“LOVED IT!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Tulum

You added Oasis Tulum to your Saves list
Oasis Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km. 251, Akumal 77780, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Grand Riviera Maya)   |
Special Offer
Over 50% Secluded Resort
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Halifax, Canada
“LOVED IT!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Do NOT believe all the horrible reviews you hear about this place.. some people just complain way too much. This was my second time to the Mayan Riviera and we absolutely loved the food (pretty much stuck to everything Mexican and it was fabulous). If you're eating American food and you don't like it, take a look at where you are! Eat the Mexican food, its amazing! We found that our room was large, clean and modern and the air conditioning and the shower worked perfectly. We had a very cute small gecko in our room one day and we loved it (people complain about this.. maybe you shouldn't travel). Loved the pool and the beach.. and I cannot praise the staff enough, they are absolutely amazing! Lovely, lovely people. I would like to give a special shoutout to Hector (entertainment staff), Edgar (wait staff on the buffet patio) and Josue (bar staff). These people are amazing. The resort was the perfect mix of relaxation and fun for all ages. My only complaint is the preferential treatment towards the Italians at the resort.. this was annoying.

Overall, I would DEFINITELY stay here again. Great price, great people, great food, clean, beautiful grounds and beautiful beach. Very fun and we were very sad to leave! Thank you to everyone at the Oasis Tulum!

Room Tip: Choose a room with garden view.. not casa club!!
Atención C, PR at Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we know the great importance to you and your family mean your holiday, so we are honored to have received in our hotel.
We hope to visit again in the not too distant future.
Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Owen Sound, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Just ret'd from this resort last week--Food was good beach nice --Overall resort was average...Problem was Our group was told this was an all inclusive resort and much to our surprise it was not--We were not served alcohol at the main lobby bar and could not partake in a couple of the al la carte's--hmmm? After much discussion with the hotel staff we were able to upgrade to include at least the meals. We were also put @ the far end of the resort which was no big problem except that we stayed in the same building with the staff???!!! We all just felt like we were treated like 2nd class citizens!!! When u pay that kind of money we should be able to be staying @ the oasis Tulum which is what we were told we booked--We did not get what we paid for!!! The staff @ this hotel were great--Not the hotels fault but Sunwing should get their advertising correct!!! All this after sitting on a bus @ the airport for an hour waiting on people that were outside enjoying a few bubblies!!?? Inconsideration or what??

Room Tip: Make sure when booking this hotel/vacation--that it is all inclusive!! I will try to avoid Sunwing...
Atención C, PR at Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Tobi,

We are sorry to hear that your vacation did not go as planned. Please allow us to take this opportunity to inform you of the difference between both of our categories. Our Oasis category provides access to a host of restaurants, bars and facilities while our Grand category offers a greater variety of options to enjoy, these can be found on the hotels website. Any Oasis guest has the opportunity to upgrade to the Grand category if they wish to. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to our resort in the near future. If there is anything we can help you with please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

We just spent 7-days at Oasis Tulum from Feb.17th with another couple and 3 of her girlfriends. Us and one of the girlfriends have been to Mayan Riviera before. We range in age from late 20s to early 50s (me). Our weather was great, no rain and able to enjoy the beach every day.

Our gardenview room on top 3rd floor, clean, but I did not look under the mattress sheet. No off odours even though a sewage treatment smell outside our door couple nights. The A/C worked fine all days. The small flat screen tv worked fine in our rooms. Good enough to get weather forecast and keep tabs on winter olympic results on an American NBC station. Yeah team Canada hockey and curling teams. Bathroom towels are white but old and discoloured. Not great lighting in room, a table lamp each side of bed and track lighting above the window curtain rod. Bar fridge not plugged in and not stocked. No coffee pot in room. Two bottles of water are left in bathroom each day. The shower did not work second night only trickled hot-water, but worked fine after. Plumbing fixtures in bathtub/shower are dated and dripped. Toilet worked fine in our room. Our friends had trouble with theirs but was repaired in short order by maintenance. Room safes are 70-pesos per day extra charge when traveling with Sunwing from Winnipeg. The suite door should have a sweep on the bottom to keep out any reptiles, smells, etc. There was a good 3/4" gap under the door. None of these resorts has enough plug receptacles. I had to unplug the lamp on my side to plug in my CPAP device. Then you have to unplug other stuff if charging, cameras, laptops, cell phones. If you have a problem with stairs you better ask for a ground floor room. No elevators here.

The available day entertainment team is in Italian and caters to Italians only. They did call the bingo numbers in english also one day when a couple of us played. Guess we need to book thru the Italian agency to get any attention. The children daycare only provided to Italian speaking guests which peed-off an english speaking couple that had children. We did not see the night entertainment but heard it was good. The disco was dead and playing techno stuff, I asked them to play something from 70s but forgot those brutal disco tunes. Needed something along ACDC Thunderstruck. If you can't get dancing to that, you just can't dance.

Restaurants limited to two ala cartes if not a Grand guest. Buffet is limited and repetitive. I was disappointed with temperature of hot food, but usually find buffets all over like that. No stomach troubles by any of us. Bacon on only couple of mornings but I avoided it because it was very fatty variety. My wife took few pieces and cut-off the fat, yuck. There was a drip edge above the hot grill that dripped condensation over where you would place your plate waiting for the cook. That can't be good.

Bar drinks first night tasted soapy to me. But not after that first night. Don't know why mine did, think it may have been the mix. The bartenders were good.

Our friends used the pool and swim-up bar and enjoyed it. There was some rowdy's there but did not get way out of hand. Wife and I don't spend time at pools and found the beach busy with the usual lounger hogs placing towels and effects on them and you don't see them for hours, if at all. Any way I would pull our loungers into the shade provided by the palapas because the hogs aren't there to move theirs with the sun location. No trouble, as no one ever showed up to challenge us that we took their spots under the palapas.

There is a lot of broken coral and rocks in the beach water and two of us cut our feet, shins, knees. Something stuck me in the foot thru my beach slipper in the water. I only hope it was one of those urchins and not something like a syringe needle. I saw another post saying they saw a syringe wash-up on shore one time.

Some of my griping is due to this being a low-cost resort I know. But we won't return. This resort needs investments here that improve plumbing, electrical, restaurant exhaust over the cook, etc. They need to do something to welcome non-italian participants at the beach day entertainment.

Room Tip: Tell them you want hot and cold water in your bathroom.
Dear Guest:

We are truly sorry for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. We appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience; this helps us know our areas of opportunity so we can provide better services to all of our guests.
It is nice to know you liked our calm and relax atmosphere and that you enjoyed the pool area and the beach.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the future to enhance your experience and perception of the Hotel.
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

