“Cute resort with a lot of potential” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Tulum

You added Oasis Tulum to your Saves list
Oasis Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km. 251, Akumal 77780, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Grand Riviera Maya)   |
Special Offer
Winter Sale: 40% Off!
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
San Francisco, California
“Cute resort with a lot of potential”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We were terrified by the reviews leading up to our vacation at Oasis Tulum and were pleasantly surprised overall.
The beach is amazing and there is excellent snorkeling right outside. The hotel in general (both the grand Tulum and the Oasis Tulum) are very nice except for a few minor issues. Examples include leaky faucets, beach towels running out early and average food. However, we knew that the nightly rate we were paying was not going to get us the very best that Mexican luxury resorts have to offer and simply can not complain about these things the way some of the reviews have done.
Our room (in Oasis Tulum) was very nice. It was clean, service was great and our room and beds were made daily. The staff generally were very friendly and helpful.
We would strongly recommend carrying your own snorkeling gear and visiting neighboring beaches such as Playa Del Carmel and Tulum.
The newer part of the resort is very chic and has a lot of potential, but it seems recently finished and a few finishing touches (such as hot water in small pools and jaccuzis) were not yet up and running.

Overall a great vacation without any sewage smell or any of the other hellish stories mentioned in previous reviews, at least for us.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have just returned from Oasis Tulum and was there from January 23 - 28. There were six of us total and we were all petrified after reading all the reviews and so perhaps our expectations were really low but over all I think for the price we paid which was approximately 750-900 per person ( including flight) I think it was just fine. Luckily four of us were upgraded to Grand Oasis but our other two friends were not and stayed at the normal Oasis Tulum. We went and saw their room and it was just as nice as ours just a little smaller. None of the rooms were amazing but none of them were dirty or broken down or had any smell problem etc. The staff were extremely nice and helpful. Our friends who were not upgraded to the Grand Oasis were given wrist bands to be able to access all the spots the Grand Oasis could. That actually made a huge difference as the beach area for Grand Oasis is blocked off and the Grand also has a lovely roof top with several tiny pools or tubs you can lounge around.

We were not looking for an upscale resort but wanted to save money by having access to free alcohol and food. The booze factor was perfect, i will say that the food was not good at all when compared to all my other experiences at all inclusives. That being said, we only ate at the buffet and most of the time stepped out of the resort and drove up to Tulum which is 20 minutes away and is a lovely spot to eat food.

The beach in front of the resort is very nice and the natural reef was a big plus as we could go snorkelling whenever we felt like. If you walked up the resort to check out the other beach fronts you realize this beach was probably the best in this area. The beach towels was a bit of a problem but if you pestered the staff enough you always got access to them. Again, this is not the kind of resort that is known for its service - so if your ok with running after the staff a little you are able to get everything done. There were things which could have irritated us further for instance in our room at the Grand Oasis our toilet got clogged twice but as soon as we told house keeping it was fixed, also our rooms were not cleaned at the same time every day and sometimes when we got back by 4pm they still had to clean. But all it needed was a call to the front desk and things were cleaned up promptly.

Overall i think if your expectations are to go to a first class resort and be treated like royalty you will not have that experience. But with a bunch of friends, access to a good beach front, hot sunny weather you can have a great time and let the little things slide. Also, there are still renovations going on, on the side of the Grand Oasis which may account for the lack of service and some additional noise and dirt. But again, we all had a great time. For food though we did not try any of the other restaurants but had to keep heading out to get good food.

We did get a lock for our safe and nothing was stolen from our rooms.

If you are paying a good price for this resort it should be fine. If you are over paying then i can understand your disappointment.

Please feel free to message me if you have any specific questions, I know how worried I was before leaving so would be glad to help answer your queries.

Enjoy the sunshineeeee !!!

Room Tip: The Ground Floor Rooms at the Grand Oasis were very convenient and two seconds away from the beach.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
SOLON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I want to give some hope to those of you who are reading all the horrible reviews and are contemplating switching to a different property, like we wanted to about a week ago. We just returned from Oasis Tulum yesterday and had a wonderful time. Sure, there are some minor issues with this resort but none are severe enough to ruin your vacation. We booked through Sunwing and received an excellent deal on this property, at least $1500 less than what we would have paid for the family of 4 at any other resort. I can't remember the last time we paid less than $700/person! We usually only stay at 5 star resorts and have recently stayed at Borcelo' Beach, Bahia Principe Coba and Iberostar over the last few years. We took a chance on this 4 star property and are very glad that we stuck with it.

We arrived to the resort in the evening. One suggestion I can make to you is to book a private transfer. It was only $12 more total both ways and well worth it. The resort is 60 miles away from the airport and it only took us slightly over an hour to get there in the mini van. When we go to the lobby, we were promptly greeted by the front desk staff. Our room was already assigned to us and it turned out to be in the perfect location-1st floor, ocean front and right on the beach. I don't know how we ended up in the ocean front room when the room we booked was garden view. I was prepared to pay extra for this upgraded but it was not necessary! The bell boy took us to our room and helped with the luggage. The room was very large and clean. The only problem we had with this room was minor plumbing issues. It is old and faucets do drip a bit.The water in the shower had the tendency to go from hot to cold a bit. None of these issues created a big problem for us. It was a bit annoying but not enough for us to even notify the front desk staff of the issue. The view from our patio more than made up for any issues. There is a safe in the room and we asked for the key right away when we first checked in. I was not going to take any chances with our valuables. Pay $4/day, it is well worth it to have the peace of mind! Since the room was practically on the beach we left our patio door open all day long and never experienced any problems. Our room was cleaned every day and we always had a towel animal on our bed. One day I left the tip by the TV for the cleaning staff and they did not even take it. I saw them outside the room and gave it to the cleaner later on that day. They don't want to loose their job by taking something that maybe was not meant for them. Very honest and hardworking people.
The food at this resort was very good. I really don't understand some of the complains people have made about the quality of food. There were more than enough choices and it was tasty. Salsa and guacamole were excellent and always very fresh. The fruit was wonderful, fresh and exotic.The view from the buffet restaurant can not be beat. The buffet is understaffed however. We often had to wait for our coffee in the morning and were sometimes done with our meal by the time we received them. Annoying, but again, it did not impact the quality of our vacation. There is a soft drink machine in the corner so we just got up and got our own. The staff works really hard to get to everyone but they just simply need to hire more people. If you come for dinner around 7 pm, there are a lot of people waiting for tables. It usually only took about 5-10 minutes to get a table. The hostess keeps things moving.
The shows at night were excellent, better than at all the other resorts I mentioned. Very professional and the costumes were beautiful. They actually take place at the Grand Oasis side or sometimes right on the beach which I enjoyed.
This is a very small resort. You don't have to walk more than a minute or two to get most anywhere you have to go, accept maybe the Club house. We enjoyed walking to the club house after dinner. There is a billiards table there and you can get some table games from the entertainment staff. However, if you are offered to have a room there, I would not be happy. It is a far walk to both the buffet and the beach, close to the freeway. This is one building I would not want to stay at, almost feels like a separate resort with its own pool.
The beach at this resort is excellent. It is true that you can't go to the Grand side, but honestly, the Oasis beach is better anyways! We brought our own snorkeling equipment and had a great time snorkeling. I have never experienced such great snorkeling at the resort, it was just like swimming in the aquarium! The fish is colorful and it was fun watching them. Please wear water shoes, there are sea urchins hiding under the rocks. My husband went in barefoot on the first day and inadvertently grazed one. He had two black needles stuck in his foot and we had to pick them out with a needle. The life guard was very helpful and gave him some vinegar to wash out the wounds. Supposedly it helps to get the poison out. So do wear water shoes to avoid any issues. We went out to reserve our chairs at 6:30 am and most were already taken. It was easy for us to do since we were right at the beach but it would be very annoying if we stayed further away from the beach. I enjoyed watching the sunrise and enjoyed the quiet beach this time of day. There were people there who came in the afternoon and had to put their towels right on the sand and I imaging that it was not too much fun for them. If it was me, I would walk towards the volleyball net to the right of the resort and use the chairs from the adjacent condos that were always empty. This resort can use more chairs for sure. We were not given the towel cards when we checked in and I went back later that day to ask for them. I was told that if we loose the cards, we would have to pay $15 for each one. However, this resort is very casual about towels and cards. It is true that they often ran our of towels and the towels appeared at an unpredictable time of day. I just kept an eye on the lifeguard station where they give them out and refreshed them as needed. At one point I had way more towels that we got cards for and on the last day when I turned the towels in the cards were not returned to me because they ran out. I was never asked for the cards when we checked out.
One tip I can give you is if you walk to the right of the resort(if you are facing the water) on the beach to the Bahia Prinipe resort (2nd set of roofs you see), there is a Delphinarium there. You can see the sign from the beach. Every day at 11:30 they have a free show with dolphins. If you are traveling with children they may enjoy it. We left the resort twice by Collectivo, once to go to Tulum and then to Rio Secreto. This hotel is very well located in proximity to both places. It took us about 20 minutes to get there. I really recommend both of these places, Rio Secreto should not be missed and the beach in Tulum was amazing!
This is a quiet resort, there are no loud speakers all day long to gather people up for activities. Everyting is low key. I enjoyed yoga in the morning and my husband and teenage kids loved to play volleyball on the beach and at the pool. I took a salsa lesson by the pool at 4 pm one day (they have lessons daily) and my husband and I enjoyed a massage one day ($120 for 60 minutes for both of us-reasonable). The water sports are not offered. There is not pottery painting or merchants coming to the resort, which I think would be nice and would provide the extra entertainment, however all this is available next door at the Bahia resort, so if you need more options feel free to walk there from the Beach.
We had a good, relaxing, low key time. Feel free to ask questions if you have them, I will be happy to reply. Go with an open mind and you will have a nice time!

Room Tip: Any room in the building B, C, D would be excellent, get ocean front if you can! Do not take a room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sarnia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

First, the good...
The resort is beautiful and the staff is very friendly. If you pay extra for the Grand, then you get access to everything; if you don't, then you are treated like a second-rate citizen and can't use some of the pools, restaurants, or shops. The whole coloured band system was very confusing at first.
Fortunately, we were upgraded when we arrived... Maybe because of the bad recent reviews.
The bar staff is great. Even the staff that was weak with English did their best to communicate and it wasn't an issue. Ricardo (rooftop bartender) was really good, friendly, and great with the kids!
Speaking of the rooftop, the Cafe del Mar seemed to be a kept secret. Perhaps nobody went there because it sounded like a place to eat. Instead, black/gold bands would find about a dozen small 7'x10' cold tub pools with sunning cushions around them on the roof top overlooking the bay and beach. That was a great experience since it was quiet and you felt a little secluded. You could spend the whole day there since the buffet, bathrooms and bar were right there. You could even order food from the bar and it was stocked with whatever you could drink.
The food was excellent. No complaints there.

THE BAD... a list of our experiences:
- check-in took forever; one person working and doing a whole orientation at the desk instead of having a daily orientation or something.
- 2 beds jammed together is hardly ideal. The room is big enough not to do that.
- empty space with only 2 chairs in room and nowhere to put anything. Chairs and small table were covered with out towels etc.
- A/C was aimed right at bed and was pumping cold even set at 85 degrees.
- hallways echoed all sounds right into room and was VERY loud all night long... VERY LOUD! It seemed to be mostly workers as the guests were not partying until wee hours and being obnoxious.
- no alarm clock in room. Really?
- phone light was blinking constantly; all night long; had to cover it to block light
- rooms were quickly cleaned half-assed; found dust bunnies under beds
- barely any lights and electrical socket dangling out of wall
- patio door lock was cheap and near impossible to lock in first 15 tries
- safe was really small. Door thickness took up inner 1/3. SLR + lens + wallets didn't leave much more room
- safe lock was keyed... so how secure is that? How many other keys? Is there a master? Why no self set combo like everybody else?
- you might want to rest at base camp before trying to climb into the tub; knee high for 6'4"
- bathroom didn't look properly cleaned; streaks everywhere and tub had metal handles that were disgusting
- tub didn't drain so if you had a shower, you were also having a bath; the water pressure was amazing though!
- my kids both ended up with cuts on their toes bleeding all over the place after playing in the pools. Not sure if it was from stepping on broken glass in the pool or the rough pool bottom. We got quick medical attention for them though.
- the pools were pretty chilly... but they were refreshing from the heat
- if a normal place has 20 chairs around a pool, this place will have 2 or 3... seriously! But each raised balcony seemed to have 2 lounge chairs.

To sum it up: outside=good (if you get a chair)... in room=eeek!

