Our first trip to Mexico for our honeymoon and we stayed in the Akumal resort of the GBP 1st – 16th October. Thanks to an email the week before and Vanessa at the Hotel, we were upgraded for free to a ‘golden junior suite’ – villa 71. Check in at the hotel was very efficient and the welcome cocktail was much appreciated!
We were very happy with our room; spacious, clean with a huge bed and good view from the balcony – forest on one side and you could see the ocean through the trees. Our housekeeper (Deja if the management read this!) did a really good job and surprised us every day with different examples of towel art. I think returning to the room every day to find it spotless and refreshed is worth a daily tip – we left around 20 pesos a day – same for waiters etc that look after you.
It is a very large resort but lovely to walk around and explore. We hardly used the golf buggies at all as we enjoyed strolling around and walking off the food and drink. The buffet restaurant at Akumal was great and even as vegetarians we found enough to enjoy. There are different sections e.g. Chinese / sushi / Mexican / kids / Italian and chefs cooking fresh pizza and pasta etc, brilliant. We didn’t visit the a la cartes due to a lack of vegetarian options so perhaps this could be improved upon. A previous reviewer made a good point that serving staff dedicated to serving and refreshing drinks would be a good idea.
The beach near Akumal is lovely, though I would recommend taking some shoes to wear e.g. when going snorkelling. There are some beautiful fish to see and the staff painstakingly collect seaweed in the mornings that has been swept ashore. Similar with general maintenance of the resort grounds – everything is kept neat and tidy, which is admirable in a place this size.
October is certainly not the main season for Mexico; however the pool sunbeds were always all reserved by 9am and the buffet restaurant etc were starting to get much busier towards the end of our stay. The sunbed issue shouldn’t be a worry though as there are always plenty on the beach – a mere few strides from the pool areas.
We took a taxi to Akumal (‘turtle’) beach which is idyllic and a must-see. We were encouraged to either pay to be part of a snorkelling group or hire snorkelling equipment and a life jacket. We had our own snorkels so did our own thing. Without paying for the ‘compulsory’ life jacket you are discouraged from exploring certain areas of the sea so we stayed out of the way but were still lucky enough to see a couple of turtles – stunning.
We also booked a Tulum trip and underwater world experience with Thomson. Both were very good – Tulum is very interesting and the second part of the trip was one of our holiday highlights – a few hours at a private beach club with (much needed after a morning sight seeing in the heat) ice cold drinks, salsa, nachos and an idyllic setting of white sand beach and the greenest sea you’ll ever witness. If we visit again I would definitely try to reach the nearby Tulum beach by ourselves; just gorgeous.
The underwater world was also excellent – snorkelling in a refreshing underground cenote in the rainforest first (make sure to use insect repellent – we were feasted upon on arrival) then to Akumal beach to swim with sea turtles and sting rays. Another highlight of our trip!
We enjoyed lovely weather; humid of course but hot and sunny. Only 2 days of the 14 were a little overcast. Any storms came over quickly (and you know they are coming from the sudden winds and amazing cloud formations) but soon pass over. Didn’t struggle too much with mozzies which surprised us but we did use jungle formula repellent.
We love to see the wildlife – coatis, iguanas, beautiful birds, the guinea pig-type animals, but you are encouraged not to feed them - an instruction many of the tourists fail to remember.
All in all it was just what we were after and we’re hoping to return at some point to the Riviera Maya – the longer transfer time is well worth it in our view.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 swimming pools 4 jacuzzis 2 children's swimming pools Solarium with sun umbrellas and sun loungers BAHIA SPA (additional charges apply) Sports centre: a gym, 5 tennis courts, bicycles Motor sports (additional charges apply) Aquatic activity and diving centre Entertainment amphitheatre Wi-Fi access in the lobby (1 hour free per day per device) and with an additional charge in the rooms Buffet restaurant opposite the sea 3 a la carte restaurants 9 bars Cocktail Lounge Riviera Maya Golf Club: 18 long holes and 9 executive holes with lakes, cenotes and Mayan jungle Hacienda Dona Isabel: karaoke bars, shows, live music and a night club Rooms 630 spacious Junior Suite Superior rooms. Equipped with: Two full-size beds or one king-size bed A living area with sofa A fully fitted bathroom: shower, washbasin, dryer and magnifying mirror Hydro massage tub Bathrobe and slippers (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Pool towel (to be enjoyed throughout your stay) Balcony or terrace Air conditioning Ceiling fan Direct-dial telephone (additional charges applicable to external calls) Radio alarm clock Flat-screen TV Mini-bar with mini alcoholic beverages (included) Coffee set Safe (included) Ironing set 24 hour room service Butler service (upon request) Evening turn-down service Pillow menu Wi-Fi (additional charges apply). Children Bahia Scouts Children can enjoy facilities designed especially for them: Children's swimming pool Mini Club (children aged 4 to 12) Mini Disco in the evenings Bahia Scouts Water Park Teen's club (children aged 11 to 16) Other services An internal mini-train service providing access to all the facilities: 24-hour medical service (additional charges apply) Pharmacy (additional charges apply) Personalised menu options for celiacs and diabetics Specialised wedding, anniversary and event planning service Casin ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Travelocity so you can book your Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principle
- Bahia Principe Mexico
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel Akumal
- Mexico Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Grand Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Bahia Mexico Principe
- Akumal Gran Bahia Principe