“Fabulous Holiday!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Akumal

Save Saved
You added Grand Bahia Principe Akumal to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Akumal
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa AventurasCtra. Chetumal - Cancun, km. 250, Akumal 77760, Mexico   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #3 of 20 hotels in Akumal
Verwood, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Holiday!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We have just returned from a two week stay at the GBP Akumal and can honestly say it was the most amazing holiday ever. The complex is spotlessly clean and really beautiful. The staff are all wonderfully polite and cannot do enough for you, from the maids and cleaners to the bar staff and entertainment guys (Diego and Pedro, you guys rock!) Our room was lovely, we were in Villa 53 which was great. Close enough to the pool and restaurant etc. Our maid, Pedro was great. The towel art he produced for us each day was amazing.
The grounds of GBP are truly beautiful. This place is so big and yet it is kept in tip top shape. I loved seeing the wildlife running around, the Coaties are fun to watch as they eat the fallen coconuts.
Our first morning we walked early to the beach and the view was just breathtaking. Crystal clear waters and fish swimming around. It was great having the choice of either being around one of the pools, or being on the beach. We liked the activity pool as we liked the music and fun games that the team organised during the day. However, if you liked the quieter life, the other pools are peaceful. Getting around the resort is easy, you just get on a cart which takes you to the other lobby’s at Coba or Tulum or to the restaurants for your A La Carte’s. We found these to be first class. Arlequins was great. Both the food and service was great. We also went to the Brazilian where you have as much meat as you can eat!..(Gran Tortuga) Dolce Vita was good (Italian) Don Pablo (food ok but we found the service to be bad here..on the night we went, people actually walked out, but maybe they were just having a bad night) but on the whole, the food was really good.
The buffet dining was good, always plenty to choose from at every meal and all wonderfully presented. Again, the staff were all lovely and very friendly.
The evening entertainment was good. We enjoyed the Michael Jackson show and other shows at the show bar and Fernando was always on hand to fill our glasses with a cheeky smile.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this resort to anyone and would love to go back and I don’t normally go back to the same place, but I would definitely make an exception here. My son and I had an absolutely amazing holiday and would like to thank all staff at the resort for making our stay such an enjoyable one. We hope to see you all again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
RRPP A, Public Relations Executive at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear sallyann1963:

We want to thank you for your beautiful comments about your last stay at the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya

We want to assure you that the manager has already pass these amazing words to our personal to let them know the mentions to their excellent work.

It is great to hear that you are considering to come back; the whole team will waiting for you and will be honored to make your next stay special again, so please do not hesitate to contact us before your next arrival and we will do all our best to accommodate your wishes

Receive our warmest regards from your house at the Mexican Caribbean.

4,632 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (798)
  • Polish first
N Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed at this resort for 2 weeks at the end of Nov & had a great time. I emailed any requests I had in advance & Vanessa quickly replied, accommodating all of our needs - a big thank you to her.

All the other reviews have covered most of the points about location & friendly staff etc, however I would like to mention the 'unsung heroes' such as the gardeners who go unnoticed yet do an amazing job.

The previledge club did not bother me at all, as I know previous guests did mention them being a problem, but I certainly didn't have any issues. There is free wifi for everyone in the lobby which was great (if a little slow). The bar area provides tea/coffee & nibbles, even when the bar is closed, so you can grab a coffee & take it into the lobby while on the net. Also I never felt pressured into giving tips, all staff treated me well, regardless of whether I had tipped them or not.

There are just a few negatives, which for me personally, didn't really impact on the enjoyment of my holiday however I know future guests like to know:
A. The rooms are a little tired, but who goes on holiday to spend much time in their room anyway?
B. At breakfast it can take a little time to get a coffee/tea however the staff were always busy, so they weren't deliberatly ignoring guests.
C. On the rare occasion at the buffet you may get something that is cold, but like I say, it is very rare this happened. I think it happened to me once & twice to my husband.
D. Finally, & probably the most disappointing of my negatives, was the Tequila Restaurant. I had shrimp fettuccine which only had 2 shrimps in it & was very bland. All the other a la cartes where very good, so don't be put off.

I found the food in the buffet good, especially the healthy eating section. Sadly I did notice numerous guests using their hands rather than the tongs provided, however this is not the hotels fault, just the unhygienic practices of other holiday makers!

All in all this was a great holiday & I would definitely return. The positives FAR outway those minor negatives. I think this hotel offers terrific value for money & I wish I was back there now.

