“CAN'T WAIT TO RETURN IN 2 WEEKS!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal

You added Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - Cancun Km 250, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Ancaster, Canada
“CAN'T WAIT TO RETURN IN 2 WEEKS!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Very excited to return to Gran Bahia Akumal Club Golden in two weeks!! This will be our 3rd visit to this resort. The last visit was two years ago. You cannot find nicer workers anywhere, always friendly and willing to please. The resort grounds are immaculate. I have travelled to many different islands and places, and this is one of the best resorts I have been to. My husband and I will be celebrating a special anniversary, along with celebrating our daughter's graduation. Again, cannot wait to return to the beautiful beach where I can relax and just listen to the waves all day long! See ya soon Akumal Club Golden! The Giancani's!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear Guests:

We would like to express our appreciation for choosing the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal for your 3rd time, it will be a pleasure to be at your service again.

It is always nice to receive comments from our clients after and before their holidays, every word motivates us to keep on the good work, as one of our main goals is to please our guests as much as we can due to the great quality of our services.

We are sure you will have a wonderful experience like previous years, please do not forget to contact us before your arrival date.

Kindest regards!

Grand Bahia Principe Akumal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,030)
  • Polish first
Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stayed at the Gran Bahia Akumal in early April and loved. We would return to this resort again. Food, service, bars were all very good. Had a great meal at the Arlequin. Tram service between the 3 different hotels on this property was top-notch. Never waited more than a few minutes for one.
We travelled with Air Transat and stayed in the Golden rooms. They're the same as the other rooms, but with a dedicated closer to the beach. The extra perks that came with "Golden" were well worth the little extra we paid for it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sherry:

We would like to thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal.

We appreciate your review on Trip Advisor and we are very glad to read that you had a great experience since the beginning to the end of your stay. All your observations have been passed to the departments involved, because comments of this type are the best tool of motivation for our team.

It will be an honor to host you and pamper you again in the near future, so please feel free to contact us before your next arrival. We will be very happy to be at your service once again.

Best Regards from Mexico!

Bovey Tracey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

So we were given some money by my parents at xmas and we decided to put this towards an Easter holiday in Mexico (just arrived back today and still radiating heat and very tired:)). Crazy I know, but we also couldn't book longer that 1 week so I did my research on the area and also was advised by a very good freind who stayed at the Akumal last year. When i made our booking I felt very well read on the area, the resort, what to expect; I'd trawled YouTube videos until I felt that I could actually find my self aroudn the place and kept well up to date with reviews.

Our booking was for myself, husband and son aged 9 for a week in the Akumal site. When we finally arrived (Cancun Airport will be reviewed separtaely but our experience on 16.04.14 was one of complete chaos, with seemingly no duty of care shown for travellers, their well being or their belongings) at the Akumal 'lobby' armed with my booking details, I was told that we would be transported to Akumal 'Premiere'. As i was aware of the various areas (UK readers: think luxury Centre Parcs in the Caribean), I was aware that this was not on my booking info and immediately queried it. I was fobbed off with 'it's a very busy time, it;'s high season, you have a very nice room, etc etc. We were bundled off around the corner, admitedly not that far, but not in the Akumal. The reception lady showed us on a map where our accomodation was located and it was up by the perimeter fence near to the dual carrigae way (in the Coba area); at this i burst into tears. Allthough I stuck to my guns and made it very clear that I was not happy with this, at no point did anyone actually say, yes you're right, you have booked Akumal and we are placing you elsewhere because we have overbooked. Given my upset state, the lady then offered us another room, still in Coba but nearer to our desired Akumal. As we were exhasuted and our son was becoming really distressed seeing me in such a state (very tired and emotional, not like me at all), I said that we would take the room for the 1 night and would be readdressing this the following day. The receptionist tried to seeten things by offering extra al la carte nights, which I refused to avoid being manipulated into accpeting the room situation.

The room was okay, clean, comfortable but not Akumal and this is the whole point. The following day I went to Akumal customer relations and met with a wonderful lady called Gabriella who listened, apologised and found us a room in Akumal for the following day so we had 2 nights in our Coba room before being moved; 2 nights our of our short 7 night stay.
WE moved and were delighted with our room 5411; this is how things should have been from the start. The resort is wonderful and the staff are amazing; people of note are Gabriella (obviously), Israel in the Akumal buffet restaurant, Jesus the bell boy, Moses the Waiter in Doce Vita. The beach and pools are breathtaking, clean, maintained, perfect. We are a carnivore, a vegetarian (yes not even fish) and a very fussy eating child so we really tested the buffet and it was great; something for everyone.

The grounds are beatufil and we fell inlove with the wildlife that freely roam the site. Don't feed them and keep well away; just enjoy.

It's a real shame that we had this upset in our first 2 days. If the management had just acknowwledged the truth, that yes our booking was for the Akumal and yes they had overbooked etcetc, i wouldve understood and cut them more slack, but i was fobbed off and made to feel like I was being awkward.

We will return but next time for 2 weeks; maybe split between this resort and outside, possibly Playa del Carmen or Playacar.

For those of you who truly beleive in animal welfare, give the dolpinariam a miss. Dolphins in a swimming pool is all their environment amounts to; they can't even jump high it's so shallow. There are claims that the dolpinarium is 'the 2nd best in the world'; i've clear memories of ones ih the UK long shut down as they were against animal welfare that were far better than this.
Enjoy the resort and the area, it has so much going for it without buying into this.

Room Tip: Be clear about your booking and where you want to be
Dear Angie:

On behalf of the entire work team at Grand Bahia Principe Riviera Maya, we would like to thank you for spending your holidays with us.

We really regret your perception about the services offered at the beginning of your holidays, please let us inform you that it is one of our priorities to provide the best options and services through our entire complex.

In the other hand we are happy to see that you are satisfied with the services offered by our staff: Our team will always be willing to listen carefully our guests' needs in order to create memorable experiences. Be sure we will share your comments with Gabriela and all of our staff.

It will be an honor to host you again in the near future, so please do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit.

Best Regards from Mexico!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Riviera Maya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Paradise on earth. Really friendly staff, especially the wedding coordinator, Maria Hernandez, who in the space of one hour went the extra mile and rearranged every detail of my sons wedding due to forecast inclement weather. The result was an amazing day in an amazing venue capped off by a tri-jacuzzi party with our own DJ and batman for the whole night which had been decked out appropriately for the occasion. Great memories which we will all cherish forever, especially the bride. If you are thinking of a wedding abroad you should rally give this resort your consideration

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Ray:

Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to host you and your family at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal for this special celebration in your son's life.

We are committed to create wonderful experiences for our visitors and we feel proud to see that we could do it for this special trip you had. We really appreciate your kind words which will be shared with the Groups & Weddings Department, we are sure they will be so happy to receive them, specially Maria who worked really hard for you.

We hope to welcome you again in the future, it will be a pleasure to be at your service again so please do not hesitate to contact us before your arrival date.

Our kindest regards from your house at the Mexican Caribbean!

Winnipeg, Manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

This was our 3rd stay at the Bahia Principe in the Mayan Riviera and the first time with our daughter who is 5. The kids club is excellent! They have a schedule of activities each day, hour by hour. Our daughter would ask to go! It was a great break from the sun and let us have some time to ourselves! They even do rehearsals for the evening shows and involve the kids. Our daughter loved it!

The waterpark is also awesome! It is all shallow so you don't have to worry too much and can just let the kids run and play!

There is also a free dolphin show everyday which is fun for kids.

The beach is protected with large sand bags which make it very fun and safe for young kids to swim and play!

I highly recommend this resort for families with children!

Dear TripAdvisor users:

Thank you for choosing the Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya and for spending your family holidays, we really appreciate your loyalty to our chain.

We are glad to see that you felt fully satisfied about our services and we were capable to leave you so amazing life time memories in your family holidays. We want to thank you for sharing your valuable comments regarding your visit, there is no tool of inspiration for our team.

We will be happy to welcome you at your second home at the Mexican Caribbean, so please do not hesitate to contact us before your next holidays, it will be a pleasure to be once again at your service!

Our Best regards,

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Riviera Maya.
Brampton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I had not been on a trip since our honeymoon almost 20 years ago, so we were very excited at the idea of attending a friend's destination wedding! We booked 8 months in advance, and could not contain our excitement! When we arrived, our group was met by the hotel Manager at Akumal, and he nonchalantly informed us that there were no rooms available at Akumal, but that he would upgrade our group to another hotel. This upgrade was Sian Kaan and is located across the hwy with a 10 - 15 min trolley ride to the beach or back to Akumal. Our group did not consider this an upgrade at all! True, he did offer to give us a gold bracelet that allowed 4 (not the 3) a la carte meals included in our package, but we learned pretty fast that it was impossible to book reservations for a group and so we only used 1 a la carte meal. After arguing for an hour and watching my friend (the bride-to-be cry in the lobby) we agreed to be moved and scattered throughout the Tulum hotel, which took another 2 hours to check in. We learned that Air Transat had been aware that our group was going to be bumped from our hotel and they knew that 80% of the tourists were over booked for Akumal, but no tour representative was there to assist us, or give us a heads up!! To me, this kind of business practice is outrageous...When I inquired about the hotel's policies and practices, Luis the Manager stated that as long as he offered an "upgrade" they were covered, and when I asked about a policy that determined who was chosen to be bumped, there was none. For tourists to book so much in advance, and to learn they are not getting what they paid for, it doesn't leave you any choice BUT to accept accommodation... lets be clear, again it is not an upgrade when the room/hotel they put you is of a lesser value, has no working toilet for 3 days, has a broken a/c and you learn it is a standard room, not the junior suite you paid for. The saddest part is that we encountered many of these 80% who were overbooked, and they were all there to celebrate birthdays, weddings and other special events that were ruined by the insincerity of the management, and the complete disregard for customer care. I think this is a horrible business approach, but the most appalling part of all was the lack of care/concern shown by the hotel Manger at Akumal. This is a shame because the other staff (bell hops, wait staff, housekeeping, bartenders, trolley drivers etc) were fantastic!

Room Tip: Be sure to understand completely what the hotel says is an upgrade, and to be sure that you agree be...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear TripAdvisor user:

On behalf of the hotel Management we would like to express our appreciation for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor with regard to your recent visit.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered during your stay and we regret very much if we did not impress you with some of our services but hope that you are able to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again in our hotel Grand Bahia Principe Akumal in a near future or at any of the Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts to be able to change your impression about our services.

Looking forward to welcome you, we send you our warmest regards!

Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a week at this resort and already I want to go back!
First of all, let me start by saying I am a travel agent and really scrutinizing every inch of this resort. I have high expectations and they really didn't disappoint.
I just read a negative review from someone who travelled to this resort the same wk we did and cant believe how different our experiences were. I think everyone has different expectations but as a travel agent, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this resorts to my clients.

The grounds are stunning, well kept and very clean. We stayed in room 4803 which was the perfect location. It was on the ground floor with a partial oceanview and literally 10 feet from the pool, beach, lobby, and buffet. The snack bar and activity pool were also just a short walk away.
The rooms are spacious, nicely decorated, and were cleaned and restocked daily.
The buffet at Akumal had a great selection and the food was consistently good.
We tried the buffets at Tulum and Coba, and although the food and presentation was similar to Akumal, I thought Tulum had the best service and atmosphere.
My favorite was the Japanese restaurant Mikado! The service is impeccable, the food was amazing and I really enjoyed the cooking show.
I would also recommend the Italian restaurant, Dolce VIta. Great food and service.

If you dont want a full meal, there is a 24hr snack bar on the beach very close to the activity pool, not far from the main lobby. The food was always fresh, hot and plentiful.

The pool was huge and absolutely beautiful. My only complaint would be that it is difficult to get a lounge chair. Even though there are signs everywhere that say don't reserve chairs, by 8am-9am, every lounger had a towel on it. It was very frustrating, especially when some of these people wouldn't show up until later in the day.

Overall, I believe this resort deserves it 5 star rating. The staff work very hard, and although tipping is not expected, it is always appreciated and in my experience well deserved!

Im looking forward to trying Tulum or Coba section next yr so I will post a review then!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

First of all thank you very much for staying in the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal Resort and taking the time to write your positive impressions. It is for guests like you who send us this valuable feedback about our resort, that our hotel is one of the most appreciated hotels in this wonderful area; the Riviera Maya.

It is great to read that you really had such as amazing time with us. It is important for us that all our guests enjoy their time on the property and leave with a good impression and even the desire to come back for more. It will be a pleasure to welcome you again in the future in our complex.

Once again, we thank you so much for your nice words!

Kind Regards from Sunny Mexico!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel on the Mayan Riviera
Grand Bahia Principe Akumal

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal? Share your experiences!