“Not a perfect resort but a real good value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Tulum

Save Saved
You added Oasis Tulum to your Saves list
Oasis Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km. 251, Akumal 77780, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Grand Riviera Maya)   |
Ranked #18 of 20 hotels in Akumal
New Jersey
“Not a perfect resort but a real good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This resort has a beautiful beach, really nice architecture, but two flaws that they really should correct because it could really be a great place to visit. The two flaws: not enough beach chairs and not enough beach towels.
The hotel is attractive, with a great beach, beautiful large pools, and all you can eat and drink, with the food variety always giving me, a picky eater, some options I could enjoy. They set out loads of fresh fruit and vegetables at the buffet with every meal; along with more than ten choices of main courses. I found the beef too well done and the seafood, especially the cerviche excellent.
I found the staff freindly and helpful and the room clean and comfortable. One day the hot water ran out but this is not a serious problem when the temperature is 80 degrees. I liked the entertainment directors--and the salsa class also.
I was told that due to environmental restrictions they do not have sufficient washing machines to do the towels on site so they ship them and then sometimes run out. Guests "reserve" beach chairs with towels; so you often see many empty "reserved" chairs and no free ones.
I felt that we got great value for the money we spent, and enjoyed the week.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

798 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We decided very early in the year that we wanted a Christmas away and had expectations of a relaxing, worry free and up to par resort for the holidays. This is the exact opposite of what we had for our vacation. We will now reconsider the credibility of Sunwing. Allow me to highlight just a few of the unpleasantries that aided in putting Oasis Tulum much below expectations of any resort vacationer and an unimaginable way to spend our hard earned time and vacation savings.

After the 2.5hr bus ride to our resort, we arrived just before 10pm. Our party of four was the first to arrive in the lobby and we told the reception desk we were very eager to get our room. They immediately requested that we go eat dinner and come back for our room, the man seemed very unsure on checking us in as if they were not ready for us. Even upon us objecting right away they continued to try to persuade us to go for food first, which was not suggested to the other guests beside us. We asked for safe keys for our rooms as they are not digital (which made us uneasy to start with!), this seemed to take an incredibly long time and confused our reception clerk even more. Every party that came in after us had proceeded to get their room and safe keys and were on their way in a timely manner with no issues. If this reception clerk was new, he should have had someone assisting him. We left the desk feeling uneasy and worried about both our rooms and our safes, as well as frustrated with the lack of organization and timeliness. Not to mention, we did not receive any towel cards and had to fight to get beach towels the next morning. Any resort any of us have ever attended has had a fun, welcoming, timely and organized check in that leads the guest excited to begin their stay, this check in was the opposite.

After feeling uneasy about the safety of the resort upon check in we had specifically requested to not be on the ground floor and received rooms 3102 and 3103, which we assumed were 3rd floor. When we finally received our keys, we found that our rooms were very close to the lobby, and therefore the "lobby bar" (if you would even consider it that), as well as being the second and third rooms down the hall on the ground floor. Our room placement was the exact opposite as requested. However, this was not the only issue with the room. As soon as we entered we were overwhelmed with the smell of mould (which I am allergic), there was a large mould stain on the floor of our bathroom, the ceiling was leaking, the mini fridge was empty, the bed sheets smelled as if they had been unwashed for weeks and were unusable to sleep with (I used a sweater and a towel for my first night sleep - how comfortable), the view from our room was a sewage system and an attempted wall of trees to separate the lobby (which did not do it's job whatsoever). In addition, room 3101 on the other side of our headboard was still under renovations and there was persistent hammering behind us until after 11pm. Needless to say, we immediately returned to the front desk and requested a different room. They told us the hotel was completely booked and we would have to wait until the next day. Unsatisfied we begrudgingly agreed and decided to tolerate the awful room for one night with the hopes that he next day we would be able to unpack and truly relax. However, the high traffic area and the late night guests in the "lobby bar" across from where we were placed kept us awake until well after 2am; then awoke us again shortly after 6am with the early rising guests. After a long journey here this is the last way we expected to start our relaxing vacation.

The next morning we informed our Sunwing representative of our room difficulties and he seemed uninterested in helping us at all. We also asked him where things we had seen in the hotel description and photos (ie. the roof top lounge or infinity pool) were located and he had no idea what we spoke of, he told us that must have been a different resort (even though the other family in our meeting had agreed and seen these advertised amenities as well). We disregarded the lack of help from him and proceeded to the front desk at noon (as instructed by the reception the night before), only for them to inform us that we would not be able to change rooms, even as we had seen other guests leaving that morning and knew rooms were available. They asked us to return in an hour, which we obeyed and were asked again to return. We had to return to the front desk five different times that day and finally argue and refuse to leave in order to get a new room. There were, in fact, more rooms because we were moved. This not only ruined the whole first day of our trip but also made us feel unvalued as guests. Were we just expected to accept this subpar room so they could accommodate other guests?

Meanwhile, in between our trips to the front desk, we wanted a bottle of water as we were sitting in the hot sun. We asked the man at the lobby bar but he said he was not open until 11am and we had to ask reception. Reception told us they did not have any there and we needed to go to the beach bar. The beach bar proceeded to also tell us he was not open yet and to go to the buffet. The buffet was closing by the time we reached there. Overall, there is no place on this resort to even get a drink of water in the morning and we were given quite the run around seeking it - what a waste of time! None of us have ever encountered a resort trying to dehydrate us before, most resorts have multiple places for all day drinks or at least stock the fridge in your room!

Throughout our entire stay at this resort our fridges were never restocked, and it's not as if this hotel just didn't provide that service because other guests had informed us that they had received water, pop and beer in their fridge (we even put money in the fridge! Which was taken but we did not get anything). Every day our face clothes and hand towels were removed even if they were not placed on the floor, but we did not always get them replaced. Is it considered having high expectations to expect a towel to dry my hands in a hotel? In addition, about half way through the week the ceiling of our bathroom ceiling began to leak right in front of the sink so that we almost slipped when using the sink; maintenance never showed up to fix the problem.

The food services at this resort matched perfectly with our feelings on the room situation. The restaurants in general were very confusing. The hotel details upon booking had advertised a sushi snack bar, which we originally could not find. Eventually, we learned that there actually two places to order sushi. One was the same location as the swim-up bar, which we found very odd, and the other was between the beach bar and the buffet. However, considering the beach bar and buffet were so close it was impossible to know where or how to even order from that sushi location, and when we asked a server that assured us they would send someone over, nobody came. This wasn't the only slow or non-existant service at this resort, it seemed every restaurant was understaffed in both servers and kitchen staff because it was so incredibly slow. We spent much of our vacation waiting. We hoped the a la carte restaurants would be better, but were disappointed by cold food after at least two hour waits. No wonder these a la cartes did not require reservations, they must have waited until all tables were full and made everyone's at one time! We ended up going to the buffet afterwards anyways, to choke down overly salty and incredibly greasy food. As advertised, there was in fact a clearly labelled "Happy Chicken" during the afternoon. However, it was advertised that this was a snack bar, which at any resort we previously attended does not mean sitting in the shade for over an hour waiting to be served, as this one was. There was no actual snack bar at all at this resort whatsoever.

The "lobby bar" of this resort was truly lacking. There were a total of only four tables for casually relaxing with drinks. There was no other place to go after dinner while waiting for the show to start (unless you wanted to travel all the way back up the road to the casa club by the gate). In addition the "lobby bar" was shared with the Mexican a la carte restaurant and only ever had one bar tender, therefore it always took a ridiculously long time to get a drink. Many times we ended up sitting on half walls or in the dark by the pool because there was nowhere to accommodate us, and we were definitely not going back to our rooms! The first night of our vacation there was supposed to be a spectacular fire show on the beach and we were all excited. However, once everyone was seated and ready to start we were told that the special entertainment had not even shown up! The following shows throughout the week might as well have not shown up either as they were dreadfully unimpressionable. I could have put on a dress and done anything they did. Obviously, subpar evening entertainment and we wasted each night hoping it would be better just for further disappointment. Not to mention, if anyone needed to use the washroom during the nightly entertainment they were gone for at least 15minutes. The "theatre" (which also doubles as the "disco" after the show) did not have a washroom and guests were expected to walk back across the parking lot through the main lobby to the (only) two stalls located there. There was a closer washroom in the same building as the "theatre", however, it was restricted to most guests as most did not have an "all access" VIP wristband.

