the majority of the hotel's guests don't realise is there.

Room Tip: The closer you are to the beach, the breezier it is. You may be offered a 'free upgrade' t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Walsall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We returned last week from a two week holiday at the Akumal part of the GBP resort....and we have never spent two weeks in such luxury!

PRE-HOLIDAY ARRANGEMENTS
We had emailed the hotel in advance after reading other reviews, this was in regards to the A La Carte reservations, room requests and ordering birthday cakes for the two birthdays we were celebrating during our stay. We found out in the reply that the hotel does everything once you have checked-in on arrival. There is a free mobile app you can download and use to reserve your A La Cartes and see the schedules of events. It does advise on the app that if you are booking for multiple rooms, which we were, to see the public relations desk. The desk is located in the lobby and is easily accessible, it's very simple to make your reservations and they will print out the ticket that you will need to take with you to dinner. If you need a birthday cake ordering that can also be arranged at the public relations desk.

ARRIVAL:
On arrival to the hotel (approximately 1hr 45min coach journey from Cancun airport) our suitcases were taken off us and delivered to our room after exiting the coach, hold on to the slip the staff will give you when they take your cases. We were then given a welcome cocktail and were able to check in. There was a delay with the availability of a twin double bedroom for myself and my brother but the staff were attentive and wonderful and sorted it out for us as quickly as they could.

ROOM:
In the room was a minibar, coffee maker, TV and lovely bathroom. They provided multiple bottles of water and restocked each day so having bottled water available was never a problem. We usually put these in the fridge and took them out with us if we were going somewhere for the day. The minibar had coke, fanta, beer and more water. I think you can request snacks if you need them. Our first room, and the double room we were later moved to, were wonderful to sleep in. The air-conditioning was a much needed relief and luxury from the heat and there is also a ceiling fan to keep you extra cool. The beds were more comfortable than the ones we have at home so we always had a good nights sleep! The doors to the balcony have an extra netted door which you can slide across when going outside to keep the bugs out. My parents took a mosquito net and put it over their bed which I think saved them from getting bitten as much as myself and my brother. There is a decent hairdryer provided in the bathroom which was better than my own travel one. If you have many electrical items I would recommend taking a multiple plug adaptor, with the fridge and plug-in inset repellant it was hard to charge our cameras and phones and had to juggle them around a lot. (There was only one other plug socket when we had the fridge plugged in.) There is also a small washing line in the bathroom but as it is quite cold in the rooms they didn't dry as much as the things on the balcony. If you're on the bottoms floor, don't hang things over the balcony in the night because the sprinklers turn on and wet them again.

*They provide blue beach towels in the closet, make sure to hold on to these as you have to hand in 1 towel per guest when you check-out or they will charge you. You can swap your towels for clean ones at a little hut, for Akumal guests this hut is located beside the pool.*

FOOD:
Food at both the buffets and in the A La Carte restaurants was very impressive. Breakfast was always a favourite of ours. There's an egg station where they will make your eggs however you want. Fruit and yoghurt station, a range of scrambled egg, pancakes and crepes (not forgetting the chocolate machine and maple syrup!), piles of bacon, pastries, even Mexican food if you fancy it! We were spoilt for choice at the buffet and the food was at such a high standard. They wouldn't leave trays of food out until they were empty, if something was almost empty or had been out too long they would already have changed it for something fresh. We thought that this might not be the case when arriving at the end of the buffet, but they were still changing everything and making sure the trays were full. We had booked our A La Cartes so we weren't eating at the buffet every night but if that hadn't been the case, I doubt we would have ever got bored of what they were offering. Try all of the buffets in each of the resorts to see which you prefer, the only buffet we didn't try was the Coba lunch. Each buffet is slightly different and has a different atmosphere. We ended up eating at the Akumal mostly, we enjoyed being close to our rooms and the pool and the atmosphere was always lovely in there.

I would recommend making the most of the A La Carte reservations. The food and service they provide you with is wonderful and it gives you the chance to try something new. We ate at Dolce Vita, Tequila, Mediteranneó, Don Pablo, Le Gourmet, Harlequin, La Gran Tortuga and Portofino. I can highly recommend Tequila if you enjoy Mexican food. The starter buffet was by far the best out of all the A La Carte restaurants. They were making fresh tortillas filled with beef and chicken, tacos, nachos - basically everything Mexican! If you end up going here get the special cocktail, mango margarita if I recall, it's delicious! They also borrowed everyone in the restaurant sombreros which made for a wonderful family photo. 10/10 for food, service and atmosphere. Dolce Vita, Harlequin and La Gran Tortuga were three of my favourites out of the rest of the A La Cartes we visited. The food was exceptional, and the fillet mignon delicious! (I have posted pictures of the menu to help you have an idea of what they offer.) There is a dress code for the A La Cartes but found that it was only Harlequin and Portofino who were strict about it, many man wore shorts at the other restaurants.

DRINKS:
This was our first time on the 'all inclusive' option and you really do have everything included. I couldn't get enough of the cocktails that the hotel had to offer. But whatever you want - they will do their best to make it even if it isn't on the list. I highly recommend the Mango Tango, it is delicious - also the Miami Vice! (I've posted a picture of the cocktail lists for the pool and lobby bar.) The pool bars open at around 10 in the morning and close around 5:30 - 6pm depending on the bar.

POOL:
With access to the Coba and the Tulum resorts it was hard making a decision on where we would spend our time. We didn't end up spending much time over in Coba but there is a large pool/play area for children with slides etc for them to play on, it looked like good fun. The Tulum side was directed towards entertainment, especially around the main pool. They had competitions, a 'total-wipeout' style inflatable which was entertaining to watch everyone have a go. The swim-up pool bar was always lively with people from all over the world, and football nets attached to the side of the pool free for people to use. There are so many pools and a different atmosphere around each that it gives you the opportunity to decide the kind of day you want to have. We ended up at the main Akumal pool which was usually quite relaxed. With a swim-up pool bar and another bar on the other side, it was quite easy to spend the entire day there. Quite often they would open up a BBQ at the poolside and on the beach, so if you randomly hear music start, it means food is being served nearby. Sometimes it was seafood paella, another time beef and chicken fajitas, and a lovely mojito cocktail to wash it all down with! My only wish is that there was more music around the pools and on the beach, they played music when the BBQs were on but it would have been nice to hear music more often, even if it was just at the bars because it got a bit too quiet sometimes.

*Although it says no sun-lounger reserving, it happens, so if you want to have a chance of getting a sun-lounger and some shade for your family, then go early, and I mean, people are up at 6am and earlier walking to the beach and pool to reserve sun-loungers. Everyone does it.*

BEACH:
The Akumal, Coba and Tulum beach are all connected by a long strip of white, warm sand and crystal waters. They are stunning and the sand is soft so there is no worry of stubbing your toes on any rocks. There are rocks in the water, but it depends on which part of the beach you go to. Further towards the right end of the Akumal beach I found it was quite rocky but by the pier just as it crosses over to the Coba beach is where it was less rocky. If you're simply having a dip and paddling around you have nothing to worry about, but if you're taking part in the zumba or water-aerobics, that's when you become a bit more aware of them - still it's not a massive problem as there are very few rocks around the area. They have a rope and buoys marking the beginning of the reef. Around this area there are a lot of rocks and corals, we purchased water shoes before our trip and they really came in handy while we were snorkelling and swimming around that area. Snorkelling is something you have to do, you would not believe what is just under your feet! I think you get an hour hiring a snorkel and mask each day with the hotel but an hour was definitely not enough for us. Luckily we all had our own with us, which I would recommend as the fish are amazing the reef is beautiful. Snorkelling was a large part of our entertainment during our stay but there were also activities arranged by the hotel that happened each day (picture of the schedule available in my photos). The ones I participated in were the zumba and water-aerobics, they were good fun and you got to have a good boogey with the music while burning off that pile of pancakes from breakfast! Some people did the zumba on the dock but my mom and I just stayed in the water to save from embarrassing ourselves too much! At the end of the water-aerobics everyone gives each other a massage, which was hilarious but if getting massaged by a stranger is not your thing, you can simply float away before that bit. My brother went along to the pool by the 24 snack bar and participated in the water polo which he really enjoyed. Along the beach is a hut where you can book the water activities. We were going to book the catamarans but found out that to get your free hour per day you had to pay £43 (per 2 people) for your training before they let you go out on your own. There are also kayaks and parasailing, (approx £93 per person for parasailing).

As mentioned, the beach sun-loungers get reserved pretty early, people are on the beach from all hours in the morning. There are turtle eggs protected on the Tulum beach, you're not allowed to walk this area at night to protect them.