After reading a few reviews from past weeks, I was a little concerned about the quality of service in this hotel. From rude lazy staff to sewer smells… I read it all a bit too late, because we had already paid for our vacation from Feb 8 to Feb 15/2014
I soon realized there was nothing to worry about and a lot to look forward to.
The place is beautiful, spacious and surrounded by exuberant green vegetation. My first WOW was the entrance itself, then the reception. My next WOW was our room. They gave us a free upgrade to an ocean front room. We just opened the curtains and there was the most beautiful view of palm trees, white sand, a small pool, the Caribbean Sea and infinite blue skies…
The buffet options were pretty good. We had access to two buffet restaurants. No complaints… they offered plenty of choices. I particularly fell in love with the oven baked pizzas at the Italian restaurant and with the fresh made omelets which were delicious in both places. The personnel were friendly and hard working. One of our waiters at the Italian buffet was Rubicel Vazquez. He was always ready to look after his patrons with an ample smile. He was fast, efficient and very friendly. I have only good things to say about him.
We had the option of making reservations at two fancier restaurants: one Mexican and one Mediterranean. They were both outstanding. We ended up making three reservations during our week stay. The service was excellent and the food to die for.
Oasis Tulum had a different show every night. We attended four of them. They were all very good. The professional dances, the music and the colorful outfits worked together for quite impressive shows.
We had no issues with lounge chairs availability, as reported by other visitors. We had a couple of those chairs just for us in front of our sliding door. We didn’t use them very much though, just a couple of times and not for long. We prefer to take long walks on the beach, rather than sunbathing on a lounge chair.
The snorkeling was fabulous. There were beautiful reefs right in front of the hotel. There were guided tours supervised by professionals. This service was included in the price.
This hotel is located in the far south of the Mayan Riviera. The ride from the airport will take over an hour. On our way down, we were the last ones to be dropped off and on our way back to the airport we were the first ones being picked up. So we spend a bit of extra time on the bus on our first and last day or our trip. But this is exactly how we planned, because we had great interest in visiting the Mayan ruins of Chichen Iza, Coba and Tulum, so the location was perfect for us. For our guided tours, we were the last ones on the bus and the first ones out.
Not all was perfect at the hotel. There was nothing serious enough to ruin our holidays, but worth mentioning to offer a fair review of the place. I was surprised to notice that by the end of our second day our room had not been made yet. No big deal. I had made the beds in the morning and we kept the room tidy. I ran into one of the maids and mentioned it to her. She told me that they were short of staff and in the process of hiring new people but if I reported it to the supervisor they would make sure our room was cleaned in the morning. I asked her not to bother with the cleaning for the day. I just requested our water (we were entitled to two small bottles per day). After the third day or so, things started to improve and the rooms were made early. We did have issues with the shower. At times it seemed like the hot water took over the cold water and then shut down completely, leaving us to finish our shower with only cold water. My husband reported this problem. The next day the problem persisted. He ended up adjusting the thermostat himself to control the water temperature and did not report it again. Nobody contacted us back to check on the water temperature.
One last comment, beware of membership presentations. You will probably be approached to attend an orientation, which is actually a sales presentation offering a vacation membership. The incentive in our case was to get a no charge car rental for two days, if we agreed to listen to the presentation. People were very nice and not extremely pushy; however, if you decide to buy into this membership make sure you read every paragraph of the contract before you sign. We noticed that some numbers from the verbal presentation did not coincide with the terms of the written contract. The explanations were long but not clear enough. We were ready to sign but ended up withdrawing from the agreement because of obvious discrepancies between the contract and the sales presentation. We still got to enjoy the free car rental for 24 hours, which gave us plenty of freedom to visit additional places of interest.
All in all, this was a great holiday. I highly recommend the Riviera Maya and Oasis Tulum. I would go back there in a heartbeat.

Olga Indacochea

Room Tip: Ocean front was beautiful and quiet. Also close to buffet restaurants
Dear Olga:

It is amazing to know that your stay with us has motivated to share such a great review about our hotel. Thanks for highlighting those qualities that made your stay unforgettable.
We are glad you enjoyed the restaurants, facilities, entertainment and personalized service we offer. Our staff is always working hard to satisfy our guests so they can have an amazing experience.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you once again in the future.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Just returned from two weeks in Oasis Tulum. Expected something horrible but was more than surprised. As usual if you want Canadian or American standards, it's not there, but if you have been to Mexico before then it's great. We lucked out and got a great room in the family fun building. Ground floor, nice little room, king bed, and a great patio. It was quiet and the walk did us more good than harm. I cannot say enough about the staff. They were always friendly and went out tof their way to help and meet your needs. We had a great waiter (Roselin) and great hostess (Estela) in the Italian buffet. They made our stay well worth it. The food was good, always something to eat. The beach is beautiful, good snorkling and good sand. Our bartender on the bech (Ali) was friendly and helpful all the time. We would return there for sure. The grounds were always clean and lots of staff keeping everything in good shape. Don't be afraid to go, be afraid not to go!!!!

