“We liked it!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Tulum

You added Oasis Tulum to your Saves list
Oasis Tulum
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. Chetumal-Puerto Juarez, Km. 251, Akumal 77780, Mexico (Formerly Be Live Grand Riviera Maya)   |
Special Offer
Over 50% Secluded Resort
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Akumal
CLE
“We liked it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We got the groupon and then found all the negative reviews. We went there thinking it was gonna suck. Not sure what people are talking about. my Wife, 10 yr old son and I had a great time. Good food, clean, not too crowded, nice beach with tropical fish. Sun beds and chairs, nice staff. If we read the negative reviews prior to purchase, we wouldnt have gone. Glad we gave it a chance!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Went June 6-10, 2012. While the front desk staff really don't speak much English at all, the English/Spanish blend we preformed got the job done. I highly recommend knowing some spanish or you will be lost! But the hotel was nice. True to the pictures. Infinity pool, shaded awnings, drinks etc... nice! The staff were very friendly - not terribly prompt but they were trying. While only 1 restaurant open (buffet) - the food was great. The outdoor snack bar was ok. Buffet has tons of rolls, cheeses, salad, fresh meats... The other 2 restaurants they were still painting/preparing etc... so there were definitely parts not open yet - hence the Groupon that was offered I'm sure. Can't complain there!

The biggest issue we had was the shuttle drivers recognizing which hotel. Learn to say Oasis Tulum is the same as Grand Maya Riviera is the same as BeLive (Oasis es lo mismo que Grand Maya Riviera y Believe - tiene tres nombres pero es mi hotel!) because depending who drove and picked us up even the shuttle services had trouble. Plus the sign out front does NOT SAY Oasis Tulum yet. (FAIL there- but I'm sure it's coming!)

Reef all along the shore. Friendly staff. It'll probably get better in Sept when they fully open! The better beach for snorkeling is Akumal (take a taxi -it's worth it. Stingrays and giant sea turtles in my first 30 minutes and I never saw any at our beach at Oasis Tulum. Of course, that's not the hotel's fault.) The showers are wierd. they don't offer privacy from the other people in your room. Don't be too modest!

The lifeguard and staff are friendly. I was nervous to snorkel out to the edge of the reef so the lifeguard jumped in and snorkeled with me. I just asked him to keep an eye on me and next thing you know he took me on a short tour. I was impressed by the service and appreciative.

Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: They upgraded us to ocean view - SCORE! 3rd floor had great view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We bought the Groupon deal and are glad we did, we went there with our 2 teenagers June 8 - 12. We had low expectations after reading many negative reviews, but our only complaint (which isn't that much of a complaint) was our room - we weren't able to upgrade to a bigger room (none available) and the way the shower was set up it was a little more open, which was uncomfortable for our daughters. We had an 2nd floor oceanfront room (called oceanview but it was oceanfront), the view was amazing. We were able to get a hammock for the balcony, great place to relax. The staff was amazing & friendly - a little bit of a language barrier with the front desk, but nothing that made our stay miserable.

The resort does need a little TLC, but workers were everywhere working on it and everyone says hola to you.

We went to the Italian restaurant one night and loved it. Our daughters liked the buffet, they could always find something to eat. It was very quiet while we were, which we quite enjoyed. We were able to get one of the beds by the infinity pool each day which was extremely comfortable and a great place to hang out.

The snorkeling was great, we always bring our own snorkel & mask when we travel. We rented fins from the surf shop at the end of the resort - Tim (the owner?) gave us a deal to rent them the entire time we were there, gave us some great information to do while we were there. Definitely feed the fish with a roll from the buffet.

We took a Collectivo to get into Playa del Carmen to shop, it took awhile to get there as it made a lot of stops, but it was cheap. We used a taxi to go to the Tulum ruins and our driver waited there for us while we walked around.

We were able to get 4 water bottles a day, we would see the water delivery person and ask him to put 4 in our room and he always did. Housekeeping did a great job cleaning our room, we always left a tip for them, loved the towel animals they left on the bed.

I think once all of their renovations are done, this will be a great resort to visit, we would consider returning.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed here for 4 days.. Just got home!! Beach and environment were absolutely beautiful! A place to stay with a significant other or group of friends!! You need to make your own entertainment because the resort does not have a lot going on and is empty!! There is only one specialty resturant at night not seven like they say! But the specialty resturant was a lot better than the buffett. Rooms werent bad! Overall a great value and cant complain!

• Stayed June 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Ok so I just returned from this resort today with my wife. We stayed from June 2nd - 9th. Now we are very easy going people and love to spend our time at the beach. If you are looking for a crazy resort with shows and night life this is not it. We as many people did read all the terrible reviews on trip advisor and actually talked with many people at the resort who also read the terrible reviews and just don't see how you can just completely bash this resort. So i will give my thoughts on what they will need to improve on as well as what we enjoyed.

