After reading trip advisor we booked our trip for a relaxing week - which sadly didn't happen. One of the key reasons we booked was the rooftop bar ($25/person/day if not staying at the Grand), and the infinity pool - which only the Grand guests have access to. This was also advertised as stay at one play at four, but we were later told that we could go to the other resorts but had to pay our own way there. (Interestingly enough, on the way home on the plane, there was an add for oasis that again advertised this.)
We paid extra for an oceanview room - which ended up being a groundfloor room and having a sliding glass door that didn't lock, a fridge that didn't work, and an open area at the side that anyone could get into.
Halfway through our week we ended up switching rooms after ours was flooded (among other things) and I had to demand a new room. We were upgraded to the Grand, which had only opened a few days earlier.
We arrived at our new room only to find our screen door was broken off, and our glass door wouldn't close because there was a screw stuck in it. We then spent the rest of the week waking up to the soothing sounds of construction beginning at 7am.
Our sunwing representative disappeared halfway through the week with no explanation, after he gave us the wrong time for our tour.
I realize we all have our own tastes, and we found the food to overall be pretty good, and there was lots of fresh veggies and seafood. There wasn't a lot of wait staff in the buffet area, and we had to get our own drinks most of the time - which was fine with us. The buffet is fairly small given the number of people the resort could hold if it was full. We didn't have to make reservations for the other restaurants which made for a lot of crowding at 6:30 when they opened.
Others have commented on the lack of chairs at the beach, and running out of towels on a daily basis - although if u went to the rooftop bar there seemed to be plenty there!
People booking at the Grand - there are two levels of wrist bands there - one gives you access to everything, the other gives you access to everything except the extra food places on the Grand side.
The staff did appear to want to be helpful, although we were surprised at the number of wait staff who could not speak English. Several of the bartenders were very friendly - although the best by far was Ricardo at the roof top bar ... Always a smile on his face a drink in his hand for you!
Front reception staff were often non-smiling, and the ones who did smile were the ones who could not answer most of your questions. We are still trying to figure out why it took four days for us to learn where to get the snorkeling equipment, and it was another guest who told us.
The entertainment staff seemed like lots of fun, and we heard good things about the shows although didn't stay awake for them most nights.
Sadly we will not be going back to this resort. It is beautiful, and has a lot of potential, but our experience was so bad with rooms and misrepresentation that it is not somewhere we want to spend our hard earned vacation.
- Also Known As:
- Be Live Grand Riviera Maya Hotel Akumal
- Be Live Grand Riviera Maya Hotel
- Grand Oasis Riviera Maya
- Oasis Grand Riviera Maya
- Grand Oasis Riviera Maya Akumal
- Grand Maya Riviera
- Oasis Grand Rivera Maya
- Grand Oasis Riviera Maya Hotel
- Club Oasis Akumal
- Oasis Akumal
- Oasis Tulum Riviera Maya/Akumal, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- “People say I’m gorgeous, but that’s just how nature made me: fresh and beautiful, with a price that’s definitely down to earth. I run with the quiet crowd, away from the bright lights and hustle, but my beach is the most extraordinary paradise you can imagine, with its amazing shape and coral reef, and spectacular scenery all around. Bring the family: spend time at my spa while the children check out my super new Kids’ Club.” ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Tingo, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Venere and Otel so you can book your Oasis Tulum reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.