“Bahai Akumal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Akumal

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Akumal to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Akumal
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa AventurasCtra. Chetumal - Cancun, km. 250, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #3 of 20 hotels in Akumal
San Diego, California
“Bahai Akumal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed in the Tulum section of the resort, but spent a lot of our time in the Akumal section. I preferred the beach and pools at Akumal, while my DH preferred the Tulum waves. We ate lunch here on most days, and ate at the Frutos del Mar..food and staff were great. (DH thought the portions were too small)lol. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend or stay in this part of the resort myself.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
RRPP A, Public Relations Executive at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Linda24:

On behalf of the entire Gran Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya team I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.

We are honored that you have selected our hotel as your holiday destination and will be looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

So please contact us before your next and we will do all our best to accommodate your wishes for you to have another unforgettable experience

Receive our warmest regards

4,623 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (793)
  • Polish first
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

a group of 7 of us stayed in the gran bahia Principe Akumal and all 7 of us loved this holiday. the weather was beautiful for us don't think we saw a day below 27 degrees and this is winter for them! the good thing about this hotel is that with it being so big there are so many places to eat drink and even shop, not only that it is so easy to get around the full complex (all three hotels) with the little shuttle trains running every couple of minutes. ill start off with the food, there is a very large variety of food (a lot that i wouldn't tend to choose from) however they cope with every bodies tastes and i never had a problem including no after affects if you know what i mean which for in the Caribbean is a first for me as I've stopped in other hotels and had "bad affects" we shall call it from the food. Anyway moving on from that i would advise booking your a le carte meals early and split them up so that you don't get bored of the buffet as it pretty much stays the same with the odd change. out of the restaurants i would recommend in 1. the japanese!!!!! make sure you go from starter to dessert was gorgeous its not all sushi like i thought it would be i had chicken skewers for starter with asparagus and main i had chicken and mignon (which i didn't know what it was) turned out it was sirloin steak, never had steak like it was gorgeous so much so we changed some of our other a le cartes to this to have again, also as a heads up to anyone who s going to this restaurant i would recommend the choc ice cream as it turned out to be like a profiterole but a lot nicer!! 2. brasillian and 3. mexican as the service in the mexican was 2nd to none!

As for the rooms we had a lovely room which we had already upgraded before getting there direct through our travel agents for a little cost and i would definitely do the same again, we stayed in block 56 which was very close to the 24 hour snack bar which is located a 30 seconds walk from the beach but isn't a sea view as palm trees and other trees are in the way.

As for shopping there is the hasienda at the front of the complex which can be more expensive than other places we visited but for a cheap one off item it isn't too bad saves the journey to playa del carmen 5th avenue (which i did about 4 times) worth the look around. which is 40 ish minutes away on a collectivo (little mini bus) which costs 40 Paso each way per person (about £2) the taxis at the front will try to get you to use them but when there was just two of us they was charging 25 dollars which was like an extra 14 pound on top of what you would pay for the collectivo.

as for the alcohol they do have premium labels for example smirnoff vodka which for once was actual smirnoff and not some other rubbish poored in a smirnoff bottle if you asked for it you got it, i did tip often which i think helped but they are happy to help and was great.

Excursions: you will see one called UNDERWATER WORLD do NOT go on it its between 50 and 75 dollars per person to go swimming with turtles and visit a cenote, the swimming with turtles is at akumal beach which is 10 minutes in a collectivo or taxi down the road and can be done by yourself for the same experience but for the price of a taxi it does not cost to go on the beach or in the sea and i gaurantee you will see turtles they are around 100 yards out upto a catamaran which you dont need to travel any further out you will definitely see them aswel as sting rays and possible barracuda i would recommend doing this but dont buy the excursion its nothing you cant do for free which unfortunately we didn't know of and all 7 of us paid the 75 dollars so 525 dollars (roughly is around £350 which could of cost as little as 560 paso (£28) for all of us if we had took the collectivo!

