“Much nicer than previous reviews,” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Tulum

Save Saved
You added Oasis Tulum to your Saves list
Oasis Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km. 251, Akumal 77780, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Grand Riviera Maya)   |
Ranked #18 of 20 hotels in Akumal
Incline Village, Nevada
“Much nicer than previous reviews,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We arrived last nite with trepidation after reading recent reviews. Our only small problem was at the first building where a guard told us it was closed and offered no other explanation. On a hunch we drove further down the driveway and found a very welcoming and very much open resort.It seems only the extra public section out front is closed because they are not at capacity and don't need it! They had our reservation but did need a printed copy off our iPad. We worked that out with the very sweet English-speaking consierge. W ewere shown 2 rooms and given our choice and then had a very tasty dinner in the mexican grill, while a mariachi band played softly (a first for a mariachi band in my experience!) nearby. Today we had breakfast in the buffet which is bright and clean with windows all around looking out at the carribean sea. All the usual fruits, etc and delicious made to order omelettes and good coffee.
The beach is beautiful, the water calm and clear and a reef just off-shore for good snorkeling. The hotel is not full but there are people here from nearly every European country, US,and Canada, even Mexico,and the staff tries hard to be helpful to them all.
It is too bad that some people have had a bad experience here but I would guess that they are working hard to improve things and I would not hesitate to make a future reservation or recommend it to friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

813 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Mobile, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I went to the Oasis Tulum in May of 2012. It was clean and the staff was okay. Some (like, Hugo, the bar tender) were excellent and some questionable at best (the girl at the front counter who barely speaks English and is kinda of a mess as well as the sketchy 'activities directors.' One was okay and the other was probably on drugs - no joke. He would sit down wherever I was and hit on me if my husband wasn't sitting right there. Ridiculous!

Overall the food was good, but it did advertise several restaurants and not all of them were operational at the time which was disappointing. Additionally, I wanted to work out while I was there, but my only options were swimming or running because the fitness center was closed for renovations there entire week we were there.

All that being said, we did have an enjoyable time as we didn't spend much time there. We were out scuba diving and exploring the Mayan ruins both of which are amazing.

We didn't pay much for this trip, since we went on a groupon. For the price, it wasn't bad, but it's by no means the luxury resort it was advertised to be. It has a lot of potential though and I think with a little housekeeping with the staff that isn't doing a good job would really improve a lot of things.

Had all the restaurants been open and the gym as well, I would've been much happier with the place. The rooms were always well kept and cleaned and I loved the location directly on the beach. It's a beautiful property so it's really ashame some of the staff doesn't take pride in working there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I went with a group of ladies ranging from 18 to 60 years old and we all enjoyed the first 2 days of our week there and were bored for the rest. They are far to remote to not have nightly entertainment! The bars and lounges were deserted every night. The staff they had were a mix of nice to rude. Although the few activity/entertainment staff they did have tried really hard to be fun and engaging. Housekeeping left our balcony door unlocked every day even though we called the desk to complain and left a note on the balcony doors. We had a balcony that was right next the hallway so easily someone could have stepped over the rail and come in. I stayed in a room with my mother and we didn't feel safe coming in our room alone! The area was beautiful but the buildings our rooms were located in were not in great condition. Had a hard time getting more than one washcloth even when we asked for them. With all the other beautiful resorts close by I would never come back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Plainfield, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I will write more but after a wonderful stay at another resort (for a week), we set off for the Oasis Tulum. Upon arrival, the security guard looked at us weirdly and exclaimed they were closed and had been for two months due to construction! We were notified 3 days prior; however, we didn't have good internet coverage to check our emails. The security guard was just going to send us packing...(where would we go??). My husband and the taxi cab driver finally got a manager who told us we were booked at the Oasis Sens which was 2 hours away! Sheesh.....

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lisbon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I spent 2 nights in this hotel and swore I would never step foot in it again. I was there with my husband and 2 year old son last year. We purchased our stay through the internet and it was considerably cheaper than purchasing directly with the hotel. Could this have been the reason for such a horrible reception??? I wonder... First, the receptionists couldn't find our reservation than we insisted that we had proof of reservation on the internet. They insisted we paid for the internet in order to take out proof of what they should of had in the first place. Receptionist was really stuck up by the way... no smile the whole time... practically rolled his eyes every 5 minutes. Than we were taken to a room completely different from what we had reserved. The room was near a part of the hotel which was being fixed at the time). Dust everywhere and chipped walls. Then we asked to speak to the manager whom they said was not there at the time, which later we found out was a lie and got to speak to him personally. He changed our room, but still the room was way far from what we expected. It sounds pretty unbeleivable if you take into consideration the awesome reception hall and restaurant, not to mention outdoor pool... really beautifull. I guess if you stay here you should purchase the most expensive suites. Well I can go on about the service, but every time I remember it just makes my skin crawl. In short, don't go there unless you want awefull service.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
T
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband, sister, her husband and I planned on celebrating two birthdays at this resort and were really excited about. We book the resort 3 months in advanced got our airline tickets. everything was set when less than 2 weeks before we leave and the resort decides they are going to do construction to the resort and cancels our reservations. Now we have airline tickets and plans to go to Tulum and no place to stay. This is a BIG inconvenience. trying to find a beachfront resort in less than 2 weeks within our budget has proven to be very hard. Beware of this resort canceling without any compensation what so ever.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was at Oasis Tulum in 2010 (decided to now write a review about it) and the place and scenery was breathtaking! the hotel lobby itself when you enter is quite nice, and the infinity pool is quite relaxing! the beach is also quite nice, not too m any rocks. the service at the restaurants on site was always excellent, very nice and friendly staff, also at the hotel bars the service and drinks were quite good. However, the rooms could be nicer, was a little disappointed by the beds, and lackluster decoration (it was your typical mayan inspired deco, but the bathroom, bed and floor looked outdated) otherwise i really enjoyed my stay, I recommend it to anyone looking to book a getaway in Riviera Maya.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!