Dear Burke:

We are pleased to greet you and at the same time thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit. We are extremely glad you enjoyed the restaurants, rooms, facilities and public areas of our Hotel.
We will submit your comments to the departments so we can fix the inconveniences you had with the air conditioning, this way we can keep improving day by day to offer our guest better experiences.
Hope we can see you again soon.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed here with my boyfriend in February 2014. As far as these resorts go, nothing special. Food was a notch above the usual, though my boyfriend would disagree, he wasn't pleased with the variety, especially at breakfast and lunch.The beach wasn't bad, however, especally compared to the beaches in the resorts right next to us, which were even more expensive. The pool was a good size, but not huge.The beach chairs were extremely uncomfortable, and wouldn't go down flat.The service wasn't great-- we are not picky people, and generally don't cause problems, but we needed two things during our stay. Our alarm clock didn't work, and we needed one for an early trip the next day. We requested one, and never received one. Then there was no cold water whatsoever, so after I got scalded, I called the office to ask someone to come up and fix it. "Sure, will send someone right away". Three hours later, no one ever showed up. Oh, but someone called no fewer than 3 times to find out if anyone had ever come. If they were as diligent about fixing things as they were about calling, we would have had no problems. The only bright spot was Michaela, who at least tried to help and was very pleasant. The last surprising thing was that for "only" $27 more a day, we could "upgrade" to be able to eat in 5 more restaurants! Apparently, there is a Grand Oasis Tulum side, for more priviledged people, so if we wanted to, we could have upgraded. (Rolls eyes). All in all, not a bad trip, but as usual, you get what you pay for.

Atención C, PR at Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Guest:

We appreciate you for taking the time to share your comments; this helps us know our areas of opportunity so we can provide better services in the future.
Furthermore, we would like to let you know we are very devoted to our guests, and the staff is committed to understand, help and satisfy all of your needs. Thank you for letting us know the inconveniences you had so we can enforce and improve the service, since your comfort and satisfaction is really important to us.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for any setbacks you experienced and hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again so we can enhance your perception of our hotel.

Courtenay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

After reading reviews for the previous weeks before our holiday, I was getting concerned that we had made a mistake by booking here. It seems that our only mistake was believing the bad reviews. If you don't know how far the resort is from the airport in Cancun, you haven't done your research and it is not the resorts fault. We booked a private transfer and were at the resort in about an hour. My first impression of the lobby was, wow, it's big, check in was quick. Two bellmen took our bags to our rooms and gave us a quick tour at the same time. We had requested garden view close to our friends, that's what we got. The rooms were clean, a/c worked fine, as stated by others they are a bit dated, but we didn't care. Your beach towel is already in your room. All we really do in our room is sleep and shower anyway. One day in our two week stay there was a lack of hot water, it was just after everyone had left the beach and pool and were all showering at the same time. The staff is wonderful, always with a Hola or buenas dias and a smile. They work very hard. Just to mention a few Jesue at the pool bar, Noe the ice cream and hotdog man, Ali and Tibo at the beach bar, Dulces event co-ordinator. Thank you for the great holiday. The pool always being cleaned was refreshing. I walked the beach all the way past the bahia, the beach at the Oasis is the best. Clear water for snorkeling and nice sand, except in front of the grand rooms, where it is rocky. The drink selection is good and if you want something special and you know how to make it they will make it, they never ran out of anything we asked for. We never ate at the ala carte because the food at the buffets was very good, I gained 8 pounds. The food at Happy's chicken pretty good as well. I hadn't eaten sushi for over 20 years because of a bad experience, but it was good enough to have it for lunch 3 days in a row. The pizza in the Italian buffet is very good. We talked to a timeshare guy once for about 5 minutes and never felt any pressure to attend to meeting. The only downside to the resort is, the 70 peso per day charge for the safe lock,(hint to management add it to the cost of the room and no one will complain if they don't know they being charged for it). No free Wifi, I understand that it is subcontracted to an American company. And my biggest complaint, THE DREADED TOWEL GAME, you have to be up at 6 am if you want chairs with shade at the beach. There were lots of people that would reserve there spot at 6, show up at 11 for a hour and leave again. When I walked past the bahia I saw signs saying not to do this. If there was a towel card system and had to pay for a missing towel it might curb it. All in all a very good resort. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: The Casa section is quite far from the main area.
Atención C, PR at Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Ron:

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you once again in the future.
Best regards.

Been to Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!