Read many varied reviews, stayed Jan 30-Feb 6. We traveled as two couples staying on old side of resort in garden suites (cheapest tier), here's my synopsis and keep reading if you like detail. One minor "warning"... there are two resorts here. Oasis Tulum and GRAND Oasis Tulum. Grand features newer rooms, a fancy lobby, coffee bar and infinity pools. Don't expect the sweet pools and rooftop patio unless you book GRAND.
It's a nice resort that offers a beautiful beach and pools, amazing snorkeling, entertainment and many great adventures very close. Most of the staff are very helpful, but service can seem slow at times. I think the resort is growing and they're slow to catch up. It's a "quiet" resort (only 300 rooms) for those who don't want to stay in a mega hotel and the private beach is right on the resort.
If you're looking to relax, lounge and maybe do a few adventures and don't mind a few minor issues I recommend you stay here. Regarding the complaints... Be honest with yourself, if you're high maintenance you're gonna have complaints. Yes, it smells swampy sometimes, it's the tropics. Yes, the old rooms have a few issues, a tap might not work 100%. Yes, the staff sometimes speak broken English, it's Mexico and your Spanish is no better. If you want a princess perfect vacation stay in a huge resort in Cancun with two more stars. Yes, I jealously guarded my beach towel, and beach chairs as there were few (they got more while I was staying there). If you can look past the minor issues it's a great place with abundant natural beauty, good staff and great food/drinks.
- Snorkeling right on the resort. Within minutes I saw more fish and squid than I expected. Want more? Head to Akumal beach and swim with the turtles. Yes we saw some.
- Buffet food was very good, minor waits at peak times. A la carte restaurants were both great and snack bars were good as well.
- Pool and beach are amazing.
- Entertainment staff, bartenders and servers are really friendly, Emilio, Freddy, Ben, Hector, Manuel and Efrain... they were like family. Concierge service was great (Rosa and others), car rental guy was awesome. He gave us a map and helped plan a day out.
- Rooms were cleaned and stocked every day.
- Shows were varied and the ones we saw were really great: fire-dancing, circus... wow.
- We had vegetarian and gluten-free friends and they had little trouble eating.
- We had garden suite on old resort side and man was it noisy. Could hear the neighbors talking and blowdrying easily through the adjoining doors. We were on a similar schedule so not so annoying but wow... soundproof those doors.
- Two sides of the same resort. Grand Oasis and plain Oasis. We didn't know and weren't allowed into the fancy pools unless we paid $25 a day extra. We once snuck in at night but got busted. They were nice about it...
- Front desk staff seemed a little uninformed and maybe cranky. I guess they get all the complaints and no tips, so maybe it's justified. Just saying.
- Resort could seem a little crowded at times, making service a little slow.
- Had to pay $5USD per night for safe lock, not included in room is weird. Wifi was $20USD per day.
- Beach seating was scarce, but they got more chairs in while we stayed.
- We took collectivo (cheap bus) to Playa del Carmen. It was fast and easy, cabs could cost 10x the bus. There's a 5km shopping/eating strip, if you like that sort of thing it's pretty cool.
- Rented a car and went to Coba and Tulum ruins as well as Grand cenote in one day. All in it cost us about $70USD per person for all of that and was easy to navigate thanks to car rental guy at hotel. Way cheaper than a tour and more satisfying.
- Went to Xtreme Adventure park on Sunwing tour. It was amazing, underwater cave swimming, ziplining and more...
Hope this helps, happy vacationing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "People say I'm gorgeous, but that's just how nature made me: fresh and beautiful, with a price that's definitely down to earth. I run with the quiet crowd, away from the bright lights and hustle, but my beach is the most extraordinary paradise you can imagine, with its amazing shape and coral reef, and spectacular scenery all around. Bring the family: spend time at my spa while the children check out my super new Kids' Club". ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp. and Odigeo so you can book your Oasis Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Be Live Grand Riviera Maya Hotel Akumal
- Grand Oasis Riviera Maya Akumal
- Oasis Grand Rivera Maya
- Grand Oasis Riviera Maya Hotel
- Club Oasis Akumal
- Oasis Akumal
- Oasis Grand Riviera Maya Hotel
- Oasis Tulum Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico