“Second and last visit!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Tulum

Save Saved
You added Oasis Tulum to your Saves list
Oasis Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km. 251, Akumal 77780, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Grand Riviera Maya)   |
Special Offer
FREE Upgrade + EXTRAS
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Incline Village, Nevada
“Second and last visit!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We were at this resort one year ago and thought it was better than it's reviews indicated, and I wrote to defend it. Not this year! Last year the food and drinks were good and plentiful. This year the food was barely edible and the liquor is all off brand stuff that is undrinkable. It is a real shame because the location is lovely with a great beach, nice pools and beautiful grounds.
Some examples:
Morning coffee and juices are not very good, OJ tasted like Tang!
There is no Kahlua, only tequila with coffee beans floating in it! Table wines were totally undrinkable, the red had actually turned and was brown.
The salt shakers are all empty, the olive oil is rancid, there is often no butter for toast at breakfast
Couldn't even get a hotdog for lunch, nachos and club sandwich were awful, hamburger was almost warm and tasted like filler.
At dinner the Mexican restaurant had no Pico's de gallo for the fajitas
A year ago they offered complimentary champagne at dinner, this year they try to sell you upgraded wine.
There is a $30 charge for five days of Internet when it is free everywhere in the world!
The AC made both of us sick, which happened last year also. I thought it was only a cold but this year we both needed antibiotics to clear a sinus infection after we left Oasis. It makes me wonder what might be growing in their AC system!
Our sympathy to all the wonderful staff, they work hard and they have to deal with the unhappy guests. I'm sure they are overworked and underpaid, and if this club goes under they will be unemployed thru no fault of their own.
How interesting that they respond to these reviews by saying how dedicated they are to customer satisfaction. In fact nothing seems to be improving even after numerous complaints on this forum. We asked to speak with a supervisor at checkout but they were all in a meeting. No doubt trying to figure out how to "save" more money at the expense of their guests and staff.
We are not fussy or demanding people and we chose this resort because it was a bargain off-season. We didn't expect first class but we did expect to enjoy our visit as much as the previous year, and unfortunately we did not.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Atención C, PR at Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Karen:

We regret not having met your expectations, so we offer our sincere apologies and inform you that all your opinions are taken into account in order to improve our services and meet the expectations of our guests in a more complete and effective.

Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Mulmur, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband and I travelled to the Oasis Tulum the week of October 26th with the promise of a free upgrade by Sunwing. I usually never travel this time of year due to the weather but both my husband and I were exhausted and stressed from work. I have travelled all over the world and know what to expect when I do... but I did not expect what we got here. Was it a great deal, yes...were they honest with what to expect...absolutely not. When we arrived we were greeted at the desk by a very unfriendly person named Rafael. He did not smile or welcome us. He offered no information like where we could find some lunch or the fact that half the hotel was shut down. When I mentioned the free upgrade he played dumb and then when I pushed said it was only if they had something available...not sure what that meant because an upgrade was a just a different colour wrist band ( which is totally stupid and frustrating) Oasis lose the wrist band gimmick... This would have made it possible to eat at all restaurants. This also would have been a huge help since half the restaurants for people with only an orange band were closed and we had very little selection. We were then taken to this god awful room that had no hot water for 2 days and was so damp the floors were always wet and slippery. I almost killed myself one day when I slipped.. When ask to move several times Rafael lied and said the other sections were closed. I had already met guests staying in these sections. I have been to Mexico at least 5 times and have never been treated by a front desk clerk like this ever.....After wasting my time going to the desk several times he finally let us move 3 rooms over and again no hot water. He said to upgrade us would be $150.00 a night which was a complete joke because I already knew 2 families from my flight that were given an upgraded room for nothing... I made several attempts to bring up the free upgrade and he just refused. Other guest however were given better rooms (Ocean front) and upgraded bands. By this time I was furious and was letting it ruin my vacation. I was there to distress and was doing the exact opposite. What I didn't do was make a huge scene as I promised my husband I wouldn't. Believe me when I say I was not the only one upset. When I went to the Sunwing Rep he didn't care in the slightest. He didn't even know our flight home information. All he cared about was trying to sell us a tour. I will be taking my family of 7 on vacation next November and believe me I sure won't be taking them here. If this wasn't bad enough I came home with a terrible ear and sinus infection and a nasty cold. I could say a lot more but I think you get the idea.
On a good note, the beach was beautiful and 90% of the staff was great. I also met some great people, Hi to Mat, Cassidy, Sue, Clayton, Helga and Romeo.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms beside the swamp.
Atención C, PR at Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear July:

We are truly sorry for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. We appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience; this helps us know our areas of opportunity so we can provide better services to all of our guests.
It is nice to know you liked our calm and relax atmosphere and that you enjoyed the pool area and the beach.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the future to enhance your experience and perception of the Hotel.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I've never been so disappointed in a resort.