The pictures and details of this hotel looked absolutely stunning on the advertised website, and considering we were told this resort had been under renovation for quite some time, this is where we believed we were staying. Near the end of our trip we managed to sneak over to the other side of the resort were the "all access" VIP guests were staying (although, there were very few of them over there). We found everything that the misrepresented descriptions had advertised. This part of the resort was absolutely beautiful and looked brand new with a large grand lobby, the infinity pool, roof top lounge, and more. Everything on this side of the resort was brand new and beautifully decorated. Any nice pictures you see advertised are this side of the resort. Had we stayed on this part of the resort I am sure we would not have had the room issues we did. Unfortunately, we were never informed upon booking that the renovations and the beautiful amenities we thought we were getting, were going to be closed off to us. I find this highly unfair and perhaps had we been given the correct description and options we would have had a slightly more enjoyable vacation.

Overall, the management of this resort is completely unorganized! The only good aspects of our vacation were things out of the resort control (ie. great weather). This resort's top goal may have very well been to ruin our vacation and make this the least enjoyable trip we could possibly imagine taking, and they definitely succeeded at that! I am appalled that I even spent money on this resort. The misrepresentations are overwhelming. I would never recommend this resort to anyone and I cannot believe that anyone would ever try selling this as a vacation spot. I will never book at an Oasis resort again. The definition of oasis is: "something serving as a refuge, relief, or pleasant change from what is usual, annoying, difficult, etc." and all four of us found this resort to be quite the opposite of an oasis. This experience will make me second guess booking through Sunwing again, as clearly the resorts which are sold and advertised are not very thoroughly investigated.

Overall advise, do NOT book here. I guarantee you can find much better resorts for similar prices. Whether you are fussy or not, this is not the place to go.

Room Tip: Only book rooms in the "Grand" part of the resort, if any
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed from 12/24/12 to 12/30/2012. I gotta say I am not the most demanding traveler so readers beware. Our stay at this resort was one of the most pleasant experiences we ever had. I gotta start with the people factor as I believe this is the most important factor when it comes to the hospitality industry. Everyone in the hotel was extremely polite and helpful. We felt welcome at every corner in this place. Speaking fluent spanish is a plus but I can not say that they would treat you different if you don't. The problem is that some of the "nice" can be lost in translation but I can assure you the intention is there. We stayed at the Grand Oasis and did not experience any delays of waiting for services. We did this under the understanding the hotel was undergoing remodeling but we did not experience any problems but I can not deny some other people did. You could clearly tell some rooms were under heavy remodeling. There was some inconsistencies in the room service and some items were added later in the stay (furniture) that were not there on day 1. We had also read that we could expect some "inconsistencies" but we were ok with it. I highly recommend this place for the laid back traveler who is looking for a fancy-all-included-place-to-crash-that-is-not-a-hostel after a long day at the beach or site seeing. If your idea of a beach vacation is a fine fancy hotel that looks like royalty then this place may or may not be for you. Expect some things to be slightly less than perfect. We did have close encounters with a roach and the shower could not be used for more than 10 min before water began to spill into the rest of the room (clogged drainage?). The problem with the roach could easily be fixed by making sure dirty plates are picked up daily from the hallways. (some plates where there for 3 days). All and all, I can not say I am disappointed but rather impressed, specially after finding out some of the workers are there for up to 16 hrs a day and they are still nice and polite.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

We booked the upgraded room at grand oasis tulum cause it was advertised as 4.5 star. I would give the grand tops a 3 star. I have travelled to Mayan riviera a dozen times and have stayed at 5+ like secrets and excellence and 3+ like reef club. I will say I AM PICKY because I can only afford one vacation a year so I want to enjoy it to the fullest. I love luxury resorts where the staff kiss your feet and I tip big time for it. I love to be pampered. Well this hotel is far from being luxury. IF you get a deal of under $700 with flight than go, otherwise it's not worth it. In the entire stay there were NEVER any towels available till 2 pm. I think they only start washing them at 8am every day. I had to ask 5 times repeatedly for items like an iron or to fix my fridge. I do speak Spanish so communication wasn't the issue. Everyday in buffet I had to wait and ask for glasses for juice or bowls for cereal. One day they even ran out of bread. You can't call yourself a hotel if you don't have these items. Yes I am picky eater, I like my food clean and healthy not smothered in 5000 calorie sauces. Everyday the fish looked like lard was dripping off it, everything looked extra deep fried. The food was horrible in my opinion. I only enjoyed breakfast. Pancakes were good. I ended up eating just nachos for lunch everyday and barely ate dinner. The hamburgers were so gross I think they were donkey meat. The servers in the restaurants were great except the Mexican. I'm sorry but the waiters there especially the head have a serious chip on their shoulder. And the food was horrendous. Not even Mexican. I wanted simple rice and beans and again everything was just way to greasy. The entertainment guy Benz was great. So a few staff members were good but most were miserable. I actually had one receptionist laugh when I asked her why do I need to ask you 5 times for an iron. I was not trying to be funny. She must of thought I was joking. The beach was beautiful but yes even on the grand side you had to be up at 5am to get a chair. Lucky for me 3 days In a row I left my dirty towels on the same chairs and they were there every morning so I was guaranteed a spot. It's a good thing I recognized the dirty chocolate stain on the towel. So to sum it up if you get a really good deal that can't be beat and your not to picky than go. But if your like me and want super luxury like el dorado or secrets than you will hate this place. Word of warning. There are girls offering to "upgrade" you to oasis viva and palm. Don't do it. I've stayed next door to them a few years ago. Both of them are near the marina in cancun. Horrible noise from boats all day long so not worth switching. Bottom line the problems in this hotel lie in management. They need to train the staff better and invest a lot more money to bring this place up to par of a 4.5 star.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Northern California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I selected this hotel based on its website. We have been to Mexico many times and to the Mayan Riviera several times as well. We are newly married and were really excited to read about the "honeymoon package" and it was one of the main reasons we selected the Oasis Tulum in the first place. For a fee, the “honeymoon package” included champagne, strawberries, a free zip-car rental, an oceanfront room with a king bed, a discount at the spa, and a special “private” honeymoon dinner. (NONE of which we received.) We arrived at the hotel after traveling nearly 24 hours and having no sleep, to a completely unimpressive, rundown “resort.“ I literally thought that perhaps we were at the wrong place. I tried to keep an open mind, though I have never seen or stayed somewhere as old and rundown looking. There was no one to help with our luggage as we pulled up and exited the cab and my husband and myself had to make 2 trips to carry our bags inside. After a 45 minute wait at the front desk, we were told that our room was not ready and to come back in 3 hours. 3 hours after traveling for more then 24 hours??? We were also advised that we could leave our suitcases in the lobby, but to take our personal items and carry-ons with us. My husband tipped one of the bellboys $20 to “take care of” our things and we went to wander around the hotel to find a bathroom and something to eat as the desk staff gave us no information about available services. We proceeded to sit in the lobby for 2 hours and then eat at the sub-par buffet (that we found on our own), all the while lugging our belongings with us. I was unable to use the restroom in the hotel lobby the entire 4 hours we waited, as it was flooded with excrement (all the way from the stall to the sink) not to mention the lack of toilet paper and paper towels. On two separate occasions I saw a cleaning woman in the hall right outside the bathroom and asked her if there was another bathroom that I could use. She shook her head and told me that she didn’t speak English. I then proceeded to ask her in Spanish (not perfect Spanish, but certainly adequate) and she still shook her head and walked away. 3 hours on the dot, we returned to the front desk to get the keys to our room and were told that it was not ready but would be shortly. It took another entire hour and after waiting 4 hours we had a room key. We walked over to our luggage and saw the bellhop that my husband had given the tip to, and he looked at us and then walked away. We ended up having to pay a different bellhop to help bring our luggage to our room. We helped drag our suitcases up 3 flights of stairs and walked into the hottest room I have ever been in in my life. Even the bellboy commented how hot it was. The room was rundown, the bathroom gross and our “honeymoon ocean view suite” was two double beds pushed together. We were too tired to care. The only positive was that we did have a very pretty 3rd floor “partial” ocean view, though the deck had loose and uneven boards and was REALLY scary and dangerous to walk on. We turned the air down as low as it would go and gratefully took showers and fell into bed. Sleep we did not. The room never cooled down one degree. We ended up taking several more cool showers throughout the night to try and cool down and even tried to sleep with wet towels on our necks and faces. Over the next 2 days we called the front desk about 8 times and went down there 3 times a day. Four separate times they sent someone to “fix” our air-conditioning. I use “fix” loosely as each time, a different staff member would come in, lift the cover of the thermostat and move the dial. They’d each assure us that it would be nice and cool in 10 minutes. Nothing changed. Eventually I became sick from the heat (It was between 90 and 100 degrees in our third story room) and finally my husband became unglued. We packed our belongings and went into the lobby to sit until we were moved to a different room. (Missing an excursion to do so.) We were finally moved (carrying our own luggage again) to our second room. This room had air-conditioning, though it reeked like sewage and had a view of the buffet. We were literally so close to the Italian restaurant and buffet that if we sat on our balcony, we could literally see what people had on their plates. This room also had two double beds. Happy honeymoon to us. My husband spent hours every day at the front desk trying to get us moved into an ocean view room that we paid for. Every day, someone different would tell us that we could move rooms the next day. The next day when we would go to the front desk, another staff member would tell us that there was nothing available. The icing on the cake was when sewage (complete with toilet paper) started coming out of the drain on the floor and flooded the bathroom.
After the sewage/flooding incident we were finally moved to our third and final room. This room had a pretty nice view and again, two double beds. It also had zero hot water. Not an ounce. I took the most miserable. coldest showers of my life for 3 days. My husband didn’t use the shower at all and instead had to swim in the ocean or use the public beach shower. Having spent a large portion in the lobby trying to get our room situation taken care of we heard the exact same complaints from guest after guest. We also met several people that were staying in our exact same rooms, with the exact same problems, that were moved into these rooms immediately after us, without the hotel having fixed ANY of the problems. I tired not to let my husband know how upset I was and spent a lot of time crying in the bathroom… We spent so much money, time, and effort on this honeymoon and it was the worst experience of our lives…
This review is already too long but I should probably address the food. We are not big “foodies” and expected nothing exciting or elaborate from an all-inclusive. The food at the buffet was disgusting and there were flies everywhere. There was also ALWAYS the same selections. The a la carte restaurants (all 2 of them) were also sub-par. The drinks were by far the worst I’ve ever had at an all-inclusive. The bar staff was nice and we tipped absolutely everyone but the mixed drinks were still miniature, sugary, watered down and the beers warm. The pool was cold and in desperate need of cleaning, repair and remodeling. The single positive of this resort was that the beach was small but beautiful, thought it was impossible to get a beach chair. I would love to forget this vacation ever happened but the reason I am writing this review is that I would absolutely HATE for anyone else to be mislead by the photos and website and spend so much money on an absolute HORRIBLE experience and resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have been dwelling over how to write my review. I have never had to write anything like this before as I have never been upset like this either. And, to be upfront I will never book a vacation with Sunwing ever again, as they promoted this resort and seemed to be selling it up to the day we left. The website about the hotel is total false advertising. They do not explain that certain things are for certain guests only!!!

Upon arrival to the Oasis we were informed that we didn't have a booking and to come back in an hour and they would see if they could "fit" us in. I was furious. I produced our paperwork from the travel agent and showed them that, yes, I did have a booking. We got nothing but blank stares. They had difficulty communicating as no one at the front desk could speak English fluently, or pretended they didn't. To make a long story short after getting up at 3am to be at the airport for a 6:30am flight... the flight and then the long bus ride to the resort we spent another 4ish hours trying to get a room . Our first day wasted. By the time we got a room it was dark. It was not the room we paid for. I'm still not sure what we got, It was not clean and all I could smell was sewage.. Not good.
We were meeting friends there but their flight wasn't until later. I actually booked the vacation for the four of us. We just flew from different cities. We were supposed to be vacationing together. When they arrived they somehow received an upgrade to the Grand Oasis (only to find out later it really wasn't an upgrade, they had a mirror fall on them while they slept and then moved to a room in the middle of construction and then to another room that had problems as well, So they spent most of their vacation moving rooms, but that is their story). What this supposed upgrade did was segregate us. If we wanted to sit with them while dining we couldn't and first time we did, once the wait staff saw our wrist bands we were treated like second class citizens. Now don't get me going on that.
Basically so I don't have a coronary or a brain aneurysm I will get through this quickly.
We did not get the vacation we paid for.
We spent most of our vacation at the front desk because of problems. They had an "I don't care attitude".
We had to ask everyday and sometimes several times in a day to have our room cleaned.Also most times we had to go back and request towels. On 2 occasions our room was not cleaned until almost 6pm. It is a small resort and I have stayed at ones 4 times the size and never had issues. (Oh, and the rooms were never cleaned properly, I purposely left some goop on the back splash , which was there when we checked into the room, and after 3 days I finally had to clean it myself).. Really!!!!!
Not once did we get water or other beverages supplied to our fridge, which we were supposed to. We had to ask for water at the front desk when ever we needed some. Once they even tried to charge us for it. Really!!!!!!!!!
We were lucky to get beach towels and have them "freshened" once in our week long stay. Talk about "smelly". Oh, and try and get a chair on the beach, almost impossible. Well it seems many leave their towels on the chairs 24/7 and the resort does nothing. I even noticed that the "special" guests from the Grand Oasis, (part of the same resort but different) were allowed to use our beach chairs but of course we could not even "breathe" the air on their beach. At least 50 chairs unused..... Really!!!
The best part of the vacation was the smell of sewage outside our room.. mmmmmm, I think they should put it out as a fragrance.. not!!! (insert major sarcasm here) ..
The food wasn't bad, but the variety lacked severely. the drinks were good depending on which bartender you used.
Basically the service was non existant
I overpaid for my vacation. (I found out others only paid half of what we did and they were upgraded to the Grand Oasis. Fair, no!!!)
Oh, and in the main building where the buffet and a la carte restaurants as well as the bars and beach access is, there were only 2 washrooms with 2 stalls each to facilitate all the guests and workers. They usually were filthy and never had cleaning supplies in them.
All in all the place lacked management. No one seemed to care, not even our Sunwing rep.

