“Beautiful Resort!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Tulum

You added Oasis Tulum to your Saves list
Oasis Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km. 251, Akumal 77780, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Grand Riviera Maya)   |
Special Offer
Winter Sale: 40% Off!
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Akumal
Cleveland
“Beautiful Resort!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We stayed 5/31-6/7/2012 and had a great vacation! I was also very concerned after reading all the negative reviews but it has obviously already come a long way. The beach is picture perfect and one of the nicest I have ever been to. The food is great and you will NOT go hungry. You do have to figure out the restaurant schedule (available at front desk) because all 3 restaurants are open for dinner but it's usually a different one each night. We tried all three restaurants (Italian, Japanese & Mexican) and they were all great. You also have to explore the entire property when you arrive because there is a huge pool in the back with two swim up bars and three smaller pools in the front along the beach. There is also a night club on the lobby roof that we wouldn't have found if someone hadn't told us. The property itself is absolutely gorgeous but the rooms are in need of maintenance. Do not judge the entire resort by the first impression you get of your room. Get out of your room and enjoy!!! Thank you Manual, Orlando and all of the great staff!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

WOW! Just returned from an incredible trip at Oasis Tulum with my family. June 12 to June 22, 2012. New management is working hard to make this a wonderful hotel. Staff if friendly, hard working, polite, and eager to please. Great Food the entire time, Best Beach...other hotels in the area have a bad beach with rocks and coral.... the beach is soft white sand... like a wading pool.

Cooks go out of their way to make special meals, all the food is in abundance and delicious. Bartenders are friendly and make great drinks. Everyone I talked to loved the Hotel... all were amazed at how nice the place is and what a tremendous value it was. Our room was a lazy stone's throw from the water's edge.... AMazing!!

You do not want to miss the opportunity to stay at this resort... It's not crowded and it's a TREMENDOUS bargain. The staff NEVER asked for a tip, but they certainly do appreciate them as their salaries are greatly enhanced with your help.

I can not speak highly enough about the great Hotel. Other hotels I saw were crowded,noisy, and very expensive... if you want lots of noise, crowds, and to spend A LOT of money .... go somewhere else....

Room Tip: If you can get an ocean front room... they are incredible... but other rooms are great too.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

The beach is beautiful and clean. The reef starts almost immediately. We saw a variety of tropical fish, corals, and turtles just a short and easy swim from the beach.
The staff was very friendly and helpful, and help we did need. The room was clean and well appointed, but some of the fixtures are old and need to be replaced. The maintenance staff came right away and took care of a malfunctioning tub faucet and a stuck sliding glass door. For an all-inclusive, I was surprised that we needed to rent snorkel equipment. The advertised fitness room was under construction and unavailable, and there aren't many fitness classes or activities, and next to nothing for teenagers. The food was far too salty, and the specialty restaurants, although quieter and well appointed, had no better food than the buffet. The best food by far was the Mexican food.

Room Tip: Oceanfront definitely!
Anaheim, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

had a blast what can I say this hotel was AWESOME! Very clean the staff was always cleaning the windows,reception area, everything. Food was good they have several options. Went there with my girlfriend. The main thing that i liked was the beach access. Everybody gets caught up on the room, forget that cause you dont travel to an exotic place to stay in the room all day. Dont be fooled by the fancier hotels they may have nicer rooms but your going to pay more and have crappy beach access. With that said this hotel has the best beach access trust me. We walked from our beach to the other resorts and as you go further north they all have huge rocks and even the sand is more rockier. There is also great snorkeling at oasis tulum as me and my girlfriend were surprised at the fish we saw with in 20ft from shore. We also noticed playa del carmen has alot of small fishing boats the water isn't as clear and the hotels are more pricier we would not stay at playa del carmen. All in all i enjoyed it and would stay there again simply because of the superior beach, clear water and attendance by the staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Corona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

I also booked the Groupon and read all the reviews prior to going. Wasn't sure what to expect as some people were very negative and the hotel seemed to be changing ownership. We arrived late in the evening and were welcomed with a welcome drink. Service was great the entire time. The staff was friendly and fun. It helped that my boyfriend spoke Spanish and I understand a lot of it, but the staff knows basic English.
We didn't get an oceanfront room, but we still had a view of the ocean outside of our door and a view of garden from balcony. Behind us was the lush jungle and you could hear all of the sounds of exotic birds and insects. It is probably a good idea to wear bug spray (Off) as you are next to jungle, but room is in no way full of mosquitoes. My boyfriend got bit, but that's because he didn't wear any when we went to Kantun Chi eco park, and I got a few bites probably from when I was out at night.
Room was nice. It's not the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons, but for us, we weren't there for the room. When you are in a tropical paradise, who wants to stay in the room?
The food was surprisingly really good. I've stayed in Cancun once and hated the food there. The buffet here was very tasty and had a different selection each time. I've been to Vegas buffets that have a huge selection, but the food is always average. This place has a smaller selection, but it's pretty good. I regret that we didn't have a chance to visit all the restaurants. We made it to Akeru on the last night and it had an Asian menu. It was very nice atmosphere and good food. Presentation was nice and comparable to a fancy restaurant. Service was a little slow, but that's probably because we were used to convenience of buffet. There is only one restaurant open each night, but this is expected for an all inclusive resort.
The entertainment was different each night. We really liked the Caribbean dancers and Fire show. The bar and dancing was kind of dead, but that's only because there wasn't a lot of people at resort and some that were there didn't seem to like to party. Reuben, Fabio, and the bartenders Orlando and Adriano were really fun and did their best to keep us happy and entertained. We met some great people and closed it down almost every night. (FYI: you might be stopped by security for jumping in pool and ocean in middle of night!) Point is that we always had a drink in our hand if we wanted one. Dos Equis is the beer on tap and bartenders can make all kinds of mixed drinks or shots. Be sure to tip well because they deserve it.
Aside from the staff, the beach was the best. If you walk out about 5 steps there is a reef with fish. Water is perfect temperature, clear, and fairly calm. Sand is white and soft. We took water shoes and snorkel gear and saw all different types of fish right near our hotel. I definitely recommend bringing water shoes because there is a lot of life and reef near the shore and you don't always know what you are stepping on. There was a warning for sea urchins. We walked down to the other resort, Bahia Principe, and the beach was very different. The waves were stronger and there were so many rocks it would be impossible to walk out in water. Color looked different too because there were so many rocks. It was also very dirty with trash washing up on shore. At Oasis Tulum, the staff was constantly cleaning, renovating, or providing service to guests.
This beach is also famous for the turtles. There are many turtle nests on the beach that are cared for by an ecological group. We went out late at night and found HUGE turtles on the beach kicking up sand to prepare to lay eggs. There are many people from ecological center that make sure the turtles and eggs survive. They are passionate and knowledgeable about the turtles, but they will probably let you watch as long as you are quiet and respectful. They said not to flash white light from camera at turtles or touch because it will scare them and they won't come back. They said the turtle we saw may have been 80 years old because it was so big. If you speak Spanish it is a plus because they can teach you a lot.
Overall, this trip was a great experience. I learned a lot, met great people from all walks of life, and enjoyed the natural environment and what the resort had to offer.

Room Tip: We got a standard room on top floor overlooking garden, but you can also see jungle and the beach if...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
CLE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We got the groupon and then found all the negative reviews. We went there thinking it was gonna suck. Not sure what people are talking about. my Wife, 10 yr old son and I had a great time. Good food, clean, not too crowded, nice beach with tropical fish. Sun beds and chairs, nice staff. If we read the negative reviews prior to purchase, we wouldnt have gone. Glad we gave it a chance!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Went June 6-10, 2012. While the front desk staff really don't speak much English at all, the English/Spanish blend we preformed got the job done. I highly recommend knowing some spanish or you will be lost! But the hotel was nice. True to the pictures. Infinity pool, shaded awnings, drinks etc... nice! The staff were very friendly - not terribly prompt but they were trying. While only 1 restaurant open (buffet) - the food was great. The outdoor snack bar was ok. Buffet has tons of rolls, cheeses, salad, fresh meats... The other 2 restaurants they were still painting/preparing etc... so there were definitely parts not open yet - hence the Groupon that was offered I'm sure. Can't complain there!

The biggest issue we had was the shuttle drivers recognizing which hotel. Learn to say Oasis Tulum is the same as Grand Maya Riviera is the same as BeLive (Oasis es lo mismo que Grand Maya Riviera y Believe - tiene tres nombres pero es mi hotel!) because depending who drove and picked us up even the shuttle services had trouble. Plus the sign out front does NOT SAY Oasis Tulum yet. (FAIL there- but I'm sure it's coming!)

Reef all along the shore. Friendly staff. It'll probably get better in Sept when they fully open! The better beach for snorkeling is Akumal (take a taxi -it's worth it. Stingrays and giant sea turtles in my first 30 minutes and I never saw any at our beach at Oasis Tulum. Of course, that's not the hotel's fault.) The showers are wierd. they don't offer privacy from the other people in your room. Don't be too modest!

The lifeguard and staff are friendly. I was nervous to snorkel out to the edge of the reef so the lifeguard jumped in and snorkeled with me. I just asked him to keep an eye on me and next thing you know he took me on a short tour. I was impressed by the service and appreciative.

Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: They upgraded us to ocean view - SCORE! 3rd floor had great view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!