ACTIVITIES
Leaving the complex felt a bit strange the first time but it was nice to get out after a few days in the resort. There are various transportation services to use and it all depends on where you're going and how easy you want your journey to be. There are taxis, which can be ordered at the entrance to the lobby, the staff who stand at the wooden podium are more than happy to order you a taxi and can tell you the cost depending where you want to go. Always confirm a set price with the driver before taking a taxi, you can get a slip from the staff member who orders the taxi. If you get the cart to the Hacienda you can find the taxi rank there, but if you walk towards the highway, you'll find several "Collectivos" waiting on the side and they will take you where you need to go. We got a Collectivo to Playa Del Carmen (35 pesos each) and 5th Avenue where you can do a bit of shopping and experience the culture. For other places we visited we were inclined to take a taxi as it was easier and didn't cost much more. We spent a day at Xcaret which was fantastic, make sure to stay for the show at the end (7pm - 9pm) but get there around 6:40 if you want good seats, prepare for people leaving early and a mad rush to find a taxi and get home at the end. We also went to Akumal beach in a taxi and swam with the turtles, an experience we will never forget! We went twice, the first time we took a boat out to a lagoon and then had the swim with the turtles. You don't need a guide to swim with the turtles, if you hire the equipment (especially the life jacket) then you can snorkel all day with the turtles without a time limit and it is very cheap. Chichen Itza was another half a day out we made. It was a 2 hour drive from the resort - we got a taxi to take us there and bring us back for 2000 pesos. We only spent 2 hours in Chichen Itza, it was excruciatingly hot so we walked around as quick as possible and then got back to the resort and by the pool.

We found the best place for buying gifts for people was at the Hacienda. In the day they have loads of stalls set up around the area selling beautiful souvenirs and we found it to be slightly cheaper than the shops in Playa Del Carmen. There is also a sports bar at the Hacienda where you can play pool.

WEATHER:
The weather was incredible - between 37/48 degrees 8th July 2014 - 22nd July 2014. Don't fear the clouds or the rain, which I was worrying about as we went in rain season, it's a massive relief! We had one day when it rained for about 1/2 hours but it cleared up and we were in the pool so it didn't bother us. It doesn't spoilt the day at all. At other points it maybe rained for a few seconds but the blue sky returned within minutes. It was difficult to stay in the sun for long periods of time because you sweat so much, so being by the pool or the sea is helpful and keeps you cool. There is a huge difference between the temperature on the beach and by the pool. You get a lovely sea breeze on the beach which kept us cool but it is very humid by the pool without that breeze. I think we spent more time in the water than anywhere else, there are ledges in the pools that you can lie on and sunbathe if you still want to relax in the sun.

WILDLIFE:
Instead of dogs and cats, there are Iguanas and Coatí, which I miss seeing around now back home! They're all harmless and very beautiful to watch and walk around. Don't be too surprised if you're sunbathing an find an Iguana next to you when you look down. Quite often they were sunbathing on the artificial rocks built into the swimming pools.

STAFF:
The element that made our holiday complete were the staff. Never have we been greeted by such wonderful and friendly people. With a cheerful 'Hola!', there is never a time when someone will not be there to help you have the best holiday. The staff work so hard around the grounds and to keep their guests happy.

CLEANLINESS:
The staff work constantly to keep the hotel at an immaculate standard. They worked throughout the day cleaning the sides of the paths, gardening and collecting glasses. I couldn't have been more impressed with the quality and cleanliness of this resort!

NIGHT ENTERTAINMENT:
Check out the entertainment on the nights of the hotel but check each hotel schedule as they may be different to each other. (I've posted a picture of the Akumals evening entertainment.) We watched the Michael Jackson show, which although some people said that it was slightly cheesy, it was a brilliant show and he could do a pretty good moonwalk! If you can handle the cheese and like MJ and good music, I would have a watch. Entertainment starts pretty early (20:45pm) so if you really want to see something, I would arrange your A La Cartes and meal time around that. In the lounge outside the lobby they always had lovely live music and dancers and in the bar a live singer. Thursdays are Mexican nights. The theme runs throughout the resort and noticeably in the food they provide at the buffets. We didn't manage to go but they do a Mexican night at the Hacienda which you can buy tickets for at the public relations desk.

Things I would recommend to take:

- Plug-in insect repellant
- Universal Plugs
- Multiple Plug Sockets
- Antihistamines and inset bite cream
- Snorkels
- Water shoes
- Underwater camera

This really was a holiday of a lifetime. We couldn't have been more happy with the resort we chose and the experience we had of the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal. I would wholeheartedly recommend this resort as a place for families, couples and groups of friends. It will not let you down. Thank you for an incredible time - we have already started planning our return visit. See you in 2016 or maybe even next summer!

manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We first visited Grand Bahia resort in August 2008 as a 2 week family holiday with 2 late teenage children after recommendations from the rep while in the travel shop. We returned as a couple again in for 2 weeks in Sep 2011, then for a week in March 2013 for my wifes 50th, birthday then again this year a week in March. We find this resort faultless, fabulous staff from maids, gardeners, waters reception all with perfect professionalism, all resulting making our holiday a wonderful experience each visit. We're from the UK & having spent years enduring 2nd class standards inflicted on us throughout Europe, often at a higher charge, we find no fault with this resort.

