“Highly disappointed!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Tulum

You added Oasis Tulum to your Saves list
Oasis Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km. 251, Akumal 77780, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Grand Riviera Maya)   |
Special Offer
Winter Sale: 40% Off!
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
“Highly disappointed!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

I visited the grand oasis for five nights in April with my partner, two-year-old child and mother. upon arrival, the resort appeared nice. The lobby was nice and we were immediately greeted and offered drinks. We got there early (1pm) and was told our rooms weren't ready yet ..they recommended we go get something to eat at the buffet and told us our luggage would be delivered to our room so we went to the buffet and got something to eat... came back about 3 pm the rooms were ready and we went to our rooms the luggage didn't immediately follow...took some time before It showed up we had to call And actually go to the lobby to get my childs bag so that we could change her. At first the room seemed okay then that night the AC was not working well and the light above the windows flickered all night long. The tub did not drain properly when you showered and then one evening we had a toilet stoppage ..called the front desk to report they said they would send someone no one ever came that night I called again in the morning and Had to call again finally someone came. We were not impressed at all by the food. the service was horrible for the most part all of the restaurants were understaffed, as well as the buffet. We expected at least decent Mexican entrées but were disappointed. On the morning of our third day my 64 yr old mother went to get breakfast and coffee at the buffet and ended up tripping and falling and hurting herself. Apparently they had removed a glass partition and an area of the dining room but didn't remove the metal partition holder on the floor which my mother ended up tripping over. after she fell the hotel staff brought her to the lobby they called me. They initially tried to make her pay $150 for a Dr visit at the hotel. After I saw what she tripped over and that there was no signage of caution I said no...she will not be paying. this is clearly the hotel's fault it was an accident waiting to happen. They then agreed to cover all the medical expenses. the Dr recommended she go to the hospital to get x-rays done and be looked at by a specialist. The hotel immediately tried to get her to sign a waiver releasing them from any legal pursuit. They offered her a free stay at any oasis resort for the same length of time as our stay but my mother was not pleased with that ...she didn't want to return to their hotels she wanted to be compensated while she was there they ended up upgrading our rooms to the oceanfront suites. Nicer rooms but not without issues..After we returned from the hospital ...a whole day wasted ..dr told her to stay off her feet the rest of the day- possibly the next day to reduce swelling in her knee and icing. told to use a wheelchair around the resort to go eat. My mother was highly upset her vacation was ruined and wanted to be compensated further. went back to the manager and demanded a refund for the remainder of her stay. The manager told her he couldn't refund it at first because of how we booked it ..my mother wasn't buying that she insisted and miraculously he was able to do it after back-and-forth for a while. After this whole ordeal we began to notice lots of maintenance issues- accidents waiting to happen -the resort has a lot of work to be done unfortunately many other people will probably end up being hurt because of negligence. They need to hire a lot more staff overall. employees are over worked and appear burnt out....cant possibly provide outstanding customer service under the circumstances. Overall not recommended. Go somewhere else if you expect quality accommodations, service and food.

• Stayed April 2013
Atención C, PR at Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Guest:
We sincerely regret that you have had this negative experience at one of our hotels. Please note that your comments will help us improve the service and thus fulfill the highest expectations of our guests in our facilities. We reiterate that we always keep in touch with you and your comments are always taken into account to improve our service.
We Hope to see you soon to change your perspective of our hotel.
Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Lake George, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We got the deal of the century for our week at the Grand Oasis Tulum in April. We waited to book our vacation until the very last date possible. We booked a Garden room and were delighted with it. The day we got there they had had some sort of flood in the front desk/ reception area and the marble floor was treacherous. Be very careful when those floors get wet, it worth your life walking. We really liked the Garden rooms over the ocean view as we had balconies and the ocean view do not. The pools are nice, but not made for swimming, all are very shallow. We had Black bands which were the same as the Gold bands and had full access to everything in the resort. We did have a problem with having to pay extra for certain foods in the restaurants, no matter what color bands you wore. I found the food to be so so, not great but not bad. The breakfast buffet was very good, lunch and dinner not so good. There is an Asian menu available at lunch and we really enjoyed that, you can also order off the Whimpy's menu at lunch in the buffet area. Now on to the bars, we decided there must be a problem with Mexico and decent vodka as everytime we ordered a call vodka they seemed to be out of it and they would subsitute another brand, then in a little while lo and behold a half a bottle would appear from the back room. We had a couple of up Martinis a piece and they did not even affect us, makes you wonder just what is in that vokda bottle! As for beer, having to pay $3.00 for a Coors light or Hieneken kinda bugged me too. We ordered Corona on draft for the first couple of days, then we were told they don't even have that on draft!!! What ever beer was on tap was cold but very light. Pool side service was great!!! The Rooftop Bar seemed to be very popular, and the bartender heavy handed with the booze. They also kept running out of wine by the glass, but guess what they had plenty of bottles they could sell you...
The resort itself is beautiful. The beach is very nice, there are some parts that have a lot of coral, but on the whole very easy to access the water without water shoes. Do take your snorkel gear, we never saw a place you could rent or borrow from the resort. And yes you do have to get out by sun up if you want a decent spot on the beach with lounge chairs and shade!!! The pools don't seem to be as popular, although a lot of chairs have towels on them all day and never occupied.
We had fresh water, beer & soda everyday in our room. We rented the safe and returned it the same day as our lap tops would not fit in it. $30.00 for internet for 5 days. If you want an ironing board, just ask the front desk and they will bring it to you. I would go back in a minute to this resort. Hope my rambling helped.

Room Tip: Garden Rooms have nice view of the pool and gardens. They have balconies.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Atención C, PR at Oasis Tulum, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Guest:

It is amazing to know that your stay with us has motivated to share such a great review about our hotel. Thanks for highlighting those qualities that made your stay unforgettable.
We are glad you enjoyed the restaurants, facilities, entertainment and personalized service we offer. Our staff is always working hard to satisfy our guests so they can have an amazing experience.
We hope to have the honor of welcoming you again once again in the future.
Best regards.
Murray, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My wife and I went to this place the end of april. this is a beautiful place, very beautiful rooms very clean and well kept. It has a very beautiful beach. But the service is very poor due to the lack of help, and the workers are very hard to understand. But travelers beware this place is full of thieves. The nights we were there, there were several people freaking out because of stolen items out of their rooms along with mine and my wifes souveniers out of our own room. If you had a good experience I would consider you one of the lucky ones. Very beautiful land and resort and has lots of potential. Room service is additional cost! our bar was not stocked daily, we didnt get our slippers, fruit or any of the extras that we were suppose to when we booked our room. When we read the reviews on this resort we thought that it was just the people who had a bad experience. But when you look at them all, there is more bad then good. Read and take the reviews seriously! it matters. They tried charging us 600 extra upon checkout. It wasnt what they offered. I expected alot better! I wouldnt go back to this resort! u have been warned.

Room Tip: no dont do it
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We spent 2 nights in April 2013. The Grand Oaisis section is wonderful. The rooms are clean and the views to the ocean spectacular. The arrival service is great and comparable to many other high end resorts in which I have stayed. It all, however, ends there.

The service once you have checked in is lacking. At the time we stayed, the hotel was fairly empty, as such you would expect service to improve given the guest to employee ratio. This was not the case. The drinks at the bars are watered down and made with cheap ingredients. This, however, is expected off all inclusive hotels, its the trade-off one makes for plenty of drinks. The Grand Oasis did not keep its deal of the the bargain. Service was horrible. The bar tenders tended to be preocupied with other now-work activities. When they finally acknowledged your request, they always seemed to be out of what you requested and our requests where not exotic. My girlriend kept asking for Sangria. It was never available because every bar seemed to be out of red wine.

Service at the restaurants was not much better. The menu is fixed at the two where we had dinner. It was a good thing we had lots to talk about, because the courses came very far apart from each other. Also, they did not have house wine, but did have a good selection of mediocre wine for sale at quality wine prices.

Our rooms were not cleaned on a timely basis. At on point, I called to inquire as to when we could expect to have our room cleaned. I was told to expect room service at some point between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. The person seemed surprised and a bit annoyed that I pointed out it was already 4:30 and we had been out of our room all day.

I could continue to point out instances in which the service was lacking, but I think I have made my point.

As indicated in the begining, this is a great property and has lots of potential. It is in a great location. The rooms in the Grand Oasis side are beautiful! I did not see the inside of the rooms on the Oasis side, but from the outside they looked old and tired. Was the additional price for the Grand upgrade worth it? Yes, if you want the view and new facilities. No, if you are looking for additional service. We found that the best service was at the buffet, in part because it is self serve for the most part.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms are great. They are clean and have an incredible view of the ocean. Despite...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Natick, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I went here with our two kids (7 and 5), and we had a great time. The place was clean and well kept. I have seen a lot of negative reviews, and I do not agree with most of them. The resort does separate (somewhat) those who are on the Grand Oasis side versus those who are on the Oasis side, and it seems that most of the "bad reviews" come from this feature. The only thing I can say is that you get what you pay for. The Grand side costs a little more money, but allows access to everything on the site. We stayed on the Grand Oasis side, and loved it.