I have never in my life wanted to get home from a vacation as I did from this one. We spent hard earned dollars for a vacation that we planned for and looked forward to and ended up stressed the whole time. I felt screwed over, not just by the Resort Oasis but also by Sunwing. We were not the only ones totally displeased with this resort. It was a major buzz on the resort. All the negativity and poor service equaled a very bad vacation/experience and not a happy time. I will never book an Oasis resort ever again and I will never fly Sunwing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Our family just returned from the worst hotel/resort experience of our lives. Suffice to say we will never stay at another Oasis resort.

For starters the website is basically a fraud that was being advertised through Sunwing Vacations. What you see and what you book is not what you get. We booked a Grand Oasis Family Fun Suite, after the two hour bus ride from the airport we waited in line for fifteen minutes while one receptionist kept her head down and the other took fifteen minutes to check in the group ahead of us. It was finally our turn to check in and we were told we were in the wrong place, when asked if we were not at the “Oasis Tulum” Resort he informed us that we were but that there were three buildings at the resort. We were then taken to some Casa Club which was a mile away from everything in a golf cart which was supposed to come every 5 minutes however that wasn’t the case, half the time we had to walk with three small kids. Walking from the main entrance to our room, there was smell of sewage. We finally got the keys to our room and entered. We were horrified. Their definition of “family fun suite” is two double beds shoved together! We then noticed a stain on one of the bed spreads and then inspected the other bed cover to be greeted by what looked to be a blood stain! The bathroom stunk like sewage and was not the cleanest bathroom. We weren’t pleased and asked to be changed and were informed that we couldn’t be moved that night and told to come back in the morning. Long story short we were told the same story for the next few days that we couldn’t be moved for any other reason than this was the room we booked and the resort was full. We escalated to our Sunwing Representative to see if she could help resolve the situation and she told us that because this is a smaller resort that they have no control of the resort; basically we were on our own to resolve any issues or concerns. It took our sewage pump to clog and an ankle high flood in the bathroom and water spilling into the bedroom for them to move us. We went to the reception at the Casa Club to be told we had to deal with the other receptionist at the main Oasis. They moved us upstairs but same type of room. That same day one of their Oasis reps offered us a chance to move to the Grand Oasis Cancun, when we said okay; she left to return a couple hours later (which is typical for the service here) to tell us she couldn’t move us for no other reason than that we were staying at the Casa Club however all our paperwork stated Oasis Tulum. We then had to basically threaten that we wanted to speak to the resort manager. After they disappeared in a small room came back to tell us that they would move us. To be honest the Grand Oasis in Cancun wasn’t all that better. We were greeted by disappointment again same type of room even though it was an Ocean View room. Although the resort was larger and seemed a little cleaner it was still lacking.
As for the other amenities the food was mediocre at best and was by far the worst selection we’ve had compared to other resorts we’ve stayed at. The overall service was horrible no one seemed to neither care nor have any answers and considering that the Mayan/Cancun economy is 99% based on tourism you’d think they’d treat you better. I also got the distinct impression that I had a better grasp of the Spanish language based on “Dora the Explorer” then they had of English. I enjoy tipping for good service at resorts, this one it seems the only way to get anything was to tip. On our first day we were at the poolside bar and ordered some drinks for the kids and two mojitos to be told they don’t have mojitos so we changed our order and tipped the bartender a few dollars. Five minutes later he came to us with two mojitos!!!! Other people saw us drinking the mojitos and asked for the same and were told that they didn’t have them. On our second day they ran out of towels for the beach and pool. At noon we were fed up that we could not dry us or the kids. We found some guy just standing around and gave him a few bucks…miraculously they had five clean towels for us. We learned by other people that you had to basically keep your towels or you couldn’t find any later on. Speaking of beach and pool, good luck finding chairs for the beach unless you were there before sunrise. I think people kept their towels on their chairs overnight so they would have them the next day. We were there at 7:30 a.m. one day and all the chairs were already covered. It was ridiculous the lack of chairs at the beach and pool. I agree with the other reviewers about lack of staff and having to fend for yourself at the buffets and getting your own drinks etc…Another example is the wine that they serve was not the wine bottles that they advertised on the tables. In fact we asked for red wine one night and they told us they didn’t have any but there was a red wine bottle one our table! We then noticed other guests being poured red wine!
We could go on and unfortunately on but will digress. Suffice to say we won’t be going to another Oasis resort and would not recommend them. In fact I think if Gordon Ramsey was looking for a Caribbean Vacation this resort would be a good challenge for his Hotel Hell show!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!