Dear Dyane69:

First of all, we would like to thank you for bringing to your comments about your last stay at the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya.

Definitely is the best way to assess and evaluate all the services that we offer. I want to thank you for the especial mention to my job, It is great to know that my arrangements were very useful to you. Please be assured that we will address your important suggestion to the departament involved to give the proper follow up to the areas need it.

We hope to have you with us in the near future, so Please do not hesitate to contact us before your next arrival, in the same way that you did it this time, and we will do all our best to accommodate your wishes and have everything ready for a very especial welcome.

Receive our warmest regards and our most sincere appreciation, from your house at the Mexican Caribbean.

Richmond, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We just returned yesterday (Dec 3rd) from our second one week stay at the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal. We stayed the same time last year and had a similar enjoyable experience (which makes for a nice consistent expectation when you only have a week a year).

We did change it up a little this year by booking in the Royal Golden section. It was only a few dollars more and we got an extra a'la carte and a great room that overlooked the beach. The other so called "perks" were not really evident to us, but we'd book in the Royal Golden again just for the aforementioned.

As most others note in their reviews, the complex is big and kept immaculate. A small army of friendly staff are constantly cleaning, entertaining and serving your needs.

As most are probably more interested in the negative aspects of a vacation resort, I'll touch on those, but keep in mind the positives by far outway them:

1) Rooms are a bit dated, ordinary and are starting to show their usage. The sound proofing between the units is not very good and you can especially hear your neighboring conversations when in the bathrooms (through the venting). Beds are very firm and only have an add-on foam topper. They are kept very clean by the housekeeping staff.

2) Room safes require the daily rental of a lock and key ($5 per day). Not a big deal, but most other resorts where we have stayed have combo/code locks that are free. Not a big deal aside from having to carry a key with you or hide it in your room.

3) Food is just okay in the buffets with little quality selection as far as beef and seafood. Chicken dishes are always dependable and pork is a bit hit and miss. Side dishes are plentiful and deserts are not that great. In the a'la cartes food is better (as you would expect), but the steaks and such lack the quality of true 1st class dinner that you may expect back home. Still good value, just don't over expect.

All in all the resort is great value for what it is. The things mentioned above can be resolved at some other resorts (we've stayed there too), but you can expect to pay a lot more. With that in mind we'll likely go back to the Bahia... maybe for two weeks next time?!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir or Madame:

Definitely is the best way to assess and evaluate our performance, and ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us. Reviews like yours, are the motivation for us to keep in the good job and improve the service for a better welcome in your future visits.

We invite you to contact us for your next arrival and we will have an especial welcome for you and your family, because our repetitive guests are the most valuable persons for our chain

Receive my best regards from your house at the Mexican Caribbean.

Oshawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We're a Canadian couple who really enjoy cruising, and have also been fortunate to visit a few Caribbean all inclusive resorts. We selected the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal [GBPA] Mexico for a November 2012 visit, based on our past enjoyment of GBP properties in Punta Cana. GBP provided great value and service there, plus Transat Vacations offered a very good price out of Toronto for Mexico. So off we went.

Our first good impression of GBPA actually occured prior to leaving Toronto, as we emailed to inquire on rooms and a la cartes. Receiving a prompt and friendly email from Vanessa Pacheco, Public Relations, we were warmly welcomed in advance. Seniorita Pacheco had reserved some a la carte selections for us, and hopefully a great room and location in the Royal Golden section. I had a feeling that we were off to a good start with Vanessa's superior customer service, and it was later a pleasure for my wife and I to meet her in person.

Transat's flight from Toronto was great and quick. They treat you right. However, Cancun airport was a total jam-packed mess. We stood in very long queues for immigration and again for baggage scanning, with no help or direction from airport authorities. This was the worst airport arrival experience we've ever had in the Caribbean. Were they understaffed or did too many airplanes land at the same time? Don't know.

We planned in advance to use USA Transfers instead of the tour coach. USA Transfers is highly recommended by us - very smooth and friendly. The driver stopped along the way for a drink for us, so we bought him one also. Consider using a private transfer if you like to leave the airport promptly without waiting for your coach to fill up, or stop at a number of resorts on the way.

We arrived and unloaded at beautiful Akumal lobby and were met by friendly staff. As Royal Golden customers, [Royal Golden is a section of the Akumal Resort] we were picked up by a tram and taken to another smaller lobby check-in - The Royal Golden. There, we were warmly greated by Guillermo who offered us a cold drink. There's a 24-hour snack/lunch spot next door the the RG lobby, so we had a bite while they readied our room. The ocean's azure blue sparkling water is just steps from this snack/lunch restaurant. What a great view.