One excursions i would recommend is coco bongo no matter what age you are do it you will have a fantastic night, only four of us did this as one couple had a child and its over 18's only, seriously go tho this night we booked with our rep (thomsons first choice) and went vip on a monday (fridays and saturdays are more expensive by 20 dollars each) vip we had our own little balcony and seating area next to the stage and down a little brilliant seats and a little dancing area privately for us, the waiter was excellent a little too eager at times but suppose i would rather have him eager than not around at all, we did tip pretty well that night also this may have been the reason but i would do the same again as we was never without a drink and he couldn't be more helpful!

one last thing if you do book one or more excursions with thomson and one of them being a dolphn trip which we booked the silver trip when we arrived we got a 30 dollars off voucher which we used on another excursion so do the dolphins 2nd or 3rd if your going to do them, this happened to us but they don't advertise it although everyone that did it got one so may have just been a special at that time not sure.

final point the akumal beach isn't that fantastic, nice views but too many stones but perfect for sunbathing as it never got that busy ( i stayed at this beach, however if you like soft sand get one of the little shuttle trains from the lobby and go to tulum beach that was a lot nicer to walk on.

all in all i would rate this hotel 4.5 out of 5 as the only thing that let it down was the entertinment on a night wasn't fantastic some acts a little cringe worthy but then others was really good, the michael jackson show and like a tribute act of a lot ofcelebs like bieber, jackso, Madonna, usher Pitbull and so on (but just dancing no singing)

daytime entertainment was pretty good had something for everyone i would recommend getting involved for a good laugh

finally be prepared to see a little wildlife as there are a lot of iguanas and little monkey things and racoons specially at night time with the racoons. but all dead friendly

Room Tip: for a deluxe room block 56 was really good, if you can get colden club then block 65,66,67 are the c...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
RRPP A, Public Relations Executive at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Sir or Madame:

In the name of all the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya staff, receive our most sincere appreciation for make us participant of your inspiring and motivating words to all the efforts of our staff.

We are proud by the fact of have fulfilled your expectations, and gave you this amazing holidays that you comment us

We look forward to be able to welcome you again. Please write us a little message before your next visit to have something special to welcome you. Once again thanks a lot for your kind review shared.

Sending you our kindest regards from the Mexican Caribbean!

Verwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We have just returned from a two week stay at the GBP Akumal and can honestly say it was the most amazing holiday ever. The complex is spotlessly clean and really beautiful. The staff are all wonderfully polite and cannot do enough for you, from the maids and cleaners to the bar staff and entertainment guys (Diego and Pedro, you guys rock!) Our room was lovely, we were in Villa 53 which was great. Close enough to the pool and restaurant etc. Our maid, Pedro was great. The towel art he produced for us each day was amazing.
The grounds of GBP are truly beautiful. This place is so big and yet it is kept in tip top shape. I loved seeing the wildlife running around, the Coaties are fun to watch as they eat the fallen coconuts.
Our first morning we walked early to the beach and the view was just breathtaking. Crystal clear waters and fish swimming around. It was great having the choice of either being around one of the pools, or being on the beach. We liked the activity pool as we liked the music and fun games that the team organised during the day. However, if you liked the quieter life, the other pools are peaceful. Getting around the resort is easy, you just get on a cart which takes you to the other lobby’s at Coba or Tulum or to the restaurants for your A La Carte’s. We found these to be first class. Arlequins was great. Both the food and service was great. We also went to the Brazilian where you have as much meat as you can eat!..(Gran Tortuga) Dolce Vita was good (Italian) Don Pablo (food ok but we found the service to be bad here..on the night we went, people actually walked out, but maybe they were just having a bad night) but on the whole, the food was really good.
The buffet dining was good, always plenty to choose from at every meal and all wonderfully presented. Again, the staff were all lovely and very friendly.
The evening entertainment was good. We enjoyed the Michael Jackson show and other shows at the show bar and Fernando was always on hand to fill our glasses with a cheeky smile.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this resort to anyone and would love to go back and I don’t normally go back to the same place, but I would definitely make an exception here. My son and I had an absolutely amazing holiday and would like to thank all staff at the resort for making our stay such an enjoyable one. We hope to see you all again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear sallyann1963:

We want to thank you for your beautiful comments about your last stay at the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya

We want to assure you that the manager has already pass these amazing words to our personal to let them know the mentions to their excellent work.

It is great to hear that you are considering to come back; the whole team will waiting for you and will be honored to make your next stay special again, so please do not hesitate to contact us before your next arrival and we will do all our best to accommodate your wishes

Receive our warmest regards from your house at the Mexican Caribbean.

N Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed at this resort for 2 weeks at the end of Nov & had a great time. I emailed any requests I had in advance & Vanessa quickly replied, accommodating all of our needs - a big thank you to her.

All the other reviews have covered most of the points about location & friendly staff etc, however I would like to mention the 'unsung heroes' such as the gardeners who go unnoticed yet do an amazing job.