Sometimes it’s difficult to choose a resort because comments range from “it’s the greatest”, to “never again”.
We decided to book the Oasis Tulum because if we traveled in the month of October we'd be given a free upgrade to the Grand. The upgrade was only for the room, it did not include the other perks that come with a stay at the Grand. We could not go to the la carte restaurants unless we paid for the meals. The room was very nice looking, and it was clean, however we also experienced the overwhelming musty smell that others have described. We found that having the AC on helped with the smell somewhat, but the AC was so loud I didn’t sleep for the first two nights. I also discovered that when I arrived back home, I brought the musty smell with me. All of my personal belongings had a stench.

Although the Oasis advertises several restaurants, and two buffets, and a few snack bars, there was only one buffet and two a la carte restaurants. For lunch we had a choice of Italian or the snack bar. The only time the snack bar was open was for lunch. Dinner was either the buffet, which seemed to serve the same food everyday, or Italian, or Mexican. The sushi bar and the Happy Chicken were closed the entire week we were there. Every resort I've been to there was always food available at any given time, not at the Oasis. If you want a snack at at 3:00 in the afternoon, you're out of luck, because everything is closed.

I have to add, the staff were very friendly and were very helpful.
The evening entertainment was great.
The beach, spectacular. We wondered out to the beach around 10:00 every day and never had a problem getting a lounge chair. The infinity pool is as beautiful as the pictures on the site. The garden view is heavenly.

Will I be returning? No

Atención C, PR at Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Guest:

We are truly sorry you had an unpleasant experience during your vacations. We appreciate you for taking the time to share your comments; this helps us know our areas of opportunity so we can provide better services in the future.
Furthermore, we would like to let you know we are very devoted with our guests, and the staff is committed to understand, help and satisfy all of your needs. Thank you for letting us know the inconveniences you had so we can enforce and improve the service, since your comfort and satisfaction is really important to us.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for any setbacks you experienced and hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again so we can enhance your perception of our hotel.

St. Catharines, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We traveled from October 14-21.
Overall, our trip was very good. Food was great, Drinks were plentiful, ...what more do you need!?! We did get an upgrade to the grand side which did help. We only went to the Italian and Mexican a la carte's once, as we were more than satisfied with the buffet. Lots of selection.
Not sure what the rooms look like on the 'non' grand side, but our room was clean and spacious, and the bed was comfy.
We also really liked the location of this resort as it was close to many things in the area such as, the ruins of Tulum, Coba and Muyil, Ziplining, Xel-Ha and Turtle Bay. All of which we took advantage of! It was an awesome experience. There is also a bunch more stuff in the area to do, ...or just relax on the beach! The beach is really nice here! Of all the other resorts that we walked along, I think our beach was the nicest.
If I were to suggest improvements within the resort, I would say to improve the glass railing system that is in sooo many places around the resort. Although they are aesthetically pleasing, they are large panels of glass attached at the bottom only. Making them a little too wobbly for my liking. One of the first things I told my Girlfriend when we got there was to be careful around the railings. Especially when you have had one too many drinks!
Overall, it was a beautiful resort in a good location, for a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Room 2242 over looks pool areas and you get a small bit of ocean view between the buildings. Very ni...
Atención C, PR at Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Guest:

It is amazing to know that your stay with us has motivated to share such a great review about our hotel. Thanks for highlighting those qualities that made your stay unforgettable.
We are glad you enjoyed the restaurants, facilities, entertainment and personalized service we offer. Our staff is always working hard to satisfy our guests so they can have an amazing experience.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you once again in the future.
Etobicoke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We just returned on October 12th and had a wonderful time. We were told when we arrived that our rooms had been upgraded to the Grand side but the restaurants were still limited to the Oasis side. We had a large ground floor room facing the pool by the spa. The A/C worked great and the rooms were very clean. We were left bottles of water every day. We had one night when the shower wasn't working but we were able to shower in another room while they fixed it. We had no complaints with the food. We didn't notice the lack of A/C as we always sat outside to enjoy the view. The a la cartes were good and the service exceptional. The drinks from the beach bar on the Grand side were amazing. Thanks to Ricardo for the best grande pina coladas ever and the woman that helped him at the bar. We even had nachos served to us on the beach. Manuel Lopez the supervisor also looked after us. The beach was one of the best we have been to in the Mayan, very clean and crystal clear water. The Happy Chicken restaurant on the Oasis side was a nice quiet little spot with tasty food and friendly service. Overall we had a great time and wouldn't hesitate to go back. We can't speak for the rooms on the Oasis side but we did enjoy the pool and bar on that side. Thanks to Alex one of the managers for explaining the colour coding on the wrist bands and taking the time to talk to us and make sure we were happy.

Atención C, PR at Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Murray:

We appreciate feedback to us through this medium. Your opinion motivates us to give our guests a high quality service. We are delighted to have met your expectations and that your stay was enjoyable.

We hope to see you again.
Best Regards
Dayton, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife and travel quite a bit and stay in the Playa area often and we unfortunately have to say that the Grand and the Oasis Tulum is the worst overall stay we have had. The food was subpar, the accommodations on the Oasis side are rough. We met couples staying on the Grand side who had just as much trouble as we did including having to be move to different rooms on 3 different occasions due to the smell. Upgrading was of no help because even there best rooms were not all that. We upgraded to the black bracelet which gives you access to all the restaurants but half of them were never open or only open 1 or 2 times during the week. The food was bland and there was no air conditioning anywhere except in your room so the deserts were always melting and chilled foods spoil after being subjected to heat for long periods of time. Rather nasty. We ended up eating out quite a bit. There are couple of great little restaurants in Akmul. We recommend the Cave of the Fisherman.

On the flip side, the service was amazing. The staff went above and beyond to make the stay as pleasant as possible. They work there butts off with what little resources they have to work with.

Lastly, the beach is the best we have ever had! It made all the bad tolerable.

Room Tip: Sian Kahn room at the grand or 1st floor at the oasis are your best bet.
Atención C, PR at Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Matthew:

of our hotel.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We arrived today on October 8 few hours ago . We stayed in the Oasis Tulum. The room was quiet and faced the internal pools area, #2326. The check in was a breeze with Ms. Vanessa at the reception. The A/C was working but the last few days not to the full capacity. The cleaning was good. Overall the hotel is very clean and neat. The food in the restaurants was always fresh and enough, a lot of meat of different types, salads, mexican homemade style cheeses and traditional mexican food. Thanks to waiter Emmanuel we were getting all orders quickly and with good service. The wines-- red and white dry wines were very good. The cocktails were very well made, Cuba Libra, Mohito, Pina Colada. We watched only two shows: the Mayan theatre and the Carribean dancing, it was extremely attractive and professional, we regret very much we did watch the other ones. The organser and the host of the shows Rai, a young fellow from Bolivia was great and very entertaining. Free snorkelling sessions are provided on the beach at the lifeguard and towel tower. We had it with two instructors, one of them was Fabio, an italian with the British accent, living now in Mexico. He was very professional and caring during the whole session. If you feel fit for a one hour swim, do it, amazing, the reef is very close from the shoreline, it takes about 45min to 1 hour. They have sessions at 11 am, 12 pm, and 4 pm. The towels are available always, no problems at all. The sunbeds under the beach huts were always available at any point of time. We we went to Xcaret, the theme park, the zoo, the beach combination with the nice night show, the free lunch included, several restaurants available with different cuisine. A nice place to see but a bit tiring , you start at 8 a.m. and arrive at 10 pm. There two very good jewellery stores Lapis and Matis, both established by the Turkish business, an abundant selection with superb and unique design, nice discount policy. There were holydaymakers from different countries: Argentina, Columbia, Venezuela, Quecers, Torontonians. The beach is great, the water is crystal blue, you swim surrounded by the exotic fish. The taxi service in Cancun is quite expensive, from Cancun to the hotel the fare is $155.00 for two people. We enjoyed the whole stay in this hotel and want to say thank you to staff. Everyone wet met was friendly and helpful, I wished I had known the Spanish language better. There were some drawbacks in the service, they missed the cleaning our room on the next day of our arrival, the did not call when we requested an early wake up call, the faucet and the the shower curtain are not good, the water is spreading everywhere. The hotel at night looks dark, especially the lobby, I would make it brighter and put two pool tables and make and a social spot at night. We assume the hotel knows about these problems and will fix it soon with a high season coming. The bus from the hotel to the Cancun airport was way too long, more than 2 hours for 100 km, collecting people from different hotels.
P.S. Don't forget the duty free shop at the airport with a nice selection of the mexican silver.

Room Tip: talk with the reception desk when checkin
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Atención C, PR at Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Vittorio:

Thank you for your kind comments. We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your vacations in our hotel and we are delighted to have met your expectations.
We are glad you enjoyed our daily activities since we work really hard to keep our guests entertained and make sure they have an amazing time with us.
It is gratifying to receive such great comments regarding our staff; we will surely congratulate them for their terrific job.

Hope to see you again on your next visit.
Best regards.

Been to Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!