“Food poisoning, Mold, & Mildew!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Tulum

Save Saved
You added Oasis Tulum to your Saves list
Oasis Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km. 251, Akumal 77780, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Grand Riviera Maya)   |
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Freeport, New York
“Food poisoning, Mold, & Mildew!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband & I purchased an all inclusive 5 day trip to get away & celebrate my 40th birthday. We believed this to be an upscale resort only to find that our oceanfront room with beach access directly from our room was a terrible choice...Upon entry into our room I detected a smell of a mold/mildew in the air but ignored it thinking I was being overly sensitive. WRONG!!! I began to unpack some of our clothing to find green mold growing on the walls & hangers in the closet & on the towels & bed linens that were in our room...I immediately called the front desk to complain. They came within a few minutes & did some minor surface cleaning & changed our linens & hangers. They left air freshener with us to spray if the mildew smell returned. We decided to go get something to eat and let the fumes die down. We ate at the one of the restaurants & returned to the room & was thirsty so I opened the refrigerator to get bottled H2O only to find mold all over the bottles & the inside of the refrigerator! Uugh! Now I'm really grossed out & asked for a room change. We were advised because of our room location being a premium room with beach access that "someone" must have left the door open without the air conditioner on so that's why the room was contaminated with the mold etc.. Our next room was supposedly better. We transfer to a room down the hall to find the same disgusting smell of mold masked with air freshener...I asked for bleach & linens that were just washed and proceeded to change my own bed linens & towels so we could finally get some sleep. Around 2am I begin to feel queasy & found my husband was awake with the same symptoms....Oh great!!!! By 8am we had full blown food poisoning!!! What a nightmare with one bathroom!!! Leaving out all of the gross details & the pain involved with food poisoning we had to get the front desk to call a doctor to our room around 12p who confirmed what we already figured out & left us with meds. We stayed one more night to in hopes that we could regain our strength & hold down some liquids in an effort to get the heck out of there!!! Thank God we did & booked the next flight back to NY..my husband was still so weak he was unable to walk but nonetheless we insisted on leaving before checkout. Finally returning home gave us some comfort..We have two bathrooms at home:0) 3weeks later, 30lbs lighter, & $3200 spent we resolved that we will never return to Grand Oasis Tulum, Mexico and never recommend anyone else to!!!

Room Tip: If you can handle the smell of a moldy locker room 24hrs a day book the oceanfront... the views are...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Katty:

We are very sorry that we haven't met your expectations, we would like to sincerely apologize and inform you that all your comments and opinions are considered in order to improve our service.
We are glad we had the opportunity to solve all the inconveniences you encountered during your stay, this way we were able to enhance your experience and change your perception of our service.

We would be pleased to welcome you again on your next vacation.
Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Mississauga, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

After having been to over 15 All Inclusive resorts, this was the first one where I was asked to pay extra for a Safe lock, use of various restaurants at the resort, even the use of the lobby!
We arrived, anxiously looking forward to having a coffee in the front lobby only to learn that it was not available for us. We would have to go over there. Once there, we were asked to even go to another area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest:

We would be pleased to welcome you again on your next vacation.

Best regards
Sturtevant, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I am going to try to give a very accurate review. Please do not believe all the negative reviews. I was terrified to come here because of all the terrible things I read. The beach is wonderful. If you enjoy snorkeling you will really like this resort. We went out everyday and saw sea turtles, butterfly fish, squid, sting rays, sea urchins, flounder, and plenty of other cool sea life. They have equipment you can use and go out on tours that are offered 3x/day. If you bring your own equipment bring fins because the current can be strong. The staff were wonderful. They were so nice and friendly. Josue (not a mispelling) was the best bartender. He makes a delicious bloody mary. The food was good. Nothing phenomenol, but nothing was bad either. I recommend the Mexican restaurants. This is my 4th trip to Mexico and it was my favorite. If you have teenage boys, BEWARE. There are some women walking around topless but only a few while we were there. The room that we stayed in was fabulous. If you want a really beautiful view upgrade to an ocean front room. It's worth it. I could go on and on, but I think I got the main points across.

Dear Guest:

We are pleased to greet you and at the same time thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit. Likewise express our appreciation for the flattering words we received from your stay with us.
We are glad you liked and enjoyed our entertainment and our specialized service. Our staff works really hard to make every single one of our guests feel at home and make sure they have an amazing experience.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you once again in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

My girlfriend and I planned a vacation to Mexico and ended up landing a decent deal through Sunwing.ca. We booked our 1 week vacation stay at the Oasis Tulum Resort in Riviera Maya. The resort lobby was very classy and upscale not your typical Mexican themed lobby. The view of the infinity pool was stunning as it seemed to be overflowing into the ocean right behind it. The staff were efficient and polite. We were very happy with our garden view room as it was on the ground floor and we had a nice porch to lay out on. The rooms were clean but very average and could have used more lighting. There was a flat screen TV in the room. There was sufficient hot water and water pressure to take a reasonable length shower with the exception of one time when I went to shower and there was no more water. I later found out, that they were refilling the pool at that time which caused the water shortage. In the morning everyone seemed to wake up between 6AM and 8:00AM. I'm a very light sleeper and was woken up by 6:30 every morning as you could hear right trough the walls on each side and above. No chance of sleeping in while hearing everyone getting showered and dressed. They had a bunch of activities listed each day which was nice. The beach was beautiful and apparently very good for snorkelling as it is surrounded by a reef. The good was also good. Although, we only had the choice of two a la carte restaurants and the buffet. More restaurant selections would have been preferable. I also enjoyed a relaxing massage at the Spa. If you go, make sure to ask for Lucio. He is very good at what he does.The only real big downfalls for a couple of women in their mid 20's was that no one ever went to the Disco. It was dead every night. Of you're looking for a calm resort where everyone is in bed by midnight. This is the place to go!!

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Lynn:

Let us thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. Such opinions helps us know our weaknesses in order to improve in the future. We regret the inconvenience occurred during your stay. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel to enhance your perception.

Lloydminster, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I had one of the most amazing experience there. The staff was superb, the buffet was amazing and all around great time! there was a few hiccups but that was with sunwing not the hotel staff. We are planning our 2nd trip there with our daughter and we are so excited. i would recommend this hotel. The rooms were nice, we stayed in the cheaper hotel which was a little distant from the main hotel however we were still treated like gold

Room Tip: ask your travel agent where your room is located. If it is not in the main hotel you may have to wal...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Nathaly:

We greatly appreciate the special mention of those members of our team who helped make your stay more pleasant. We will surely congratulate them for their great job.
They work hard for our guests to remember their experience at our hotel with a huge smile.

We are delighted you enjoyed our calm and relax atmosphere, and glad you had a pleasant vacation overall.

Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I'm going to keep this simple.
Pros:
-Staff are extremely friendly
-Resort is very nice
-Beach is a great place for snorkeling
-Plenty of beach chairs
-Always food available
-Reasonable distance to most excursions

Cons:
-Rooms are dated (not a big deal as you are only there to sleep)
-Food is mediocre at best (unless you like bland food)
-The resort is not close to anything.
-2 hours bus ride to/from the airport
-Unless you book at the Grand Oasis, you don't have a large choice of restaurants and much of -The resort is off limits to you.
-Right after we checked in, we did not even get to our room, hotel staff was trying to get us to take a 90 minute tour of the rooms so they could try to convince you to pre-book our next vacation with them.

This is not a 4 star resort. I have stayed at the Barcelo up the road from the Oasis and THAT is a 4 star resort. The Oasis is a 3.
Although not a horrible place, I would likely not book here again, as I know there is better out there for close to the same price.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are located at what they call the "Casa Club" Avoid these are they are...
Dear Denis:

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with us. We want to know that every day we are making changes and improvements to our hotels to provide our guests with excellent service. We look forward to see you again in our hotel to enhance your experience.

Best Regards
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Do NOT believe all the horrible reviews you hear about this place.. some people just complain way too much. This was my second time to the Mayan Riviera and we absolutely loved the food (pretty much stuck to everything Mexican and it was fabulous). If you're eating American food and you don't like it, take a look at where you are! Eat the Mexican food, its amazing! We found that our room was large, clean and modern and the air conditioning and the shower worked perfectly. We had a very cute small gecko in our room one day and we loved it (people complain about this.. maybe you shouldn't travel). Loved the pool and the beach.. and I cannot praise the staff enough, they are absolutely amazing! Lovely, lovely people. I would like to give a special shoutout to Hector (entertainment staff), Edgar (wait staff on the buffet patio) and Josue (bar staff). These people are amazing. The resort was the perfect mix of relaxation and fun for all ages. My only complaint is the preferential treatment towards the Italians at the resort.. this was annoying.

Overall, I would DEFINITELY stay here again. Great price, great people, great food, clean, beautiful grounds and beautiful beach. Very fun and we were very sad to leave! Thank you to everyone at the Oasis Tulum!

Room Tip: Choose a room with garden view.. not casa club!!
Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we know the great importance to you and your family mean your holiday, so we are honored to have received in our hotel.
We hope to visit again in the not too distant future.
Best Regards

Been to Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!