We were placed in a fabulous third floor sea-view, just as I had requested. Guillermo said with a chuckle that I should be able to see Cuba from the room. We found our junior suite very comfortable, clean and spacious. It had all the usual amenities of a junior suite, king bed, sitting area, nice balcony, washroom, etc. Everything was great - except I couldn't see Cuba.

We started off the evening with a meal at the buffet, where the menu was American. Lots and lots of variety and very tasty. As the buffet is centrally located for the Akumal resort, you may find it a little bit of a walk from the Royal Golden section. Now don't worry, as it is not a long walk - I call it a healthy walk - as all big resorts are spread out and the walking is great exercise anyway. This is also the breakfast spot for us, however we did visit many other breakfast spots througout the week, as you are free to do. You can visit any of the buffets, the Coba or the Tulum, and in high season, Akumal's Dolce Vita [Italian] restaurant also opens for breakfast. More on the Dolve Vita for breakfast and dinner later.

The next morning, we found the beach awesome. We're not really pool people, preferring to soak in the sun and fun of the sand and ocean. The Akumal section has a coral rock break-wall that creates a very nice swimming area, protected from the Caribbean waves. There are both natural pebbles, stone and sand bottom, with crystal clear water. Do you need water socks/shoes? Not really, unless you have the most delicate of feet. We roughed it barefoot and had no problem. We later found that the area closer to the break-wall has a total sand entrance to the water. Also in this area were plenty of tropical fish that were easy to photograph. Bring your own snorkle and goggles and you'll be rewarded with many fishy friends. It was fun to use my waterproof camera and capture fish hiding in the various rock sections and crevices of the coral break-wall. Compared to our visit at the fabulous Grand Palladium, we found more fish at Akumal section than at the GP beach. We think this is a great basic snorkel area, and we wish our grandkids were with us, as many families with children were having a grand time at this location. We realize one can go to Akumal beach and elsewhere in Mexico and snorkel over real coral, but for the convienence, this was another win for us and added value to our stay.

One evening, we ate at the Dolce Vita - and it was awesome. In a relaxed atmosphere, we were served by Eduardo, a young man with great personality. If you are in a hurry, stay home and eat at McDonalds or the Swiss Chalet. But if you like a multi-course delight which is about two hours, you will love it. Appetizers are great, and the tomato and minestrone soup are very tasty. Jane enjoyed the salmon - rating it a 9 out of 10, and she eats a lot of salmon. I had the steak and potatoes - a safe bet. We shared a third entree, the shrimp and polenta, which I rated a good 9 out of 10. Polenta is a corn meal served like mashed potatoes, but different. So tasty. Tiramisu for dessert with tea for Jane, while I had the flaming Spanish coffee, which was both a good fire show and a delicious ending to a wonderful a la carte experience. As I said, don't be in a rush - enjoy the soft sea breezes blowing through the open windows as you soak in the elegant atmosphere and tantalize your taste buds at the Dolce Vita. A smash hit at the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal.

Part way through the week, we found the full breakfast available for Royal Golden guests at the Dolce Vita a la carte. Apparently opening as the busier season begins, it is a very short stroll from the Royal Golden section, and we found all the tasty items we needed, in a very relaxed, uncrowded restaurant with great service.

Another highlight restaurant for us was the Gran Tortuga. They served sea bass and salmon, along with a fabulous selection of very tasty grilled meats, brought to your table on long skewers. This was easily one of my top favorite a la cartes at Gran Bahia. Make it one of your dinner choices!

All of out meals have been super. No matter where you go here, we saw consistent quality, cleanliness and service. We simply can't say what was the best restaurant, as many will ask. It's your personal preference that will decide for you. We just enjoyed them all.

The grounds are lovely, clean and a joy to walk through. We suggest you visit the Hacienda area any day or any evening and browse the various shops. Great spot to buy a sun hat or Mexican artwork. Near that area, you can also visit the sports, tennis courts and bicycle shop. We suggest you grab a couple of bikes and use them to tour the whole resort, as we did. It's an enjoyable way to see the place at your own pace, checking out all the lobbies, resturants and beach and pool areas. The trams will take you everywhere also, but it's nice to get your bearings on a bike.

Evening entertainment was the usual theme shows in all of the three lobby theatres. Michael Jackson was in fine form again, as were the other shows.

For a day excursion, we highly recommend the XPLOR park. Do your own research, but we found it a fabulous, fun day of jungle all terrain vehicles, underground caverns, rivers and over the jungle zip lining, including a great meal.

In conclusion, the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal delivered on all counts. Consistent value and relaxing atmosphere. Would we go again? Yes. You should put it on your list of places to visit in the Mayan Riviera.

We couldn't possibly thank all the staff by name who made our stay so comfortable, so we hope some are reading this review, and to those who are, we say, "Muchas Gracias".

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
RRPP A, Public Relations Executive at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear -Sir or Madame:

From all the team working at Gran Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya receive our most sincere gratitude for this amazing words shared with the rest of the travelers.

It will be a pleasure to pass your comments to the staff; We shall always remember your wonderful review about our services. For me it is an honor to read that all my arrangements were of your fully satisfaction.

Please write us a little mail before your next arrival, like you did it this last time, so we can prepare room as you deserve. We hope to receive you soon at your house in The Mexican Caribbean!

It will be a pleasure to assist you once again for your next visit

Receive my warmest regards y my fully apreciation for your kind words to our efforts.

Yours affectionately,

South Shields, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We are actually returning here on 3rd Jan 2013 and realised we hadn't left a review from last visit which was for a big family wedding end of October 2011. The fact that we are returning surely speaks volumes. We had a fantastic family holiday, with a wedding in the middle that was absolutely perfect in every detail, even the weather. The whole resort is so clean and well kept even down to the logo in the sand in the outside ashtrays! There was a large group of mixed ages yet we all found something we loved about the resort. The rooms were fab clean nice jacuzzi bath and balcony, safe a bit expensive mind but how do you price piece of mind, I do feel that a resort of this type should have a free safe, our family group was spaced out over the 3 sites but due to the little busses it is easy to get around to all areas and we didn't feel on top of each other. The beach is gorgeous and the beach bar with fresh coconut cocktails daily is just perfect and I can't wait to visit that again. The food was lovely the buffets were nice and the A LA cartes nice too although due to hurricane Rina we had to cancel some of them (but plan to try those out this time) the location is perfect and this time have upgraded to a golden room so can't wait to see our room overlooking the beach in fact just can't wait to get back just hope it is still as good cos sometimes things are never as good the second time but sure they will be and can't wait to see for myself. Roll on 03/01/2013 yayy

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
RRPP A, Public Relations Executive at Grand Bahia Principe Akumal, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Sir or Madame:

On behalf of the staff and management of the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya we would like to thank you for nice comments and your loyalty to our chain.

We are very happy to know that you will be back soon, I am very sure that this experience will be another awesome time with us.

Please do not hesitate to send us a note with your wishes before your next arrival in order to give the proper follow up to your requests

manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from this resort, we stayed in the Akumal. The grounds and facilities are 1st rate as is the accommodation. The staff are very polite and hard working. The best al a Cartes are the Italian, and the international (Arlequin). The food in the buffet areas is very good with a wide choice. The drinks are branded and the cocktails all taste great! The size of the resort is huge with different beaches, pools and entertainment to explore every day. This is probably the best all inclusive we have ever stayed in, we will definitely take a 2nd trip there! A must is a night at Coco Bongos in Playa del carmen, there's no place like it!

Dear Sir or Madame:

On behalf of the staff and management of the Gran Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya we would like to thank you for letting us know that we have exceeded your expectations and that you have left the hotel feeling totally satisfied.

We will pass your lovely comments to all the staff, because It is important for us to let them know that their efforts are appreciated by our guests.

Thank you very much for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back. Please do not hesitate to send us a note with your wishes before your next arrival

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This Christmas my family and I are booked to stay for two weeks at the Bahia Principe Akumal. This will be our 4th visit to this extravagant resort. This year we will be accompanied by our family friends for their first visit. My husband and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary and could not think of a better location.

The resort is immaculate and the staff have always gone out of their way to welcome us and ensure our stay has been memorable. There are activities for our teenagers to keep them occupied and entertained in addition to shows that will knock your socks off. We are thrilled to make the trip back to the resort. This is our second Christmas vacation at the Bahia and if you plan to attend Christmas Eve is the "celebration" night. Food and drink as far as the eye can see. You have more options than you can imagine.

We highly recommend this resort for your next Mexican escape!

Room Tip: Any room facing the ocean.