Improvements- as you may know the hotel has changed management and the have been doing may updates to start the process of fixing this place up. It is not falling down as some have described but it does need a little TLC to get it back up to beeing a beautiful resort. The restaurants were good but hot so they cold turn on the AC but food was great. Service was a little slow but who cares you are on vacation. Buffet was ok but I mean it's the buffet its not going to be amazing. We could always find something to eat. It is a bit miss leading about the snorkel equipment and mini bar. No mini bar just a bottle of water. You can get a drink almost at all times during the day so once again who cares you are on vacation. We only slept and showered in our room so it was sufficient. Any one complaining about a musty smell I mean come on I haven't stayed at a place that has not been a little damp in the Caribbean. The front desk staff could be a little nicer. Bring your own snorkel stuff and you won't regret it.

What we enjoyed- bar, wait, and cleaning staff were amazing. We loved our bartenders Hugo Migueal, and Ferenando. These guys work so hard and were awesome. Take a little time learn there names and get to know them. They are great people and we tought each other a little english and Spanish. There are amazing colored fish right close to the beach all u need is some bread or crackers and they will be all around you. The cleaning people also work very hard and are always cleaning something. Our room was cleaned every day and new towels. People rake the beach every day and keep it very clean. Other people from the resort next door would come here to swim. The sea turtles lay there eggs at night on this beach and are marked off so that was cool 2. Also at night you will see hermit crabs all over. This place has so much to offer but does not have the the little things more expensive places offer.

We had a great time here and would go back for sure. But we wait for a good deal always. If you are into crowded beaches and waiting in lines then don't come here. If u like to relax and chill all day this is the spot. No lines always a chair on the beach or by pool.

Thanks oasis the wife and I had fun this week.

We got a great deal on this place and it was so worth it.

Room Tip: Get ocean front it's worth it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I agree with everything that has been written here over the last few weeks. My husband and I stayed from May 26 thru June 3rd and we were ready to come home. Although we made the best of the situation, we did feel duped and bamboozled with the promises that the property boasts on their website and online promotions. Deceptive is an understatement.

To their credit, they are making cosmetic updates to the property every day, however, you can't excuse the lack of air-conditioning and functioning plumbing when booking an exclusive get-a-way. Nothing in our room worked properly...phone, alarm clock, shower drain. Worse yet, our room was infested with mosquitos...every morning I would wake with a new welt. When we called to have things fixed, the language barrier was too huge. We gave up and sucked it up~! Why? Because the beach was stunning. And that's where we spent most of our time.

The food was fantastic to our standards, but I can see where people would complain. It's gourmet fusion and quite interesting. You will not find a taco or quac and chips to save your life. Cheeseburger? Not exactly what you're expecting if you order one from the snack bar!

The staff was fabulous. I was tempted to tip them more because the resort was a ghost town. On our last few days there were no more than 75 people at the resort. Most guests were local families with children (small babies). Another Groupon, maybe?

Being seasoned AI travelers, my husband and I are able to roll with the punches. We had a nice time but felt terribly for everyone who was totally thrown by the lack of amenities that this resort was able to provide, yet did not. Mini bar? One bottle of water per day. Period. That's not a mini bar as defined on their website. We are going to try and secure a small refund. But if not, we will rest easy knowing we are helping others make an educated decision about this resort.

WAIT...at least a year. This place is not ready yet :(

Room Tip: The oceanfront rooms are in dire need of rehab. Don't be seduced in getting the upgrade...even...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Ok my wife is crazy about Groupon and we bought the deal for 4 nights for $400 and what a mistake that was. In the Groupon it said "be the first to stay in a newly remodeled resort". Total lie. We read reviews on here and tried to return the Groupon before we went but they wouldn't let us so the 6 of us tried to be positive about it. There's only 2 good things about this place- free wifi in the lobby and the friendly staff. I felt bad for the staff knowing they are working in a place that owners does not care about.

This place was garbage! We went through 3 rooms until we got a place worth staying in. All couches were stained and nasty. One room smelled so bad we couldn't stay. Another room had to have AC fixed. Restaurants had no AC. Oh and there's 7 restaurants but only one open a night. I could go on and on about what a bad place this is.. no valet or doorman to carry your luggage.. under staffed.. bad beach.. dirty everywhere.. lights flicker like a horror movie

Anyway we checked out after the first night and got a refund from the Groupon Promise. We stayed in the actual town of Tulum and it was SOOOO much better.

NEVER STAY HERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, even if its free.

Room Tip: No room is worth your money
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Oasis Tulum? Share your experiences!