We recently just got back from a 10 day stay at this resort, from February 8th thru to Feb 17th 2013. I had read several (maybe too many ) reviews prior to this vacation and even contacted Apple Vacations and printed some of those emails to have as evidence of what was promised versus what the reviews were saying that was not being delivered. We arrived early (1 PM) and started to check-in at the Oasis Tulum but were immediately upgraded to the Grand Oasis Without asking or without cost) so we walked acroos the lot to the Grand to check-in, our room was not ready and the front desk very unorganized. We finally got a room at 5:30 (the reason the room was not available until then was because it was being remodled... new beds, TV phone,etc. It would have been nice if they told us that.
This is a small resort and it is very close to the ocean and has the nicest beach that I have been to in 5 years. A short walk will get you from your room to the lobby, to the bars to the buffet and ocean.
This resort is about 1 1/2 hrs away from the Cancun airport. Our bus was going to make 4 stops and we were the last (2 hours) It would have made more sense to drive to the furthest stop first so they could make all right hand turns and save overall time by at least a half hour.
Rooms- The room was large with a nice balcony. Bathroom was nice, good water pressure. We had brand new beds, so no complqaints there. There are no elevators so there are stairs to climb if on the 2nd or 3rd floor. Rooms are clean and decorated nicely with a large closet and large dresser and 40" flat screen TV. Safe is in the closet (extra cost). Room was cleaned and beds made daily, the better the tip the better the the towel animals.
Pools- There are two pools at the Grand and two at Oasis (Oasis pools were more fun because they had the swimup bars...) You can't see the ocean from the pool so we spent limited time there as we prefer the beach. Yes, like everyone elses reviews state... there are NOT enough chairs by the beach or pools. I do not care for the reserving of chairs especially when some are reserved and not used the entire day. but it is what it is so get up early and get your spot.
Food- (very good) Buffet is not a very big but it's not a huge resort either. Depending on when you go you may have to wait a few minutes but this was no big deal. For breakfast, the omelette station was the place to go, I am not sure if the omlettes were special or if was just Mariana (she is a very nice lady)
By the pool they had a sit down snack place called the Happy chicken. This is a shadedarea where you can sit and have hamburgs,hotdogs,chicken wings, fries,coleslaw etc. (made fresh) The chicken wings and hamburgers were excellant.
There are two (free) a-la-carte restaurants where you reserve in the lobby the morning of when you wish to go. They have a mexican and Italian restaurant. My preferance was the Mexican.(went to this one twice) Itialian was average.
SportsBar- Whimpy's You can walk or there is a shuttle that will take you to the sports bar as it's about a 5 minute walk up the road. Several TV's and one very large screen TV all inside. You can sit and get waited on for drinks and snacks. All very good. Outside there are tables to drink or eat at as well as a nice pool with loungers (plenty of them here- unlike the beach). There is also a large area outside where every night they show a movie (against a wall... nice picture though) but if there is not a breeze the mosquito's can be an issue. This is the most active sports bar I have seen.
They need more bathrooms.
Theatre is enclosed and gets very hot in a hurry. Some shows very good other not so much.
Excursions: Highly recommend the Mayan Extreme (Zip lines, repelling, cenotes and Tulum Ruins) Groups of 12.
This resort is a work in progress as I went from upset to very happy. These reviews of Oasis Tulum will get better every week as they are slowly getting it together.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- “People say I’m gorgeous, but that’s just how nature made me: fresh and beautiful, with a price that’s definitely down to earth. I run with the quiet crowd, away from the bright lights and hustle, but my beach is the most extraordinary paradise you can imagine, with its amazing shape and coral reef, and spectacular scenery all around. Bring the family: spend time at my spa while the children check out my super new Kids’ Club.” ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Oasis Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Be Live Grand Riviera Maya Hotel Akumal
- Grand Oasis Riviera Maya Akumal
- Oasis Grand Rivera Maya
- Grand Oasis Riviera Maya Hotel
- Club Oasis Akumal
- Oasis Akumal
- Oasis Grand Riviera Maya Hotel
- Oasis Tulum Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico