“Better then expected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Tulum

You added Oasis Tulum to your Saves list
Oasis Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km. 251, Akumal 77780, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Grand Riviera Maya)   |
Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Windsor
“Better then expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We recently just got back from a two week stay at this resort, from February 4th thru to Feb 14th 2013. We were worried about all the negitive reviews we read on this site from other travellers about maybe making a mistake about going here. My wife and I were pleasantly pleased. this resort is fine depending on what type of vacation you enjoy. If your someone who loves the nightlife and partying then you will probably be disappointed.

This is a small resort, nothing like the Bahia Principe properties next door (coba,tulum,ackumel etc) where the property is so huge you need to take shuttles to get around or have very long walks. A two minute walk will get you everywhere from your room to the lobby, to the bars to the buffet and ocean. I will try to make comments about each area. We have stayed in Mexico several times and have stayed at differant resorts so I feel we can give an hones assessment.

Check-in- This resort is about 1 1/2 hrs away from the Cancun airport. Depending on traffic it could be quicker and also depends on how many stops they have to make dropping people off at other resorts along the way. Myself I don't mind the stops as I am curious about what other resorts look like. The check-in was fine with no problems. We arrived early so were told we have about an hour wait for our rooms, they gave us the arm bands so we went to the bar for drinks while waiting. As promised the room was ready on time.

Rooms- The room was not large but large enough that we were not disappointed. Bathroom was large. Some rooms had king beds, some queen some two doubles. Beside the bed there was a small table with two chairs and either a patio (grnd floor) or balcony (2nd or 3rd floor) There are no elevators so there are stairs to climb if on the 2nd or 3rd floor. Rooms are clean and decorated nicely with a large closet and large dresser. Safe is in the closet. Rooms are cleaned and beds made daily, like other resorts they make the towel animals most of the time.

Pools- There is two pools one being seperated from the other with a wall and waterfall. There is a pool bar with stools in each section. You can't see the ocean from the pool. We had no problems with this area and spent most of out time in this area. One problem as compared to other resorts is depending on what you drink somedays they have it some days they don't. For example I like Bacardi rum, some days they had barcardi other days they had rum but the mexican brand. Some days they had clamato for ceasers and some days they ran out and had no clamato. It was no big deal for me but some might find it a negitive. There are lounge chairs and several posts with the straw tops for shade. You will read from others that there are not enough chairs at the pools and the ocean. We did put towels on our chairs to reserve them around 7 in the morning on our way to coffee and breakfast. If you are one to sleep in then I suppose you might find trouble finding a lounge chair or have to move some, but this is typical of ALL resorts. I have stayed at 6 star resorts and the problem is the same. No resort has enough chairs to accomodate every single person at one time. Same for the Ocean, it's a beautiful beach with chairs, but if most of the resort decide to head there for sitting, unless you get there early or reserve with towels you won't get a lounger.

Food- Like other all-inclusives they have a buffet for breakfast,lunch and dinner. It's not a huge room but again it's not a huge resort. Depending on when you go you may have to wait 5 or 10 minutes for a table. But I have had to wait for a table going to the Keg or Red Lobster etc here at home so this was no big deal. The food was very good, always had pork,beef,chicken and fish every night. The ladies loved the salad bar and the deserts were very good. For breakfast they had an omelette station where they make them fresh in front of you, or you could have scrambled eggs,pancakes,waffels etc.

By the pool they had a sit down snack place called the Happy chicken. There you can sit in your bathing suit and have hamburgs,hotdogs,chicken wings, fries,coleslaw etc. It is made fresh for you, not made an hour before hand where it gets cold and the flies are all over it. Went here daily. The chicken wings and hamburgers were excellant.

There is two a-la-carte restaurants where you reserve in the lobby the morning of when you wish to go. They have a mexican and Italian restaurant. My preferance was the Italian but the Mexican wasn't bad. If you still happen to be hungry after the sit down meal there you can always walk down the hall to the buffet and eat more. Beleive me you won't go to bed hungry.

SportsBar- You can walk or there is a shuttle that will take you to the sports bar as it's about a 5 minute walk up the road. It's probably the best kept secret here as many I talked too didn't know they had such a place. It is a large modern building with several TV's and one very large screen TV all inside. Normally at night they show an NHL hockey game. You can sit and get waited on for drinks and snacks. The snack bar is called Whimpy's which again makes the food to order so nice and hot when you get it. They have nachoes,burgers,fries, clubhouses etc. All very good. Outside there is more tables to drink or eat as well as a nice pool with loungers to sit and relax. You can actually have a good time just staying here all day and drink,eat and swim. There is also a large area outside where every night they show a movie. This is the nicest sports bar by far from any resort we have ever stayed at.

Now some things they can improve on. They could use one more bathroom. The walk isn't far to get to one but would be more convenient if they had one more as the ones they have are not large. Often there is a few women waiting to use the bathroom.
There is not enough tables at the bar areas for people to sit and have a cocktail. This is especially a concern at night. I would suggest they take away the mexican restaurant and make it into a lounge with tables and entertainment. (band at night like some other resorts I have stayed at and enjoy at night) They have a mexican mariachi every night but it seems like they know 6 songs and you hear the same six every night.

This is a resort to relax at. If you are into the nightlife this resort isn't for you, There is a theate where the animation crew do shows every night. I can't comment on them as we didn't go to any. I have stayed at enough resorts and have seen them so many times that I didn't need to see any more lol.

Some people from other reviews complained that the resort next door (Oasis Grand) actually attached the the tulum in one area has more privaledges, which they do. The room top bar for example is for them only. You get what you pay for. If you want those rooms and those privaledges then go to the front desk and pay for an upgrade. Those people paid more then the Tulum people so should get something "extra" for the added expense. My opinion is it's not worth it as they eat in the same buffet as we did, and they would often come and use our pools.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to email me.

14 Thank Liolynn

Allentown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Since it's been there a while, it's much closer to the water than any of it's neighbors. Most of it had been refurbished but some of it is still a work in progress. The plumbing has not seen much attention though. The staff, the soul and backbone of a resort, is golden at the Oasis Tulum. They are happy to please if you ask. Not at first satisfied with our accommodations they subsequently landed us a suite better than we could have imagined. The food at the buffet was very good however the restaurants were under par. The location and ambiance were not overboard or lacking if you have middle class expectations. The bang for your buck was inarguable.

Room Tip: Book an ocean side room and you will not regret it
7 Thank barb883
Watertown, South Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Feb 8th-16th
I have been to a lot of resorts...This place is a mixed bag...
Beach is wonderful, one of the very best! It is a smaller, quieter resort; I liked that.
Beds weren't rock hard, like many other resorts, so we slept better.
Food was ok in general. The Careyes food was wonderful, presentation & taste, but was $25 per person extra.
Down side-this property is worn. Our refrigerator did not work. The front desk check in was horrible. They don't explain anything to you. The liquor quality was horrible. Cheapest stuff around. The beer was good...if you like beer, you'll be happy. No dark rum, no name brand tequila, no Kaluah. Wine is terrible. You can buy a bottle of a little better wine for $21.00.
They don't have enough help to serve you. The people they have are trying hard, but there are enough of them.
If you want excitement, you'll be bored here. I liked not having to listen to all the resort contest nonsense.
This resort could be really nice. Management needs to pay attention to these reviews.
I really felt the resort was a bait & switch. We thought we were getting the whole resort, and everything was included. Not so! You have to book the "Grand Oasis." Be very careful when you book. Will we go back? NO!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms-you may not be able to see the ocean. The palms are mature & block the views.
    • 1 of 5 stars
7 Thank Pandorasdaughter
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Lately this place got so many negative reviews and we didn't know what to expect going there. Honestly, it's not bad at all. It has some issues, but it will not ruin your vacation. Here I copy and paste message that I left to Oasis representative on FB.
We got back from our trip to Oasis Tulum and as promised I'm giving you a feedback that may help to make the hotel even better.
Overall we were happy at Oasis Tulum, enjoyed the sun and ocean. The property is nice and well kept, food was good, staff is friendly. Rooms are clean and nice, but you guys should put irons in every room. It will not cost much. Also there are some problems with hot water, the pressure is not constant and as a result you have very contrast shower. :))
Italian restaurant looks very cheap, lacking any decorations and has poor lighting. I didn't feel warm and relaxing at this place. Maybe because of that i didn't enjoy food there either. But Asian cafe, Mexican place and buffet are good.
Beach towels - you seriously should fix this problem ASAP. It's ridiculous, you go to the all inclusive on the beach and can't get beach towel from the hotel. But again, beach is beautiful and clean. One thing that i would like to see is a pool on the beach for toddlers. I saw families with small kids and on the stormy days it was inconvenient for them to entertain kids on the beach. It's a great small hotel with a lot of potential which i would definitely consider for our future family vacation, if you could do beach a little bit more kids friendly.
Also, some minor things. I understand that hotel is overbooked now. One girl came to us offering to switch to Oasis Cancun and as a reason for this named " big doctor's conference that will start soon in Oasis Tulum". Please, treat your guests with respect and try not to use fake stories to fix the situation.
As a resume, I probably will choose this hotel for our own vacation, but i'm not comfortable to recommend this place to friends.

2 Thank Sandy_Di
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Granted we were rather concerned about the Oasis Tulum, having read so many negative reviews. However, I am happy to say our - my wife and I and another couple - had a fantastic week there. We returned home on feb. 14 after a week's vacation. The horrors of a day trip to Playa Del Carmen is another story.

When we arrived near midnight on the 7th we were upgraded to the Grand Oasis. Our room was just off the lobby on the second floor. It was large clean and very private. Two double beds. A queen or king would have been nice... But what the hell! The lobby and bar are quite lovely and, for the most part, the staff was pleasant and helpful even if some of them had very little understanding and knowledge of english. Then again, it is their country. We owe it to them, and ourselves, to have a rudimentary knowledge of spanish.

As guests at the Grand Oasis we a few restrictions on where to eat or enjoy a drink. Contrary to other reviews we found the buffet at Arrecifes to be very good. Each day provided an interesting variety of choices. And with a little creativity, we were more than satisfied with the fare.

Dos Lunas is a disaster. Stay away!!

The mexican restaurant, Sarape, is as authentic as it gets. It sure ain't Tex-Mex which many tourists appear to mistake as mexican. And the band is exceptional. I can't say enough about the sweet voice of the singer or the interplay between the two violinists.

Careyes is absolutely incredible. Serving inspired mexican fusion cuisine, it is well worth the extra $25 you may have to pay to eat there.

More to follow.
Robbie

4 Thank Robbie D
Dauphin, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I was going to make this short: read every review (both good and bad), believe them all, and decide whether or not you want a potentially negative experience to RUIN your vacation. But on second thought I decided to share our experience to benefit all travellers considering the Oasis Tulum.

Without going into too much boring detail, this is a summary of our stay:

* Arrived at 1:00 am Feb 8/2013 and were immediately upgraded to "Grand", but were not told why or what this entitled us to

* We were graciously escorted to our rooms, in the middle of a construction zone

* There were no chains or deadbolts on our doors We were issued a metal key to the door, because there was no electronic lock on the door to match the key card that they gave us. Our patio door had been pryed opened several times previously, and there were 3 sets of holes where the stryker had been broken out, redrilled and reset (our room being ground level). By the time we got a new room the patio door did not lock at all, so we often just used it to enter

* Water was literally splashing continuously through a louvered panel above the toilet, onto the toilet tank and seat, and ran down the wall. The water leak in the plumbing could be heard loud and clear. One had to wipe the water off the seat to use the toilet every time, and your back would be wet from the splash (THIS IS NOT AN EXAGERATION!!!!!!!!!!!!)

* Housekeeping could not make our room or stock our minibar because they did not have a key. We never got water or beer in our fridge once (even though we called front desk at least 3 times a day to inform them of the situation) from the time we arrived until we were issued a different room

* We were greeted every morning to the sounds of hammer drills, grinders and general construction outside our room door at 8:00 am, even Saturday and Sunday

* The morning after check in I went to the front desk to request a different room, but he said nothing was available until Feb 12. We decided to try to make the best of a bad situation

* Finally on Tuesday, Feb. 12, I went to the front desk and asked the manager to take a walk with me to show him our situation. He said that his staff had down played our situation to him, and we were immediately put in a 3rd floor ocean view room. It was beautiful.

* The last 2 days, after finally being put into an inhabitable room and learning the perks of our Grand upgrade, were enjoyable

* Buffet was good, A la Cart's SUCKED, snack bars were AWESOME (once you found how and where to get snacks), service was much better toward the end (as staff improved)

* However abundant, hard liquor was low grade swill (a resort on the Caribbean without dark rum????!!!) unless you want to pay $9/shot. Beer was great (Dos Equis). Water seemed tough to get, and only 1 bottle/person at a time

* During our stay we met many other guests who had similar or worse experiences (mostly due to rooms not fit to be stayed in), and all stated that, while experience as a whole was not horrible, they would not be back

* My advise to Oasis Tulum: Be sure your guests are greeted with a room that is clean, functional and secure, and their stay will likey be enjoyable from then on. Also, take some time to point out the ammenities that are available to them, and how to access these ammenities. This helps to make the guest feel like thier stay was worthwhile.

Room Tip: Definately Grand, Ocean view if possible, but avoid the "2100" ground level rooms
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Darren and Shir... G
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Grand Oasis Tulum Jan 31st till Feb 8th. We had read all the horrible reviews and were going on this holiday expecting the worst!! Which were for the Oasis Tulum there is a difference !! When we arrived we took a private shuttle to save the bus ride which saved a lot of time. We got to the lobby which was very nice all marble and very modern. Front desk had our wrist bands and rooms all ready to go. We booked garden view rooms but all 3 couples were upgraded to ocean front which was awesome. We got a 3rd floor one which has wall to wall windows so the views were amazing you could see the ocean right from the shower which was very cool. Rooms were big and brand new and beds were very comfy. Fridge stacked with pop water and beer. Electronic safe on the floor in closet no fee.
Food : morning buffet was the only time we ate at buffet. There is separate section for the grand guests. When they see your grand they seat you right away in that section and there is a difference in service for sure we sat in regular section once noticeable difference you even get champagne for mimosa in the morning which was popular with the wives. The food choices were excellent and varied every day. Mariana at the omelet station was the best great smile to start your day. And made a heck of a breakfast as well. we ate lunch at the different ala carts that we're open for lunch the Asian Bistro Akura was the best happy chicken also was very good. We ate at the Mexican ala cart 5 course meal was fantastic. We stopped by the buffet to check out desert but at night it looked like a dorm cafeteria food looked ok but environment was not appealing at all.
Beach : Not enough beach chairs for any one , grand side private beach area very nice with chair side service from 9 in the morning all day. Great snorkeling right in front of the resort. Bring water shoes as its very rocky in spots and there are sea eurchins all over the place. Best part of beach area was Hipolita out waitress she was fantastic! Brought us food drinks what ever we needed went out of her way to make our day the best it could be.
Pools : infinity pool is small And only available to grand side guests. It has a small swim up bar which is nice. Pool by grand side being upgraded with led light ect. Pool on Oasis side very nice again with swin up bar. Liberato our bartender friend kept us loose all day and well hydrated if you know I mean.
The single best area was the roof top lounge area. Cooling pools and bar service nothing beats it. Laying by the pools in the sun then pop in the pools to cool down then back in the sun. Ricardo and Guadeloupe on the roof top were the best! They went out of there way to make sure we were happy. Thanks !!!

Does this resort have issues yes did we have issues yes. But the one thing you have to keep in mind it's Mexico. If you need help skip front desk go see the girls at concierge desk. They seam to get things done.

Would book the Grand Oasis again in a heartbeat.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank stbhcouple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akumal
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
4.0 of 5 stars 974 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!