High-lights: Clean nice grounds, not enough pool side chairs, not enough bar tenders, wild cats, poor room A/C, hard pillows and bed, and helpful staff.
This was our second and last stay at Gran Bahia. Our room was ready for check in when we arrived just before 3:00 pm local time. Many hotels will not let you check into your room before 3:00 pm. We had a third floor room the stairs to the room were not an issue, well lit and clean. The A/C in the room did not work well. Even with the ceiling fan on our room never cooled down. The TV cable was not connected, I had to remove the connector and install the cable correctly so the TV would work. The pillows and bed were hard as rocks. The cooler in the room was stocked on most days. The grounds of the resort are well kept and there is work being completed each day to keep the grounds looking nice. The trollies running almost nonstop throughout the complex so getting around is not difficult. The swimming pools are an OK size and clean. At the pools there are not enough chairs, to the point that people were sitting and laying on the grass. What chairs there were, were reserved by sunrise. By 8am, all the chairs were taken. I’m on vacation, not there to play games like musical chairs. We did not eat at every restaurant however I recommend the La Gran Tortuga. The meat at the La Gran Tortuga is served via meat swords (Brazilian style I’m told). The food is great! There is a wild cat problem; each restaurant and snack bar there are wilds cats hanging around. We saw the wild cats jumping on tables grabbing food and going in and out of the open windows at the restaurants. It doesn’t help that some guest were feeding the cats as well…..idiots. The bar tenders were good but each bar was under staffed. We will not be returning to Gran Bahia. If you go plan on going keep these points in mind; no available pool side chairs, many kids, long waits at the bar, lots of walking, take your own pillow, but good restaurants.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Booking.com, Priceline, Tingo, Travelocity, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, BookingOdigeoWL and Agoda so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Akumal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Principe Akumal
- Bahia Principle
- Bahia Principe Mexico
- Gran Bahia Principe Hotel Akumal
- Mexico Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Tulum
- Bahia Principe Riviera Maya
- Bahia Mexico Principe
- Akumal Gran Bahia Principe
- Grand Bahia Principe Akumal Riviera Maya, Mexico