“Return trip was as good as first time!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal

You added Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal to your Saves list
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal - Cancun Km 250, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Weymouth, United Kingdom
“Return trip was as good as first time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We were here in March 2013 for the second time and was certainly not disappointed! It was just as nice, if not better, a few improvements since we were here in Nov 2011. We were looked after very well as returning guests with a few nice touches, such as a la cartes all booked as requested, we got our first choice of block requested with added bonus of jacuzzi bath and lovely view over beach. Another nice touch was champagne and fruit basket, along with the customery tequila,of course! Staff are great and very welcoming. Resort is kept spotless, we even saw them cleaning the sea barriers (not sure what they are called, wave breakers?), two men scrubbing for a few hours - amazing quality to detail, dedicated to keeping all the resorts spotless.
Our favourite a la carte restaurant was Le Gourmet but we tried gran tortuga, portofino and dolce vita which were all good also. Went to akumal beach but much preferred tulum paradise beach. Used collectivos which are great economical and regular transport aswell as taxis.
The only disappointment this time around is that we only managed to get to coba pool once in 2 wks, due to annoying people utting towels on beds then disappearing for goodness knows how long! This wasnt allowed when we were there before as pool staff removed towels if nobody there using them. We were disappointed not to be able to go to the coba's great pool party which we hadso much fun at last time! The Coba entertainment team were mental - great fun and worked so hard to entertain you!
We can't praise gbp akumal enough and have booked to return again in Nov this year! Counting down the weeks til our return!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
RRPP A, Public Relations at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Guest:

On behalf of Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, we would like to thank you for your preference.

We certainly appreciate your comments, all of them provide us with the opportunity to know that we are doing a good work.

Please do not forget to contact us before your arrival on November, and we will prepare a very especial welcome.

Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,032)
  • Polish first
Lodz, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I spent 10 days at the hotel in March 2013. I must admit that everything was impeccable. We were staying at the Premium Golden Royal Club. From the very first moment during the check-in untill the check-out (actually even longer, because even after check-out we were using all the facilities untill the moment we were taken to the airport by our shuttle) we were served with attention and we felt the comfort of our holidays.
The staff is friendly and helpful - everyone seems to be focused on the hotel guests as much as it is possible. Whether it was reception area, a restaurant or anywhere else everyone was willing to help with any questions and requests we had. We communicated in English, although I noticed that some of the workers can speak also French, not to mention their native language.
The room was quite spacious and, what's the most important, very clean. We had clean towels every single day, the bowl of toiletries was filled every day and I guess the furniture was dusted and the floor was cleaned also every day.
The food was delicious. Even the seafood which I'm not very fond of was really tasty. The variety of food was so great that it was difficult to decide what to eat. We could choose the mexican cuisine dishes as well as some typically american dishes, italian and many others.There were also those great freshly-squeezed juices, many kinds of fresh fruit and desserts. During our stay we visited several a la carte restaurants. I'd specially reccommend Mikado - Japanese restaurant where we watched also the cooking show.
The pools were cleaned every day, although we didn't spend much time there, as it was quite difficult to find some free sunbeds there (the guests usually "made reservations" by leaving their towels there early in the morning). But the beach and beach bars were very nice, so we didn't mind spending our time there.
As the area of the hotel was really big, there were special cars for the guests, so moving around was very easy. I also liked the Hacienda where we could buy some of the souvenirs we brought back home. And finally - in the reception area there was a place where we could contact some local travel agencies that organised various tours.
All in all we had a great time and the hotel was a great value for money, so it is really worth reccommendation.

Room Tip: Rooms in Royal Golden Club are bigger and they're very close to the beach. We also had the hydro...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Allow us to thank you for choosing Grand Bahia Principe Akumal for your most recent vacations.

It is an honor to know that our facilities and services have fulfilled your expectations, Providing you the most incredible stay which is one of our priorities. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Kelso, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

After completing our seventh visit to the Gran Bahia Príncipe Akumal, we consider this resort to be our second home. This year my husband and I plan to return again in October. We have decided to visit at least once a year this incredible resort.. It truly is an all inclusive experience. We enjoy all the amenities provided. The staff is so caring and are there to meet your needs. The fitness room is great. The food, music, beach, pool, drinks, activities, shopping.....all simply fantastic!