Room Tip: Not 2135! Try for second or third floor around pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed at the Oasis Tulum 1/21-1/25 and we have read some of the reviews of people who have recently stayed there. Most of the reviews state obvious truths-there are very few beach chairs which are claimed by 5 am each morning, beach towels are few and far between, front desk staff appears unorganized and language barrier does exist, and food at ala carte restaurants arrives slowly and is served warm-cold; definitely not worth making a reservation to partake. Our refrigerator was empty on arrival and when we asked for water instead of beer or soda, we were told there would be a charge for that. Our refrigerator was never stocked during our stay but we did receive two bottles of water daily. We did not like the wristbands and "security guards" guarding the entrance to the Grand Oasis.
All that being said, on a positive note, the beach and snorkelling are excellent. The buffet had a variety of food and we were always able to find something we liked. We found the staff to be very friendly and our waiter, Gilberto, remembered our drinks and had them on the table promptly before we went to check out the buffet each day. Our room was cleaned nicely each day and the bell staff were prompt with our luggage and showing us the resort.
We were offered a promotion to go to the Grand Oasis Viva 1/25-1/27 which we accepted along with many other guests. Most of the others were from Canada, and they were all very upset with the accomadations. We chose to go as we had not been to the HotelZone in Cancun before. The staff at the Viva were surprised by our arrival and had to put up with many unhappy Canadians, but we were checked in promptly, given a very modern, comfortable room. The beach, although very different from Tulum, was nice and although they had many more beach chairs, there were still not enough. We were given the black wristband which gave you total access so we watched the "security guards" turning people with other colors away from our little strip with few chairs and the nicer pool, yet just a few feet in front of our chairs, people were allowed to pull the other chairs over to the edge of the beach-didnt make sense at all to exclude people from a little strip of sand labeled Grand.
This hotel was listed as adults only, but kids were wandering around on the beach and in the lobby. This is also a nice place for young adults-spring breakers who like the loud music and tend to be loud once they have had a few drinks too many. We were also surprised to find that although there were more restaurants at the Viva, there were far more food choices at the buffet in Tulum.
My impression as I was listening to people talk was that they had booked the least expensive resort, but expected the quality of a 5 star resort. We usually stay at the Eldorado Royale, which has met all of our expectations, but as we booked a vacation at the last minute, the more budget friendly Oasis Tulum was less than half the cost and is also a great option for families with children, as the resort is child friendly and a decent opportunity to experience Mexico on a budget. Don't expect the Hilton experience when you book the Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Stay at the Grand as those are new and spend the extra money for a safe-$4.00 a day is not too much...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
nj
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I am saddened and very disappointed that I have to write this review, but I do so hoping to help others in their decision on resorts. I've traveled to many third world countries and stayed in many different locations, and I have NEVER experienced anything I experienced at Oasis Tulum.

I was on a celebratory vacation for my girlfriend’s birthday. We arrived on a Thursday afternoon and left Sunday morning, so not a long vaca but wanted to relax and have fun. With that in mind, we arrived Thursday to a beautiful resort after a 75 min ride from Cancun Airport. The front desk staff spoke little to no English so the language barrier was difficult. We headed to our 2nd floor room, which was extremely clean and nice, to wait for our luggage. We were going to use the safety box but didn’t realize the lock was a charge and we had to obtain it from front desk. We headed to the bar and dinner that evening. Went to bed around 1115pm only to be suddenly awaken by someone knocking on our balcony window!!! That’s right, I make sure I never get a ground floor room because of security…this time I was on the 2nd floor and the neighbor scaled the wall onto our balcony!!!!! So at 330AM I immediately called front desk hoping they would understand my plight which they had security immediately come to our room and check out the balcony. Well it was the girl in the next room “claiming she was locked out of her room” and wanted to get in. This was 330am and NO WAY for a sliding door to close “on someone” and lock from the inside…but front desk believed her and that was justifiable to the hotel front desk/security.

After finally getting to sleep we woke up and exited our room to find the front desk manager pacing saying “problemo”. We come to find out that the woman who was on our balcony her husband has been contacting the hotel all evening into the morning and was causing issues. We asked to move rooms because we didn’t’ want to deal with her any longer and was told she was removed or relocated from the property. Well that was a lie since she remained in the room next to us and they wouldn’t move us!!

Saturday we were getting ready to head to Playa del Carmen when I realized $200 was stolen from my luggage!! Called security and they said it wasn’t their responsibility cuz we didn’t use the safe which is understandable. They had NO camera but they did remove the swype key pad from to door to see who was in/out of our room. Well nothing was done about that.

So be careful when booking!! The rooms were nice, property was well cared for but pool every morning was green algae which they cleaned. We had no beach towels the entire time we stayed nor any beach chairs cuz the “gold towels” were on all the chairs which were from the Grand Oasis resort.

I contacted the management office and a few of the executives at TravAmerica, Inc. I received an email back indicating they reviewed both reports and with the stranger on our balcony they didn't see anything wrong since "she was locked out of her room" and since "she apologized" it was okay. Regarding the stolen money, they lied and said they offered for me to contact the authorities when they didn't and said that since we didn't use the lockbox it wasn't their fault. They did, as "goodwill" gesture offer two nights free, but there would be no way I would travel from NJ back to Oasis Tulum for two nights.

I am always looking for the bargin but think twice!! You def get what you pay for, go for a reputable name resort and read ALL review...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

So many things advertised when booked we not received. The bar with alcohol/beer that was suppose to be in the room wasn't there. We we stuck in the casa club and had to go through the stench of the water treatment plant, poop! No none motorized water sports as advertised. No serenity pool, no roof top bar, and HORRIBLE service.

If it were advertised as it was the riser would be fine, but we got there expecting more than was available due to false advertising.

No towels available at the beach and we had to get up at 5 to get lounge chairs!!! Who wants to get up that early on vacation or who wants to lay in the sand at a resort! Horrible!

The only positive was the quality of the sand and the snorkeling oh one bar tender was good that's all everything else was run down and crappy.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!