“Everything you read here is correct !” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Tulum

You added Oasis Tulum to your Saves list
Oasis Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km. 251, Akumal 77780, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Grand Riviera Maya)   |
Special Offer
Winter Sale: 40% Off!
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Halifax, Canada
“Everything you read here is correct !”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We returned on Feb. 2 after a week at the resort, we were very nervous about our trip based on the recent reviews but tried to stay positive and hoped for the best. Unfortunately all of the reviews are correct - the beach is beautiful, and the outdoor eating areas are nice, the majority of the staff try hard but there is only so much they can do with a run down, under-staffed resort. We had fantastic weather so it did make up for everything else the resort lacked. I have traveled south 7 times over the past 10 years and this resort is pushing a 3 star at best with a 4.5 star beach! The Grande section is a bit nicer but not worth what you would pay to stay there. I would suggest the Grande section is pushing a 4 star at the best. If you are already booked here and are expecting 4 - 4.5 star Caribbean standards, I would suggest trying to change your booking to something with better reviews. if you are are happy to enjoy a nice beach and nothing else matters you will be fine !

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Atención C, PR at Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear guest

We regret the trouble you had during your visit. We will consider all comments and reviews to meet their expectations in the future. We appreciate the time to leave your comments and hope to see you again soon.

We reiterate our thanks.
Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

The staff at this hotel is excellent, very freindly and welcoming. This is a calm hotel and that's what it says it is, so if your looking to party this isn't the place. Nice hotel clean with a nice beach with a pool right on the beach. Food at the buffet is very good with very good service. We didn't like the beach room they are too old and the balconies need to be replaced by new ones. The garden rooms are very nice and clean. The pools are big with pool bars. No problems with getting towels and there are full of chairs and shade on the beach or pool. Adding comfortable chairs at the Mexican restaurant and bar would be nice. The day that they will restore the ocean front rooms this hotel will become the best calm resort of all reviera maya and cancun. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Any of the garden rooms
Atención C, PR at Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Langlais:

It is amazing to know that your stay with us has motivated to share such a great review about our hotel. Thanks for highlighting those qualities that made your stay unforgettable.
We are glad you enjoyed the restaurants, facilities and personalized service we offer. Our staff is always working hard to satisfy our guests so they can have an amazing experience.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you once again in the future.
Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

My friends and I booked this trip and I read the trip advisor reviews afterwards. I expected the worst when we got there and was not surprised when we were put in the Casa Club (which some of the staff also stay) which is about a good 10 minute walk from the main resort. They upgraded us to black bracelets so we could eat at any of the a la carte restaurants and made us sign a waiver so that we could not take any legal action against the hotel. They said they were overbooked and there was nothing else they could do.

The main complaint was the sewer smell and damp rooms. There was also never any food at the casa club and the coffee machine was always on the fritz. You had to go up to the main hotel to get food.

My friends and I talked to many other Canadians who were staying there. We discovered that most people who had booked months ago ended up staying at this casa club, and anyone who booked last minute ended up staying at the main resort! We were flabbergasted. We made the best of it and were in our rooms as little as possible, only to shower and sleep (oh and our shower broke twice so we had use our friends rooms to shower! )

There is definitely a communication barrier between Sunwing and this hotel. By talking to Mario (a hotel rep) he let slip that they always overbook and seem to consistently have this problem!

So all in all, be careful of this one! The pictures look beautiful, but that may not be what you are getting!!!!

