“It's All Good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Tulum

You added Oasis Tulum to your Saves list
Oasis Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km. 251, Akumal 77780, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Grand Riviera Maya)   |
Special Offer
Over 50% Secluded Resort
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“It's All Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Since it's been there a while, it's much closer to the water than any of it's neighbors. Most of it had been refurbished but some of it is still a work in progress. The plumbing has not seen much attention though. The staff, the soul and backbone of a resort, is golden at the Oasis Tulum. They are happy to please if you ask. Not at first satisfied with our accommodations they subsequently landed us a suite better than we could have imagined. The food at the buffet was very good however the restaurants were under par. The location and ambiance were not overboard or lacking if you have middle class expectations. The bang for your buck was inarguable.

Room Tip: Book an ocean side room and you will not regret it
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Watertown, South Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Feb 8th-16th
I have been to a lot of resorts...This place is a mixed bag...
Beach is wonderful, one of the very best! It is a smaller, quieter resort; I liked that.
Beds weren't rock hard, like many other resorts, so we slept better.
Food was ok in general. The Careyes food was wonderful, presentation & taste, but was $25 per person extra.
Down side-this property is worn. Our refrigerator did not work. The front desk check in was horrible. They don't explain anything to you. The liquor quality was horrible. Cheapest stuff around. The beer was good...if you like beer, you'll be happy. No dark rum, no name brand tequila, no Kaluah. Wine is terrible. You can buy a bottle of a little better wine for $21.00.
They don't have enough help to serve you. The people they have are trying hard, but there are enough of them.
If you want excitement, you'll be bored here. I liked not having to listen to all the resort contest nonsense.
This resort could be really nice. Management needs to pay attention to these reviews.
I really felt the resort was a bait & switch. We thought we were getting the whole resort, and everything was included. Not so! You have to book the "Grand Oasis." Be very careful when you book. Will we go back? NO!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms-you may not be able to see the ocean. The palms are mature & block the views.
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Lately this place got so many negative reviews and we didn't know what to expect going there. Honestly, it's not bad at all. It has some issues, but it will not ruin your vacation. Here I copy and paste message that I left to Oasis representative on FB.
We got back from our trip to Oasis Tulum and as promised I'm giving you a feedback that may help to make the hotel even better.
Overall we were happy at Oasis Tulum, enjoyed the sun and ocean. The property is nice and well kept, food was good, staff is friendly. Rooms are clean and nice, but you guys should put irons in every room. It will not cost much. Also there are some problems with hot water, the pressure is not constant and as a result you have very contrast shower. :))
Italian restaurant looks very cheap, lacking any decorations and has poor lighting. I didn't feel warm and relaxing at this place. Maybe because of that i didn't enjoy food there either. But Asian cafe, Mexican place and buffet are good.
Beach towels - you seriously should fix this problem ASAP. It's ridiculous, you go to the all inclusive on the beach and can't get beach towel from the hotel. But again, beach is beautiful and clean. One thing that i would like to see is a pool on the beach for toddlers. I saw families with small kids and on the stormy days it was inconvenient for them to entertain kids on the beach. It's a great small hotel with a lot of potential which i would definitely consider for our future family vacation, if you could do beach a little bit more kids friendly.
Also, some minor things. I understand that hotel is overbooked now. One girl came to us offering to switch to Oasis Cancun and as a reason for this named " big doctor's conference that will start soon in Oasis Tulum". Please, treat your guests with respect and try not to use fake stories to fix the situation.
As a resume, I probably will choose this hotel for our own vacation, but i'm not comfortable to recommend this place to friends.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Granted we were rather concerned about the Oasis Tulum, having read so many negative reviews. However, I am happy to say our - my wife and I and another couple - had a fantastic week there. We returned home on feb. 14 after a week's vacation. The horrors of a day trip to Playa Del Carmen is another story.

When we arrived near midnight on the 7th we were upgraded to the Grand Oasis. Our room was just off the lobby on the second floor. It was large clean and very private. Two double beds. A queen or king would have been nice... But what the hell! The lobby and bar are quite lovely and, for the most part, the staff was pleasant and helpful even if some of them had very little understanding and knowledge of english. Then again, it is their country. We owe it to them, and ourselves, to have a rudimentary knowledge of spanish.

As guests at the Grand Oasis we a few restrictions on where to eat or enjoy a drink. Contrary to other reviews we found the buffet at Arrecifes to be very good. Each day provided an interesting variety of choices. And with a little creativity, we were more than satisfied with the fare.

Dos Lunas is a disaster. Stay away!!

The mexican restaurant, Sarape, is as authentic as it gets. It sure ain't Tex-Mex which many tourists appear to mistake as mexican. And the band is exceptional. I can't say enough about the sweet voice of the singer or the interplay between the two violinists.

Careyes is absolutely incredible. Serving inspired mexican fusion cuisine, it is well worth the extra $25 you may have to pay to eat there.

More to follow.
Robbie

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dauphin, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I was going to make this short: read every review (both good and bad), believe them all, and decide whether or not you want a potentially negative experience to RUIN your vacation. But on second thought I decided to share our experience to benefit all travellers considering the Oasis Tulum.

Without going into too much boring detail, this is a summary of our stay:

* Arrived at 1:00 am Feb 8/2013 and were immediately upgraded to "Grand", but were not told why or what this entitled us to

* We were graciously escorted to our rooms, in the middle of a construction zone

* There were no chains or deadbolts on our doors We were issued a metal key to the door, because there was no electronic lock on the door to match the key card that they gave us. Our patio door had been pryed opened several times previously, and there were 3 sets of holes where the stryker had been broken out, redrilled and reset (our room being ground level). By the time we got a new room the patio door did not lock at all, so we often just used it to enter

* Water was literally splashing continuously through a louvered panel above the toilet, onto the toilet tank and seat, and ran down the wall. The water leak in the plumbing could be heard loud and clear. One had to wipe the water off the seat to use the toilet every time, and your back would be wet from the splash (THIS IS NOT AN EXAGERATION!!!!!!!!!!!!)

* Housekeeping could not make our room or stock our minibar because they did not have a key. We never got water or beer in our fridge once (even though we called front desk at least 3 times a day to inform them of the situation) from the time we arrived until we were issued a different room

* We were greeted every morning to the sounds of hammer drills, grinders and general construction outside our room door at 8:00 am, even Saturday and Sunday

* The morning after check in I went to the front desk to request a different room, but he said nothing was available until Feb 12. We decided to try to make the best of a bad situation

* Finally on Tuesday, Feb. 12, I went to the front desk and asked the manager to take a walk with me to show him our situation. He said that his staff had down played our situation to him, and we were immediately put in a 3rd floor ocean view room. It was beautiful.

* The last 2 days, after finally being put into an inhabitable room and learning the perks of our Grand upgrade, were enjoyable

* Buffet was good, A la Cart's SUCKED, snack bars were AWESOME (once you found how and where to get snacks), service was much better toward the end (as staff improved)

* However abundant, hard liquor was low grade swill (a resort on the Caribbean without dark rum????!!!) unless you want to pay $9/shot. Beer was great (Dos Equis). Water seemed tough to get, and only 1 bottle/person at a time

* During our stay we met many other guests who had similar or worse experiences (mostly due to rooms not fit to be stayed in), and all stated that, while experience as a whole was not horrible, they would not be back

* My advise to Oasis Tulum: Be sure your guests are greeted with a room that is clean, functional and secure, and their stay will likey be enjoyable from then on. Also, take some time to point out the ammenities that are available to them, and how to access these ammenities. This helps to make the guest feel like thier stay was worthwhile.

Room Tip: Definately Grand, Ocean view if possible, but avoid the "2100" ground level rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Grand Oasis Tulum Jan 31st till Feb 8th. We had read all the horrible reviews and were going on this holiday expecting the worst!! Which were for the Oasis Tulum there is a difference !! When we arrived we took a private shuttle to save the bus ride which saved a lot of time. We got to the lobby which was very nice all marble and very modern. Front desk had our wrist bands and rooms all ready to go. We booked garden view rooms but all 3 couples were upgraded to ocean front which was awesome. We got a 3rd floor one which has wall to wall windows so the views were amazing you could see the ocean right from the shower which was very cool. Rooms were big and brand new and beds were very comfy. Fridge stacked with pop water and beer. Electronic safe on the floor in closet no fee.
Food : morning buffet was the only time we ate at buffet. There is separate section for the grand guests. When they see your grand they seat you right away in that section and there is a difference in service for sure we sat in regular section once noticeable difference you even get champagne for mimosa in the morning which was popular with the wives. The food choices were excellent and varied every day. Mariana at the omelet station was the best great smile to start your day. And made a heck of a breakfast as well. we ate lunch at the different ala carts that we're open for lunch the Asian Bistro Akura was the best happy chicken also was very good. We ate at the Mexican ala cart 5 course meal was fantastic. We stopped by the buffet to check out desert but at night it looked like a dorm cafeteria food looked ok but environment was not appealing at all.
Beach : Not enough beach chairs for any one , grand side private beach area very nice with chair side service from 9 in the morning all day. Great snorkeling right in front of the resort. Bring water shoes as its very rocky in spots and there are sea eurchins all over the place. Best part of beach area was Hipolita out waitress she was fantastic! Brought us food drinks what ever we needed went out of her way to make our day the best it could be.
Pools : infinity pool is small And only available to grand side guests. It has a small swim up bar which is nice. Pool by grand side being upgraded with led light ect. Pool on Oasis side very nice again with swin up bar. Liberato our bartender friend kept us loose all day and well hydrated if you know I mean.
The single best area was the roof top lounge area. Cooling pools and bar service nothing beats it. Laying by the pools in the sun then pop in the pools to cool down then back in the sun. Ricardo and Guadeloupe on the roof top were the best! They went out of there way to make sure we were happy. Thanks !!!

Does this resort have issues yes did we have issues yes. But the one thing you have to keep in mind it's Mexico. If you need help skip front desk go see the girls at concierge desk. They seam to get things done.

Would book the Grand Oasis again in a heartbeat.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
South Burlington, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I won't go back to the Oasis Tulum, though, as I expected the horrific reports were, from my perspective, subjective. The beach was small and the shade in short supply. The food was not bad and I enjoyed to plentiful fresh fruits and vegies. This was my fourth trip to the Riviera Maya and have found that, even at the few expensive restaurants I've been to, the food is Americanized. At the Oasis, I wasn't inspired but I enjoyed the buffets.
The drinks were weak and not "top shelf" but anyone paying for an All Inclusive should not expect more. The room was musty at first, but that's life in the tropics and, after the AC was turned on, it was comfortable.
Most of the servers seemed to be working hard and aiming to please, but they were also in short supply. Each was being asked to serve too many tables and, often things were delayed or overlooked. There would often be waits for clean beach towels, clean glasses, etc. No big deal but not the signs of a well run establishment.
What bothered me the most, though, was the feeling of being a "second class" guest. The advertising was misleading as to the different amenities of the Oasis and the Grand Oasis. It was never clear to me the difference except when I observed the limited access that I had to amenities that I was led to believe by the advertisements were open to all. The most obvious was the so called "Infinite Pool" that, when I tried to just look at it, was waved away by a staff member. He wasn't rude, but I had to be told "my place".
I'm not sure if I would have been willing to pay for the Grand amenities if I had been aware from the start but I didn't appreciate the mostly unspoken discriminations. I think that the Oasis pretention to luxury and overall OK realities are a big underlying part of the unsatisfied reviews.
I didn't feel the need to try and escape to other resorts as some people reportedly did but there was nothing special about the Oasis that would make me want to return. There are too many other options that include reasonable comfort and, above all else, the Caribbean pleasures.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!