The previledge club did not bother me at all, as I know previous guests did mention them being a problem, but I certainly didn't have any issues. There is free wifi for everyone in the lobby which was great (if a little slow). The bar area provides tea/coffee & nibbles, even when the bar is closed, so you can grab a coffee & take it into the lobby while on the net. Also I never felt pressured into giving tips, all staff treated me well, regardless of whether I had tipped them or not.

There are just a few negatives, which for me personally, didn't really impact on the enjoyment of my holiday however I know future guests like to know:
A. The rooms are a little tired, but who goes on holiday to spend much time in their room anyway?
B. At breakfast it can take a little time to get a coffee/tea however the staff were always busy, so they weren't deliberatly ignoring guests.
C. On the rare occasion at the buffet you may get something that is cold, but like I say, it is very rare this happened. I think it happened to me once & twice to my husband.
D. Finally, & probably the most disappointing of my negatives, was the Tequila Restaurant. I had shrimp fettuccine which only had 2 shrimps in it & was very bland. All the other a la cartes where very good, so don't be put off.

I found the food in the buffet good, especially the healthy eating section. Sadly I did notice numerous guests using their hands rather than the tongs provided, however this is not the hotels fault, just the unhygienic practices of other holiday makers!

All in all this was a great holiday & I would definitely return. The positives FAR outway those minor negatives. I think this hotel offers terrific value for money & I wish I was back there now.

Dear Dyane69:

First of all, we would like to thank you for bringing to your comments about your last stay at the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya.

Definitely is the best way to assess and evaluate all the services that we offer. I want to thank you for the especial mention to my job, It is great to know that my arrangements were very useful to you. Please be assured that we will address your important suggestion to the departament involved to give the proper follow up to the areas need it.

We hope to have you with us in the near future, so Please do not hesitate to contact us before your next arrival, in the same way that you did it this time, and we will do all our best to accommodate your wishes and have everything ready for a very especial welcome.

Receive our warmest regards and our most sincere appreciation, from your house at the Mexican Caribbean.

Richmond, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We just returned yesterday (Dec 3rd) from our second one week stay at the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal. We stayed the same time last year and had a similar enjoyable experience (which makes for a nice consistent expectation when you only have a week a year).

We did change it up a little this year by booking in the Royal Golden section. It was only a few dollars more and we got an extra a'la carte and a great room that overlooked the beach. The other so called "perks" were not really evident to us, but we'd book in the Royal Golden again just for the aforementioned.

As most others note in their reviews, the complex is big and kept immaculate. A small army of friendly staff are constantly cleaning, entertaining and serving your needs.

As most are probably more interested in the negative aspects of a vacation resort, I'll touch on those, but keep in mind the positives by far outway them:

1) Rooms are a bit dated, ordinary and are starting to show their usage. The sound proofing between the units is not very good and you can especially hear your neighboring conversations when in the bathrooms (through the venting). Beds are very firm and only have an add-on foam topper. They are kept very clean by the housekeeping staff.

2) Room safes require the daily rental of a lock and key ($5 per day). Not a big deal, but most other resorts where we have stayed have combo/code locks that are free. Not a big deal aside from having to carry a key with you or hide it in your room.

3) Food is just okay in the buffets with little quality selection as far as beef and seafood. Chicken dishes are always dependable and pork is a bit hit and miss. Side dishes are plentiful and deserts are not that great. In the a'la cartes food is better (as you would expect), but the steaks and such lack the quality of true 1st class dinner that you may expect back home. Still good value, just don't over expect.

All in all the resort is great value for what it is. The things mentioned above can be resolved at some other resorts (we've stayed there too), but you can expect to pay a lot more. With that in mind we'll likely go back to the Bahia... maybe for two weeks next time?!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir or Madame:

Definitely is the best way to assess and evaluate our performance, and ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us. Reviews like yours, are the motivation for us to keep in the good job and improve the service for a better welcome in your future visits.

We invite you to contact us for your next arrival and we will have an especial welcome for you and your family, because our repetitive guests are the most valuable persons for our chain

Receive my best regards from your house at the Mexican Caribbean.

Oshawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We're a Canadian couple who really enjoy cruising, and have also been fortunate to visit a few Caribbean all inclusive resorts. We selected the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal [GBPA] Mexico for a November 2012 visit, based on our past enjoyment of GBP properties in Punta Cana. GBP provided great value and service there, plus Transat Vacations offered a very good price out of Toronto for Mexico. So off we went.

Our first good impression of GBPA actually occured prior to leaving Toronto, as we emailed to inquire on rooms and a la cartes. Receiving a prompt and friendly email from Vanessa Pacheco, Public Relations, we were warmly welcomed in advance. Seniorita Pacheco had reserved some a la carte selections for us, and hopefully a great room and location in the Royal Golden section. I had a feeling that we were off to a good start with Vanessa's superior customer service, and it was later a pleasure for my wife and I to meet her in person.

Transat's flight from Toronto was great and quick. They treat you right. However, Cancun airport was a total jam-packed mess. We stood in very long queues for immigration and again for baggage scanning, with no help or direction from airport authorities. This was the worst airport arrival experience we've ever had in the Caribbean. Were they understaffed or did too many airplanes land at the same time? Don't know.

We planned in advance to use USA Transfers instead of the tour coach. USA Transfers is highly recommended by us - very smooth and friendly. The driver stopped along the way for a drink for us, so we bought him one also. Consider using a private transfer if you like to leave the airport promptly without waiting for your coach to fill up, or stop at a number of resorts on the way.

We arrived and unloaded at beautiful Akumal lobby and were met by friendly staff. As Royal Golden customers, [Royal Golden is a section of the Akumal Resort] we were picked up by a tram and taken to another smaller lobby check-in - The Royal Golden. There, we were warmly greated by Guillermo who offered us a cold drink. There's a 24-hour snack/lunch spot next door the the RG lobby, so we had a bite while they readied our room. The ocean's azure blue sparkling water is just steps from this snack/lunch restaurant. What a great view.

We were placed in a fabulous third floor sea-view, just as I had requested. Guillermo said with a chuckle that I should be able to see Cuba from the room. We found our junior suite very comfortable, clean and spacious. It had all the usual amenities of a junior suite, king bed, sitting area, nice balcony, washroom, etc. Everything was great - except I couldn't see Cuba.

We started off the evening with a meal at the buffet, where the menu was American. Lots and lots of variety and very tasty. As the buffet is centrally located for the Akumal resort, you may find it a little bit of a walk from the Royal Golden section. Now don't worry, as it is not a long walk - I call it a healthy walk - as all big resorts are spread out and the walking is great exercise anyway. This is also the breakfast spot for us, however we did visit many other breakfast spots througout the week, as you are free to do. You can visit any of the buffets, the Coba or the Tulum, and in high season, Akumal's Dolce Vita [Italian] restaurant also opens for breakfast. More on the Dolve Vita for breakfast and dinner later.

The next morning, we found the beach awesome. We're not really pool people, preferring to soak in the sun and fun of the sand and ocean. The Akumal section has a coral rock break-wall that creates a very nice swimming area, protected from the Caribbean waves. There are both natural pebbles, stone and sand bottom, with crystal clear water. Do you need water socks/shoes? Not really, unless you have the most delicate of feet. We roughed it barefoot and had no problem. We later found that the area closer to the break-wall has a total sand entrance to the water. Also in this area were plenty of tropical fish that were easy to photograph. Bring your own snorkle and goggles and you'll be rewarded with many fishy friends. It was fun to use my waterproof camera and capture fish hiding in the various rock sections and crevices of the coral break-wall. Compared to our visit at the fabulous Grand Palladium, we found more fish at Akumal section than at the GP beach. We think this is a great basic snorkel area, and we wish our grandkids were with us, as many families with children were having a grand time at this location. We realize one can go to Akumal beach and elsewhere in Mexico and snorkel over real coral, but for the convienence, this was another win for us and added value to our stay.

One evening, we ate at the Dolce Vita - and it was awesome. In a relaxed atmosphere, we were served by Eduardo, a young man with great personality. If you are in a hurry, stay home and eat at McDonalds or the Swiss Chalet. But if you like a multi-course delight which is about two hours, you will love it. Appetizers are great, and the tomato and minestrone soup are very tasty. Jane enjoyed the salmon - rating it a 9 out of 10, and she eats a lot of salmon. I had the steak and potatoes - a safe bet. We shared a third entree, the shrimp and polenta, which I rated a good 9 out of 10. Polenta is a corn meal served like mashed potatoes, but different. So tasty. Tiramisu for dessert with tea for Jane, while I had the flaming Spanish coffee, which was both a good fire show and a delicious ending to a wonderful a la carte experience. As I said, don't be in a rush - enjoy the soft sea breezes blowing through the open windows as you soak in the elegant atmosphere and tantalize your taste buds at the Dolce Vita. A smash hit at the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal.

Part way through the week, we found the full breakfast available for Royal Golden guests at the Dolce Vita a la carte. Apparently opening as the busier season begins, it is a very short stroll from the Royal Golden section, and we found all the tasty items we needed, in a very relaxed, uncrowded restaurant with great service.

Another highlight restaurant for us was the Gran Tortuga. They served sea bass and salmon, along with a fabulous selection of very tasty grilled meats, brought to your table on long skewers. This was easily one of my top favorite a la cartes at Gran Bahia. Make it one of your dinner choices!

All of out meals have been super. No matter where you go here, we saw consistent quality, cleanliness and service. We simply can't say what was the best restaurant, as many will ask. It's your personal preference that will decide for you. We just enjoyed them all.

The grounds are lovely, clean and a joy to walk through. We suggest you visit the Hacienda area any day or any evening and browse the various shops. Great spot to buy a sun hat or Mexican artwork. Near that area, you can also visit the sports, tennis courts and bicycle shop. We suggest you grab a couple of bikes and use them to tour the whole resort, as we did. It's an enjoyable way to see the place at your own pace, checking out all the lobbies, resturants and beach and pool areas. The trams will take you everywhere also, but it's nice to get your bearings on a bike.

Evening entertainment was the usual theme shows in all of the three lobby theatres. Michael Jackson was in fine form again, as were the other shows.

For a day excursion, we highly recommend the XPLOR park. Do your own research, but we found it a fabulous, fun day of jungle all terrain vehicles, underground caverns, rivers and over the jungle zip lining, including a great meal.

In conclusion, the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal delivered on all counts. Consistent value and relaxing atmosphere. Would we go again? Yes. You should put it on your list of places to visit in the Mayan Riviera.

We couldn't possibly thank all the staff by name who made our stay so comfortable, so we hope some are reading this review, and to those who are, we say, "Muchas Gracias".

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
RRPP A, Public Relations Executive at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear -Sir or Madame:

From all the team working at Gran Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya receive our most sincere gratitude for this amazing words shared with the rest of the travelers.

It will be a pleasure to pass your comments to the staff; We shall always remember your wonderful review about our services. For me it is an honor to read that all my arrangements were of your fully satisfaction.

Please write us a little mail before your next arrival, like you did it this last time, so we can prepare room as you deserve. We hope to receive you soon at your house in The Mexican Caribbean!

It will be a pleasure to assist you once again for your next visit

Receive my warmest regards y my fully apreciation for your kind words to our efforts.

Yours affectionately,

South Shields, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We are actually returning here on 3rd Jan 2013 and realised we hadn't left a review from last visit which was for a big family wedding end of October 2011. The fact that we are returning surely speaks volumes. We had a fantastic family holiday, with a wedding in the middle that was absolutely perfect in every detail, even the weather. The whole resort is so clean and well kept even down to the logo in the sand in the outside ashtrays! There was a large group of mixed ages yet we all found something we loved about the resort. The rooms were fab clean nice jacuzzi bath and balcony, safe a bit expensive mind but how do you price piece of mind, I do feel that a resort of this type should have a free safe, our family group was spaced out over the 3 sites but due to the little busses it is easy to get around to all areas and we didn't feel on top of each other. The beach is gorgeous and the beach bar with fresh coconut cocktails daily is just perfect and I can't wait to visit that again. The food was lovely the buffets were nice and the A LA cartes nice too although due to hurricane Rina we had to cancel some of them (but plan to try those out this time) the location is perfect and this time have upgraded to a golden room so can't wait to see our room overlooking the beach in fact just can't wait to get back just hope it is still as good cos sometimes things are never as good the second time but sure they will be and can't wait to see for myself. Roll on 03/01/2013 yayy

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
RRPP A, Public Relations Executive at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Sir or Madame:

On behalf of the staff and management of the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya we would like to thank you for nice comments and your loyalty to our chain.

We are very happy to know that you will be back soon, I am very sure that this experience will be another awesome time with us.

Please do not hesitate to send us a note with your wishes before your next arrival in order to give the proper follow up to your requests

Receive our warmest regards, from your House at the Mexican Caribbean,

Public Relations

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Akumal? Share your experiences!