“We love the Grand Oasis <3” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Tulum

You added Oasis Tulum to your Saves list
Oasis Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km. 251, Akumal 77780, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Grand Riviera Maya)   |
Special Offer
Winter Sale: 40% Off!
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Brockville, Canada
“We love the Grand Oasis <3”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have been here twice and I am planning on returning again. This hotel is wonderful in my opinion. I have two negative things to say about the place, and dozens of wonderful thing to say. There does seems to be an odor near one building and yes, the Italian 'area' of the resort is unfriendly and weird. We avoid it because you get the feeling you are imposing on their ground.
The restaurants are great at the resort, lots of different foods to choose from. We stay in the oceanfront rooms and love love love them!! The beach is awesome, the coral reef off the beach is incredibly interesting. The water is gorgeous! There is a Tamascal on the beach and we have enjoyed it both times we visited. It is a Mayan steam bath and it is a fantastic experience. A must if you visit this resort.
The location of the hotel is great. Its very close to many of the ruins, zip line courses, parks and of course Playa del Carmen.
There is fun entertainment at the hotel, and a great rooftop bar. We saw fire dancers there, it was incredible!
Cant wait to get back....!

Room Tip: I would suggest the Oceanfront room... you cant beat going to sleep with the sound of the waves on t...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
New Jersey, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I didn't pay five-star price to stay, and I prepared the worst based on the reviews I saw, but it really disappointed me. The food was great, except the Careyes restaurant (don't go there). The location is great. The resort looks great. The staff were nice, but they were not helpful. Our family stayed five days there. The worst is the room. It is no better, if not worse, than any US motel rooms. Our shower was broken, plus the drainage of the bathtub was stuck, the counter outside the bathroom was leaking water, but they refused to change room for us. During our five day stay, our room was forgotten to be cleaned twice, cleaned but didn't provide towels twice, forgot to provide shampoo and body lotion once, no cups for brushing teeth once. Can you expect more in five days? It was the worse motel (should say resort) I ever stayed. I tried to cope with, but I was not happy throughout my stay there. I can't imagine it is a resort that I paid thousand dollars to stay. In addition, we constantly ran into repair workers in the hallway, they seems very busy. Many construction activities were going on around our room. I am not trying to scare anyone away, I want people to be aware what could be expected. We stay in the first floor, maybe our location was the worse because we were unlucky. But you could end up there as well, so be prepared and good luck!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is a beautiful place to relax. The snorkeling is amazing. I highly recommend bringing your own snorkel gear. The hotel rents it out for free two hours at a time, but people dont bring it back and you have to wait.