I really enjoy the tropical animals...the coatimundis, the agousti, and the raccoons...simply amazing. The iguanas are also enchanting and love to hang out everywhere! The birds are incredible also.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean are fantastic. However, there isn't a bad room in the entire resort.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

We would like to thank you for your visit to Grand Bahia Principe Akumal.

We appreciate the time that you took to send your impressions that will be shared with the staff who made from your stay a memorable one. A better recognition from our guests, we could not have!

Looking forward to have the opportunity to serve you in the future, so please do not forget to contact us 3 weeks before your visit on October

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

We had an amazing stay and would definitley return! The hotel was such good value for money, it is massive so you can never get bored. The food was delicious at the buffet, with a massive variety.The people are super friendly and make yóu feel so welcome. :)

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guest:

Warm greetings from Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya!

We would like to thank you for your stay on your most recent visit to the Mexican Caribbean and for your invaluable comments, that are going to be the best motivation for our team

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you in your next vacations!!

Regards from The Mexican Caribbean!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

We had a great time. We purchased the royal golden upgrade. The direct shuttle to and from the airport was well worth it. I much preferred the shopping around akumal and tulum than playa del Carmen. The rooms at Bahia principe akumal were spacious and in close proximity to the beach. I did check out the beach at tulum as well and found that the beach directly behind the akumal lobby was the best. It was soft and sandy and right next to the reef which made it great for snorkeling as well. This section of beach it was hard to find a palapa midday but there were plenty of loungers in the sun and I don't think I even sat down much anyways. I was traveling with my three year old son as well. It was nice to have the sandbags to keep the water nice and calm and safe for him to swim in. As well all of the a la carte restaurants had kids menus so that I could enjoy some fine dining while he could enjoy pizza or a hot dog. As far as the a la cartes went I enjoyed them all. I went to the seafood restaurants at akumal and coba as well as the international restaurant at akumal and the Brazilian restaurant at tulum. The international restaurant was incredible- try the tapioca pudding dessert yum:) everything at this resort either met or exceeded my expectations. I will be returning again. I would recommend this resort to everyone.

Oh and the iguanas like bananas we had a bit of an encounter with one and had to toss the banana- still the highlight of my sons trip.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest:

First of all thank you very much for staying in the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal Resort and taking the time to write your impressions.

It is great to know that you had a great time with us and It is a real pleasure to read your kind words that we will pass to the staff of the hotel.

Please, do not forget to contact us for your next visit, it will be my pleasure to help you with anything you may need.

Regards from The Mexican Caribbean!

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Loved this place. the shear size of it amazed me although everyone says just how big it is, you have to see it for yourself. me and the wife stayed in Akumal while her mum sis and step dad stayed in Tulum, and unless you had a base to meet, you literally could go days without finding eachother, which (if you have a sister-in-law like mine) isn't such a bad thing lol. any down to the main points.

BEACH:
Water is like gettin into a bath, loads of fish around, but wear water shoes as its sharp sand and rocks.
a few hammocks scattered around close to Snack and drinks bars, so I spent many hours drunk with beer in hand.

ROOMS:
Good enough, room service at Akumal, Air con and fan worked fine, Tele channels crap (but who's there to sit in all day anyway). one thing i will say is the safes are charged at $5 per day or 50 pesos! i was there 12 days and paid 600 pesos which is around £40, so rip off in my opinion. but wouldnt bother as no one else did and i herd nothing of robberys or theft.

BARS/POOLS/MISCELANNIOS ETC ETC.
theres so many pools that i didnt have enough time to go in them all! but loads of fun stuff like water volleyball, and water polo, womens waterobic stuff and bla bla bla. I think i took part once at the water volleyball and go drunk at the bar the rest of the holiday, get hot jump in, get out and get drunk again.

