“Their is the Oasis Tulum AND the GRAND Oasis Tulum.....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Tulum

You added Oasis Tulum to your Saves list
Oasis Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km. 251, Akumal 77780, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Grand Riviera Maya)   |
Special Offer
Winter Sale: 40% Off!
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Quebec, Quebec, Canada
“Their is the Oasis Tulum AND the GRAND Oasis Tulum.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Ok, where to start... (FROM 31 DEC TO JAN 7)

First of all, this is a two part Hotel. The first part of it (old one) is the Oasis Tulum. Worst then ever!! Thank god i was not in the section of the hotel, but every people that i knew at this hotel was complaining. No one, NO ONE! was happy. They were saying all the same thing, old rooms, sink didnt work , shower without any press ion and so on.

I was with my wife and my daughter at the Grand Oasis, its abit better, you have access to the restaurant a la carte from Oasis but theres not entertaining at all. 2 Bars, and 2 restaurant and one of them you need to pay 30$usd per person. It sucks!

I could say alot more about this hotel but i will never go back in my life.

Ive been to other hotels in riviera maya, like barcelo, grand bahia principe and grand sirens and the Oasis one is not even at their fingers.

Very very very disappointed

Room Tip: If you want to relax its a nice place, But they have a hard time to speak english
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Montreal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We planned a family vacation to Oasis Tulum. We have been to Riviera Maya before and loved the area and found a good deal. If it wasn't for the beautiful weather everyday and the magnificent beach and coral, this vacation would of been classified a disaster. I would personally rate this hotel a 3-star. We will be back to Mexico but never to this hotel.

Once landed, it took the bus two hours to get to Oasis Tulum. We were the last hotel to be dropped off (not fun when you have a 17 month old and a 4 year old). We arrived at the hotel at 2am and there were mix ups with our rooms. Initially they dropped us off at the wrong lobby then they gave us a room with 1 bed and no crib (I had requested a crib - we found out later that there are only 2 cribs for the whole resort), we were then assigned a room with people already sleeping in it. We only got a room at 3:30am. If you are to book this hotel, best to arrange for private transportation to the hotel.

On a positive note the staff are very nice. But hardly speak English. So ideally it would be best if you are able to speak Spanish.

If you love spending time at the beach, make sure to reserve your chairs at 5am. My husband had to wake up every day at 5am to reserve chairs at the beach. The chairs are all taken by 6am. On one of the days, we got our chairs stolen. There are not enough beach chairs and umbrellas for everyone. Additionally, if you enjoy to snorkelling, bring your own equipment. They only have 4 snorkels for the whole resort.

The food is ok but not the best I have experienced in Mexico. Was disappointed.

The cherry on the sunday was on the last day, our check-out was extended to 1pm so we went to our rooms at 11:30am to take a shower and prepare to leave only to find out they cut the hot water and our shower needed to be fixed. We had to wait until 1pm to take a lukewarm shower and almost missed our bus at 2pm (another 2 hour ride as we were the first to be picked up - very long ride) and we were not able to have lunch.

Room Tip: Book a room by the beach at Grand Oasis. Do not book a Jungle Room at Oasis Tulum. Will be greatly...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Brockville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have been here twice and I am planning on returning again. This hotel is wonderful in my opinion. I have two negative things to say about the place, and dozens of wonderful thing to say. There does seems to be an odor near one building and yes, the Italian 'area' of the resort is unfriendly and weird. We avoid it because you get the feeling you are imposing on their ground.
The restaurants are great at the resort, lots of different foods to choose from. We stay in the oceanfront rooms and love love love them!! The beach is awesome, the coral reef off the beach is incredibly interesting. The water is gorgeous! There is a Tamascal on the beach and we have enjoyed it both times we visited. It is a Mayan steam bath and it is a fantastic experience. A must if you visit this resort.
The location of the hotel is great. Its very close to many of the ruins, zip line courses, parks and of course Playa del Carmen.
There is fun entertainment at the hotel, and a great rooftop bar. We saw fire dancers there, it was incredible!
Cant wait to get back....!

Room Tip: I would suggest the Oceanfront room... you cant beat going to sleep with the sound of the waves on t...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
New Jersey, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I didn't pay five-star price to stay, and I prepared the worst based on the reviews I saw, but it really disappointed me. The food was great, except the Careyes restaurant (don't go there). The location is great. The resort looks great. The staff were nice, but they were not helpful. Our family stayed five days there. The worst is the room. It is no better, if not worse, than any US motel rooms. Our shower was broken, plus the drainage of the bathtub was stuck, the counter outside the bathroom was leaking water, but they refused to change room for us. During our five day stay, our room was forgotten to be cleaned twice, cleaned but didn't provide towels twice, forgot to provide shampoo and body lotion once, no cups for brushing teeth once. Can you expect more in five days? It was the worse motel (should say resort) I ever stayed. I tried to cope with, but I was not happy throughout my stay there. I can't imagine it is a resort that I paid thousand dollars to stay. In addition, we constantly ran into repair workers in the hallway, they seems very busy. Many construction activities were going on around our room. I am not trying to scare anyone away, I want people to be aware what could be expected. We stay in the first floor, maybe our location was the worse because we were unlucky. But you could end up there as well, so be prepared and good luck!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is a beautiful place to relax. The snorkeling is amazing. I highly recommend bringing your own snorkel gear. The hotel rents it out for free two hours at a time, but people dont bring it back and you have to wait.

Room Tip: If you get a ground floor room you can take your patio chairs to the pool or beach so you dont have...
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We went in December 2012 and had an amazing trip. We actually got a (very lucky) upgrade to the Grand Oasis Tulum and had access to a few more restaurants, bars, and parts of the beach at the resort. Still, even without the upgrade, I can say that this place would have been great for the price paid. The staff is very attentive, the food is good, and the pools and beach are great. I was VERY hesitant about this resort after reading the reviews on here, but I'm glad we stuck with it. It is a great place to relax, probably best for couples. Not a ton of activities or night life for younger people. Bring water shoes, as the beach can be very rough. Overall, a fantastic resort and very affordable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Oasis Tulum. The highlight for us was the beautiful beach and the amazing snorkelling that could be found a short distance from shore. The reef was teeming with fish and impressive coral formations. We thought the snorkelling was much better here than at the nearby Akumal Beach (although Akumal did have the turtles). While the resort seemed full (we left Christmas eve), and beach palapas and lounge chairs were always at a premium, the beach area still seemed peaceful and spacious, in comparison to the neighbouring Bahia Principe complex whose beaches were absolutely packed. There was a small but rarely used beachfront pool and a beautiful, very large, also surprisingly rarely used pool, adjacent to the Mexican restaurant.
We stayed in what Sunwing termed a "Jungle Room" which was in a building a few hundred metres inland from the main complex. Our building had its own beautiful pool with a fountain and outdoor palapas with beds that was practically empty most of the time, a pool table, two nice tennis courts and a bar, and a snack bar that served burgers etc. It was very quiet and peaceful. To get to the beach and the main complex we could walk for 5 minutes, take one of the bikes that were available or occasionally ride the little golf cart style shuttle that went back and forth carrying guests and their luggage. It probably would have been a bit more convenient to be in the main complex but we saved more than enough $ to make up for the minor inconvenience (and it still wasn't a huge distance the way you'd find in a mega-resort). Our room had a living room with a couch that my daughter used as a bed, and a separate sort of kitchen area that had a counter and sink, and then a large bedroom with two double beds. There were two flat screen tv's and lots of channels to watch (not that we spent much time watching tv). There was a couple of minor plumbing issues in our complex but they got repaired promptly.
We ate primarily at the buffet which had a fantastic beach view and we thought a terrific variety of good quality food at all meals. We also ate at the Mexican and Italian a la carte restaurants which didn't require reservations and featured live entertainment. Food was decent but you do want to arrive early as we found the service at the Italian restaurant was not the best one night when it got busy later on. We also ate once at the poolside snack bar (the Happy Chicken).
There were activities to be found for those interested: we saw pool aerobics, yoga and beach volleyball and while there was no formal kids club that we saw, my kids were invited to join in an informal kids soccer and volleyball game. My kids just loved the place.
We went to a few of the evening shows and enjoyed the acrobatics of the Circus show the best.
The staff was very friendly and very helpful. It seemed the place was a bit disorganized at times but we found if you wanted something you just had to ask.
We found the location to be fantastic. We walked along the beach to Akumal twice and took a collectivo and cab ride to the amazing Tulum ruins and town which was about 15 minutes south. The hotel also arranged a car rental for us (they only have smart cars on site), and we had an amazing day trip to the ruins of Coba, and to three stunningly beautiful cenotes.
The new "grand" side of the resort is still under renovation. We snuck into the lobby and it looked very chic. Any construction work was inside and we didn't notice it at all.
Overall we had a terrific stay and I'd go back to the Oasis Tulum in a heartbeat!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!