Travellers beware!!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Lissy:

We would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion about your experience. We regret not having met your expectations and please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences during your stay. All your comments are fully considered in order to improve our range of services and facilities.We look forward to welcome you again to show you all of the great shows and activities we have planned for you.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

My wife and I book last minute and got a great deal here .1st time to Mexico so we had our doubts but when we got there we got a free up grade to a room on the beach (like 15 ft from the water).for myself I don't care too much for rooms/pools/food/bars. but my wife wants everything to be perfect . I LOVED everything about the place so did my wife (thank god ) the staff really does a good job making you feel welcome and are very helpful. We only went for 5 days so we stayed at the hotel most days just did 1 tour that Sunwing provided for free it was a 5 hrs or so bus trip to Playa Del Carmen the only catch to this was there was a stop at Lapis jewelers for 1 and half hours to waste $$$ and time everything there was four times or more compare to home but the Playa del Carmen was very beautiful but lots of times share hounds best to not say hi to them and don't buy your liquor there the Airport is way cheaper. overall Mexico was very good and we are already planning our next vacation there. I think you get what you pay for. if you read the bad reviews on here you will never go anyplace just go and be open minded if you want better places you have to spend the $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Room Tip: beach front is the way to go or pay extra for the Grand Tulum and get the sea view rooms looks very...
Dear Guest:

It is a pleasure to know that we exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed our dining options, entertainment and especially our excellent service.
We are proud to say we have a staff always ready to give their best at all times and create positive experiences for our guests.

Hope to see you again soon and do not hesitate on contacting us if we can assist you with anything on your next stay.

Armstrong, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

I recently stayed at the oasis tulum for 7 days with my husband and two boys. I booked the hotel prior to reading reviews on here, and the min reasons I choose it was because it was close to akumel and I knew the beach would be beautiful. The ocean is that turquoise blue and the beach is fantastic. Bring water shoes though because the reef is so close and lots of dead coral gets washed up, making walking in the water difficult. There are some oceanfront condos just to the side of the resort that the resort has been purchasing so we end up getting an oceanfront condo right on the beach, which was fabulous. This is a much smaller resort than what we are used to, so my husband really liked that part. The pool is nice and the swim up bar is awesome. The best bartender there by far is josue and he treated us very well. I found most of the staff at the resort to be helpful, but some were not. One of the security officials actually made fun of my husband trying to speak Spanish which I thought was quite rude. There are lots of things to do during the day, from yoga on the beach to water arobics, volleyball, boche ball, eat. Benci was great at trying to get everyone involved. The food here is mediocre at best, I found it very repetitive. I know lots of people say that about resort food but this was the most repetitive I have come across so far. When you are booking make sure you understand that if you do not book grand you will only have access to one pool and two a la cartes. This made the food situation much more boring. The grand side had a specialized coffee shop, martini bar and I think 5 a la cartes to choose from. We book through sunwing (which was a joke and I would never fly with again) and bought a excursion though the rep while were were there. He ended up overcharging us and booked transportation when we were clear we had rented a car and didn't need it. My husband didn't notice they overcharged until after we went, but they refused to refund us back the 75 extra dollars. Would I stay here again? Possibly if the price was right.

Room Tip: Get oceanfront! You won't regret it!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for sharing such detailed comments with TripAdvisor’s readers, we feel completely honored that your stay was amazing.
We greatly appreciate all the suggestions you mentioned, they certainly help us improve in order to satisfy the expectations of our future guests the best way possible.
It is a pleasure to know you enjoyed our dining options, activities, facilities and especially our excellent service. We will surely congratulate our staff for always being attentive, smiling, and making you feel at home.

We would be pleased to welcome you again on your next vacation.
Ypsilanti, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

We found a great deal to stay at Oasis, however, there were a lot of basics that were lacking. Most of the problems were things that should be expected at a nice resort; things that are basics... There was no consistent hot water in the bathroom, a dripping faucet, missing lamps, no free internet, not thorough cleaning done by the staff, understaffed bars with long waits (no pool bars ever opened), no coffee in the room, not enough bathrooms close to the beach, broken rail on our room's balcony, a terrible shower, no convenient available drinking water accessible throughout hotel at all times...Take care of some of these basics for a resort and you have yourself a place worth coming back to over and over. If these things remain under-average, then you will lose customers quickly.

I would also like to compliment a few employees that made our stay tolerable with their kindness and effort: Michaela and Moises at the front desk, Fernando (bartender at Sarape) Ben and Hector, and Ali (bartender everywhere). Your company has a gem in its employees but that alone will not keep people coming back - you need to address the basic expectations that I mentioned above.

