When we arrived we were asked to provide a print out of our room info in order to check in, which we did not bring. We were exhausted from traveling and said we only had our e-mail confirmation, which we thought would be good enough. (The front desk was very dismissive and sent us to the concierge desk) We spent 45 minutes trying to check in as they said they could not check us in if we didn't have a printed out paper with our information. We ended up logging on to e-mail through a laptop, emailing the confirmation to the concierge where she finally printed it out. No one apologized for the delay. We were then told that we were in fact NOT staying at the Grand, but in another location. We waiting for a golf cart which took us to a less flattering hotel an 8 minute walk away. Our room was small, the view was of a maintenance area/wall and we had no shower curtain, no hot water. Our air conditioning unit starting leaking in the middle of the night, soaking two of our suitcases and dripping on our bed. My boyfriend's parents who were traveling with us complained, and had their room upgraded for 60$ a more a night, and were all given upgraded wristbands to allow us to use some of the previously off limits bars/pools. (their upgraded room also had no hot water).
The wrist bands were a terrible thing. Such a strange and uncomfortable thing to walk around with a bright orange wristband, while others wear a black one and have access to more of what the hotel has to offer. There were A LOT of Italian travelers with very loud and plentiful activities specifically there for them and as Canadians we felt that we did not take priority at all. (Very weird)
The front desk was useless, we witnessed three young boys (ages 10 or 11) abusing the iguana's which live on the ground (Throwing coconut at their heads to crush them!). We were very upset and told the front desk immediately. They said they would take care of it, but no security was sent. We complained twice more and the children were still allowed to roam the grounds terrorizing the animals and plant life unsupervised.
The disco was very empty, and not much going on after 10pm.
The good things (There were some) The beach was beautiful, lots of fish to see if you have a snorkel! The staff working there were all great! We always tipped well because they truly were really good at their job. The food was good, always fresh and surprisingly yummy.
Despite the nice beach and staff, I would never recommend anyone to book a stay here with Sunwing. We tried to leave the resort as much as possible.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "People say I'm gorgeous, but that's just how nature made me: fresh and beautiful, with a price that's definitely down to earth. I run with the quiet crowd, away from the bright lights and hustle, but my beach is the most extraordinary paradise you can imagine, with its amazing shape and coral reef, and spectacular scenery all around. Bring the family: spend time at my spa while the children check out my super new Kids' Club". ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Orbitz and Despegar.com so you can book your Oasis Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Be Live Grand Riviera Maya Hotel Akumal
- Grand Oasis Riviera Maya Akumal
- Oasis Grand Rivera Maya
- Grand Oasis Riviera Maya Hotel
- Club Oasis Akumal
- Oasis Akumal
- Oasis Grand Riviera Maya Hotel
- Oasis Tulum Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico