“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Tulum

You added Oasis Tulum to your Saves list
Oasis Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km. 251, Akumal 77780, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Grand Riviera Maya)   |
Special Offer
Winter Sale: 40% Off!
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Oasis Tulum (not the Grand side) from 2/16-2/21 after having spent 5 nights at the Krystal in Cancun. Like most others, I was skeptical after reading so many negative reviews, but we got a good deal so I decided to go with and hope for the best. I completely understand why people are upset about false advertising and I think that if I went there without reading reviews and knowing exactly what I had access too I would have been disappointed. This is an issue that the resort really needs to fix and I was sure to mention it on my comment card when we left. I'll try to give as many details of our experience in hopes of helping others so bear with me if this gets lengthy.
Check in and Room:
When we arrived at the front desk the staff was pleasant. I asked for a free upgrade since I had read several people were upgraded to the grand. I was told that there weren't any upgrades today, but if I came back tomorrow morning I might be able to get one. She told us our rooms weren't ready, she gave us our purple wrist bands, pointed the way to the buffet and asked us to come back at 3. I will say that the communication is lacking a bit...we were never told what we had access to at the front desk and I never did find out what the difference between purple and orange bands were...although it could be that the orange are the ocean front rooms...not sure. We were told where the restaurants were but they didn't tell us that we needed to make a reservation. It was about 1:30 and we were hungry so we went right to the buffet. We were very happy with the food there, especially when compared to the Krystal. Beer was cold and they had both Sol and Dos Equis depending on where you went. After our lunch we walked down the beach and out to the pier. Soon enough it was time to go to our room. We were in room 3132 on the first floor of the Ek Balam building out back behind the pool. The room was clean and comfortable (pillow top mattress) and we were happy to have a patio with our own palapa and lounge chairs and thrilled we didn't need to go up and down stairs to get to our room. We decided not to ask for an upgrade the next day because we were very content with what we had and would rather not move. We planned on visiting the Tulum Ruins, Playa del Carmen, and Xel-ha so we didn't exactly plan on being at the resort enough to fully take advantage of the Grand perks anyways. Our room was always well cleaned and we did have a towel animal one day in our room. Be careful getting in and out of the shower since the tub it very high. I stubbed my toe the first time I got out :( We had two or three bottles of water each day and plenty of towels. There is a small fridge in the room but it is not stocked with anything. That didn't bother us though because we were happy to have someplace to keep our bottled water cold! Also note that there isn't room service, but we don't usually take advantage of that anyway so it wasn't a concern. One of our biggest concerns from reading reviews on trip advisor was the safe issue. Before we even arrived my husband and I decided that we wouldn't pay extra for the safe since we had heard of so many people saying they had items stolen from it. We opted to lock our valuables in one of our suitcases instead and we never had a problem. We never had any staff members knock on our door or enter unannounced as some others mentioned. The walls are very thing...we could hear the girl next door singing one night and it sounded like she was in our room it was so loud! For the most part our neighbors were quiet and respectful so it wasn't a problem. The AC worked a little too well...we were almost always too cold in our room! Better than being too hot though :) We turned off the AC all together at some points or would open the sliding door to try to warm the room up a bit. Yes, there are lots of cats around the property. They were harmless but we found them sleeping on lounge chairs on peoples patios. If you're allergic to cats this might be something to consider.
Beach, Towels, Chairs, Pools:
After checking into our room we went to sit on the beach for a bit and had no problem getting two chairs under a palapa and it was about 3:30pm. I noticed that there were plenty of towels so even though we weren't swimming and didn't need them we took two just incase we couldn't get one later on. If you are worried about towels I would strongly suggest just picking them up day before you plan on using them. Every time we were at the beach in the afternoon there were plenty of towels, but in the mornings it was hit or miss. We only attempted to go to the beach "early" (around 9 rather than after lunch) and it's true that there weren't any chairs or towels on that one occasion. Instead of finding a spot in the sand we decided to walk south a little ways and collected sea glass on a quiet part of the beach just before the GBP's palapas. There is a really great spot there and we collected lots and lots of sea glass through out our trip. We were always able to get beach chairs under a palapa after about 12:30. I think that there were plenty of chairs given the space on the beach and if there were any more chairs than they already had, there wouldn't be any sandy spots left. The beach is stunning and the snorkeling was fantastic. Lots of beautiful fish just a few feet into the water. There's a shallow pool on the beach as well. The service at the beach bar was great but there isn't drink service on the beach itself so you need to go up and get your own drinks. The main pool looked nice but we never used it because we would rather be at the beach. I think they could have used a few more beach chairs by the pool. We saw water aerobics, salsa lessons, and yoga going on in the pool area. There were two swim up bars, one with a sushi bar, and the Happy Chicken for lunch.
Food:
For dinner on the first night we attempted to go to the Mexican restaurant, Sarape, but we asked for a ticket and then told that we needed to make reservations between 9am-5pm at the Oasis Plus desk in the lobby. Rebecca at the desk was very friendly and helpful. We also made reservations for Dos Lunas for our last night and she remembered us and asked how our dinner at Sarape was. The Mexican bread soup at Sarape was delicious and my husband and I both enjoyed our fajitas at Sarape. The mariachi band was a nice touch too. Service was decent but nothing spectacular. Dos Lunas was good too but I am pretty picky and just got pizza. I found both restaurants to have very limited menus and I was a bit disappointed with the choices although the food was good and it was nice to have dinner in a different atmosphere. As I mentioned before, we were very happy with the food at the buffet. The breakfast buffet was great and we never had to wait to get a table but on a few occasions the service was a little slow. Someone walked past our table 4 times and never came to offer us coffee. This problem might have been resolved by just having a coffee station at the buffet rather than having to rely on a server to come and bring it to us. A few times we had to wait to be seated for dinner. The buffet opens at 6:30 for dinner so when we arrived at 6:45 one day all of the tables were taken and we had to wait until about 7:15 to be seated. More tables or an earlier dinner start time might have alleviated the problem. Once we figured this out, we just adjusted our dinner time and it wasn't a bit deal.
Entertainment, Staff, and Shopping:
We attended three shows in the theater and we very pleased with all three. The Circus show was our favorite. The male acrobats were unbelievable!!! We also enjoyed the dancing around the world show...which was really more of a fire dancing show. Their tricks were amazing. The lights show was fun too. The entertainment staff around the resort were really friendly. Always with a smile and encouraging people to participate but with no pressure. As mentioned before we saw water aerobics, yoga, and dance lessons along with beach volleyball and minigolf. All staff that we encountered were incredibly friendly and accommodating. We didn't feel like there were any language barriers and we don't speak much Spanish. Every time we passed a staff member they always greeted us with a smile. The store at Oasis Tulum is teeny tiny. We had already done lots of shopping in Cancun and did a bit more at Playa del Carmen on a day trip so we didn't feel the need to shop at the hotel. They do have vendors outside between the store and the buffet and we found it to be a little annoying to have to tell people no thank you as we were trying to get from our room to the beach or to eat. However, on our last day there were more vendors than usual and we found a man named Arthur painting on tiles. His paintings caught our eye and we were very interested in them but figured they'd be out of our budget since it was the end of our trip and we were almost out of cash. We stayed and watched him for a while. He started painting and talking to us and before we knew it he had finished a beautiful night scene of Chichen Itza. He also had paintings of villages and beaches. He told us that his tiles were $25-$30 depending on how much detail/time he put into it. He said that he doesn't have a shop, he just goes around to resorts and paints and sells his paintings. He also said that he could paint a customized picture with whatever we wanted in it. We were able to watch him as he painted and add details as he went along. He painted us a picture of a sunrise over a beach with a palapa, snorkeling gear, and an iguana. It's absolutely stunning and such an amazing souvenier. He drew quite the crowd and although we were his first personalized painting of the night, I'm guessing he had a long line of others waiting to have their own paintings done. He was amazing and incredibly friendly. Believe it or not, this ended up being one of the highlights of our trip. Even if you just stay and watch him paint for a bit, you will be thoroughly entertained.
Location:
We absolutely loved the location of the Oasis Tulum resort! We could easily catch a colectivo across the street and get anywhere we wanted. There's so much to do in the area that we didn't have enough time to go everywhere we wanted. The colectivo to Tulum Ruins and Playa del Carmen was 30 pesos and the trip to Xel-ha was 25 pesos. Playa was the longest ride and took about 35 minutes.
Overall we had a lovely time at Oasis Tulum and would definitely return again. Given the awesome deal that we got we felt that it was an excellent value for our money. No, it's not a luxury hotel and it's true that unless you are grand, you only have access to two restaurants and the buffet. For our trip it met our needs just fine and we didn't miss having access to the roof top bar or extra restaurants. We actually had a bit of fun making a joke about how we were at the bottom of the ladder. I didn't feel like we were treated any differently because of the color of our band. As long as you have realistic expectations for the resort and you go into it with an open mind you will have a wonderful vacation. I hope this is helpful and you enjoy your stay as much as we did!

Room Tip: Be sure to request a ground floor if you aren't comfortable climbing stairs since there aren'...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Windsor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We recently just got back from a two week stay at this resort, from February 4th thru to Feb 14th 2013. We were worried about all the negitive reviews we read on this site from other travellers about maybe making a mistake about going here. My wife and I were pleasantly pleased. this resort is fine depending on what type of vacation you enjoy. If your someone who loves the nightlife and partying then you will probably be disappointed.

This is a small resort, nothing like the Bahia Principe properties next door (coba,tulum,ackumel etc) where the property is so huge you need to take shuttles to get around or have very long walks. A two minute walk will get you everywhere from your room to the lobby, to the bars to the buffet and ocean. I will try to make comments about each area. We have stayed in Mexico several times and have stayed at differant resorts so I feel we can give an hones assessment.

Check-in- This resort is about 1 1/2 hrs away from the Cancun airport. Depending on traffic it could be quicker and also depends on how many stops they have to make dropping people off at other resorts along the way. Myself I don't mind the stops as I am curious about what other resorts look like. The check-in was fine with no problems. We arrived early so were told we have about an hour wait for our rooms, they gave us the arm bands so we went to the bar for drinks while waiting. As promised the room was ready on time.

Rooms- The room was not large but large enough that we were not disappointed. Bathroom was large. Some rooms had king beds, some queen some two doubles. Beside the bed there was a small table with two chairs and either a patio (grnd floor) or balcony (2nd or 3rd floor) There are no elevators so there are stairs to climb if on the 2nd or 3rd floor. Rooms are clean and decorated nicely with a large closet and large dresser. Safe is in the closet. Rooms are cleaned and beds made daily, like other resorts they make the towel animals most of the time.

Pools- There is two pools one being seperated from the other with a wall and waterfall. There is a pool bar with stools in each section. You can't see the ocean from the pool. We had no problems with this area and spent most of out time in this area. One problem as compared to other resorts is depending on what you drink somedays they have it some days they don't. For example I like Bacardi rum, some days they had barcardi other days they had rum but the mexican brand. Some days they had clamato for ceasers and some days they ran out and had no clamato. It was no big deal for me but some might find it a negitive. There are lounge chairs and several posts with the straw tops for shade. You will read from others that there are not enough chairs at the pools and the ocean. We did put towels on our chairs to reserve them around 7 in the morning on our way to coffee and breakfast. If you are one to sleep in then I suppose you might find trouble finding a lounge chair or have to move some, but this is typical of ALL resorts. I have stayed at 6 star resorts and the problem is the same. No resort has enough chairs to accomodate every single person at one time. Same for the Ocean, it's a beautiful beach with chairs, but if most of the resort decide to head there for sitting, unless you get there early or reserve with towels you won't get a lounger.

Food- Like other all-inclusives they have a buffet for breakfast,lunch and dinner. It's not a huge room but again it's not a huge resort. Depending on when you go you may have to wait 5 or 10 minutes for a table. But I have had to wait for a table going to the Keg or Red Lobster etc here at home so this was no big deal. The food was very good, always had pork,beef,chicken and fish every night. The ladies loved the salad bar and the deserts were very good. For breakfast they had an omelette station where they make them fresh in front of you, or you could have scrambled eggs,pancakes,waffels etc.

By the pool they had a sit down snack place called the Happy chicken. There you can sit in your bathing suit and have hamburgs,hotdogs,chicken wings, fries,coleslaw etc. It is made fresh for you, not made an hour before hand where it gets cold and the flies are all over it. Went here daily. The chicken wings and hamburgers were excellant.

There is two a-la-carte restaurants where you reserve in the lobby the morning of when you wish to go. They have a mexican and Italian restaurant. My preferance was the Italian but the Mexican wasn't bad. If you still happen to be hungry after the sit down meal there you can always walk down the hall to the buffet and eat more. Beleive me you won't go to bed hungry.

SportsBar- You can walk or there is a shuttle that will take you to the sports bar as it's about a 5 minute walk up the road. It's probably the best kept secret here as many I talked too didn't know they had such a place. It is a large modern building with several TV's and one very large screen TV all inside. Normally at night they show an NHL hockey game. You can sit and get waited on for drinks and snacks. The snack bar is called Whimpy's which again makes the food to order so nice and hot when you get it. They have nachoes,burgers,fries, clubhouses etc. All very good. Outside there is more tables to drink or eat as well as a nice pool with loungers to sit and relax. You can actually have a good time just staying here all day and drink,eat and swim. There is also a large area outside where every night they show a movie. This is the nicest sports bar by far from any resort we have ever stayed at.

Now some things they can improve on. They could use one more bathroom. The walk isn't far to get to one but would be more convenient if they had one more as the ones they have are not large. Often there is a few women waiting to use the bathroom.
There is not enough tables at the bar areas for people to sit and have a cocktail. This is especially a concern at night. I would suggest they take away the mexican restaurant and make it into a lounge with tables and entertainment. (band at night like some other resorts I have stayed at and enjoy at night) They have a mexican mariachi every night but it seems like they know 6 songs and you hear the same six every night.

This is a resort to relax at. If you are into the nightlife this resort isn't for you, There is a theate where the animation crew do shows every night. I can't comment on them as we didn't go to any. I have stayed at enough resorts and have seen them so many times that I didn't need to see any more lol.

Some people from other reviews complained that the resort next door (Oasis Grand) actually attached the the tulum in one area has more privaledges, which they do. The room top bar for example is for them only. You get what you pay for. If you want those rooms and those privaledges then go to the front desk and pay for an upgrade. Those people paid more then the Tulum people so should get something "extra" for the added expense. My opinion is it's not worth it as they eat in the same buffet as we did, and they would often come and use our pools.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to email me.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Since it's been there a while, it's much closer to the water than any of it's neighbors. Most of it had been refurbished but some of it is still a work in progress. The plumbing has not seen much attention though. The staff, the soul and backbone of a resort, is golden at the Oasis Tulum. They are happy to please if you ask. Not at first satisfied with our accommodations they subsequently landed us a suite better than we could have imagined. The food at the buffet was very good however the restaurants were under par. The location and ambiance were not overboard or lacking if you have middle class expectations. The bang for your buck was inarguable.

Room Tip: Book an ocean side room and you will not regret it
Watertown, South Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Feb 8th-16th
I have been to a lot of resorts...This place is a mixed bag...
Beach is wonderful, one of the very best! It is a smaller, quieter resort; I liked that.
Beds weren't rock hard, like many other resorts, so we slept better.
Food was ok in general. The Careyes food was wonderful, presentation & taste, but was $25 per person extra.
Down side-this property is worn. Our refrigerator did not work. The front desk check in was horrible. They don't explain anything to you. The liquor quality was horrible. Cheapest stuff around. The beer was good...if you like beer, you'll be happy. No dark rum, no name brand tequila, no Kaluah. Wine is terrible. You can buy a bottle of a little better wine for $21.00.
They don't have enough help to serve you. The people they have are trying hard, but there are enough of them.
If you want excitement, you'll be bored here. I liked not having to listen to all the resort contest nonsense.
This resort could be really nice. Management needs to pay attention to these reviews.
I really felt the resort was a bait & switch. We thought we were getting the whole resort, and everything was included. Not so! You have to book the "Grand Oasis." Be very careful when you book. Will we go back? NO!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms-you may not be able to see the ocean. The palms are mature & block the views.
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Lately this place got so many negative reviews and we didn't know what to expect going there. Honestly, it's not bad at all. It has some issues, but it will not ruin your vacation. Here I copy and paste message that I left to Oasis representative on FB.
We got back from our trip to Oasis Tulum and as promised I'm giving you a feedback that may help to make the hotel even better.
Overall we were happy at Oasis Tulum, enjoyed the sun and ocean. The property is nice and well kept, food was good, staff is friendly. Rooms are clean and nice, but you guys should put irons in every room. It will not cost much. Also there are some problems with hot water, the pressure is not constant and as a result you have very contrast shower. :))
Italian restaurant looks very cheap, lacking any decorations and has poor lighting. I didn't feel warm and relaxing at this place. Maybe because of that i didn't enjoy food there either. But Asian cafe, Mexican place and buffet are good.
Beach towels - you seriously should fix this problem ASAP. It's ridiculous, you go to the all inclusive on the beach and can't get beach towel from the hotel. But again, beach is beautiful and clean. One thing that i would like to see is a pool on the beach for toddlers. I saw families with small kids and on the stormy days it was inconvenient for them to entertain kids on the beach. It's a great small hotel with a lot of potential which i would definitely consider for our future family vacation, if you could do beach a little bit more kids friendly.
Also, some minor things. I understand that hotel is overbooked now. One girl came to us offering to switch to Oasis Cancun and as a reason for this named " big doctor's conference that will start soon in Oasis Tulum". Please, treat your guests with respect and try not to use fake stories to fix the situation.
As a resume, I probably will choose this hotel for our own vacation, but i'm not comfortable to recommend this place to friends.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Granted we were rather concerned about the Oasis Tulum, having read so many negative reviews. However, I am happy to say our - my wife and I and another couple - had a fantastic week there. We returned home on feb. 14 after a week's vacation. The horrors of a day trip to Playa Del Carmen is another story.