With regards to bringing kids...at first, I was a little worried about traveling with a 7 and 5 year-old because there was not a good description on the Oasis website of the "kids club". However, when we got there, our kids loved it. It also gave my wife and I chance to be alone during the day. I think the Oasis website does a disservice to the resort by not describing this better and highlighting it more. It was open from 9a-6p every day, and I think the max amount of time you could leave your child there was 4 hours. The staff was great to the kids, and our kids were able to meet other kids their own age. It was included in the package for the Grand Oasis guests (I do not know about the Oasis side). Some of the activities included:
- Movies for kids
- Video games
- Arts and crafts
- Swings/Jungle Gym
- Ball pit
- Indoor Gym with padded floors and hoppity-hops
- Board games

With regards to other activities on the site...many of the activities were geared towards adults. However, there were enough that the kids could get involve with and enjoy. For example, there was an early night light show with several actors dressed up as wild animals that the kids liked. Another activity included lessons on "towel folding art" (we were taught how to fold towels into shapes such as an elephant, a dinosaur, and a mermaid).

I only have two small criticisms of this resort: 1st, the food was ok, but not great. They do have some very nice restaurants on site that require reservations, but most of the time we had to eat in the general buffet where the food was just so-so. This seems to be a common characteristic of most all-inclusive resorts. 2nd, traveling outside of the resort can be difficult. The resort is between Playa del Carmen and Tulum, and a taxi ride will cost about $30 one way. They do have public transportation in the forms of a bus, but it is not clearly marked how to get it.

I recommend getting out of the resort and check out the local surroundings. Xel Ha was great. We also went to Chichen Itza for a day and loved it. Especially the cenote Ik Kil, which is a great experience to swim in, and is 10 minutes from Chichen Itza.

Room Tip: If possible, stay on the Grand side.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Tomahwak, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I read some of these reviews and have to wonder if these people stayed at the same resort I did??? I feel we got our $$$'s worth! we had none of the issues we heard about....such as no towels in the room...restaurants out of food??? I believe all the people were very friendly and accomodated us well......We did stay @ the Grand so had a few more "perks"....such as the small pool areas on the roof??? we spend alot of time there and if you go be sure to meet Guadalupe`...she is a sweeheart....and Leisy on the beach/swim up bar was a real cutie!!! Hugo in the lobby bar was so much fun!!! and as for a "shortage?" or not able to get rum,etc....We got and had anything we wanted!!! The food was prepared very well....very clean.....our room was serviced excellent!! Guess I'm not sure what some expect but we were highly pleased with our stay......March 2013.....

Room Tip: although our ocean front room was beautiful......the garden rooms were very, very nice, too!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the grand Oasis Tulum in April. There seems to be a lot of polarizing comments. Most have to do with messed up reservations etc. I will try to just give detail info. We arrange hotel transfer on our own which worked out well. We used Paradise Transfer and they were great, we changed our reservation a lot and they responded.
The hotel is beautiful but not perfect, we checked in at the Grand side of the resort but saw the Oasis desk and could see why people were annoyed. Grand guest have there own pool area, restaurants and beach section. So if you srent a Grand guest you felt very left out of the black wrist band areas. That being said the Grand restaurants didnt have better food. We liked the swim up sushi bar Nori and traditional mexican restaurant Sarape best.
We had a horrible flight on American Airlines and actually had to spend a night in Miami before getting to Cancun, will avoid American in the future.
When we got to the hotel I had to work with travel agent, hotel and airline to arrange to stay the extra day i lost getting there. That being said I wished I arranged to have cell phone service, it would have been a nice backup instead of using concierge desk which they were very accommodating, thanks Dafne!
I listened to a tip and brought a insulated cup so I didnt have to keep going to the bar, i didnt need to do that since it was the only exercise I got! I brought a lot of singles as suggested but not enough, definitely need 50 for a couple, you really wanted to rip when people went out of their way, but not necessary.
We went to the ruins at Tulum, we took the "colectivo" a minivan that picks people up on the side of the highway. Yup, just like that sounds. A fun experience for the adventurous, a cab isnt much more really. The market area where they drop you off looks kind of sketchy and a lot of people will approach you and will want to give you guided tours etc. I say just walk straight down the road to the park entrance and ignore everyone. We stopped on our way out and shopped since by then we had our bearings it was more crowded. One guy wanted to bring us to the back of the market to show us stuff but we just shook our heads and kept walking. When my radar goes off I dont ignore it even if it ends up as a over reaction.
Dont miss the beach at the ruins, but the beach at the hotel was amazing too. The amount of fish we saw in the first teninutes blew our minds.
TIP - bring plenty of sunblock, the sun is strong and its very expensive at hotel (44$)!!

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!