1 mile of beautiful white sandy beaches, where we wander down late morning after breakfast, there's always plenty of sun loungers available. A variety of pools, some quiet and noisy for the more energetic. Gardens are kept immaculate by the non stop garners.
We've tried all the specialist restaurants during our visits, and couldn't fault any of them. All a high standard of service and the food is excellent.
The main buffets food is again of excellent quality and variety with very high standards of hygiene. In all our visits we have never experienced any tummy troubles.
The resort is big, however getting around is easy with the constant availability of free transport that constantly serves all three hotels and beaches.
Tipping is usual in Mexico and for good service is welcome, you don't tip every event, a friendly chat and a smile is also welcome. We always tip the room maid who do a great job and they often leave a towel creature display in your room, it's a shame when you have to dismantle it, also tip the staff who restocks your fridge every 2 days. Bring plenty of $1us notes with you, ideal for tipping.
They have a laundry service which is very reasonably priced, with excellent cleaning results.
Taxis outside by the main rd, or get the mini bus into Player del Carmen (approx $5us), worth a day out.
We hired a car ($70 us) easy to get around, there's not many roads, drove down to Tulam (20 mins) and then onto Coba, well worth visiting the ancient temples. When the kids were with us drove to Chichen Itza , and saved 300 usd.
Trawling through this years summer holiday brochures for our 2 week break, we decided to stick with the devil you know and have booked thou Thompson, flying again on their excellent Dreamliner for our 5th visit to Grand Bahia Principe Akumal on the 15th September this year.
Hope this review helps.
Eddie & Catherine Treacy

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My family travels twice a year to different Caribbean Islands and always stay at All-Inclusive Resorts. I chose Akumal because of the pictures. I must say I did not read the reviews prior to going but anyways, the ride to and from the airport was long, check in was a breeze. Long walks to your room although they have golf carts every 15mins to take you to and from. The Restaurant was mediocre, was expecting much better food - was just blah. Oh! you have to book reservations Ala Carte restaurants early. PAL-EASE!! don't let those guys talk you into going to that Privilege Club meeting, it was a BIG waste of our time (2hrs) trying to SELL you to buy time shares of the property. NOT!! worth it. 1st our room air was not working, every night we would hear noise like we were next to a commercial clothes dryer, couldn't sleep. Some of the staff were nice, but others were rude as if you were begging - don't get me wrong the hotel was very nice and well kept, beach is nice but going in was a bit rocky as you go out further its all sand and you can snorkel. Myself and my daughter went for spa treatment which was great. I would definitely go back to Mexico, but not to this hotel!!

Birmingham, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Travelled as a couple for two weeks, I had emailed hotel prior to arrival as it was our wedding anniversary and asked for a high floor room. We were upgraded to the Golden Akumal with a top floor junior suite. Brilliant, thank you to customer services for this. We cannot fault this hotel, everything was spotless, grounds are very well kept, gardeners constantly trimming, cutting grass etc. Didnt use the pools as we love the beach, and lots of different areas to use there too. The golden section beach is nice and quiet and the bar plays music all day which we loved. We used many of the al a carte resturants, loved the Arlequin the best, the worst was the Dolce Vita, very poor service, so slow. I would recommend the mexican coffee too!. We tried lots all of the buffet resturants, all very similar, a very good selection every day. Couldnt fault any of the staff, all very smiley, and helpful. We used carts to get around to Tulum and Coba, Went out of resort and used the local bus to Akumal where we snorkelled with a guide from eco centre (very knowledgable) with all kit for 30 pesos each (£15), saw lots of turtles, really close and stingray. Great experience, well worth the visit and was only about 5 mins from hotel!. We had lunch and few drinks at the Lo Ha beach bar, which was very good, nice staff, good food and very reasonable. Also went to Coco Bongos, which although its a late night was fantastic!, we expected it to be full of young people but were suprised a mix of all ages, and a really great show, would highly recommend it. Overall, we had a really great trip and wouldnt hesitate to recommend any of the three (Akumal, Tulum, and Coba) to anyone, and we will return. A big thank you!

Room Tip: High or middle floor
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Akumal? Share your experiences!