Room Tip: If you get a ground floor room you can take your patio chairs to the pool or beach so you dont have...
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We went in December 2012 and had an amazing trip. We actually got a (very lucky) upgrade to the Grand Oasis Tulum and had access to a few more restaurants, bars, and parts of the beach at the resort. Still, even without the upgrade, I can say that this place would have been great for the price paid. The staff is very attentive, the food is good, and the pools and beach are great. I was VERY hesitant about this resort after reading the reviews on here, but I'm glad we stuck with it. It is a great place to relax, probably best for couples. Not a ton of activities or night life for younger people. Bring water shoes, as the beach can be very rough. Overall, a fantastic resort and very affordable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Oasis Tulum. The highlight for us was the beautiful beach and the amazing snorkelling that could be found a short distance from shore. The reef was teeming with fish and impressive coral formations. We thought the snorkelling was much better here than at the nearby Akumal Beach (although Akumal did have the turtles). While the resort seemed full (we left Christmas eve), and beach palapas and lounge chairs were always at a premium, the beach area still seemed peaceful and spacious, in comparison to the neighbouring Bahia Principe complex whose beaches were absolutely packed. There was a small but rarely used beachfront pool and a beautiful, very large, also surprisingly rarely used pool, adjacent to the Mexican restaurant.
We stayed in what Sunwing termed a "Jungle Room" which was in a building a few hundred metres inland from the main complex. Our building had its own beautiful pool with a fountain and outdoor palapas with beds that was practically empty most of the time, a pool table, two nice tennis courts and a bar, and a snack bar that served burgers etc. It was very quiet and peaceful. To get to the beach and the main complex we could walk for 5 minutes, take one of the bikes that were available or occasionally ride the little golf cart style shuttle that went back and forth carrying guests and their luggage. It probably would have been a bit more convenient to be in the main complex but we saved more than enough $ to make up for the minor inconvenience (and it still wasn't a huge distance the way you'd find in a mega-resort). Our room had a living room with a couch that my daughter used as a bed, and a separate sort of kitchen area that had a counter and sink, and then a large bedroom with two double beds. There were two flat screen tv's and lots of channels to watch (not that we spent much time watching tv). There was a couple of minor plumbing issues in our complex but they got repaired promptly.
We ate primarily at the buffet which had a fantastic beach view and we thought a terrific variety of good quality food at all meals. We also ate at the Mexican and Italian a la carte restaurants which didn't require reservations and featured live entertainment. Food was decent but you do want to arrive early as we found the service at the Italian restaurant was not the best one night when it got busy later on. We also ate once at the poolside snack bar (the Happy Chicken).
There were activities to be found for those interested: we saw pool aerobics, yoga and beach volleyball and while there was no formal kids club that we saw, my kids were invited to join in an informal kids soccer and volleyball game. My kids just loved the place.
We went to a few of the evening shows and enjoyed the acrobatics of the Circus show the best.
The staff was very friendly and very helpful. It seemed the place was a bit disorganized at times but we found if you wanted something you just had to ask.
We found the location to be fantastic. We walked along the beach to Akumal twice and took a collectivo and cab ride to the amazing Tulum ruins and town which was about 15 minutes south. The hotel also arranged a car rental for us (they only have smart cars on site), and we had an amazing day trip to the ruins of Coba, and to three stunningly beautiful cenotes.
The new "grand" side of the resort is still under renovation. We snuck into the lobby and it looked very chic. Any construction work was inside and we didn't notice it at all.
Overall we had a terrific stay and I'd go back to the Oasis Tulum in a heartbeat!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

I loved everything in the resort, very beautiful place. Im def coming back to that resort when i get a chance and for a longer time. I want to thank the most David, Freddy, and Lorena for making our stay in the resort better and more comfortable. ¡Viva La Mexico!

• Stayed December 2012
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed at Oasis Tulum from 12/15-12/17/2012, and were pleasantly surprised by how nice the place was considering the negative reviews that many have shared about the place.

We checked in and initially were put into a Garden Room despite booking an Ocean View, but the front desk staff immediately fixed the problem for us. The room was comfortable and clean, with a regular shower head (neither room had a detachable head, as I have seen in reviews on this site). We immediately went down to their gorgeous beach, and enjoyed a drink. Go for the Ocean View room. Doesn't cost much more, and is well worth it.

We spent our first full day outside of the resort on a trip to Chichen Itza, so did not try lunch at the hotel, but we were happy with the breakfast buffet. Lots of fresh fruit, omelets made to order, a salad bar, cereal, pancakes, waffles, sausage, scrambled eggs, chorizo, and more. Several fresh juices to choose from. We ate dinner at the Mexican restaurant both nights we could (I always avoid lunch/dinner buffets when possible at all-inclusives), and the Mexican restaurant was delicious. On one night there was great live music (including an incredible harp player). There is a salsa bar there which has lots of great choices. We enjoyed fajitas, pork pibil tacos, and a seafood ceviche. All very good! We did try the Italian restaurant one night but it was understaffed. We waited so long we just went back to the Mexican restaurant and were helped right away.

Overall, I was very impressed with the quality of the resort, the food and staff. We had no problems whatsoever. If you are looking for a place near Playa del Carmen or Cancun which will occupy your every moment with activities, this may not be the place for you. However, if you are looking for a really attractive hotel within 2 hours of Chichen Itza and near Tulum with a fabulous beach and good food, this is a great, affordable option. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Go for the Ocean View room. Doesn't cost much more, and is well worth it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!