When we arrived near midnight on the 7th we were upgraded to the Grand Oasis. Our room was just off the lobby on the second floor. It was large clean and very private. Two double beds. A queen or king would have been nice... But what the hell! The lobby and bar are quite lovely and, for the most part, the staff was pleasant and helpful even if some of them had very little understanding and knowledge of english. Then again, it is their country. We owe it to them, and ourselves, to have a rudimentary knowledge of spanish.

As guests at the Grand Oasis we a few restrictions on where to eat or enjoy a drink. Contrary to other reviews we found the buffet at Arrecifes to be very good. Each day provided an interesting variety of choices. And with a little creativity, we were more than satisfied with the fare.

Dos Lunas is a disaster. Stay away!!

The mexican restaurant, Sarape, is as authentic as it gets. It sure ain't Tex-Mex which many tourists appear to mistake as mexican. And the band is exceptional. I can't say enough about the sweet voice of the singer or the interplay between the two violinists.

Careyes is absolutely incredible. Serving inspired mexican fusion cuisine, it is well worth the extra $25 you may have to pay to eat there.

More to follow.
Robbie

Dauphin, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I was going to make this short: read every review (both good and bad), believe them all, and decide whether or not you want a potentially negative experience to RUIN your vacation. But on second thought I decided to share our experience to benefit all travellers considering the Oasis Tulum.

Without going into too much boring detail, this is a summary of our stay:

* Arrived at 1:00 am Feb 8/2013 and were immediately upgraded to "Grand", but were not told why or what this entitled us to

* We were graciously escorted to our rooms, in the middle of a construction zone

* There were no chains or deadbolts on our doors We were issued a metal key to the door, because there was no electronic lock on the door to match the key card that they gave us. Our patio door had been pryed opened several times previously, and there were 3 sets of holes where the stryker had been broken out, redrilled and reset (our room being ground level). By the time we got a new room the patio door did not lock at all, so we often just used it to enter

* Water was literally splashing continuously through a louvered panel above the toilet, onto the toilet tank and seat, and ran down the wall. The water leak in the plumbing could be heard loud and clear. One had to wipe the water off the seat to use the toilet every time, and your back would be wet from the splash (THIS IS NOT AN EXAGERATION!!!!!!!!!!!!)

* Housekeeping could not make our room or stock our minibar because they did not have a key. We never got water or beer in our fridge once (even though we called front desk at least 3 times a day to inform them of the situation) from the time we arrived until we were issued a different room

* We were greeted every morning to the sounds of hammer drills, grinders and general construction outside our room door at 8:00 am, even Saturday and Sunday

* The morning after check in I went to the front desk to request a different room, but he said nothing was available until Feb 12. We decided to try to make the best of a bad situation

* Finally on Tuesday, Feb. 12, I went to the front desk and asked the manager to take a walk with me to show him our situation. He said that his staff had down played our situation to him, and we were immediately put in a 3rd floor ocean view room. It was beautiful.

* The last 2 days, after finally being put into an inhabitable room and learning the perks of our Grand upgrade, were enjoyable

* Buffet was good, A la Cart's SUCKED, snack bars were AWESOME (once you found how and where to get snacks), service was much better toward the end (as staff improved)

* However abundant, hard liquor was low grade swill (a resort on the Caribbean without dark rum????!!!) unless you want to pay $9/shot. Beer was great (Dos Equis). Water seemed tough to get, and only 1 bottle/person at a time

* During our stay we met many other guests who had similar or worse experiences (mostly due to rooms not fit to be stayed in), and all stated that, while experience as a whole was not horrible, they would not be back

* My advise to Oasis Tulum: Be sure your guests are greeted with a room that is clean, functional and secure, and their stay will likey be enjoyable from then on. Also, take some time to point out the ammenities that are available to them, and how to access these ammenities. This helps to make the guest feel like thier stay was worthwhile.

Room Tip: Definately Grand, Ocean view if possible, but avoid the "2100" ground level rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!