“Great spot for Kids” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Tulum

You added Oasis Tulum to your Saves list
Oasis Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km. 251, Akumal 77780, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Grand Riviera Maya)   |
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Great spot for Kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We just returned from a week at this all-inclusive and have to rave about the kids experience. The "Kids Club" at Oasis Tulum was the shining star for our family trip. The dedicated staff in this brand new space made the day for kids, each and every day of our vacation. The kind folks in this warm and inviting space were the perfect thing to keep our 18mo and 4yr olds pumped on this vacation.
We spent hours in this new space each day, doing crafts, playing games, and adventuring on the playground. We really enjoyed the Kids Club staff, and although most folks drop off their kids and leave 'em, we stayed and played with them. Big props to Liz, Rai, Ben, and the rest of the great folks. Good luck and enjoy a nice, all inclusive, family friendly resort experience. Saddly, we apparently missed Adam Sandler, I'm sure he wasn't in The Kids Club, that was a different movie.

Room Tip: The beachfront are definitely nicer than the cheap rooms we stayed in. The Grand Oasis has bigger/ni...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Visited the Oasis Tulum (not the GRAND side) 4/14 to 4/21. We had 3 people in a room, comfortable, first floor pool/garden side with a very nice patio in building G. Staff was pleasant, we didn’t want for anything except water (we drank tap water and were fine). I’ve been doing the all-inclusive vacation for about 10 years now; I wouldn’t rate the Oasis as a 4 star/apple resort. The food was fine and the alcohol ok, but to me more comparable to a 3 rating. The Italian restaurant was our favorite meal. The beach is absolutely gorgeous; but mind the urchins. Yes, you do need to get up really early to get a beach chair spot, but that’s not unusual. If they put more chairs, it would be too crowded and there was lack of common space. If you just want a quiet relaxing early night vacation, hanging at your room, it is perfect. I wouldn’t return here, but rarely go to the same place twice anyway. BTW did anyone else see Adam Sandler on the resort on Saturday the 20th?

Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

The beach is lovely at the Grand Oasis Tulum, but it is not worth it!! The Grand Oasis Tulum is awful compared to many other Mexican and Caribbean all-inclusive resorts. We took the chance by booking with CheapCaribbean.com and really paid for it! Many other travelers had similar issues, but if you have multiple problems, your vacation will be ruined...stay somewhere else and save yourself the stress! Also, CheapCaribbean.com is as it implies...cheap, unwilling to respond to problems, and lacking integrity when they are willing to take your money when they knowingly acknowledge that damages from the trip exceed the whole trip cost!

The details...the resort staff is poorly trained and management is unresponsive to even major problems. We were assigned a moldy room with no running water and had to stay in the room overnight due to overbooking. The staff members at check-in and concierge are trained to ignore problems and lie. Among the major issues at this hotel are theft by the pools and constant plumbing problems. We had a flood in our closet (second assigned room) from the shower or toilet from the room above that ruined shoes and got our nicer clothing wet. It took 3 calls before maintenance brought towels for ME to soak up the water. It took a 4th phone call and 3 hours before housekeeping arrived to soak up water, but did nothing to actually sanitize the mess.

Additionally, the resort cuts every corner possible...our mini-bar was stocked twice over the period of a week, we had to fill up our saved water bottles at mealtimes, and had to fight for clean towels. Sometimes beach towels were impossible to get, and other times nobody cared how many beach towels we had. That turned out to be a good thing since we couldn't get bath towels and had to use our beach towels in the room after showering on two of the nights...housekeeping said "five more minutes," but it was actually 2 more days before receiving bath towels. Besides beer, drinks were hard to find at the bars because supplies were not consistently delivered to the bars...no rum??? The food was also very inconsistent...the buffet is a joke and the restaurant reservation times are ridiculous. Also, there are many food/drink items that are additional costs. Even the Polynesian sun beds by the pool were "for rent" through the spa!

The so-called manager, Paolo, maintained the persona of management but had no real control over staff and the insurmountable mess at this resort. Paolo was able to change our room, but denied the resort's problems. The restaurant staff is incredibly hardworking, but are completely understaffed. The resort cleans up long after guests arrive at the beach in the morning, so lying on a lounger near the trash from someone's overnight beach party is apparently acceptable to management because the beach was never cleaned before 10 am...many employees would only do their one assigned task and just walk by piles of cups, bottles, and garbage. The cleaners cleaned the walkway with buckets of pool water that were thrown at guests' feet while waiting for the breakfast buffet to open (late of course). They even swept the water off the patio onto my lounger on the beach. When I asked them to stop and they wouldn't, security just pretended not to understand what I was asking for help with...I was speaking Spanish!

We took so much time arguing for necessities (a functional safe lock, towels, water bottles) and waiting for major problems to be fixed that our vacation was stressful. Despite the updated, modern decor in the lobby and the nice beach, the systemic problems with this resort make it far too risky to consider for a vacation. This is the first time we didn't listen to the negative reviews...the complaints are legitimate!

Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I really wanted to like this place. After five stays at bigger resorts, our family of four wanted to experience a smaller, quieter resort. We booked in early January for our early April trip. We read the Trip Advisor reviews and attributed the negatives to the recent upgrade of the property and high maintenance guests—do you really need constant internet access on vacation?? As our departure date approached, and the negative reviews piled up, we became a bit more concerned. I called our booking agency, Apple Vacations, twice and Oasis once and everyone assured me that the resort was great and the issues were being addressed. So we took a chance. We arrived mid-afternoon and our room was ready—so far so good. We asked about an upgrade to the “grand” portion of the resort and they told me it would cost $US 1,500 for the four of us and that no “grand” rooms were available, so we would have still have to stay in the non-grand rooms. We decided it wasn’t worth it. We went to our rooms (which were fine), changed into bathing suits and the fun began! First stop was the beach for towels. Surprise, there were none available. Next stop was the lobby to find out about towels. Surprise, there were none there either. They told me to wait. Waited 20 minutes and decided that I should get a drink to pass the time--the bar was out of mint for mojitos. After all, it was 2PM. Went back to the lobby and was handed 4 towels. Back to the beach to discover that there is a major plastic chair shortage in Tulum. So we decided to go to the pool. No chairs there either. Plenty of empty concrete (and sand at the beach) to put chairs, but the management must like the space. Actually it must give the waiters more room to walk when taking your drink order and delivering it—just kidding, never saw an employee on the beach. Laid our towels on the concrete and went to try the sushi bar with my daughters. I know this will shock you, but they were out of sushi. About 4 PM some guests offered us their chairs and we got comfortable. Later, had dinner at the buffet, which provided us a great opportunity to get our own drinks and bus our own tables. The food was good though.
Next day was more of the same. My wife got up at 5:30AM to see the sun rise and was smart enough to save us 4 chairs at the beach. Good thing, because they were all pretty much “saved” by 6AM. This became our ritual for the rest of the week—up at 5:30, save chairs by the pool or beach, have coffee at 6AM because it was not available before then—very relaxing. Breakfast buffet was good, only had to wait 10 minutes or so for a table (our record was ½ hour later in the week). Of course we again had to get our own drinks and bus our own tables. Later in the day decided to try the “famous” chicken place by the pool reviewed so positively on Trip Advisor. Needless to say, you will have to trust the reviews because, naturally, they were out of chicken. So we went over to the Asian outdoor lunch area. After waiting two hours for our food, we gave up and went hungry because at this point the buffet was closed and we had 6 PM reservations at the Mexican restaurant. Dinner at the restaurant was good with a traditional band taking requests.
On day three I went to the front desk to see where the Apple representative was located. I was told that because the resort was so small she did not have regular hours and I needed to call and make an appointment. I asked if they could call for me and they said no, I needed to go back to my room and use that phone. Naturally there is a fee for local calls. After being on hold with Apple for 20 minutes, I made it to the front of the call line and the phone went dead. This happened two more times. So I gave up and tried to track down a local US number for Apple. FYI, this doesn’t exist. So I used my cell phone to call a US travel agent in my hometown and asked them to contact Apple to contact the Oasis representative. The local Apple rep called me back the next morning and left me a message that she was at the resort every evening except Tuesday from 5 to 6. Not sure where the front desk gets their information. I met with her later that day and expressed my disappointment in the resort and in Apple especially since I had called Apple prior to the trip with my concerns and would have been able to use the trip insurance and make other vacation plans. She was very sympathetic and promised to provide me with an alternative first thing the next morning. I received a call then and she said that we could be moved to another resort and it would only cost us several thousand dollars. To be fair, it was spring break. We opted to stay.
The next several days were more of the same. Up at 5:30, save chairs, spend the day by the pool or at the beach, etc. We did take a day and had a great time in Playa del Carmen. Had dinner at Mi Pueblo and the meal was terrific. My kids particularly enjoyed the waiters filling our water glasses and clearing our plates.
By day four of seven, the manager of the resort tracked me down and mentioned that Apple had called him and mentioned I some concerns. He apologized, claimed he was new and working on the issues and offered to have us moved to another Oasis property in Cancun later that day or we could stay and upgrade to “Grand” wrist bands. Given that we would lose most of a day of vacation and would have to pay for transportation to Cancun we opted to stay. The “Grand” wristbands gave us a few more bar and meal options which helped make things a bit better. We were impressed with the coffee shop in the “Grand” lobby. The coffee and service were great. Too bad they were not open 24 hours. The “Grand” pools were also nice, but it was kind of eerie—every time we visited we were the only ones there. On a positive note though, we had chairs!!!
I could keep going, but it would be more of the same. Overall, the experience bordered on the comical and the resort could be so much better with some decent management. The property itself is very nice, the rooms were fine, the grand lobby was good and the bartenders (when the ingredients are available), make some pretty good drinks. We have had wonderful experiences at other resorts (Occidental Xcaret, Grand Sirenis) and would not hesitate to go back to them.

Room Tip: If you must go, stay on the Grand side.
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

So my Husband, my little sister and myself just got back yesterday: we got to experience both the purple bracelets and the black "grand" bracelets.
Originally we had problems booking and the horror stories people post on here can really scare you but when we arrived everyone was very helpful and friendly. We drove (yes drove, don't believe everything you hear on the news) and found the security personnel were awesome, there is A LOT of security.
We started with purple bands. Initially they gave us the wrong room with one single bed, we had booked and confirmed two beds, but that happens and it was immediately sorted out at the front desk. We were genuinely impressed by the food (the sushi is surprisingly good, they even had fried ice cream). The room was clean and peaceful with a garden view all the way in the back. The staff are as nice to you as you are to them. We had no problems getting 3 beach chairs together, we would go down at noon and whatever chairs no one was occupying we claimed under the intention that if the original owners ever returned we would happily hand them back. But none ever did. Yes there are some small boats docked along the shore, that is normal, but the best snorkeling was closer down near the pier and away from those boats anyway. We accidentally went somewhere purple bands couldn't and when the staff notified us we immediately apologized but they were not mean about it and helped us get to the right place. We made reservations for the Italian restaurant and enjoyed it immensely.
On our second night just after 12 am, while we were sleeping, one of the bellboys came into our room by accident with new patrons. We received an immediately apology as well as another in the morning. We didn't make a fuss, in Mexico there is a very "play the cards you're dealt with" mentality so it would not have been understood if we had complained. But then after breakfast we returned to our room to find we had been locked out. We went to the front desk and explained we had been more than patient, we understand these are computer errors and no fault of their own, but this was ridiculous. They apologized and kindly upgraded us to the grand black band.
I would like to stress, You need to make reservations for grand restaurants too!!! I wish there was a way to scream that on here, it is not some horrible injustice imposed on purple and orange bands only, it is designed that way for a specific reason. And while the food is more fancy on the grand side it is just as great a standard as the none grand.
All in all, we have traveled to a lot of different resorts and this was a favorite, we will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Neptune, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Like many others, I read the reviews prior to going to the Grand Oasis Tulum and was very concerned. However, I think that people are not always aware of what may or may not be included, and set expectations too high. I research before going, and all I expect is that I get what I pay for when I travel. The problem with this resort is that they are constantly pulling a "bait and switch." They change the rules daily, so it is hard to know what to expect or what is available at any given moment.

We stayed 7 nights, 8 days. The resort itself is beautiful, especially on the Grand side. I cannot comment on the rooms in the other parts of the resort, but from the outside, they did not look as nice. Know what your are booking. We booked the Grand Oceanfront room with what was advertised as "two Queen Beds," not so. We found out that we had two full size beds that were pushed together. This makes a big difference if you are a family of four in one room. On some days our room did not get serviced and we would have to ask repeatedly that someone come to our room. When it was serviced, we were often left without shampoo, or other items such as toilet paper. One day, it took 24 hours before we could get more. Fortunately, we still had tissues in the room! The supervisor at the front desk was rude and not at all helpful.

The pools on both sides of the resort were very nice and you could always find some chairs at all times of the day. It was difficult to find chairs on the beach, as most people preferred the beach because it was beautiful. I don't find that as a big problem, especially when going during peak times. You can always find somewhere to sit.

The biggest issue, in my opinion, was the service and food selection. The buffet was good and the food was fresh. I prefer to eat at the a la cate restaurants. Most of the food was good, but the menus were limited. When we ordered, we were told what they were out of, which limited it even more. The sushi bar was out of several items, the steakhouse was out of steak (not joking)! Every other restaurant had one or two items that were not available. The service was terribly slow, due to the fact that they were understaffed. The wait staff worked hard, but there was not enough of them to cover the tables they had. Some staff even seemed angry and ended up taking it out on the customers. The bartenders changed the rules daily. Liquor selections and frozen drink availability changed daily. It took four days before we could get a pina colada anywhere on the resort.

Probably, the most troubling situation was when my 8 year old daughter was injured in the Kid's Club and no one brought it to our attention. She ended up with an infection in her foot and needed immediate medical attention. We were sent by taxi to a hospital (Hospiten) 30 minutes away. This was a private hospital for tourists that insisted upon a $2500 hold on your credit card before being seen. The hotel recommended this place and told us that it would be fast and inexpensive. This was another scam. This hospital clearly had an arrangement with the resorts in the area. There were no locals there, only resort guests. It took us 6 hours and we missed dinner that night. When returned, we asked where we could get something to eat, we were directed to the late night snacks. My kids were hungry and needed to eat. While the employees feasted on menu items they were cooking in the pizza oven at the Italian restaurant, we were directed to some ham sandwiches on the "snack buffet." You would think that they would have tried to make some other accomodations given our situation.

I would not go back to this resort and I would not recommend it to anyone. It was not a cheap vacation. We did not receive what was advertised. The management tried to make improvements when you brought things to their attention, but the next time we went to a restaurant or bar, we would encounter another problem. This resort has a long way to go in terms of customer service. Mexico is a very competitive market and there is great customer service at many other resorts. This particular resort was very frustrating. While no resort has all excellent reviews, choose one that has a consistent reputation for good customer service. We were treated very poorly at the Grand Oasis Tulum and I would be careful if you are considering staying there.

Room Tip: The Grand is nicer.
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Up front, those who had negative reviews must have very high expectations and booked the cheaper side of the resort. We stayed at the Grand Oasis Tulum and had an amazing time.

The transportation from the airport was great, yes it is a bit farther however the beaches of Tulum make up for any drive. Our room was amazing... we booked a Grand Gardenview Room with a King size bed on an upper floor and that is exactly what we were given.

The Grand side is much quieter and very relaxing. This is a great spot for couples to unwind, no loud music or entertainment staff asking you to do things or vendors on the beaches. Upgraded and Modern.The rooftop patio was absolutely AMAZING! Individual cool whirlpools and bar overlooking the amazing waters of the beach.

Yes, some reviews mention not having much choice on the buffet however you can make the best of the offerings of great fruit, nachos, etc. The a la carte's were very good! There is the option to buy a bottle of wine instead of drinking the house wine (this is with every resort).

Having traveled to many 5 star resorts in Mexico (Secrets Maroma, El Dorado Seaside and Dreams) we would still rank this hotel highly with great service and a overall good experience!

We will be back, next time with friends :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!