Dear Guest:

We are very sorry that we haven't met your expectations, we would like to sincerely apologize and inform you that all your comments and opinions are considered in order to improve our service.
We are glad we had the opportunity to solve all the inconveniences you encountered during your stay, this way we were able to enhance your experience and change your perception of our service.
We would be pleased to welcome you again on your next vacation.
Best regards
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Ok, I just got back from Oasis Tulum last night. I think Id like to do a solid review because I was extremely skeptical and worried about this hotel when reading it... so I went in expecting the worse. I think it did better then the 1 star everyone is saying... but then again I went with a group of friends that made this trip a fun party and booze trip.

Im 27, and went with 6 other friends all around same age, so we were looking for bit of a fun atmosphere. This place is mostly an older crowd, Id say 45+. If your looking for a hotel with fun, then this isnt it, unless you make your own fun.

There is a Grand side which has a better pool and more a la carte options and has access to a coffee/espresso place and a martini bar with far better liquor options. That said, at the rate of bumping it up for $40 a night when we got there, wasnt worth it to us.

The rooms, were beautiful in my opinion. Walked in and had a nice look, and we had a balcony view of the garden and pool area which was fine since we spent no time in our room. The cleaning was excellent considering how much sand we probably brought in. The hot water issue does happen... there were 2 times where the water was either cold or luke warm. Another issue we found was I guess when we ran tap water there would be a weird sewage-ish smell or something a bit foul, nothing over bearing but a little ick.

The staff is amazing, we really were warmed up to the bar staff of course as we were always there. The staff that had positions to deal with customers directly generally spoke good enough english to have conversation with.

There are lots of Italians as someone posted and I think the resort caters to Italians as they had what it seemed Italian guides or entertainers that would hang out with them.

The food as someone said is well buffet, it also did feel like there were a lot of pasta and rice options. I generally get tired of buffet food by day 4, and it did feel like the food options were quite under valued.

The place falling apart? I didnt see this at all maybe I missed it though.

The pool needed to be cleaned more as there was some spots of Algae growing. But it was a nice temperature and the bartender there was great.

The hotel is far from Playa, so I found as someone trying to budget my extra spending it was a pain to get to places. The collectivo (local bus/cab things) were cheap, but took time... and our group was to big for taxi so we had to pay a $60 shuttle cost if we wanted to get to Playa. And theres nothing around the resort to walk to to shop or eat etc etc.

The beach was beautiful and had quite a bit of space for chair seating, but you would have to go somewhat earlier to guarantee that as it seemed most people were claiming seats by 7am. There was some rocks at the shore which made going in at the start a bit rough, we didnt venture out much into the ocean so Im not sure further up. They do allow you to snorkle for free and take kayaks and foot pedal boats out though. We managed to see a few stingrays right up at the shore line and with their coral Im sure you could see some neat little fish.

I guess overall the hotel wasnt that good when you read my review, I just had great company with me that made it really fun. The staff there was great aswell. If I went with just my GF I think the distance and lack of anything close would be the deal breaker for me. If you want to relax though and sit in the sun and just eat and drink this could be a decent choice. Theres probably better options though for the price.

Another little thing that sucked was $6 per day safes... I think that should be free as its to protect against theft of your valuables.

We booked out vacation through a flight agency that went through Sunwing Vacations. The bus ride is about 2 hours from the airport as on the way in you drop off everyone down which for us was about 5-6 stops.... us being the last.... and of course on the way back to the airport we get picked up first and then do the 5-6 stops again.

Room Tip: Maybe look for different hotels in same price range and check reviews.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Atención C, RP at Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Garrett:

We are truly sorry for the inconveniences you had on you recent stay. We offer our sincere apologies. Please note that all of your comments and opinions are very important to us and will be submitted to the right department to take the necessary actions to correct them and provide new options for you in the in the future.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel to change your perception of us.
Best regards.

Been to Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!