BOOZE:
The Tequila will ruin you! (accompanied by all the cocktails), I did drink alot of beer all the way through but it had little affect other than bloating, and alot of trips to the toilet. Theres is a little secret gem hidden in the market place though (Hacienda) if you go through the market into the coart yard of the buildin behind it all and TURN RIGHT... at the end on your right hand side is a corona sports bar open for all the early footy games because of the time difference its the only place to be when your teams playing. you do have to pay for the drinks though, but its not watered down and served by the bottle. I drank 4 litre bottles (yes litres) while watchin Chelsea beat the Manc's and by the time i Left i was 80% mangled! had a few Tequila's and passed out after a trip to the bog facing down lol. (litre bottles are $8 and normal 330ml are $3-$4)

EXCURSIONS

Coco Bongo -
My wife went to this with her little sis, and said it was brilliant. (but I can't confirm nor deny whether this statement is true)

Fat Cats Booze Cruise (adults only one) -
I thought this would be right up my street, $110 per person with lunch and all ya drinks included on a catemaran.
Ive done alot of these over the world and can say this is the SMALLEST catemaran ive ever been on. and it was at full capacity! Drinks were in cans and served corona so i was happy. The people workin the boat cought 3 fish about a metre long each. and they were chunky. so when they said dinner was served i was expecting a bbq on the back... EVERYONES FACE HAD SHOCK WRITTEN ALL OVER IT WHEN THEY PULLED OUT PAPER BAGS (1 each) with a ham sandwich, one pack of crisps, and a single chocolate bar in them, W.T.F! anyway I spose eatin's cheating when your tryin to get smashed anyway. but i was expecting better i must say!

Columbus Candle lit dinner cruise-
Took the wife on this, probably my favourite of all. Lobster / Steak or both as the main with Roast potato's and the cheese cake for desert was proper nice! the drinks again were descent too. (Lads if you've p****d of the mrs this holiday then save this til the night before you go home). She will forget everything you've done to aggrevate her! (I was a perfect gentleman the hole holiday, so i just treated her for the sake of it)

A LA CARTES:

Mediteranian -
my wife and her family went to this on the afternoon after I'd watched the Chelsea Man U game, so they were definetely better off without me. anyway they like it alot,

Mikado -
we were sitting on the show table at 10:30pm. If Im honest the food was ok. the soup was a little on the salty side, What I mean is they probably boiled up some water from the Beach and chucked 2 cubes of goats cheese in it and watched as everyone tried so hard to keep it down!. the main was good though, and the desert im told was great. I wouldnt bother with the show table in all honesty. we had to wait until so late for it, and literally all they do is juggle a spatula and a fork, fill up a bowl each with rice, and throw it upside down twice before awaiting tips. dont waste ya time.

Tortuga (aka Brazilian)

Now this is a propa restuarant. you get a card with green on one side and red on the other. keep it green if u want more, and red when your stuffed. they literally walk round every 5 minutes with different meats on a kebab style skewer the size of your arm. just about every meat worth eating is served. and they wont stop until your full. (dont forget to leave room for desert because they're pretty damn special aswell), by far my favourite restuarant in this hotel and probably the world at present.

right runnin out of stuff to write now as i landed home 5 1/2 hours ago....
o yeah it is 10 hour flight from gatwick, and 2 hour transfer on the other end,,, plus 11 1/2 hour flight back for some reason... but i promise you, that ruins most of my feelings for the holiday when im home. and i would still definately recommend this place to anyone!

Trust me you wont regret it

Room Tip: buliding 64 was ours and if you walked out on your balcany you could pickup the free lobby wifi if y...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
RRPP A, Public Relations Executive at Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Guest:

Receive warm greetings from The Riviera Maya.

We would like thank you for choosing us as your destination on your most recent trip. We also appreciate the time taken by you to send your impressions, they will be shared with the staff that made from your stay a memorable one.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you the future, so please do not forget to contac us before your next visit.

Regards from your home at the Mexican Caribbean!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

After some negative experiences at Cuban all-inclusive resorts, I was a bit apprehensive about going to Mexico. I was pleasantly surprised by the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal. The beaches were great, the food was good and the accommodations were solid. I had a great time. Lots of fun!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest:

We appreciate the time taken by you in writing a review of your recent stay and at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya.

We would like to express our gratitude for these kind words you have shared and also for appreciate the excellent services and the efforts from our staff

We look forward to your return to Grand Bahia Principe Resort so please do not hesitate to contact us before your next arrival and we will give you the amenities for being so loyal guest.

Our best regards,

Public Relations

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal? Share your experiences!